• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hidden Gems and Under-The-Radar Recommendations - Steam Winter Sale 2016

sn00zer

The entire Darksiders Remastered series (deathinitive and warmastered) is 10 bucks. I love the series to death so it's an easy recommendation from me. Make sure you play DS3 on the highest difficulty if you like stylish action games.

Caves of Qud is interesting, but really fucking hard. I feel like it's got a lot of cool ways to build your character, but not a ton of actions you can do early on. I'd say it's almost more about survival than exploring and deep dungeoning. It has some of the coolest ideas I've seen in a rogue-like, though, and it's updated weekly with some of the most amazing change notes.

Reading about it, it reminds me of the old 90's sci-fi roguelike Mission Thunderbolt. There's not enough sci-fi roguelikes, so Caves piques my interest, even though it's all ascii art. I like the fact that they're starting to add some Dwarf Fortress-esque generated lore to the world. It's been on my wishlist for a while and it's still Early Access, but I'm tempted to pick it up.

1upsuper

Caves of Qud is interesting, but really fucking hard. I feel like it's got a lot of cool ways to build your character, but not a ton of actions you can do early on. I'd say it's almost more about survival than exploring and deep dungeoning. It has some of the coolest ideas I've seen in a rogue-like, though, and it's updated weekly with some of the most amazing change notes.

Tales of Maj'eyal is pretty deep and has lots of cool classes with a good variety of useful skills / spells that you get access to fairly quickly. All the dungeons have a theme / gimmick which is pretty interesting, but can get a bit repetitive after a few playthroughs. Luckily the expansions add a lot of variety if you start to get bored. There's also a fun arena mode you unlock an hour in.

Thank you for the info, I really appreciate it!

Purkake4

Banned
Unforgiving in the best possible ways. Nothing captures the dirty brutal encounters of works like The Road or No Country, like Neo Scavenger and The Last of Us. Neo's turn-based system is so unique and gripping, and captures that desperate combat better than anything else.
Yup, a really fun indie game from last year. Pretty interesting ending as well, if you ever get there.

Toad.T

Banned
So I doubt it, but are there any Pikmin-like games on sale? (Or even not on sale) I've seen every other Nintendo series get a tribute, and i'm in the mood for a Pikmin game, yet I've played them all to death.

I assume the only option is Little King's Story, which I own and love.

So I doubt it, but are there any Pikmin-like games on sale? (Or even not on sale) I've seen every other Nintendo series get a tribute, and i'm in the mood for a Pikmin game, yet I've played them all to death.

Aside from LKS, Overlord 1 & 2 technically fit the bill, just note that they're more action-adventure/RPG-y than Pikmin. The first is pretty cool, and I imagine the second is better, but for whatever reason I never got too deep into it.

And don't worry about the new Overlord (Fellowship of Evil), it's nothing like the old ones.

In what way? Having a unique horde to command?

Check out Anarcute and Okhlos
DrzKlxh.gif
LotsOfPeople.gif

I wanted to like this game but the art puts me off. It's weird, I play plenty of older 16-but, even 8-bit games, older PC games and indies but this ones doesn't work for me for some reason.
Funnily enough, I found the art oddly charming. The sprites and attacks had more complex animations than I was expecting

StereoVsn

Funnily enough, I found the art oddly charming. The sprites and attacks had more complex animations than I was expecting
For me it wasn't the sprites but the super flat background for environment. It's just off and my pet peeve for indie games (and especially retro strategy games).

One of the best tower defence games on Steam. A pretty great sequel, with coop (cooperative and competitive), and a pretty fun singleplayer campaign.

It's 75%, and just 3.74€ right now.

Been playing this lately:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/514220/

It has some really neat modes. You can either play it RPG style with an overworld or play through the game linear fashion level by level.

The first was so-so but this one rectifies all the issues the first had. First was fun, don't get me wrong, but the sequel is much improved. Controls are tight and old-school.

Made by a Gaffer, to boot! Will be picking up the PS4 version, too.

ggx2ac

Root Double -Before Crime * After Days- Xtend Edition - 50% off ($17.49)
HardcoreGamer review
VNDB (average rating: 8.29)
An explosion occurs at a nuclear research facility, and a rescue team is trapped inside. In addition to the rescue operation (Route A), you also see the events leading up to the incident from another point of view (Route B). The plot then goes on to unravel the conspiracy behind the incident.

+ Great plot with satisfying answers to all the mysteries
+ Generally likeable characters with believable motivations
+ Interesting choice system (though it is a bit fiddly)
- Art style is painfully generic even if it's high quality
- Route B has a few pacing issues and the game has some annoying repetition near the end
- Minor translation issues leading to some awkward sounding lines

I just finished playing through this. If anyone is interested in a mystery VN with a lot of drama then play this game.

This was in my discovery queue and looked interesting so I went ahead and picked it up. Got a couple of hours into it already and I'm enjoying it. It's a story driven SRPG with XCOM style combat. Great pixel art and a good story. The game takes place on a huge colonial ship in space and has a great atmosphere to it. Recommended at its current price of $4.41

This was in my discovery queue and looked interesting so I went ahead and picked it up. Got a couple of hours into it already and I'm enjoying it. It's a story driven SRPG with XCOM style combat. Great pixel art and a good story. The game takes place on a huge colonial ship in space and has a great atmosphere to it. Recommended at its current price of $4.41

The dev's next game is taking the basic gameplay concept and making a game inspired by Indiana Jones/adventure serials

PathwayGif01.gif

Burt

Yeah, I gotta second this even, although I picked it up way back and not in this sale. Really well made, great art, and can certainly be a tough one. Got bagged on in reviews at release (and still is, judging by a quick look at Steam reviews) for not playing well, but most often it was cases players expecting an exact XCOM clone and not playing the game well. Unfortunate stuff, because it really is a great game.

On a related tangent, reminds me of how when I went to pick up Age of Decadence tonight I was going through reviews and all the negative ones were, "WHY CAN'T MY LIBRARIAN TAKE ON ALL THE GUARDS AT ONCE F THIS GAME"

giphy.gif

The dev's next game is taking the basic gameplay concept and making a game inspired by Indiana Jones/adventure serials

PathwayGif01.gif
And yeah, this looks incredible

Haven't played Armello since its various updates came, but I enjoyed Thea a lot more than vanilla Armello. It's a much heftier game than Armello. Some people really are put off by all the card gaming parts, but that's right in my wheel house so I am all about it. Armello is more pure board and card game, also totally in my wheelhouse, but felt a little shallow at the time I last fired it up.

That said, talking about both has convinced me to reinstall both, just to test them out on my new steam link/controller, ya know?

I reinstalled both. Played Thea for a few hours today, and it got some sweet updates since I last played too. Loving it. Got a reasonably good start too, so hopefully I avoid tragedy for a while longer.

I reinstalled both. Played Thea for a few hours today, and it got some sweet updates since I last played too. Loving it. Got a reasonably good start too, so hopefully I avoid tragedy for a while longer.

Thea: The Awakening? They added some new events and portraits, improved the UI a bit, and, I think, messed with how research/resources work. On top of bug fixes. All very good changes, but the UI stuff in particular makes it feel like a new game.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I assume everyone already mentioned Pixeljunk shooter ultimate plenty of times? Its less than 2€ and apparently combines Shooter 1 and 2 into one massive game...

...I didnt even know there was a Shooter 2 until recently. I loved 1 on consoles then got the steam one on some bundle but never played it because I had finished it on console already, when I saw that ultimate one initially I dismissed it, I thought it was just a remaster or a version with some new challenge levels or something, but apparently its a whole new thing.

Also Halfway is awesome, I wish I had finished it.

DD

Been playing this lately:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/514220/

It has some really neat modes. You can either play it RPG style with an overworld or play through the game linear fashion level by level.

The first was so-so but this one rectifies all the issues the first had. First was fun, don't get me wrong, but the sequel is much improved. Controls are tight and old-school.

Made by a Gaffer, to boot! Will be picking up the PS4 version, too.

Wow, this looks great! Too bad it costs a liiitle bit more than what I currently have on my steam wallet. Added to the wishlist.

Nete

The main problem with Halfway is it lacks variety. Weapons, abilities, enemies, situations... for 2/3 of the game feels very, *very* repetitive. During the last part it changes a bit, but is too late (and not enough) to make a true difference.

Outside that is a nice little game. I really enjoyed the ~20 hours I got of it.

And the music is GREAT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61kLZESyh6g

d00d3n

List of games I bought, see if any interest you (alphabetical):

I was thinking of passing up the sale this year, but I queued up most of these games today. Fortunately for me, the Steam payment system doesn't seem to be working right now. My browser has hanged for five times at this point while trying to give Valve their 100 Euro, so I guess it was not meant to be. It is really nice to save all that money, actually. I am feeling rich today, so thinking of doing some AAA preorders on cdkeys.com instead.

Deadbolt is great little gem of a game, it's made by Hopoo Games, the developer of Risk of Rain.

You play as death, but in this universe he's a hitman tasked with killing gangs to reap their souls. It basically plays like the more difficult offspring of Gunpoint and Hotline Miami. You die in one hit so you have to use your weapons and environment to your advantage. It's got a really neat setting and aesthetic as well, highly recommend it, it's only like 6 bucks during the sale.

hqdefault.jpg

abracadaver

Enemy Front is only 2,99€ (-90%)

header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/256190/

I never even heard about this game until 2 days ago. It's a really solid WW2 FPS game using CryEngine. As someone who thinks we don't have enough good FPS games this caught me as a huge surprise. Can also be played with a bit of stealth, has optional objectives, looks good and also has achievements. Reviews said the game was buggy when it released but I've played a few hours now and had no problems so far. Really enjoying this.

Compressed Steam screenshot:

Moobabe

Dungeon of the Endless
Right now it's only $3

DprKNXe.jpg

This has become my most played Steam game. I love it to death. It's kind of a turn based strategy rogue-like where you attempt to escape from a 12 floor tower. You have to gather resources, recruit new party members, set up defenses, and level up characters along the way. You can choose from different types of pods, which change the game conditions a bit, such as making monsters aggro when you research, or increasing weapon damage while decreasing your defense.

The learning curve can be a bit steep, but once you get the hang of it it's one of the most satisfying games to play. The music is pretty relaxing too, in an odd, otherworldly way.

I've also been impressed with how much support it's gotten since it came out. There's been several new characters added for free, and they haven't been afraid to do patches even this far from release. There is some DLC, but it's not needed. I do like it, and it's cheap, but I'd recommend waiting until you know if you like the game.

+1 to this recommendation. Probably my favourite of the "Endless" games and a bargain to boot.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

Just bought it. It looks good,.

Yeah, I gotta second this even, although I picked it up way back and not in this sale. Really well made, great art, and can certainly be a tough one. Got bagged on in reviews at release (and still is, judging by a quick look at Steam reviews) for not playing well, but most often it was cases players expecting an exact XCOM clone and not playing the game well. Unfortunate stuff, because it really is a great game.

On a related tangent, reminds me of how when I went to pick up Age of Decadence tonight I was going through reviews and all the negative ones were, "WHY CAN'T MY LIBRARIAN TAKE ON ALL THE GUARDS AT ONCE F THIS GAME"

giphy.gif

And yeah, this looks incredible

I have not played XCOM yet but read the reviews for Halfway and it sounds more frustrating than fun.

I was also not a fan of Age of Decadence. I thought it was too ambitious. But I played it when it first came out, and it might be possible that they changed some things. I played as a non-combat merchant. I felt "forced" to go into that role because I never figured out the combat based on the tutorial.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I still have 20€ in my wallet but I can't think off anything else I want. I refunded muchmore than I anticipated this year cause I wasn't feeling a lot of stuff I bought and I didn't even really buy that much this year.
If somebody knows something in the vein of Abzû or Proteus, something that's super relaxing and gorgeous to look at I'd be grateful, otherwise I might just save my 20€ for 2017
Doesn't need to play like those two but something that's just looks good and is kinda relaxing to play.

Wok

I still have 20€ in my wallet but I can't think off anything else I want. I refunded muchmore than I anticipated this year cause I wasn't feeling a lot of stuff I bought and I didn't even really buy that much this year.
If somebody knows something in the vein of Abzû or Proteus, something that's super relaxing and gorgeous to look at I'd be grateful, otherwise I might just save my 20€ for 2017
Doesn't need to play like those two but something that's just looks good and is kinda relaxing to play.

Listen to me.

9. Seasons after Fall ; a peaceful and relaxing experience.

IC5

If you like the idea of carving your own path from the existing terrain, with simple, powerful controls: Tiny and Big is a must buy.

And it even runs great on Intel integrated video.

Alastor3

Massive Chalice for a measily 2€

It's so cheap that it almost annoys me. The game is excellent, and the price is ridiculous.
The game got some criticism for not being as polished as XCOM (a game where the marketing budget was larger then the dev budget for MC), but for this price it's a must have for anyone interested in turnbased strategy games.

It shouldn't really be thought about like an XCOM clone, but rather something inspired of both that and older console strategy games, with a strategy layer of it's own.

If you're a fan of the genre, and looking for something new to play, it's just silly to pass on this.

Eurogamer - Recommended

Quarter to Three - 5/5, GOTY 2015

I cannot recommend this enough!!! I think I bought it for 5$ and it was well worth it, I finished it and I might play it again with the goofy names.

So I picked up Forced Showdown, and it's pretty great. It's a single player twin stick shooter that is part SMASH TV, part MOBA (only from the standpoint that it has multiple characters with unique abilities), and deck building card game. So as you play you unlock cards, and those cards can be used in decks. Some are generic, some are character specific. Between rounds in your current arena, you'll draw cards that you spend mana on to put into play. Some are temporary and only last in the next round. Some are continual through the rest of the arena. Really fun game.

baconcow

Tales of Maj'eyal is pretty deep and has lots of cool classes with a good variety of useful skills / spells that you get access to fairly quickly. All the dungeons have a theme / gimmick which is pretty interesting, but can get a bit repetitive after a few playthroughs. Luckily the expansions add a lot of variety if you start to get bored. There's also a fun arena mode you unlock an hour in.

You should be able to make several builds that are capable of heading to the
caves to the East
at the very start. I usually head there and level up well beyond level 5 before I head
North
. There are usually a couple entrances and several floors to that cave. Those enemies can be handled at around level 2-3, which is easy to obtain heading there on the surface. At least, this was the case when I played it mostly before the summer. Survival is a big aspect, mainly on the surface. If you head into that cave, water and food before a non-issue (as there are plenty of creatures to eat and ways to obtain liquid) and you can spend most of your time taking loads of loot back and forth to the town merchant. There have been a few seeds where the bottom floor of the
nearby well
lead to yet another incredibly random set of floors that had me lost for literally an hour or more (real time). I ended up coming out at an entirely different area.

I feel I spend 75%+ of my time underground or on
surface ruins
. Look around. There are a lot of places to lose a lot of time into. A good build can literally open up a ton of options early on.

I recommend using that attack that shoots like a magic missile and pairing it with something physical. I also use a light generation spell or mutation. What kills me, everytime, are the
robots
to the
North

Edit: Added spoiler tags for those who may not want to know those details.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
FURI (30% off - € 13,99)

*snip*

One of the 2016's biggest surprises. 'An abstract, modernized take on the PunchOut formula' would be the most succinct way of the describing the high-octane gameplay and it's mixed together with a dash of bullet hell-esque shenanigans of increasing complexity, depending on who you're facing. FURI at its core is a challenging, brazen boss rush title that damn near perfectly blends melee and ranged combat together, with the difficulty curve itself never feeling unfair thanks to the universal tells providing ample legroom for you to react. Anyone who claims otherwise by saying this game is trial-and-error (a common complaint) on a first playthrough did not have sufficient understanding of how the attacks were consistently telegraphed across the board, pure and simple. The Game Bakers (the team behind FURI) knew which key components were crucial in order to design well-made boss encounters and the unlockable Furier difficulty proves this even further by maintaining this cutthroat (yet reasonable) balance after upping the ante via redesigned, more aggressive patterns.

Even though the developers themselves were previously unproven, they managed to sign up prolific talent to help create this project. The mind behind of Afro Samurai for example (Takashi Okazaki) drew all the characters and there's an abundance of notable synthwave names who contributed to the all-new soundtrack. Aside from that, the art direction has a clean celshaded look to it and the voice actors / actresses delivered charismatic performances, with triple audio (ENG / JP / FR) to boot. Lastly: there's also a Speedrun Mode (leaderboards included) which cuts all the exposition in between boss fights if you just want action with no frills and there's ample replay value if you're the type of player who to strives to achieve the highest possible rank.

Bottom line: buy this if you're into gratifying skill-driven experiences. Bonus points for the devs being cool peeps.

This sounds/looks pretty dope. Punch Out style games are a smart thing to come back. They were basically rhythm games, and people are getting super into these games that make you look/feel like a god after you master them.

butzopower

proud of his butz
You should be able to make several builds that are capable of heading to the
caves to the East
at the very start. I usually head there and level up well beyond level 5 before I head
North
. There are usually a couple entrances and several floors to that cave. Those enemies can be handled at around level 2-3, which is easy to obtain heading there on the surface. At least, this was the case when I played it mostly before the summer. Survival is a big aspect, mainly on the surface. If you head into that cave, water and food before a non-issue (as there are plenty of creatures to eat and ways to obtain liquid) and you can spend most of your time taking loads of loot back and forth to the town merchant. There have been a few seeds where the bottom floor of the
nearby well
lead to yet another incredibly random set of floors that had me lost for literally an hour or more (real time). I ended up coming out at an entirely different area.

I feel I spend 75%+ of my time underground or on
surface ruins
. Look around. There are a lot of places to lose a lot of time into. A good build can literally open up a ton of options early on.

I recommend using that attack that shoots like a magic missile and pairing it with something physical. I also use a light generation spell or mutation. What kills me, everytime, are the
robots
to the
North

Edit: Added spoiler tags for those who may not want to know those details.

I've managed to get to level 10+ a few times but then died at
the horrible place with conveyer belts and flames and oh god it's horrible!

I haven't played in quite some time, I really should revisit it. I feel like I never know what stats I should be putting where, I should look up a build guide again, or just start experimenting with some extremes to figure it out.

My original post was more in recommending a roguelike for someone looking to just get into their first deep one. I feel like CoQ would be a very hard roguelike to start with, maybe even harder than DF these days.

Top Bottom