• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hidden Gems and Under-The-Radar Recommendations - Steam Winter Sale 2016

Wok

Judge Dredd is actually quite good for a typical gamebook adaptation.

Two or three days left and the game will be removed from the Steam store for license drop.

Thinking of getting Armello or Thea: The Awakening, I don't know much about either but see them recommended a bunch in strategy game threads. Should I pick up one over the other?

Haven't played Armello since its various updates came, but I enjoyed Thea a lot more than vanilla Armello. It's a much heftier game than Armello. Some people really are put off by all the card gaming parts, but that's right in my wheel house so I am all about it. Armello is more pure board and card game, also totally in my wheelhouse, but felt a little shallow at the time I last fired it up.

That said, talking about both has convinced me to reinstall both, just to test them out on my new steam link/controller, ya know?

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Quick question, it seems that the "More like this" section at the bottom of each game's steam page is gone for me, can someone else check and let me know if it's there for you?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
As much as I'd like to get Assault Suit Leynos, I am massively turned off by its use of sprites.

GreatBird

Neo Member
I've got two games to contribute:

Battlezone 98 Redux: An old classic, remastered. A unique combination of RTS and first-person action: 66% off. http://store.steampowered.com/app/301650/

CONSORTIUM: A reletively new game that is underrated and still remains a largely undiscovered gem. A murder mystery, on a plane, in the future. Includes a narrative that is heavily affected by player actions and decisions with some fourth wall breaking stuff similar to Undertale : 80% off. http://store.steampowered.com/app/264240/

Waxwing

CONSORTIUM: A reletively new game that is underrated and still remains a largely undiscovered gem. A murder mystery, on a plane, in the future. Includes a narrative that is heavily affected by player actions and decisions with some fourth wall breaking stuff similar to Undertale : 80% off. http://store.steampowered.com/app/264240/

Second this- not enough people have played it. This is what people want when they say they want decisions to actually matter. Short, but replayed it several times to "solve" it. Can't wait for the sequel.

The first 2 to jump to mind for ne were Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble and Dream Quest, but both are 10. Dream Quest is worth it for that though

SnowTeeth

Banned

They gave this game away yet people still didn't play it. I hope they manage to fully fund the sequel.

I just finished Toren earlier today as my 52nd game. Its kinda shit. I kinda loved it.

The graphics arent very good but I really like how it looks artistically. It plays like shit but I like the ideas they have. The story is abstract incoherent gibberish, but its the japanese style of incoherent gibberish, it has heart. Its like its trying to emulate those weird japanese games, and kinda suceeding? So yeah, I was into it. But its kinda bad :p

I recomend it :3

I just finished the game and this review perfectly captures it. I loved it! Though it's probably the most unpolished game I actually liked. I'm happy I got it.

FURI (30% off - € 13,99)

vzhsne.gif

One of the 2016's biggest surprises. 'An abstract, modernized take on the PunchOut formula' would be the most succinct way of the describing the high-octane gameplay and it's mixed together with a dash of bullet hell-esque shenanigans of increasing complexity, depending on who you're facing. FURI at its core is a challenging, brazen boss rush title that damn near perfectly blends melee and ranged combat together, with the difficulty curve itself never feeling unfair thanks to the universal tells providing ample legroom for you to react. Anyone who claims otherwise by saying this game is trial-and-error (a common complaint) on a first playthrough did not have sufficient understanding of how the attacks were consistently telegraphed across the board, pure and simple. The Game Bakers (the team behind FURI) knew which key components were crucial in order to design well-made boss encounters and the unlockable Furier difficulty proves this even further by maintaining this cutthroat (yet reasonable) balance after upping the ante via redesigned, more aggressive patterns.

Even though the developers themselves were previously unproven, they managed to sign up prolific talent to help create this project. The mind behind of Afro Samurai for example (Takashi Okazaki) drew all the characters and there's an abundance of notable synthwave names who contributed to the all-new soundtrack. Aside from that, the art direction has a clean celshaded look to it and the voice actors / actresses delivered charismatic performances, with triple audio (ENG / JP / FR) to boot. Lastly: there's also a Speedrun Mode (leaderboards included) which cuts all the exposition in between boss fights if you just want action with no frills and there's ample replay value if you're the type of player who to strives to achieve the highest possible rank.

Bottom line: buy this if you're into gratifying skill-driven experiences. Bonus points for the devs being cool peeps.

Looking for 2D action games with good replay value and mainly melee combat focused. Already have Valdis Story, Dustforce, Guacamelee, Aces Wild, Dust, Shovel Knight, Strider. Something cheaper than Salt and Sanctuary.

Wozman23

I just finished the game and this review perfectly captures it. I loved it! Though it's probably the most unpolished game I actually liked. I'm happy I got it.

It was on my radar pre-release, and I kind of felt the same way about what I saw, so I disregarded it. Maybe I should give it a try.

xeris

You and me both.

I never got around to playing it so I can't say first hand, but I heard that 100% Orange Juice has some similarities.

Someone more familiar with !00% OJ have some thoughts?

Having played both, I'd say it's close-ish. 100% Orange Juice doesn't have the depth of Culdcept, but it is probably the only thing I've seen even close. The game itself is decent enough, but the story can be a bit twee.

pastrami

If anyone is looking for a turn-based tactical game, check out Templar Battleforce: http://store.steampowered.com/app/370020/

Fun game and the developers are great. The game was released over a year ago, and they are still updating, balancing and adding content to the game. And it's not even in Early Access!

The game is also available on iOS and Android. If you want to check it out before you buy it, there is a demo available on Android (probably iOS as well).

Hey wait a fucking second

The Aquatic Adventure of the Last Human is only $2.50. It's gorgeous, difficult, and the music is sublime. I recommend based off what I've played so far.

Dungeon of the Endless
Right now it's only $3

DprKNXe.jpg

This has become my most played Steam game. I love it to death. It's kind of a turn based strategy rogue-like where you attempt to escape from a 12 floor tower. You have to gather resources, recruit new party members, set up defenses, and level up characters along the way. You can choose from different types of pods, which change the game conditions a bit, such as making monsters aggro when you research, or increasing weapon damage while decreasing your defense.

The learning curve can be a bit steep, but once you get the hang of it it's one of the most satisfying games to play. The music is pretty relaxing too, in an odd, otherworldly way.

I've also been impressed with how much support it's gotten since it came out. There's been several new characters added for free, and they haven't been afraid to do patches even this far from release. There is some DLC, but it's not needed. I do like it, and it's cheap, but I'd recommend waiting until you know if you like the game.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
List of games I bought, see if any interest you (alphabetical):

Adventure in the Tower of Flight

It's a gameboy color-styled platformer. I bought it on pure aesthetics, honestly. And it was cheap and reviewed well.

Adventures of Pip

Heard good things about this game last year. Play as a hero who can switch between a single pixel, an 8-bit hero, and a 16-bit hero form, all with different abilities. I just recall it getting praise last year.

After Life - Story of a Father

I like interactive stories and this one seemed up my alley.

Axiom Verge

I've been curious about the game and figured I'd pick it up to see what I think. I definitely can enjoy Metroidvanias, but a bit picky with them. Many say this is one of the best, though.

Behind the Memory

It was released right before the sale started (and on sale during the sale), and features an interesting world and interactive narrative. Intrigued enough to pick it up.

Ben and Ed

It's a 3D platformer and one of the most unique 'runner' games out there. Game show-styled comedy game where you play as a zombie who can be dismembered by the environment as you go through obstacle courses to try to win the show and save your friend. I was interested in it, so picked it up.

Bizarre Earthquake

I admit I picked this one up since I think it has the potential to be so-bad-its-good. It was also only $0.49, so I figured, "Why not?"

Blackwell Epiphany

I really need to play this series... Anyways, I owned the first four games, this is the fifth & final game, it was 80% off, so I picked it up to complete the set. I've heard this is a great point'n'click series, anyways.

Bohemian Killing

I saw this game on release, it's kind of a court/investigator simulator, it caught my attention and was 80% off, so got it for something different, even if a split opinion on it.

Clandestine

I bought two copies. This is a co-op stealth game, one person plays the stealth person and the other monitors the areas to not only pass information but solve puzzle, deactivate and hold things, distract guards, and more. Heard it's a very fun co-op game and want to play with a friend sometime.

Cockroach Simulator

It looks dumb but fun, kind of strangely reminds me of Mister Mosquito, and has online multiplayer where people evade being squashed while doing stuff. I like weird games starring animals, apparently.

Daemon Detective Gaiden

For some reason I really took a while to the games style and concept of defeating 99 demons. Good reviews and a cheap price lead to me taking it on.

DashBored

I was seeking quirky looking and interesting underlooked RPG Maker games. I found one.

Demon Hearts

Challenging puzzle-platformer where you switch between different demons with different abilities to bypass challenges. Liked the style and music and it had good impressions.

Devolver Digital Hidden Gems Bundle

It's a bundle of a few games, some I already owned like Dropsy & Not A Hero. The new games I got from the further discounted bundle were:

-A Fistful of Gun
-OmniBus
-OlliOlli2: Welcome to Olliwood
-Okhlos

Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor

This one was recommended to me by Manly_Badass when I asked for weird and charming exploration games in the Hidden Gems topic. I'd never heard of it before, but seemed right up my alley! Love the pixely 3d style, alien world, and the story sounds ut could develop in an interesting way.

Dream Dealer

This one barely had a discount and I think many would dislike it, but it reminded me a bit of games like Yume Nikki & LSD, so I had to pick it up.

Eclipsed

This game's in early access and plans to increase price overtime, so I picked it up now. It has good word of mouth and is supposed to have well done puzzles and an intriguing developing storyline which attracted me to the title.

The Eigengrau Menagerie

Surrealist adventure game that was super cheap.

Elegy for a Dead World

Exploration game of someone exploring a dead world. I love exploration and minimilist story telling, plus very positive word of mouth.

Flitz the Fox

Really cheap Gameboy-styled platformer. Decided to give it a shot off positive reviews and style choice.

The Forgotten Forest

It was a a horror game I hadn't picked up for $0.49. I also support the RPG Maker scene, so picked it up to forge my thoughts as I play. Kind of expecting meh, but I've been surprised before.

I am Weapon + DLC

I basically pick up every horror game, this is more of a top-down action game with horror themes, but you could get the whole game + its DLC for less than $1, so I picked it up. Collector and plan to play sometime.

Iggy's Egg Adventure

A 2.5D platformer where you play as a dinosaur, only $1 and good reviews. I need more dinosaurs and 2.5D platformers in my life.

Illuminascii

I don't know. It's got middling reviews, but I really liked its visual style, so I decided I'd give it a chance. Though the angle seems like it could be potentially dumb.

The Indie Mixtape

I'm all for experimental games, and this is a pack of 5 such games by different developers in one. I hear some are hits, some are misses, but I like the idea and as it's been underlooked definitely, thought I'd give the games a chance and support the movement. Some look quite interesting, too.

Insanity's Blade

Pixely sidescrolling platforming action game, it was less than a buck and I liked some of the thematics like the plague, the environments, etc.

I Want To Be Human

You play as a quirky vampire girl who is in love with a boy, but due to her relationship with him misfortune befalls him. We're off to save him in this weird and stylisticly weird version of hell as we want to become human and be with him. It looks insanely quirky and the developer is a stand-up fella.

Karma. Incarnation 1

Surreal comedy adventure game with 'mind bending puzzles', my favorite kind. Another case of it was super cheap, and well reviewed (and I like weird things).

Kyoto Colorful Days

I bought one of the cheapest decently rated visual novels I could find on Steam I didn't own.

The Land of Eyas

REALLY underlooked and almost all the reviews said this was a great exploration puzzle-platformer that was a real hidden gem. It looks nice, so bought it.

Life of Pixel

You play as a 'pixel' who can switch the era of game he's from between 13 different styles. I found the concept and look interesting, so on-board!

Lost Bros

It was compared to Volgarr & Super Meat Boy, you control three brothers in an abstract and challenging platformer in an interesting world.

Lovely Planet Arcade

I had already owned the original, and love the style of these games. Was super cheap so I picked it up.

MechaNika

An adventure game with an interesting style I had seen for a while but decided to pick up. Looks charming to me.

Melody's Escape

This is a rhythm runner platformer I've heard good things on, put your own music in and play and has an active workshop/modding community. So I figured, eh? I bet I'll get some enjoyment out of it.

Midsummer Night

I recall I saw this game a few times before I picked it up this sale. I don't know why I didn't before, maybe not a big enough sale for me for me or something, but love the type of pixely style is does.

Mimpi Bundle

Play as a dog in a strange yet charming world. Puzzle-Platformer, and I love those charming odd worlds.

MinosMaze - The Minotaur's Labyrinth

I really liked the early 3D look of the game, plus got it cheap in one of the Steam bundles since I already owned the other game. I also like the whole 'Minotaur maze' concept which goes beyond just a simple maze.

Momento Temporis: Light from the Deep

This one I debated on, but picked it up. Supposed to have a good exploration element and I kind of like the "Explore a big, dangerous world" thing in games. To see how I enjoy it.

Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight

It's had my eye for a while, and I decided I couldn't put off picking it up anymore after that emotional speedrun done at Games Done Quick, picked up to support and bet I'll enjoy it.

Monument

It was $0.59, and I kind of liked the low-res look for a FPS it had. It has middling reviews and not expecting anything great, but I thought some of the environments and enemies were charming in screenshots.

My Night Job

Pseudo-Horror Arcade game where you do a night job and survive until a time with arcade-like gameplay against monstrosities. Have to beat down hordes and try to not trash the place and keep it tidy. Oh boy.

NEStalgia

Picked up a 3-pack for friends. Want to try a bit, though as a NES MMO I imagine it might be a bit of a time sink.

The Orphan Dreams

The main character of this game creeps me out. Anyways, it's got horror elements and I passed on it at launch to pick up when cheaper, it's cheaper, so I picked it up. The dream element intrigues me, the perma-death element I'm a bit worried about.

OutDrive

I love that 80s synth retro aesthetic, for only $0.74.

PANORAMICAL

I love experience exploration games and this one is quite vibrant and with a music theme. Heard good things so picked it up.

Planet of the Eyes

An atmospheric platformer where you explore a strange world with good environmental story telling. I liked the concept and the reviews, so picked it up.

planktOs

A very pretty indie exploration game set under the sea. No real action, but seems relaxing and it is gorgeous.

Pharaoh Rebirth

Bought off a recommendation in the Hidden Gems topic. A Japanese sidescroller that was released episodically I think just looks charming.

prog.1

You play as a computer virus in a world being programmed. I think the idea is neat, the style is pleasing, and very few picked it up. For a dollar I decided to pick it up and check it out.

Projector Face

A short adventure game where you play as a character who can't talk but has a projector for a face. Can show movies. Set in an olden era with an odd character and interesting film mechanic.

The Room of Black & White

I love the style of this game and it missed its window to do well. Apparently it had crashing problems on launch, but they had fixed them, but it came and passed in attention, most of the reviews (which there's like, 4 total of) made before the game patched itself. The one person who played it patched and left a review liked it. Play as two girls in a monochrome world, one is white in a world of mostly black and the other black in a world of mostly white, where they are a mirror of and effect the other. Seems charming to me, and is Japanese in origin. Intrigued me and decided to give it a shot.

ROOT

It was a cheap stylistic shooting game I heard many thought was a steal for the price. I like these little hidden titles, as I'm sure you can tell.

Save Home

I had seen this title on release, it was above the pricepoint I was willing to pay for it but was interested enough, so told myself I would pick it up when cheaper. It's now 90% off, so I picked it up. Simple setting up traps and a field to defend a house game, I know it's probably a bad game but something about it attracted me, and being less than a buck I decided to pick it up.

Six Sides of the World

Really cheap and heard it's a fun and unique puzzle game. I was intrigued and like the six-sided cube management puzzle aspect.

SOEDESCO bundle

I owned everything in this bundle already outside of Tic-Toc-Tower, which looked interesting to me and as I had everything else it was super cheap in the bundle, so picked it up.

Soulless: Ray Of Hope

Blind buy with interesting style of a cute or dark world, I did.

Space Hole

Only $0.49 and people said a surprisingly good 'ball' game with comparisons to Super Monkey Ball and Marble Madness. I figured, eh why not?

Spaceman Sparkles 3

So many people who played it called it a genius and beautiful boss rush game with an amazing soundtrack, so I had to check it out.

Star Sky 2

I owned the original, like little experience games like this, and it was only a buck. Relaxing~

The Tale of Doris and the Dragon - Episode 1

You play as an old woman in purgatory who meets a dragon. Said to be surprisingly funny and touching.

Trash TV

An atmospheric puzzle game where you plat as a TV, there is no dialogue and the story occurs naturally. Starts off easy and then gets really challenging as it goes. Takes place in an interesting world, so had my attention.

TRI: Of Friendship and Madness

The locations look trippy in this game. That's why I bought it.

Trip to Vinelands

It was $0.49 and I liked the style and concept for that cheap of a price. All there was to this, really.

Turok

I actually have never played the Turok games. I want to amend that.

Untamed: Life Of A Cougar

You apparently play the game as a couger and the game opens up with you mating and having cubs. You must now protect your cubs and help them grow. It seems like a good mixture of interesting, fun, weird, funny, and morbid to me.

Void & Meddler

It's a currently releasing episodic adventure game in a cyberpunk sci-fi setting. I've heard it has some serious flaws of the adventure genre in it, but also has an amazing atmosphere, an amazing soundtrack, and an interesting main character.

Waste Walkers

I picked up the complete bundle. A post-apocalyptic survival game made in RPG Maker, I support that scene and this one has good word and looks fairly unique, so decided I'd give it a whirl. I think the branching story stuff is interesting.

The Witness

Most expensive game I got this sale, but it was its steepest discount yet and I know I'm going to like it. Love exploration, the art style, and puzzles (though only decent at them).

Worlds

I've heard it described as a strange hybrid of Splinter Cell meets Yume Nikki. That sold me on it, a surreal stealth game is up my alley.

Zenzizenzic

Incredibly stylistic twin-stick open world schmup with an insanely catchy OST and unique style.

1upsuper

Lots of excellent recommendations in here; I've got a big cart full of stuff now!

I've been wanting to get into one of the super deep roguelikes like Dwarf Fortress or Nethack. I love the genre but I've only ever really played console iterations of the genre. Should I go with Dwarf Fortress, Nethack, or Cave of Qud, which is currently on sale? Or something else?

As for my own brief list of recommendations:

Maldita Castilla EX
Odallus
Volgarr the Viking
Undertale
Shadowgate 2014 remake (the remake is SO good, especially if you've played one of the original versions)
Legend of Grimrock I & II
Elminage Gothic

aravuus

I've been wanting to get into one of the super deep roguelikes like Dwarf Fortress or Nethack. I love the genre but I've only ever really played console iterations of the genre. Should I go with Dwarf Fortress, Nethack, or Cave of Qud, which is currently on sale? Or something else?

Dunno about the latter two, but I went into DF all those years ago with pretty much zero ASCII roguelike experience and while it did seem intimidating at first, I had fun from the very start. Just follow some beginner tutorials for the first hour or two and you should get the hang of the basics pretty quickly.

Oh also, download PE's starter pack (here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076). Has the game plus some incredibly useful utilities, like Dwarf Therapist.

1upsuper

Dunno about the latter two, but I went into DF all those years ago with pretty much zero ASCII roguelike experience and while it did seem intimidating at first, I had fun from the very start. Just follow some beginner tutorials for the first hour or two and you should get the hang of the basics pretty quickly.

Oh also, download PE's starter pack (here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076). Has the game plus some incredibly useful utilities, like Dwarf Therapist.

Thanks a bunch!

Can't really vouch personally for quality, although it did review quite well when it came out....

Cladun X2 is for 75% off for what seems to me like the first time it's ever been on sale. I've you've been biding your time on this one for a big discount, now is your chance.

Tomasety

My personal spanish indie developed games list recommendation:

- http://store.steampowered.com/app/233980/ Unepic
- http://store.steampowered.com/app/463270/ Ghost 1.0
- http://store.steampowered.com/app/534290/ Cursed Castilla (Maldita Castilla EX)

Games on my radar that look promisingv (also spanish indie dev games):

- http://store.steampowered.com/app/409520/ Ginger: Beyond the Crystal
- http://store.steampowered.com/app/280160/ Aragami
- http://store.steampowered.com/app/380750/ Anima Gate of Memories

butzopower

proud of his butz
header.jpg

Conquest of Elysium 4
(60% off, $9.99 from $24.99)

Part Civilization, part Total War, part rogue-like, part D&D Monster Manual, CoE4 is a pretty crazy strategy game. Sort of like a more board game version of Illwinter's other massive strategy game Dominions 4. There's something like 20 different civilizations to pick from that all play very differently, have their own unique units, and all have different ways of manipulating the world. There's additional dimensions to explore with some of the civilizations. You are fighting both your opponents and all the crazy world mobs spawned depending on what age of the world you choose (iron, bronze, empires, etc). There's something like 1500 units to recruit / summon / build / reanimate, each with unique stats, weapons, and detailed descriptions. Your mages / heroes can summon like 500 different spells and cause 100 different status effects. All this takes place in battles where both sides are controlled by the AI, so how you compose and configure your army is significant.

The graphics are definitely simple, and the UI is a bit clunky, but for the amount of stuff going on, it works. I really love getting large armies pitted against other large armies and just seeing the chaos that unfolds.

There's really nothing like CoE4 outside of pen and paper RPGs and war gaming. It's also just made by two dudes in Sweden, and it's clear these guys are real passionate about making games.

These treads are goldmines as always. PC gaming is exciting these days with all that diversity.

Id like to agree on the recs of the following ones.

Orwell, as its a unique gaming experience + very topical these days. (Demo available)

Thea: The Awakening, very special turn based strategy, exploring, crafting, survival, party member rpg game that is mixing different genres really good, playing on a hexic overworld map like in civ5. Battles are a solid card game (i skip them tbh). The equipment management can be fiddly. (Demo available)

Expeditions: Conquistador is a bit like Thea in exploring, party management and mixing genres in general, i think it also needed some polish here and there. But its a good game with an interesting setting. Rather difficult combats iirc.

NEO Scavenger is worth a try, i liked it a lot, but its an unforgiving hardcore dungeon crawling survival rpg experience, so maybe some of you will get frustrated fast.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Lots of excellent recommendations in here; I've got a big cart full of stuff now!

Caves of Qud is interesting, but really fucking hard. I feel like it's got a lot of cool ways to build your character, but not a ton of actions you can do early on. I'd say it's almost more about survival than exploring and deep dungeoning. It has some of the coolest ideas I've seen in a rogue-like, though, and it's updated weekly with some of the most amazing change notes.

Tales of Maj'eyal is pretty deep and has lots of cool classes with a good variety of useful skills / spells that you get access to fairly quickly. All the dungeons have a theme / gimmick which is pretty interesting, but can get a bit repetitive after a few playthroughs. Luckily the expansions add a lot of variety if you start to get bored. There's also a fun arena mode you unlock an hour in.

NEO Scavenger is worth a try, i liked it a lot, but its an unforgiving hardcore dungeon crawling survival rpg experience, so maybe some of you will get frustrated fast.
Unforgiving in the best possible ways. Nothing captures the dirty brutal encounters of works like The Road or No Country, like Neo Scavenger and The Last of Us. Neo's turn-based system is so unique and gripping, and captures that desperate combat better than anything else.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
How's the Long Dark compared to other survivors? If I use Subnautica as a measuring stick would it be a bad idea?

Top Bottom