• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hidden Gems and Under-The-Radar Recommendations - Steam Winter Sale 2016

Ladekabel

Sooo, would you guys mind giving me a list of metroid-likes and torchlight likes for <5€? If its the best one in its genre it's okay if it's around 15.

Best Metroid-like on Steam is Shadow Complex Remastered. Off the top of my head: Strider is alright, too, and I didn't hear bad things about Xeodrifter. Guess you can check out Outland also. SteamWorld Dig is great. Guacamelee! is always worth grabbing. CaveStory is also good.

Games like Torchlight is a bit harder for under 5€. Victor Vran is alright though I stopped after an hour or two because I didn't get great loot and wasn't overall feeling it. People rave about Grim Dawn and claim it is the best since Diablo 2. Costs 13,74€.

Chris R

Infested Planet is kinda fun, it needs to get challenging soon though.

Shame that it's the only game I've gotten this sale though :(

BathanKaitos

Neo Member
"Aurion: Legacy of the Kori-Odan" i will also try this game. I just saw when it was kickstarter Project and it looks so cool. Thanks for remind it. :)

Haunted

RYB needs more love, a PC version was released last month. The iOS version was cramped on my phone and I wish I would've known there was a Steam version, even though it's a tad more expensive on sale at $3.99. Well worth it though.

It's one of the better puzzle games I've played this year, I'd call it Hexcells/Minesweeper meets The Witness in terms of puzzle design and how you learn the mechanics.
Another recommendation for RYB.

Pretty basic on first glance, there were some real surprises along the way as more layers of complexity are added.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Every year steam has a sale, I'm always looking for unique PC exclusive BEU's. I'm normally disappointed, but this year had a fun entry, that just came out a few days ago!

2016090599vidas.jpg

I've enjoyed my time with it. It's actually pretty hard, and seems designed in the Dead Rising 1 style of "Die and die until you character is powerful enough to make the game easier". I've been playing 2P local Co-Op, and the difficulty ramps up seriously in that mode, and enemy spawns actually randomize in stages, which is kinda surprising.

I can't go into depth now, but the worse part of it, for me, is that it's input buffer on Jump + Attack is kinda loose, so I get life-sapping specials when trying to jump out of hitstun. And I don't like the modern-design method of making a character slide forward while doing a mash combo. It works for the gameplay, but it just looks odd and off to me.

But the moveset is nice, the character ability leveling is solid, and it has 4 starter characters and 7 unlockables. It's a solid little product, and it's currently 17% off; not a huge amount, but enough to say it's on Sale at slightly over $10. And I definitely enjoy it's aesthetic more than the tryhard vile darkness of "Mother Russia Bleeds", which has {among other details) kept me from wanting to get that, currently...

Every year steam has a sale, I'm always looking for unique PC exclusive BEU's. I'm normally disappointed, but this year had a fun entry, that just came out a few days ago!

I've enjoyed my time with it. It's actually pretty hard, and seems designed in the Dead Rising 1 style of "Die and die until you character is powerful enough to make the game easier". I've been playing 2P local Co-Op, and the difficulty ramps up seriously in that mode, and enemy spawns actually randomize in stages, which is kinda surprising.

I can't go into depth now, but the worse part of it, for me, is that it's input buffer on Jump + Attack is kinda loose, so I get life-sapping specials when trying to jump out of hitstun. And I don't like the modern-design method of making a character slide forward while doing a mash combo. It works for the gameplay, but it just looks odd and off to me.

But the moveset is nice, the character ability leveling is solid, and it has 4 starter characters and 7 unlockables. It's a solid little product, and it's currently 17% off; not a huge amount, but enough to say it's on Sale at slightly over $10. And I definitely enjoy it's aesthetic more than the tryhard vile darkness of "Mother Russia Bleeds", which has {among other details) kept me from wanting to get that, currently...

How's the combo system and gameplay depth in this? It's hard to tell from the trailer and there's barely any English reviews for it.

Sooo, would you guys mind giving me a list of metroid-likes and torchlight likes for <5€? If its the best one in its genre it's okay if it's around 15.

Metroid likes:

Axiom Verge - Havent played this one, but got a lof of praise.
Environmental Station Alpha - This one fits your budget and in my opinion is a solid game.

For Torchlight:

Path of Exile - It's free. It's a game that I like and I go back to it from time to time.
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing - Another one I haven't played, but I remember reading some positive opinions in the Steam Thread when it was released.

Just bought Castle in the Darkness, N++ and Zenzizenzic as it came to just about the right total amount for the money in my Steam wallet.

I don't think the latter has been mentioned in here yet, it's a really stylish abstract style bullet-hell shooter. Looks amazing!

Amzin

I like Ghost 1.0 and Axiom Verge more than Shadow Complex, although all 3 are good in their own way, for Metroidvanias.

dr_mario

Best Metroid-like on Steam is Shadow Complex Remastered. Off the top of my head: Strider is alright, too, and I didn't hear bad things about Xeodrifter. Guess you can check out Outland also. SteamWorld Dig is great. Guacamelee! is always worth grabbing. CaveStory is also good.

Games like Torchlight is a bit harder for under 5€. Victor Vran is alright though I stopped after an hour or two because I didn't get great loot and wasn't overall feeling it. People rave about Grim Dawn and claim it is the best since Diablo 2. Costs 13,74€.
I got Shadow Complex Remastered for free back then. Although I prefered Axiom Verge and think that it has many flaws.
Strider doesn'tlook too good to me, graphically, as does xeo. But I should actually like xeo, I just dont. Guacamelee I, of course, own, as well CaveStory. I didn't know Steamworld is a Metroidvania, will look into that.
I actually always wanted Victor, but I looked at it today and just thought it meh. Grim Dawn is the one "expensive" game I will probably buy, because it's really cool looking, and I also will buy Deathspank, I guess.

Metroid likes:

Axiom Verge - Havent played this one, but got a lof of praise.
Environmental Station Alpha - This one fits your budget and in my opinion is a solid game.

For Torchlight:

Path of Exile - It's free. It's a game that I like and I go back to it from time to time.
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing - Another one I haven't played, but I remember reading some positive opinions in the Steam Thread when it was released.

Wow, I didn't know you post anywhere but in the pics thread :D Axiom Verge is one of my favorite Metroidvanians, so if anyone didnt play it,do it. Although I'm not sure if it's a hidden gem. ESA looks good, I will think about it, thank you!
Regarding PoE: I don't like it, i didn't have much fun with it, and Van Helsing was a bit boring, tbh, very generic.

@Amzin: Ah right, I already have Ghost 1.0 and didn't play ityet.

@Crab Milk : Sounds nice. How big will the expansion be?

Ladekabel

I got Shadow Complex Remastered for free back then. Although I prefered Axiom Verge and think that it has many flaws.
Strider doesn'tlook too good to me, graphically, as does xeo. But I should actually like xeo, I just dont. Guacamelee I, of course, own, as well CaveStory. I didn't know Steamworld is a Metroidvania, will look into that.
I actually always wanted Victor, but I looked at it today and just thought it meh. Grim Dawn is the one "expensive" game I will probably buy, because it's really cool looking, and I also will buy Deathspank, I guess.

SteamWorld Dig is more like platformer with Metroid-elements. It's a great game. Recommend it regardless.

Wow, I didn't know you post anywhere but in the pics thread :D Axiom Verge is one of my favorite Metroidvanians, so if anyone didnt play it,do it. Although I'm not sure if it's a hidden gem. ESA looks good, I will think about it, thank you!
Regarding PoE: I don't like it, i didn't have much fun with it, and Van Helsing was a bit boring, tbh, very generic.

I used to be a lot more active in the indie and steam threads, but I lately I had to dedicate less time playing games.

The1Ski

Anyone play Slime Rancher? Steam reviews are overwhelmingly positive but I'm getting a strong "but what do you DO?" vibe.

Are there a lot of different/rare slimes to get find?

Is it anything like Viva Pinata? (Cuz that would be awesome. Frickin love that game).

Is there any depth to the gameplay/farming?

I've tried checking out some YouTube videos but the Let's Plays all look the same.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I usually give recommendations, but I really want to find more of a specific type of oddity on Steam.

Does anyone know of any kind of quirky surreal games, maybe with exploration elements or progression? I'm pretty open minded to what that entails, but I'm thinking of stuff like Anodyne, Verde Station, Yume Nikki, Shipwreck, Why Am I Dead At Sea, Electric Highway...

Basically kind of odd games that aren't too combat heavy (combat is fine, but not the focus if in) that have a charm and an edge (or delve) of weirdness. It's hard to word, but I'm open to suggestion and want more charming odd games.

I usually give recommendations, but I really want to find more of a specific type of oddity on Steam.

Does anyone know of any kind of quirky surreal games, maybe with exploration elements or progression? I'm pretty open minded to what that entails, but I'm thinking of stuff like Anodyne, Verde Station, Yume Nikki, Shipwreck, Why Am I Dead At Sea, Electric Highway...

Basically kind of odd games that aren't too combat heavy (combat is fine, but not the focus if in) that have a charm and an edge (or delve) of weirdness. It's hard to word, but I'm open to suggestion and want more charming odd games.
Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor sounds like it would be right up your alley

Also The Sea Will Claim Everything if you haven't played that

You might like Sun Dogs. It's a far future abstract text adventure set through the solar system

Drazgul

Are the current sales guaranteed to last until the end of the winter sale? I'd really like either Dirt Rally or Elite Dangerous Commander Edition but my bank account got wiped out because of car repair.

Edit: Ah crud, this should've probably gone to the other winter sale thread.

I hope More_Badass will forgive me for flipping the order of the segments in the thread title. :p Ideally this'll reduce the number of mistaken posts intended for the main sale thread in here.

Speevy

Banned
The best game I've ever played on Steam is The Swapper. I know you've probably all played it, but seriously, it's a masterpiece.

Amzin

The best game I've ever played on Steam is The Swapper. I know you've probably all played it, but seriously, it's a masterpiece.

Yea, it's super good. My single complaint is so much of the lore / story stuff is the hidden stuff - I was so interested in finding it all I just used a guide for the hidey-spots (but not the puzzles)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor sounds like it would be right up your alley

Also The Sea Will Claim Everything if you haven't played that

You might like Sun Dogs. It's a far future abstract text adventure set through the solar system

Already had The Sea Will Claimeverything, but the other two (especially Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor) are completely up my alley and I'll pick them. Doing much digging myself, I have a little over $150 for the sale now so right now just forging my selections and want to get a lot of quirky weird games I find charming.

Anyone play Slime Rancher? Steam reviews are overwhelmingly positive but I'm getting a strong "but what do you DO?" vibe.

Is it anything like Viva Pinata? (Cuz that would be awesome. Frickin love that game).

I've tried checking out some YouTube videos but the Let's Plays all look the same.

I'm really interested in opinions on this, too.

I'm really interested in opinions on this, too.

Someone else who has played much more can say otherwise but for where Slime Rancher is now I'd compare it more to something like a clicker game + Viva Pinata. But more of a FPS clicker game. It's really just about getting slimes to make currency to then buy upgrades and upgrade your base so you can get more varied slimes to make more currency and essentially keep upgrading. There may be some other end goal I'm unaware of but that honestly is how I felt playing it.

The Viva Pinata part is more about how you have to manage the ecosystem to find the best way to make money but there's still some automation built into the game.

I'm probably wording this poorly but the general idea is that you're just getting money to get upgrades to then get more money more efficiently.

Any under the radar/hidden gem "4x" type games? Any hidden gems in the simulator category (Tycoon games)?

Thanks!
Software Inc is the more advanced in-depth Game Dev Tycoon you always wanted. Offworld Trading Company might also scratch that itch, while also being an awesome economic RTS

Thea: The Awakening is a 4X/card game/roguelike hybrid that gets brought often in these hidden gem threads

Software Inc is the more advanced in-depth Game Dev Tycoon you always wanted. Offworld Trading Company might also scratch that itch, while also being an awesome economic RTS

Thea: The Awakening is a 4X/card game/roguelike hybrid that gets brought often in these hidden gem threads

Quick follow-up if you're around, how vital is the DLC in Offworld Trading Company to get the best experience with that game? Would I be getting a "full" experience with the base game for now?

Quick follow-up if you're around, how vital is the DLC in Offworld Trading Company to get the best experience with that game? Would I be getting a "full" experience with the base game for now?
I just getting into it myself, but I actually asked that before buying and the consensus was that The Patron & the Patriot is the meatiest DLC. But it's definitely already a complete experience with just the base game. The campaign actually got a lot of praise in various reviews

Eridani

Any under the radar/hidden gem "4x" type games? Any hidden gems in the simulator category (Tycoon games)?

Thanks!

For 4x games, there's:
Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension - Really interesting 4x game with a lot of content. Tons of interesting races, spells and units. It looks really complicated, but it actually isn't that hard to play. The manual has a tutorial that teaches you the basics.
Eador: Genesis - If you want something like Heroes of Might and Magic, this is a good pick. I remember it getting pretty repetitive after a while, but it's also like 1.5€ at the moment. There's also a remake out on steam with better graphics, but I've never played it so I don't know what it changes.
Then there's Age of Wonders III, which isn't really hidden as such, but if you don't have it yet it's a great choice.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
How's the combo system and gameplay depth in this? It's hard to tell from the trailer and there's barely any English reviews for it.

The game has a light attack, heavy attack, jump, and Screen clear special button on the face buttons. It also has a macro command trigger for the Jump+Light AOE clearing attack. This attack takes health, but is your key to escaping enemy combos and grapples.

The Screen clear special is like that of Golden Axe: lvl 1 is weaker, and a different animation than lvl 2.

The combos are 4 lights in a row, or 1 light, and then 3 heavies. Each of these can be upgraded 4 times, with different animation and effected added on at each level. Heavy by itself is a knockdown blow.

There's also a double dashing light, or heavy attack. For the Water element guy, one dash attack is a beast-summoning scream, and the other throws a Umidouken.

Light jump attacks are for hitstun for follow-ups, heavy are for knockdown. Applies to ground and jump attacks.

Grapples work with neutral being repeat blows, and left and right + attack being different throws / shifting to the enemies back. Much like Double Dragon, the best way to land grapples is to punch until healthy stun, then move in and grab.

The real combat depth of this game, however, comes from the enemy reactions.

Some enemies can only be hit by one air attack, and hey'll fall out of grounded combo attempts. Others this leads to a full button combo. Enemies have unique re-stand animations, which shifts how fast they return to action. As soon as they get up, they generally try to use their own style of combo on you.

For examples of enemy combos, you have one guy who does the FF / SOR "infinite punch" loop attack on you. One does a quick 3 or 4 hit combo. The big guys use Andore-like run and belly-bash that have some invincibility, once they reach a certain distance. The cook has solid anti-jumps with her frying pan attacks.

All the bosses basically have a gimmick (that I've seen so far, in 4 out of 6 main stages, with 2 bonuses in there.) Beating them comes down to finding their vulnerable state, hitting them a bunch, and then escaping before they use a clearing attack.

The game is more about spacing and making good openings. It actually compares well to Final Fight in how fair it feels (there's lots of tells / patterns, but they're occasionally inconsistent, leading to surprise hits.) Leveling / getting score leads to powering up attacks and buying extra lives, no stat distribution stuff. Abilities earned are permanent, so you could start from the beginning with a maxed out character, after grinding stages. Yet I'd like to say the game could be beat with default stuff, though it'd be more of a chore in MP, since they love to up the enemy count, and they seem to hit harder too.

The game is more old-school, in that it doesn't have crazy juggles at every opportunity. Knockdowns and enemy-management through jump kicks, throws, and dash attacks are your main focus, not keeping someone in the air.

It also doesn't have any block, parry, or evasive roll mechanics that I've seen.

The game is definitely a pixel animators funtime, in that everything is fluid, full of personality, and not always snappy. This is different from many games, which have few frames for the attacks, which makes them basically instant. Especially noticeable on dash attacks, which have solid start-up. I do feel like the hit detection of lining up with enemies is pretty solid, though; Even when jump-shifting to land jumps on enemies more "up" or "down" on the screen, I can hit them pretty reliably.

Hope that gives a decent idea of it's combat depth! I haven't unlocked a single character yet, however, so there may be a lot more hidden behind them.

The1Ski

Someone else who has played much more can say otherwise but for where Slime Rancher is now I'd compare it more to something like a clicker game + Viva Pinata. But more of a FPS clicker game. It's really just about getting slimes to make currency to then buy upgrades and upgrade your base so you can get more varied slimes to make more currency and essentially keep upgrading. There may be some other end goal I'm unaware of but that honestly is how I felt playing it.

The Viva Pinata part is more about how you have to manage the ecosystem to find the best way to make money but there's still some automation built into the game.

I'm probably wording this poorly but the general idea is that you're just getting money to get upgrades to then get more money more efficiently.

Thanks for the response and impressions.

I don't have a problem with the "get currency to get upgrades to get more currency" loop but if there's not really an interesting/challenging mechanic to discover new slimes then I could see it getting dull quickly.

Thanks again!

derFeef

I wanna play a really weird/stylish/anime/japanese game with actualy worthwhile gameplay. I know thre are a lot of visual novels etc out there (999,ZTD) but I am looking for active gameplay.

epmode

I wanna play a really weird/stylish/anime/japanese game with actualy worthwhile gameplay. I know thre are a lot of visual novels etc out there (999,ZTD) but I am looking for active gameplay.

Non-visual novel Japanese games..

I guess there's Pharaoh Rebirth and Rabi-Ribi. Both of them were recommended in this thread. From my limited experience with them, they seem to play well.

Davey Cakes

header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/295690

It's only a dollar and it's a bunch of fun. A simple arcade game. You just swing your tail (or "mace") around to destroy asteroids and enemies. It has a score mode and a mission mode. I prefer straightforward "completion" so I like the missions. If you like Bit Blaster XL and games like Asteroids then this is a pretty easy recommendation even if it doesn't involve shooting.

Also joining the dollar club:

Xeodrifter (Metroidvania Lite, graphics reminiscent of Metroid Fusion)
Downwell (Platformer/Shooter, focus on downward movement)
Closure (Puzzler with really eerie music and atmosphere)

Anteater

have you already played metal gear rising? cave story isn't weird but it's good

nan0

Are there any Roguelikes without permadeath and self-proclaimed high difficulty? I really want to enjoy these games, but I don't like the constant restarting. Like SanctuaryRPG on softcore.

derFeef

Let it Die?
Game is great, sadly I don't have too much access to my PS4 the next two weeks :(

Non-visual novel Japanese games..

I guess there's Pharaoh Rebirth and Rabi-Ribi. Both of them were recommended in this thread. From my limited experience with them, they seem to play well.

Thanks!

have you already played metal gear rising? cave story isn't weird but it's good

Yes! And No, Cave Story looked like any other platformed/-vania, but I will check it out again, thanks!

Killer is Dead - Nightmare Edition fits the description pretty well. It's not really anime, but it's weird, stylish, Japanese and the gameplay's fun.

Oh yeah bought this already, I usually dig Grasshopper games.

Top Bottom