• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Kamiya speaks out on Okami Wii missing staff roll

Terrell

ethelred said:
But Capcom didn't sell their subsidiary to another party. They absorbed it back into the larger company. The analogy is absurd.
How did they "absorb" anything when none of the talent at the company came with it?

Haunted

So Capcom uses Clover's work to make some more money, but refuses to give them the credit (roll) they deserve?

Pretty shitty.

TigersFan

Nash said:
Okami is a bit of a special case though, and even Capcom themselves were making a big deal of it being this unappreciated work of art that not enough people got to play.

They could, and should, have treated it a lot better. Unsurmountable legal issues? I really doubt it. As with the cover, they just cut corners.
Capcom says a lot of shit that they don't mean, and it was pretty obvious long before Okami Wii's release that they weren't that interested in creating a "perfect" port.

You can watch the credits on YouTube (on your Wii if you really want). I always look forward to seeing Zelda games fly through all the different areas I've visited. Okami does a similar sort of thing with crappy j-pop music in the background. Nothing life changing.

IzumiK

Banned
TigersFan said:
Okami does a similar sort of thing with crappy j-pop music in the background. Nothing life changing.
Wow.

You're a douchebag.

You can't understand the lyrics so you would know jack about the credit song "Reset".

Reading what he said pisses me off. Was it removed because Clover's name was in it? If the company made it, you can't change that fact because it no longer exists. Clover should still be credited, even if it got re-absorbed by Capcom. Even if it happened 100 years ago. Plain disrespectful is what it is.

:lol Other than that, what's all this poetic talk about the stars and the moons, feelings, and omoi. Just tell us your pissed off you got cut from your creation and we'll be pissed off with you. Who the hell knew that the piano theme in RE2 (beautiful song by the way) had meaning of the character healing or whatever. It's pointless, because nobody would pick up on that meaning.

Dark Octave said:
Reading what he said pisses me off. Was it removed because Clover's name was in it? If the company made it, you can't change that fact because it no longer exists. Clover should still be credited, even if it got re-absorbed by Capcom. Even if it happened 100 years ago. Plain disrespectful is what it is.

:lol Other than that, what's all this poetic talk about the stars and the moons, feelings, and omoi. Just tell us your pissed off you got cut from your creation and we'll be pissed off with you. Who the hell knew that the piano theme in RE2 (beautiful song by the way) had meaning of the character healing or whatever. It's pointless, because nobody would pick up on that meaning.

A Japanese developer would never say such a thing publicly. Unless, of course, you happened to be named Itagaki.

IzumiK

Banned
Koshiro said:
This thread contains the answer.
Well, completely taking it out, that much I know... but how did they acknowledge the porters at RAD?

Does the game just end and then that's it?

Do Wii fans get the typical Nintendo treatment of "The End" and maybe "The Princess is in the next castle"?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
to hard working port artists/developers:
if your feelings are hurt (or other people that work there have hurt feelings), i would do several things:

1. Avoid GAF at all costs. Gaf has a tendency to rely on a what have you done for me lately mentality. it isn't personal, it's hardcore.

2. Get a better translator and work more closely with the original pub. i realize that you got horrendously incomplete code and it was impossible to contact clover, as they were closed. if this absolutely isn't possible and you have to do what you did, refer to #1.

3. Hire better Public Relations and Marketing Professionals to manage trash like this. The media releases, screens, information management, marketing/advertising/packaging, and crisis control (like this and the IGN cover) have been an unmitigated disaster. The thing is, it takes so little investment to get great PR that there are really no excuses. If funding of PR isn't an option (capcom agreed to manage it?), then refer to #1.

IzumiK

Banned
Lee N said:
the RaD guys are credited in the manual.
Wtf!

Crediting has to be IN the work and not an excluded material.

Wow, this is the first time I heard anyone's work, both RAD and former Clover, being effed up the a.

CTLance

IzumiK, looks like we've come full circle. Remember back in the 2600 days? devs were merely tools, their names never showed up inside the game - or outside of it, for that matter.

Hyperbole, of course. This is quite a mess, but I'm pretty sure the only one to blame is Capcom.
PantherLotus said:
to hard working port artists/developers:(...)
So basically
1. Avoid GAF at all costs. Gaf has a tendency to rely on a what have you done for me lately mentality. it isn't personal, it's hardcore.
?

Haunted

RaD's logo is shown at the beginning of the game, iirc.

I remember reading "Wii development by Ready at Dawn" when I started the game.

2624faw.jpg

So only 5 people created Okami in such a short time? Wow, amazing!

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
bafflewaffle said:
http://i27.tinypic.com/2624faw.jpg[/I]

So only 5 people created Okami in such a short time? Wow, amazing![/QUOTE]

So which one of this people was in charge of the box art with the IGN watermark?

Kittonwy

Banned
My level of respect for Capcom has reached an all-new low, how can they fucking cut KAMIYA's name FROM HIS OWN GAME. WTF. I sincerely hope Inafune didn't have anything to do with this.
Indifferent2.gif

PolyGone

Banned
Kittonwy said:
My level of respect for Capcom has reached an all-new low, how can they fucking cut KAMIYA's name FROM HIS OWN GAME. WTF.

truly wrong; like he said its not just about getting credit for your work, but the philosophy behind the credits and what they represent to a gamer that is also important

I don't think I've ever beaten a game and not let the credits run

Alex said:
And they got a big thing of pretzels!
Sour, like Kamiya's heart, and salty, like his bitter tears.... :((((((

neojubei said:
So which one of this people was in charge of the box art with the IGN watermark?
Not sure, but they guy on the right was the one in charge at RAD. (Didier Malenfant) Pic grabbed from here btw.

CTLance said:
Edit: I'm really interested in what Svensson will have to say about the issue (not my thread).
Locked. End of discussion.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
That's just awful! I still remember how nice and great Okami's end credits were! If RAD couldn't somehow airbrush the Clover logo out, they shoulda just called up 4kids or Viz... they're good at butchering stuff out of video. >.<

Haunted One said:
RaD's logo is shown at the beginning of the game, iirc.

I remember reading "Wii development by Ready at Dawn" when I started the game.
Is there even a simple text acknowledging Clover? Even on the manual?

TunaLover

Except that Kamiya got the credits in the intro sequence: Written by Hideki Kamiya. The whole Clover team got the shift thought. For sure the relationships between Clover people and Capcom aren´t all love.

So yes Kamiya got credits for the game early in the game. Poor excuse from Capcom, if thay named Kamiya I don´t see any problem to make an all new alternative staff roll, including the name of Clover staff.

tetsuoxb

TunaLover said:
Except that Kamiya got the credits in the intro sequence: Written by Hideki Kamiya. The whole Clover team got the shift thought. For sure the relationships between Clover people and Capcom aren´t all love.

So yes Kamiya got credits for the game early in the game. Poor excuse from Capcom, if thay named Kamiya I don´t see any problem to make an all new alternative staff roll, including the name of Clover staff.

He isn't saying he is upset his name isn't in the credits. He is saying that the staff roll is a special part of every game he makes, and each has meaning. Thus cutting the staff roll means cutting meaning from the game.

TunaLover

tetsuoxb said:
He isn't saying he is upset his name isn't in the credits. He is saying that the staff roll is a special part of every game he makes, and each has meaning. Thus cutting the staff roll means cutting meaning from the game.

I´m just appoint that his name appear in the game, not in the credits, but it appear.

Core407

Banned
EDarkness said:
<sigh> There is nothing wrong with this game. The meat of it is there and plays great. Why do people have to get bent out of shape about something like this? I'm sure there is a good reason for it not being there and Capcom has stated it was about legal issues, so why jump on their case about it? It doesn't all of a sudden make the game less fun. As of now more people can actually go out and play it. That's all that matters in the end.

How about the fact that it dragged on forever and every boss battle you repeated was exactly the same.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
This is amazingly shitty. Even if you couldn't replicate the original credits sequence, nothing stops you from spending 10 minutes getting the original staff names rounded up and adding them to the game.

For game developers, one of the biggest payoffs to being in the industry to begin with is to be properly credited. Not only for feeling good about yourself, but for future job opportunities as well.

Low blow Capcom, not classy.

SantaC

I understand that this is a big deal for those who was left out, but i dont understand the gaf uproar. Some of you even said you wont buy the game for some fucking credits, comon.

Haunted

SantaC said:
I understand that this is a big deal for those who was left out, but i dont understand the gaf uproar. Some of you even said you wont buy the game for some fucking credits, comon.
It does suck, but statements like that are typical GAF overreactions. Don't take them too seriously. Either they weren't interested in buying the game in the first place, or they're not keeping their word.

Not to fuel the fire, but I found it funny...

Ready at Dawn's answer to the staff roll issue:

Didier Malenfant said:
"To be completely fair, while part of the issue seems to have been a legal one with Capcom Japan (I don't know the details of that), we did also have a problem with the Wii data being much larger than the original PS2 version. We ended up running out of room on the disc which would have made adding the staff roll back in the game a tough thing anyway."

Now, this would be perfectly feasible...if it wasn't for this:

&#332;kami uses 4,288,296,960 bytes (~3.99 GB) of the Wii game disc's 4,699,979,776 bytes (~4.37 GB).
That leaves us with 411,682,816 bytes of free space (~393 MB).

The original staff roll SFD file from the PlayStation 2 version has 281,600,004 bytes (~269 MB).

So even if the staff roll was included on the Wii game disc, we would still have 124 MB of free space left.

2i8j5g6.gif

If you lie to customers, you should tell them something they can't check.

Cheerilee

Prime Blue said:
You forgot to factor in that he just said that Wii data is bigger than PS2 data.

If the staff roll was 269MB on the PS2, it may have needed to be more than 393MB on Wii (perhaps the codec used in the PS2 version was unavailable to Wii, or something like that).

Yeah I know, nowhere near a good excuse, but I'm just putting that out there.

Narag

ruby_onix said:
You forgot to factor in that he just said that Wii data is bigger than PS2 data.

If the staff roll was 269MB on the PS2, it may have needed to be more than 393MB on Wii (perhaps the codec used in the PS2 version was unavailable to Wii, or something like that).

Is there any security that would use up space like 360 discs?

ruby_onix said:

Nope, it's the exact same codec. They are even using the same version of CRI Middleware to encode the new movies, albeit the fact that there's a newer build available.

fernoca

Not to mention that Wii discs..can be dual-layer..
Though using a dual-layer, for just a staffroll would have been a kinda dumb move...

But no prob..the port was still amazingly done..considering the wonders Ready at Dawn did (with so many pressure and so little time -and budget-)..they made a great job...

Maybe Capcom should release a free Appendium Disc for the Wii-Okami owners with this..and like some art of the upcoming book, etc..

CTLance

fernoca said:
considering the wonders Ready at Dawn did (with so many pressure and so little time -and budget-)..they made a great job...
Yep. RAD pretty much gets a get-out-of-jail-free card with regards to this port. I am pretty sure that given a bit more time they would have vastly improved upon the status quo.
Nonetheless, I somehow doubt their story about the missing space for the ending credits. I could see that they couldn't implement it within their time and budget constraints, though.

Prime Blue said:
Ready at Dawn's answer to the staff roll issue:
Now, this would be perfectly feasible...if it wasn't for this:

&#332;kami uses 4,288,296,960 bytes (~3.99 GB) of the Wii game disc's 4,699,979,776 bytes (~4.37 GB).
That leaves us with 411,682,816 bytes of free space (~393 MB).

The original staff roll SFD file from the PlayStation 2 version has 281,600,004 bytes (~269 MB).

Protip: If you lie to customers, you should tell them something they can't check.
They said that the code they recieved was not very well organized, and is that comparing versions with the same amount of localization?

Top Bottom