• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Kamiya speaks out on Okami Wii missing staff roll

soldat7

Prime Blue said:
Not to fuel the fire, but I found it funny...

Ready at Dawn's answer to the staff roll issue:

Now, this would be perfectly feasible...if it wasn't for this:

Ōkami uses 4,288,296,960 bytes (~3.99 GB) of the Wii game disc's 4,699,979,776 bytes (~4.37 GB).
That leaves us with 411,682,816 bytes of free space (~393 MB).

The original staff roll SFD file from the PlayStation 2 version has 281,600,004 bytes (~269 MB).

So even if the staff roll was included on the Wii game disc, we would still have 124 MB of free space left.

2i8j5g6.gif

Protip: If you lie to customers, you should tell them something they can't check.

I've always been a fan of Ready at Dawn and Capcom.

Until this incident.

I just bought the PS2 version and after a mere 3 hours I have to say that not including the ACTUAL PEOPLE THAT MADE THE GAME in the final credits is shameful and disgraceful. This is one of the most unique and artistic games ever made and the people that actually did the work are not credited.

That's the very definition of stupid. You really couldn't roll some text across a black screen Ready at Dawn? Really?

From the looks of it, I'll also get the PlayStation 2 version.
The port issues, bullshit explanations and watermarks are just a little too much hilarity for my diaphragm to handle - the Wii version could have been so great, but it seems like they seized every opportunity to fuck it up pretty bad.
I really appreciate Capcom's decision to do a Wii version, but I wouldn't be satisfied less than now if they never released it at all.

I wonder how many people decided to give the PlayStation 2 version a try after hearing about the Wii port.

Prime Blue said:
Not to fuel the fire, but I found it funny...

Ready at Dawn's answer to the staff roll issue:

Now, this would be perfectly feasible...if it wasn't for this:

Ōkami uses 4,288,296,960 bytes (~3.99 GB) of the Wii game disc's 4,699,979,776 bytes (~4.37 GB).
That leaves us with 411,682,816 bytes of free space (~393 MB).

The original staff roll SFD file from the PlayStation 2 version has 281,600,004 bytes (~269 MB).

So even if the staff roll was included on the Wii game disc, we would still have 124 MB of free space left.

2i8j5g6.gif

Protip: If you lie to customers, you should tell them something they can't check.
Wii games can't use the whole disc, can they?

Still, they said that the size would have made it difficult, not impossible.

fresquito

Prime Blue said:
From the looks of it, I'll also get the PlayStation 2 version.
The port issues, bullshit explanations and watermarks are just a little too much hilarity for my diaphragm to handle - the Wii version could have been so great, but it seems like they seized every opportunity to fuck it up pretty bad.
I really appreciate Capcom's decision to do a Wii version, but I wouldn't be satisfied less than now if they never released it at all.

I wonder how many people decided to give the PlayStation 2 version a try after hearing about the Wii port.
Sorry to tell you. I only played the PS2 version for 30 minutes. I'm playing the Wii version and loving it.

You can tell me how crappy the port is or how much it's been changed, truth is the Wii version is a fucking awesome game, no matter how you look at it. BTW, the pencil works so much better on the Wii version. Dodging is next to useless here though (bad detection).

But yeah, just go on on talking about something you haven't tried.

CamHostage

There are few unions in the videogame business, so I'm at a loss for exactly why this had to happen, but knowing the pains of producing product and dealing with legal, I'm not at all surprised that something like this had to be cut. Sucks, but stuff gets out of control in game production.

fresquito said:
You can tell me how crappy the port is or how much it's been changed, truth is the Wii version is a fucking awesome game, no matter how you look at it. BTW, the pencil works so much better on the Wii version. Dodging is next to useless here though (bad detection).

But yeah, just go on on talking about something you haven't tried.
Aren't you a little overprotective there?

Sure, I haven't tried the port, but neither have I tried the original - I just can't see me buying the Wii version after all those little cutbacks people have been reporting, they just outweight the few improvements they actually made to the game.

Prime Blue said:

The original staff roll was 480i, and not Widescreen, correct? Even assuming they'd do the black bar on the sides, or stretch it, or zoom in, there is a chance that the original developers didn't save a version above that quality level. It sounds unreasonable, but think about how the various assets arrived to them in the first place.

So glad I played this on PS2. This would be like cutting out the awesome animation of Wily's Castle burning at the end of Mega Man 7.

Oh wait.

Magypsy23

Banned
MEGABUMP. Capcom has confirmed the restoration of the staff roll in the Japanese release of Okami Wii. There's also talk of the controls being fine tuned (?).
The Japanese version is getting released in 11 days.

Also, pretty pictures.

Okami Wii Boxart (clean)

Preorder bonus CD

CTLance

Magypsy23 said:
MEGABUMP. Capcom has confirmed the restoration of the staff roll in the Japanese release of Okami Wii.
For some reason this makes me really angry.

... maybe they'll just patch the ending and controls for the EU/US versions.

Oh wait.

AAAAANNNNGRYYYYYYYY. :mad:

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
there's something fucked up with this thread, the last post I see is Visulante's from 2008; I can only see the new posts in the topic review under the post reply box. To further make things weird, Visulante's post isn't in the topic review.

Weird.

Dascu

Rez said:
there's something fucked up with this thread, the last post I see is Visulante's from 2008; I can only see the new posts in the topic review under the post reply box. To further make things weird, Visulante's post isn't in the topic review.

Weird.
I had the same issue. Switch to 100 posts per page.

Gestahl

Everytime I open up the first page of this thread I get a password prompt from some site called breakfall.ca, what in the fuck

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Gestahl said:
Everytime I open up the first page of this thread I get a password prompt from some site called breakfall.ca, what in the fuck
someone's got a password protected avatar. Has been popping up here and there but I haven't bothered to go all detective and figure out who's it is.

Gestahl

Brobzoid said:
someone's got a password protected avatar. Has been popping up here and there but I haven't bothered to go all detective and figure out who's it is.

Tell him I hate him.

I wonder if the JPN version will have the missing graphical effects fixed as well?

I don't suppose there's any chance of the US getting an updated version?

Zoc

Now the damn message pops up in this thread, too, Brobzoid. Edit that shit out.

Anyway, I wonder what the fine-tuning is. The only thing that really struck me as needing a fix in the US version was that the brush went all wonky when you turned the Wiimote sideways.

louis89

Yet more importantly, I find it extremely regrettable that the omoi that went into the staff roll is gone from the game as well. (Translator's note: The Japanese word - 想い – omoi – is best defined as a combination of thoughts, emotions, and messages. I’ve left it in Japanese as I feel it better suits Kamiya-san’s intentions.)
keikaku.jpg

Nuclear Muffin said:
I wonder if the JPN version will have the missing graphical effects fixed as well?

I don't suppose there's any chance of the US getting an updated version?
I highly doubt a repeat of the Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition U.S. release scenario, especially since we've yet to see a Player's Choice line for an updated Okami to release under on the Wii side. Would be nice though, maybe it could come out here and the indicator that it's updated is that there's no IGN logo on the cover?

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Zoc said:
Now the damn message pops up in this thread, too, Brobzoid. Edit that shit out.
What did I do? :( I haven't posted any links or nuffin'...

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
I highly doubt a repeat of the Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition U.S. release scenario, especially since we've yet to see a Player's Choice line for an updated Okami to release under on the Wii side. Would be nice though, maybe it could come out here and the indicator that it's updated is that there's no IGN logo on the cover?

I can see it now, 10 years down the line on ebay...

"Okami okamiden Wii SUPER ULTRA MEGA RARE NO IGN LOGO!!!" :lol

cvxfreak

Good to hear!

Maybe things have gotten a little bit rosier over the last year? Capcom Japan seems to have pretty decent expectations for the port, despite it being very late. It can probably sell on par with the GC RE ports.

OMG Aero

I was always under the impression that the ending video had a Clover logo that Capcom didn't have the rights to use and they couldn't edit the video, why were people talking about it being to do with file size?

They did this with Tatsunoko, so maybe that raises the possibility of us getting this "Complete Edition"?

I hope they fixed some glitches and made the framerate stable, there's that glitch that makes Ammy's head freak out from what I've heard and seen on YouTube.

So let's get this newer edition with that awesome JP cover art (SANS IGN LOGO), the credits, fine-tuned controls, and hopefully fixed glitches and a more stable framerate. I didn't notice it, but a more noticeable paper filter would be icing on the cake.

I think this warrants a rerelease here, don't you think?

TunaLover

Hero of Legend said:
They did this with Tatsunoko, so maybe that raises the possibility of us getting this "Complete Edition"?

I hope they fixed some glitches and made the framerate stable, there's that glitch that makes Ammy's head freak out from what I've heard and seen on YouTube.

So let's get this newer edition with that awesome JP cover art (SANS IGN LOGO), the credits, fine-tuned controls, and hopefully fixed glitches and a more stable framerate. I didn't notice it, but a more noticeable paper filter would be icing on the cake.

I think this warrants a rerelease here, don't you think?

Never got the conehead, thought it was a problem with lens or overheating Wiis, and the framerate issues were present in the PS2 too, anyway I could buy the game again, Okami Wii Edition: The Definitive Version, The Final Test :lol

Dascu said:
I had the same issue. Switch to 100 posts per page.
You guys and the 100 posts per page... then you'll bitch about the image quantity or whatever else. I swear :/ bitch bitch bitch

(Not directed at you, just saying!)

As for this news... dammit Capcom, I want those fine tunes and credit roll too. (I'd even buy the game again for that... but not the Japanese version, obviously)

jesusraz

cvxfreak said:
Capcom Japan seems to have pretty decent expectations for the port, despite it being very late. It can probably sell on par with the GC RE ports.
Is this going off projections from a Capcom financial release, or the amount of promotion that's going on in Japan?

I also would love to see a version with tweaked controls get released at a budget price here in Europe. As much as people praise the game, the horrid motion control that was implemented killed any hope of me ever really getting into the adventure...

OMG Aero said:
I was always under the impression that the ending video had a Clover logo that Capcom didn't have the rights to use and they couldn't edit the video, why were people talking about it being to do with file size?
Because too few disc space was Ready at Dawn Studios' super extra excuse for not including it. Unfortunately, it was a lie.

Now...if only that paper effect was restored...

Zoc

Brobzoid said:
What did I do? :( I haven't posted any links or nuffin'...

Oops! Sorry, it was the guy above you that quoted it. Looks like the problem's gone now, anyway.

olimpia84

Capcom should also release OkamiDen for the Wii to make up for the cover and the staff roll video... (I can only dream for a Wii version of the next game) :(

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'd rebuy it on the Wii if they tweaked it. Credits restored, enhance the filter properly, and fix the seriously poorly programmed controls. The fact Okami totally ignores rotations of the pointer makes drawing a chore and I'm convinced is the root of all control problems people have had with the game.

I might consider importing this if they fixed all of the fuckups with the US version. I don't suppose the JP version'll have an option for English text, will it?

Top Bottom