• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Baba: Namco in very early phases of Tales for PS4, no plans for Xbox titles

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
We feel that our core fanbase leans toward the Playstation 3/Playstation 4, so we are focusing our efforts on bringing the best possible Tales experience there!

And yet no Tales of Vesperia port translation. :|

Yes, I'm still bitter.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I tease.

Also do you really get info or not? I'm confused.

You don't? You seem to know things that other people don't.

Yes I do get info. No, I don't ever explicitly state whether I know something or not especially if I'm told not to say anything.

In regards to this, do I actually know something? Dunno. Do the research though! =D It's not hard to guess how it's going to go down and when.

...or he's a good predictor and the flaws of human perception makes us more likely to remember successful predictions while forgetting incorrect ones.

Not sure if I should take this as a compliment or a diss since it tackles both oceans lol.

Soriku

How the fuck MS moneyhat can still hold Vesperia in western releases D:

MS moneyhat should have nothing to do with that considering Eternal Sonata and Star Ocean 4 made their way to PS3 and came over. Namco just never felt it was worth it to release Vesperia...though we still have some reports from VAs like Troy Baker that he did extra lines for the PS3 version. Considering how well Xillia sold over here I feel like they should still release it, I think it'd do well even if it'd be a really late release, but more likely they're just going to focus on the new games.

In regards to this, do I actually know something? Dunno. Do the research though! =D It's not hard to guess how it's going to go down and when.

OK...well I figured Zestiria would be announced before the end of the year. Hopefully you're right and they do start hyping it up later this month though.

Shengar

MS moneyhat should have nothing to do with that considering Eternal Sonata and Star Ocean 4 made their way to PS3 and came over. Namco just never felt it was worth it to release Vesperia...though we still have some reports from VAs like Troy Baker that he did extra lines for the PS3 version. Considering how well Xillia sold over here I feel like they should still release it, I think it'd do well even if it'd be a really late release, but more likely they're just going to focus on the new games.
Announced it along the new Tales game I'll be happy man. If not, then I'll grant the honor Vesperia to be the first game I played in Japanese

kayos90

I'm glad you're not running this company.

Soriku

I'm glad you're not running this company.

Not sure why you think it wouldn't at least do OK when you have a lot of people still asking for it and Tales has gotten even more popular on PS3. Not to mention if they already had work done on it.

kayos90

Not sure why you think it wouldn't at least do OK when you have a lot of people still asking for it and Tales has gotten even more popular on PS3. Not to mention if they already had work done on it.

The game is a re-release of an old title. There is no indication of how much localization was actually done for the PS3 version of the game. It would need to be remarketed and budgeted. There are other projects that NB is working on localizing. Working on Vesperia now is an absolutely terrible idea.

Soriku

The game is a re-release of an old title. There is no indication of how much localization was actually done for the PS3 version of the game. It would need to be remarketed and budgeted. There are other projects that NB is working on localizing. Working on Vesperia now is an absolutely terrible idea.

Obviously they should focus on new stuff if that's all they have the resources for. But if not, I don't think releasing it would be the worst idea. I think it'd recoup costs. Hell it might even be a better idea than releasing the Vita games.

kayos90

Obviously they should focus on new stuff if that's all they have the resources for. But if not, I don't think releasing it would be the worst idea. I think it'd recoup costs. Hell it might even be a better idea than releasing the Vita games.

Releasing a game where its profits would only recoup costs is a dumb idea. Resources better spent elsewhere.

Ganondolf

still think Nintendo will get a tales game on the wii u as part of the smash bros deal (cant think of any other Namco game they would want).

as I have a ps3 and will get a ps4 next year I am a happy tales fan. still annoyed about not getting a English ps3 version of vesperia (not buying another xbox for 1 game).

A PS4 is pretty much guaranteed for me because JRPGs are the only genre that doesn't have a strong presence on PC.
Well, they do if you use emulators, but Japanese publishers have been doing more PC ports recently, so maybe they'll start making that a part of their overall strategy.

demidar

Well, they do if you use emulators, but Japanese publishers have been doing more PC ports recently, so maybe they'll start making that a part of their overall strategy.

I meant more recent offerings, I doubt a PS3 emulator will exist for a long while, if ever.

Wow, so they are going to develop for the PlayStation 4, then.
Given their responses before, I had thought that maybe they were going to wait several years and stay with PlayStation 3 development, for worry that there would be a lack of install base on the PlayStation 4 for many years.

The lack of XBOX 360 support is no surprise. They've been developing for Sony systems exclusively for many years. Though it does disappoint me, in that I'd like Tales to be a multiplatform franchise. And this hurts my dreams of someday playing the games on the PC.

I meant more recent offerings, I doubt a PS3 emulator will exist for a long while, if ever.
Yeah, the PS3 catalog is pretty much out of our reach for a while, but since most JRPGs have shifted to handhelds like the PSP, it's easier to get emulators for those kinds of platforms.

The problem is that there aren't even text-only localizations for most of these games, which makes them a pain in the ass to play. It's one thing to deal with an SRPG that has simple objectives that allow you to get by with a wiki or game FAQ without any knowledge of Japanese, but playing an RPG without being able to comprehend the story doesn't appeal to me at all.

demidar

Yeah, the PS3 catalog is pretty much out of our reach for a while, but since most JRPGs have shifted to handhelds like the PSP, it's easier to get emulators for those kinds of platforms.

The problem is that there aren't even text-only localizations for most of these games, which makes them a pain in the ass to play. It's one thing to deal with an SRPG that has simple objectives that allow you to get by with a wiki or game FAQ without any knowledge of Japanese, but playing an RPG without being able to comprehend the story doesn't appeal to me at all.

Agree, I want to be able to comprehend the story which is one of the reasons why I play JRPGs (the other being their battle systems). Maybe I will have to learn Japanese a few years down the line when nothing gets translated anymore :p

Kinda lame for Xbox owners.

I think the majority of Xbox owners could give a rat's ass about this, actually. Not to say there aren't Xbox fans that love JRPGs, but I think the bulk of owners are more towards Western taste/Dudebro/FPS/TPS and the such. or less casual gamers who cringe to think about overly colorful fantasy worlds, anime characters and such. And that's in the West. In Japan, Xbox is EXTREMELY unpopular. For next gen(er, this gen, now), PS4 is the wisest way to go. I mean, no need in even TRYING to win over the majority of Xbox owners now. That's a battle that was lost years ago. Let be the places you aren't wanted, and focus on the places that DO want you!

Because that's not what their market or niche is, and it just doesn't fit with their brand at all. All they managed to do is hurt the sales of titles, and the genre as a whole, by keeping them as an exclusive on their console that sold abysmally over there.
I feel very differently. I feel that could have fit Microsoft's brand if they went for it. But they only did so half heartedly. They should have expected things to be difficult at first, but to persevere.

Microsoft didn't understand the Japanese market, and did not understand how to go after it. And quickly gave up.

The XBOX 360 didn't have to become the Western market niche console it became. It had a great head start in the market, only helped by the flawed launch of the PlayStation 3. And missed an opportunity not only with Japan, but Europe as well. The XBOX 360 only substantially succeeded in the United States. And that is something they could have avoided.

There's a good video on Constructoid about all of this. It's too bad that Constructoid went away and Destructoid stopped making it.

koutoru

I feel very differently. I feel that could have fit Microsoft's brand if they went for it. But they only did so half heartedly. They should have expected things to be difficult at first, but to persevere.

Microsoft didn't understand the Japanese market, and did not understand how to go after it. And quickly gave up.
Yes, Microsoft eventually gave up on Japan. However, I don't think it was for lack of effort. Microsoft was trying to work closely with Japanese developers since the launch of the original Xbox. Their problem was that they could never communicate effectively with Japanese publishers and developers and always came off as too western in how they conducted business in Japan.

When you look back on it, Microsoft actually spent a lot of money effort trying to advertise the Xbox as a more eastern friendly console in Japan. They just spent a lot of time and effort on the wrong things and eventually decided to focus more on western markets.

Top Bottom