• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hilary Goldstein, IGN 360 Editor , Bashes Xbox 360

belvedere said:
Dead prostitute. Hillary Clinton. Liquorice thong. Needle nose pliers. Odd variety of artificial sweeteners. Giant football helmet filled with cottage cheese.

My god what have you done! Make two dead prostitutes and some heroin in a fecies based medium. See you in O-T.

theBishop said:

theBishop Usage Musings [1/31-2/6]

Sony:
Took a break from Rockband (drums). Played a ton of Burnout Paradise and Call of Duty 4 on Playstation3. Must get back to Assassin's Creed and Orange Box. Beat Syphon Filter Logan's Shadow on PSP and started Dracula X Chronicles. Been playing Pixel Junk Monsters over remote play while my girlfriend watches TV. HOURS: 12

Microsoft:
Xbox360 has been unplugged since I beat Halo3. Mass Effect is on the shelf, but no ETA when I will get around to it. HOURS: 0

Nintendo:
There are currently no Nintendo consoles in my apartment. Considered picking up a DS for the new Advance Wars, but the slate of upcoming PSP games will keep me busy on the portable front. HOURS: n/a

Hope that helps all you "home analysts" apply my personal experience to your usage prediction threads!

Keep doing em! If they are pissing off this many people, they have to be good!

Bravo!

Mojovonio

Banned
theBishop said:

Microsoft:
Xbox360 has been unplugged since I beat Halo3. Mass Effect is on the shelf, but no ETA when I will get around to it. HOURS: 0

I AM SHOCKED

ENOUGH TO MAKE A NEW THREAD ABOUT IT

Darkpen

Banned
theBishop said:

Sony:
Took a break from Rockband (drums). Played a ton of Burnout Paradise and Call of Duty 4 on Playstation3. Must get back to Assassin's Creed and Orange Box. Beat Syphon Filter Logan's Shadow on PSP and started Dracula X Chronicles. Been playing Pixel Junk Monsters over remote play while my girlfriend watches TV. HOURS: 12

Microsoft:

Nintendo:
There are currently no Nintendo consoles in my apartment. Considered picking up a DS for the new Advance Wars, but the slate of upcoming PSP games will keep me busy on the portable front. HOURS: n/a

Hope that helps all you "home analysts" apply my personal experience to your usage prediction threads!
:lol :lol :lol

I have to admit, I've only been playing on my PS3 and PSP for the past month. Still need to pick up that 360 though, want some Halo 3 love (and bioshock and orange box and mass effect love).

....this is sooo OT :lol

Darji

Banned
belvedere said:
* Xbox can't compete and PS3 will win.
true

* "From a hardware standpoint, MS is in trouble."
true
* HD-DVD is dead and MS will have to add a BR player or add-on , but that it will always make it a more expensive console b/c even if they do an add-on for $200, why would anyone buy it?
true that HDDVD is dead

* They even bash the XBL movie download service.
Dont know much about it

* Sony's 10 year plan is going to make it dominant. People don't want to buy a new console every 4 years.
True
* The PS3 is going to sell b/c of of BR just by default.
huh?^^
* XBox makes you pay for online and PSN is free.
true
* PS3 is only going to get more and more attractive with better games long-term.
true
* PS3 is better value and you can replace the HD with any bigger Hard drive.
true
* MS is reluctant to offer user-generated content while Sony is embracing it.
nah^^
* "No way that MS can offer you what Sony gives you" for the money.
true
* MS needs a redesign of the XBox.
true
* MS is getting too arrogant.
true^^
*360 peripherals more expensive for less functionality (HDD, wireless etc)
yep^^

I think most of his points are understandable and right

* HD-DVD is dead and MS will have to add a BR player or add-on , but that it will always make it a more expensive console b/c even if they do an add-on for $200, why would anyone buy it?
* Sony's 10 year plan is going to make it dominant. People don't want to buy a new console every 4 years.
* PS3 is only going to get more and more attractive with better games long-term.

That's considered 'bashing' by a journalist now, huh?

Bolded the unquestionable facts.

Kittonwy

Banned
Mojovonio said:
I hate the PS3 so much, I told it it was ugly yesterday.

One day your PS3 will get fed up with your shit and leave you, and you'll be like "baby please don't go."
Indifferent2.gif

Folks just getting worked up in a tizzy cuz of who's ranting the rant. Having IGN's 360 channel editor go on a bash like this is akin to Bettenhausen going on a 10 minute anti ps3 rant on the next 1up Yours.

kazinova

I love threads that dredge up meaningless shit so that they can spiral into an unflinching unchanging debate between Sony and Microsoft supporters.

Lemme paraphrase what this will turn into if people keep posting (hopefully, they won't):

I'm right because I like game X and genre Y and since only the Z has said game it's the best. Clearly people only like X and Y because I'm the only person in the world who matters. God, I turn myself on! *Fap Fap Fap*

Mojovonio

Banned
Darji said:
true

Yep, PS3 is RAPING the 360 in sales!

true
true that HDDVD is dead

Yes

Dont know much about it

Me neither, but it sucks

True

MS is quitting anyways.

huh?^^

Its true. I know so many people that bought a PS3 just to play blu-rays. They still buy games, lots of em. They just don't want to play them.

true

Yeah. PSN is better than XBL too.

true

Yep. And the 360 isn't getting any games to make it look attractive at all.

true

So true. And it seems like everyone agrees with the crazy amount of PS3s being sold.

nah^^

This is true.

true

People don't seem to mind spending the extra money for features they probably don't even care about.

true

Yeah, put a George foreman grill in it. Worked for the PS3.

true^^

Its true. Sony is winning because they are humble.

yep^^

Yep. Rumble is last gen anyways.

I think most of his points are understandable and right

Me too

Kittonwy

Banned
Choke on the Magic said:
Then your 360 will die and you'll be a widow. Depressed you'll then go and marry a
Sega Saturn

I'm not married to my 360 though, I don't really play anything outside of the big exclusives and I'm pretty much done with them.
Indifferent2.gif

ShowDog

belvedere said:
Summary:

Some of those points seem pretty legit. As a 360 owner, I've thought some of the same things. I think 360 will do fine in NA, and at the very worst will end up like the original Xbox, which wasn't a bad alternative to the PS2 until Microsoft cut the cord early. Worldwide though, the PS3 passing up the 360 in sales is inevitable. It seems a few of Sony's gambles that looked so so stupid in the beginning are starting to pay off as the PS3 drops in price.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
belvedere said:
Summary

:O The only one that matters. If the snotty gamerati accuse you of arrogance, your goose is cooked. No one knows more about arrogance than these guys.

theBishop

Banned
CitizenCope said:
Does he hate how you don't have to install games on the 360?

He especially hates it on the consoles that for some reason do not include a hard drive in 2008.

don't take this thread too seriously...

MaX_PL

Banned
michaeld said:
I may be in the minority, but I do like a new console every 4-5 years.

:lol me too.

otherwise i'd still be stuck playing PS2 or Xbox games right now, something i definitely do not want.

Kyoufu

Hilary: "I think they're in trouble because, you know, their console is not built to be around for 10 years and if you believe Sony which I think they way they talk about it sounds reasonable, their console is gonna actually build on itself for 10 years and be really strong...and I think that people's willingness to buy new hardware is not going to get shorter. They buy a TV once every 10 years, they buy a DVD Player once every 10 years, they're going to want to buy a console every 7 or 8 years not something that will only last 4 years (or something that is going to break). So I do think MS will be in trouble if Sony is going strong and actually have a bunch of games because sooner or later people are gonna turn around, the system is going to sell because Blu-ray is winning, just by default, I mean if the PS3 drops at all in price, even if it doesn't drop in price its a 400 dollar Blu-Ray player with a game system that happens to come with it, the same price as Microsoft's offering with no HD movie player, no Wifi included, pay 50 bucks for online service, there is a whole lot that xbox does not offer, and the only way it does offer is if you buy more stuff whereas the PS3 is not going to get more expensive, its only going to get cheaper, its only going to be more attractive, its only going to get more and more games coming out for it and they're going to be looking better because as time goes by developers will be able to make better looking games for it.

So yeah PS2 sold better but one it was also a brand name that had been around for a long time, two dont forget it sold alot because people were switching to DVDs. Kids could convince their parents to buy the PS2 saying "we need a DVD player, so its already included", people in the next two years are gonna start switching to a Blu-Ray player, they're not gonna buy a 360 to play Blu-Rays. They're either gonna buy a blu-ray player that stands-alone for 300 bucks or buy a PS3 for 400 bucks. Kinda seems like a simple leap of logic that the installed base is gonna grow because of the fact that it has a blu-ray player, and if you already have the system and you see cool games coming out you can buy those cool games."

*talk about 360 offering blu-ray add-on to compete, Hilary counters with:

"But they're never going to offer a competitive price, the hardware will never be able to compete with a feature set like the PS3's. Imagine if the 360 was 300 bucks, and they offered a blu-ray add-on for 200, that'd be 500 bucks for the package, with a smaller hard-drive, *goes on about HDD advantage of PS3 and how you can have linux on it and get your own HDDs cheaper than the ones Microsoft offers, and how PS3 does user-generated content which Microsoft is very reluctant to offer, free online service with their only problem being they dont have the broad gamertag that works with every game, game to game. Microsoft is never going to have the full functionality of the PS3. You've gotta pay 100 bucks (which is ridiculous) for the Wifi with the 360 itself being whatever amount, lets say 400 bucks, and then blu-ray addon for 200 bucks thats 700 bucks, then you gotta pay for Live thats 750 bucks, and then what? Microsoft makes a NEW machine...its just not going to happen, they're in trouble. One of the problems Xbox had was the lack of games and lack of 3rd party support, Sony is still going to have 3rd parties making games for them, they're gonna have more games than the Xbox did definitely."

Grammar and paragraphing be damned. That sucked to transcript :(

And yay I was beaten :(

Kyoufu said:
Hilary: "I think they're in trouble because, you know, their console is not built to be around for 10 years and if you believe Sony which I think they way they talk about it sounds reasonable, their console is gonna actually build on itself for 10 years and be really strong...and I think that people's willingness to buy new hardware is not going to get shorter. They buy a TV once every 10 years, they buy a DVD Player once every 10 years, they're going to want to buy a console every 7 or 8 years not something that will only last 4 years (or something that is going to break). So I do think MS will be in trouble if Sony is going strong and actually have a bunch of games because sooner or later people are gonna turn around, the system is going to sell because Blu-ray is winning, just by default, I mean if the PS3 drops at all in price, even if it doesn't drop in price its a 400 dollar Blu-Ray player with a game system that happens to come with it, the same price as Microsoft's offering with no HD movie player, no Wifi included, pay 50 bucks for online service, there is a whole lot that xbox does not offer, and the only way it does offer is if you buy more stuff whereas the PS3 is not going to get more expensive, its only going to get cheaper, its only going to be more attractive, its only going to get more and more games coming out for it and they're going to be looking better because as time goes by developers will be able to make better looking games for it.

So yeah PS2 sold better but one it was also a brand name that had been around for a long time, two dont forget it sold alot because people were switching to DVDs. Kids could convince their parents to buy the PS2 saying "we need a DVD player, so its already included", people in the next two years are gonna start switching to a Blu-Ray player, they're not gonna buy a 360 to play Blu-Rays. They're either gonna buy a blu-ray player that stands-alone for 300 bucks or buy a PS3 for 400 bucks. Kinda seems like a simple leap of logic that the installed base is gonna grow because of the fact that it has a blu-ray player, and if you already have the system and you see cool games coming out you can buy those cool games."

"But they're never going to offer a competitive price, the hardware will never be able to compete with a feature set like the PS3's. Imagine if the 360 was 300 bucks, and they offered a blu-ray add-on for 200, that'd be 500 bucks for the package, with a smaller hard-drive, *goes on about HDD advantage of PS3 and how you can have linux on it and get your own HDDs cheaper than the ones Microsoft offers, and how PS3 does user-generated content which Microsoft is very reluctant to offer, free online service with their only problem being they dont have the broad gamertag that works with every game, game to game. Microsoft is never going to have the full functionality of the PS3. You've gotta pay 100 bucks (which is ridiculous) for the Wifi with the 360 itself being whatever amount, lets say 400 bucks, and then blu-ray addon for 200 bucks thats 700 bucks, then you gotta pay for Live thats 750 bucks, and then what? Microsoft makes a NEW machine...its just not going to happen, they're in trouble. One of the problems Xbox had was the lack of games and lack of 3rd party support, Sony is still going to have 3rd parties making games for them, they're gonna have more games than the Xbox did definitely."

The full in context transcript makes it seem like even less of a 'bash' than the bullet points did...

The amount of things that microsoft screws up are so frustrating. Especially since 360 is my favorite system, and things like pay-for-play online, hardware problems, and the expensive accessories just plain suck. It's a good thing 9/10 games I want are on the system.

Drop the elite to $300, make the core $200, and forget the premium. Make a hardware revision that works. Period. End of story. It has to work. Make a $400 Blu Ray version of the premium with 20gb HD. Make live free, increase XBLA and DLC prices ever so slightly to compensate, and add more ads. You will win. This is what you should be doing, microsoft. Get on it.

theBishop said:
He especially hates it on the consoles that for some reason do not include a hard drive in 2008.

don't take this thread too seriously...

Totally, I was just trying to keep up with what has become one of the busier(non NPD numbers) system war days in some time on Gaf.:D

theBishop said:

Sony:

Microsoft:
Wait . . . you have a 360 yet bought the PS3 version of Orange Box? :lol

Guy Legend

Kyoufu said:

Hardly a "bash", but legitimate concerns/complaints. Thanks for the transcript.

Darkpen

Banned
Raist said:
Seriously, it's a POS site.

stealth edit : your tag. wtf :lol
*shrugs* I had no idea what n4g was to begin with. Someone linked the podcast in one of the dmc4 threads (I don't even remember which one), and someone suggested this be its own thread :/

Basch

Prince8 said:
Lol, he's a dude, and is name is Hilary :lol

HAAHHAHA :lol

Hey, I'm a dude, and my name is Kelsey. :D I think each console has its pros and cons. Owning multiple consoles kind of does that to you. ;) Its just his opinion anyways. Not that big of a deal.

Firewire

Banned
Basch said:
Hey, I'm a dude, and my name is Kelsey. :D I think each console has its pros and cons. Owning multiple consoles kind of does that to you. ;) Its just his opinion anyways. Not that big of a deal.

Ha Ha! Kelsey! :lol

Top Bottom