• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hindsight is 20/20: Driveclub

cyber_ninja

Beautiful game, but corridor race tracks are not good enough anymore

I'd rather race in a corridor than in a corn field (open world) as I prefer more lean and focused experience. Open world racers are fine, but they get old pretty quick for me. I enjoy driving around in those games, but racing part isn't that compelling and boring imo, besides there's too much bloat for my liking in those games.

DJ Gunner

I have many mixed thoughts on the game.

Visually- unmatched on console.

As a challenge, the game was the best racer I've played since Midnight Club II. Got the platinum ages ago and all trophies on all DLCs except one. Every time new DLC hit I relished the challenge of knocking it out.

That being said- the handling model felt very uninspired to me. I can't put my finger on it but the cars in most cases were simply not fun to drive. The only times I found myself really enjoying the racing was in super/hypercars on point to point tracks with long stretches of straights. This made mutliplayer a non-starter for me- I just didn't like the racing enough to no-life the multiplayer and I've been waiting for a racing game to hook me in that fashion for years.

Personal preference next, but I never liked the lack of customization options or the fact that you really didn't have a "garage".

Gestault

Just play it with motionflow of your tvset activated. I do it, and it plays as if I was playing it @60fps. The more the framerate is steady, the more the motion is effective. On DC, it is perfect.

That sounds sub-par compared to the actual advantages of 60fps gameplay.

Bought it about a week before the weather patch game out, loved it, then the patch came out and was a real game changer. And then even more stuff came out alongside the season pass content.

It's just the perfect game to jump into every now and then, one of two PS4 games I've bought a digital copy for after buying the physical, the other being Rock Band 4.

Griss

Driveclub's been my favourite racer of the generation for at least a year now, around the weather and Japan update.

That's about it. Love the hell out of it.

The PS+ debacle still leaves a slightly bitter taste, though. I remember people telling me 'You were never gonna play it if you're really holding out for that, just buy it.' But it was the principle of the thing.

Then the PS+ version came out and within an hour I purchased the whole thing.

Gestault

-Barebones multiplayer. For a game that was marketed as a multiplayer experience hence the "club" part there was nothing notable about it. It was not very fun to race against randoms who would usually try to bury you at the first corner, but that isnt a problem specific to Diveclub. The limit of 6 players per club was not a good look at all either. They really missed an opportunity to do something cool with the club aspect of the game.

I don't want to sound like I'm leaning into schadenfreude here (because I was in on the frustration), but I still remember the borderline panic in the Driveclub "GAF club" thread that popped up before the game came out, when people assumed you could set up a club large enough to organize the site around.

lem0n

I bought a PS4 for this game. Absolutely no regrets. As a PGR fanatic, this is the game closest to the original formula and scratches the itch.

drotahorror

This thread will be interesting, I remember when before the game came out, everyone said it was terrible, but then all of a sudden people said it was great, I guess all the updates it got helped greatly

I seem to remember they're being some pretty positive people, myself included. Mostly critics smashed it, of course maybe I just skipped over the bad comments on here.

I've said since day 1 it was amazing. Unique and fun handling, some of the best handling I've ever experienced in an arcade racer. Blows my mind when someone says the opposite.

Still the best graphics I've seen in a racer, best sense of speed, great handling, great tracks, insane weather. I hope ex-Evo go on to make the sickest racing game ever with Codemasters.

Definitely in my top 5 racers of all time.

Beautiful game, but corridor race tracks are not good enough anymore

I'm sure you're trolling but the best racing games ever made feature closed courses. I can't think of a single open world racer that is very good and I've played the lot of them.

mokeyjoe

Came to it late, but it's one of the best racers I've played in many years. It looks so good and there's so much content, I don't really see a reason to buy any other racing games this gen. Haven't even got round to touching Bikes yet either.

Bubba77

Its pretty but I found it hard to get into when it launches next to forza horizon 2 which I fell head over heels for. And now of course fh3 which is even better. Different games but I just couldnt get into it.

AlexBasch

I don't like driving games. I have been playing Driveclub ever since I bought it last year.

Not sure what else to tell you. <3

Heh, now there's a blast from the past.

I try to play say Forza and while it's cool I just get distracted and never really do anything. I like the simplicity of straightforward "corridor" racers if that's really the stupid shit we're calling those now.

Don't get the corridor stuff, it's a racing game on racing tracks........ how is that bad?

If it's not open world it's straightforward linear garbage. I'd like to see someone take a stab at open world Tetris for example instead of having to be confined to the brilliant puzzle solving crap. Needs free-roam.

Pejo

I thought the graphics were amazing, cars and courses were varied and gorgeous, VR version was amazing to drive around in, the little mini-challenges were a great idea......but the racing just was not fun at all.

No crashes, no off-roading, cars were always in a pack until you messed up, then you might as well restart. It just wasn't a fun game. I always take Burnout as the extreme opposite example, where the game was insanely fun, but the graphics were kinda meh. I feel like Midnight Club is still the best of all worlds, though i lean heavily to arcade-y racers instead of sims.

Anyways, I'm glad I own Driveclub, it's really fun to just put on and time trial around a course or two, especially in VR, but I don't ever play it seriously or to progress.

I love picking the slower cars and driving around and around the tracks in cockpit mode with the HUD off. I almost never play the actual game, mostly because I've never been able to pass the drift events.

I enjoyed it but if the online worked from day one I probably would have loved it. I would probably go back and buy the bikes DLC if it got a Pro patch but Sony don't seem to wanna patch their first party titles.

I think the handling was my favorite part outside the graphics. They made it feel somewhat hard to do stuff but not hard enough to where it felt like a sim.

One of the worst feeling racers I have played in a long time. Arcadey in all the wrong ways and trying to be sim-lite in all the wrong ways too. The driving was so boring and dull. I played probably 6-8 hours of it, never touched it since even though I paid full price for it. I found the visuals underwhelming as well. It was all so blurry and the tracks were uninspired. I know when games aren't for me, like say a Witcher, why people love them and I don't. But I love racing games. I play pretty much any and every type of racing game there is from super arcadey to hardcore sim and I am still baffled by people's praise of this game.

Clockwork5

My only problems with DC were the lack of a driving line and the AI.

I guess the driving line is personal preference and the AI had no impact on time trials or multiplayer which became my preferred modes of play.

I would say good but not great.

data

I liked it. It's the first game I got with my PS4 and I played the hell out of it. I still play it sometimes.

I'd join the "best racing game of this gen" squad. Especially with the season pass, the amount of content was pretty awesome. Graphics were insane and driving was plain fun.

I thought the handling was fine, and the physics are good enough that I can get into a zone with and play intuitively. I find it relaxing, though it's still thrilling to shave seconds off the lap times.

The graphics, of course, are a huge plus, and I find the light at certain times of the day to make me nostalgic of my own driving experiences. I also LOVE playing with the extensive photo mode.

The one thing I don't really get about the game, since I don't play it online, is the whole "Club" aspect of it. From a gameplay standpoint, that entire facet of the game (and presumably the underlined part of the game) was a non-starter for me.

Yeah, that's pretty much my take. The Club aspect didn't match up to how hard they were leaning on that aspect pre-release, certainly not when considering how broken the networking was at launch.

But the game is a classic. Gorgeous visuals despite the poor IQ at distance, and despite the 30fps. I never totally liked the car handling. I think GT is still tops there for console sim-lites. But it was good enough.

Here's the thing: Driveclub made me feel like I was racing insanely fast moreso than any racing game since Grand Prix Legends. The sense of speed, combined with the weather and lighting, made for a very visceral, evocative racing experience that most racing games can't touch. This is the pocket where DC really did something unique and special.

Nyx

One of the worst feeling racers I have played in a long time. Arcadey in all the wrong ways and trying to be sim-lite in all the wrong ways too. The driving was so boring and dull. I played probably 6-8 hours of it, never touched it since even though I paid full price for it. I found the visuals underwhelming as well. It was all so blurry and the tracks were uninspired. I know when games aren't for me, like say a Witcher, why people love them and I don't. But I love racing games. I play pretty much any and every type of racing game there is from super arcadey to hardcore sim and I am still baffled by people's praise of this game.

To each his own of course, but I'm always baffled when people call DriveClub boring or dull. Wonder if those people played the same game as me, cause driving a Super or Hyper car on and over the limit at 300+ km/h in the pouring rain has been as exciting as a racing game can be for me. The sense of speed combined with the visuals and tight controls really make me wonder how any racing fan can not like this game.

Oh well. :)

Vroadstar

Up to now, the games graphics is untouchable so your hyperbole is wrong in so many levels. Also I found it odd that you are confused that people actually enjoyed playing the game since it's not up to your high standards.

My take as well. The worst part about it is that it's so boring to actually play. I love me some arcade racers but Driverclub was bad, it was hard to even get through a single race tbh.

See.

Hearing that the game is boring blows my mind, but thats what happens when you start the career with slow ass 4 banger races on tracks with a boring time of day. People don't even seem to get through the first few races. Those cars literally have less horsepower than my daily drive.

If they started the game with a dynamic day/night shift in screaming Ferrari 458 italia, people would probably have vastly different impressions. Gotta put your best foot forward when you're trying to establish something new.

Shit ton of missed op's this game is. Interesting.

To each his own of course, but I'm always baffled when people call DriveClub boring or dull. Wonder if those people played the same game as me, cause driving a Super or Hyper car on and over the limit at 300+ km/h in the pouring rain has been as exciting as a racing game can be for me. The sense of speed combined with the visuals and tight controls really make me wonder how any racing fan can not like this game.

Oh well. :)

Agreed. This is my opinion on the matter.

Great looking, horrible playing. Reminded me of split second without the fun stuff. Just bad handling for a game using real cars. Every car felt like a wheelbarrow and that tire screeching sound. VR version reminded me how much I hated the handling in this game.

itshutton

I literally know nothing about racing games. My last game was Motorstorm PR which I enjoyed somewhat.

That being said, I had a blast with this game. I got hooked for quite a few weeks. Never made it to level 50 for the plat though.

Endo Punk

It was like watching paint dry, the most ho-hum racer I have ever played. I know they're just cars but it was devoid of any personality.

Top Bottom