• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hip-hop in the past decade, your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstripes

Banned
As I said in a similar thread, it's kind of amazing the aging hip-hop fanbase has finally reached its "rock has been going downhill since Led Zeppelin" stage.

As I said in a similar thread, it's kind of amazing the aging hip-hop fanbase has finally reached its "rock has been going downhill since Led Zeppelin" stage.

To be fair, I was a backpacker as a teenage, saying mostly the same stuff. Now I'm 30 and think hip-hop's in a fine place, mostly due to the internet changing the music industry allowing artists to find fans without the traditional modes like radio and television

Bookoo

I think hip hop is in a pretty great place.

I used to be the 90s backpacker throughout highschool and most of college, but I eventually started to give artists a chance and now find things to enjoy from conscious hip-hop to the most ignorant trap / mumble rap.

There is plenty great stuff but I think people here just despise the mumble stuff and rightfully so I would say. I can't even place it under hiphop anymore, it really just isn't.
I'd say it's time to give them their own genre.
I don't think you'd find many people dying on the "Mumble rap is hip hop" hill. It just appeals to the same demographic that hip hop used to (Urban youth)

This is in fact a larger problem with the way the powers that be categorize black music in general. Everything is called hip hop or r&b and rarely anything else. Beyonce is often not recognized as pop and at best is labeled as "Urban contemporary".

In any case, I'm just saying good hip hop is bountiful and fairly easy to find.

I don't think you'd find many people dying on the "Mumble rap is hip hop" hill. It just appeals to the same demographic that hip hop used to (Urban youth)

This is in fact a larger problem with the way the powers that be categorize black music in general. Everything is called hip hop or r&b and rarely anything else. Beyonce is often not recognized as pop and at best is labeled as "Urban contemporary".

This is all very true.

collige

Banned

Of course it's hip-hop, the continuity is extremely obvious, both musically and culutrally. Are you gonna go back and retroactively declare Three Six Mafia, Bone Thugs, DJ Screw, etc not hip-hop too?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
It's been great, over the last few years hiphop has become one of the main genres I listen to. Some of my favorite albums

Kanye - Yeezus
RTJ 1+2+3 (thought they couldn't improve on 1 and 2, then they did just that with 3)
Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music
Kendrick - TPaB (GKMC and DAMN are incredible, but Butterfly is in a different category)
Schoolboy Q - Blank Face LP (so addictive, I still listen to this every week)
A Tribe Called Quest - We got it from here...
Danny Brown - XXX + Atrocity Exhibition
Aesop Rock - The Impossible Kid
Cunninlynguists - Oneirology
Vince Staples - Big Fish
Isaiah Rashad - Sun's Tirade
Injury Reserve - Floss

I don't listen to much, but the stuff that seems to be most popular isn't what I like

I'll just keep listening to 90's alternative rock for the rest of my life!

Acorn

King Kendrick, Cudi, some drizzy etc, more than enough for me. I'd put previous years ahead but ofcourse I would, I'm 30.

phanphare

Banned

mumble rap is absolutely hip hop

you ain't gotta like it but them's the facts

I like the new trap music / underground rap

Not a fan of the radio shit tho, just artists like suicideboys, bones, night Lovell, pouya, Denzel curry, death grip is, earl sweat , Danny brown tc like dark atmospheric trap. lil pump and smokepurrp are fun to listen to, because the production is really on point, but it's dumb fun.

I think chance the rapper, j.cole and Kendrick are the best of the mainstream

Joey bada$$ is similar in style, he's very under appreciated. I like boom bap style fro sure. Injury reserve is amazing too

I think hip hop is in a pretty great place.

I used to be the 90s backpacker throughout highschool and most of college, but I eventually started to give artists a chance and now find things to enjoy from conscious hip-hop to the most ignorant trap / mumble rap.

Nearly identical story for me.

Some Nobody

Mumble rap is garbage. Don't @ me on that, lol.

But. This past decade, particularly 2011 onwards? Fucking fantastic. There's so much variety that if you can't find good music its your fuckin' fault, not hip-hop.

Kendrick. Cole. Gambino. (GAF tried to hate at first...GAF was wrong.) Schoolboy Q. Wale. Chance. KYLE. Big KRIT. DFD. Anderson Paak. Lupe Fiasco.

Ya'll not gone play some of my favorite artists like that. And that's before you get to some really good single albums from well-known artists like Nas' Life is Good, or less well-known but still amazing artists like Phonte and Charity Starts at Home.

I'll stack all my favorite projects up from the past decade up and have plenty to listen to. If you don't, again. Your fuckin' fault. Go look.

To be fair, I was a backpacker as a teenage, saying mostly the same stuff. Now I'm 30 and think hip-hop's in a fine place, mostly due to the internet changing the music industry allowing artists to find fans without the traditional modes like radio and television
You probably don't have any nephew's or little cousins reminding u just how terrible modern hiphop is from simply being in their presence. Either that your ears have grown accustomed to the autotuned garbled flow

Bars and Lyricism just isn't hip with the kids these days it seems. Complete opposite of what it was like when I was a teen.

Of course it's hip-hop, the continuity is extremely obvious, both musically and culutrally. Are you gonna go back and retroactively declare Three Six Mafia, Bone Thugs, DJ Screw, etc not hip-hop too?

mumble rap is absolutely hip hop

you ain't gotta like it but them's the facts
I honestly didn't expect anyone to care that much about the label. I personally don't care either way.

Of course I see the continuity. Just as I see the evolution from rhythm and blues to rock and roll. Genres are very fluid and very subjective to me. I don't believe it's super black and white.

BTW I'm not intending to dismiss it either. Im not advocating that's it's not hip hop because I want my hip hop pure or some bs like that. Nor do I actually like the term Mumble rap. I just think that the sound has deviated enough to focus more on melody that there is value in acknowledging it as it's own sound.

phanphare

Banned
I honestly didn't expect anyone to care that much about the label. I personally don't care either way.

Of course I see the continuity. Just as I see the evolution from rhythm and blues to rock and roll. Genres are very fluid and very subjective to me. I don't believe it's super black and white.

I don't care I'm just telling you

mumble rap is hip hop

it's stupid to think other wise

it might be a different sub-genre under the umbrella but it is under the umbrella. it comes off as pretty elitist/whatever term you want to use to turn your nose up to it and try and differentiate it just because you don't like it.

I don't care I'm just telling you

mumble rap is hip hop

it's stupid to think other wise

it might be a different sub-genre under the umbrella but it is under the umbrella. it comes off as pretty elitist/whatever term you want to use to turn your nose up to it and try and differentiate it just because you don't like it.
I get what you're saying. I edited my last post bc I'm honestly not trying to dismiss it or be elitist about it. I personally think it's valuable music. But to me it honestly is a different enough sound. And I don't think I'm "stupid" to think that homie.

Dmented

Banned
IMO besides Kendrick, bad. No real good all around artists. Some might have a nice track here and there but nothing consistent. Kendrick is def #1 artist right now. Refreshing to hear his songs after years of mediocrity in the rap industry.

Some Nobody

IMO besides Kendrick, bad. No real good all around artists. Some might have a nice track here and there but nothing consistent. Kendrick is def #1 artist right now. Refreshing to hear his songs after years of mediocrity in the rap industry.

This KRIT slander is disgusting.

Been trying to catch up on the modern scene for the past year.

I just about dismissed the genre around the time D4L dropped. Remember them? Only dudes I bothered following: DOOM, Lotus, Madlib.

Man, is it good to be back. RTJ caught my attention around the time 2 dropped. Then I just stuck with them and still disregarded the scene. Tunnel vision.

I'm back. For real. Hip-hop is as good ever. Dig Kendrick. Dig Danny Brown, Death grips. List goes on. Just need to let go of the 90s-were-so-great mentality, the tunnel vision. It's out there if you look.

A couple dudes that give me the 90s vibe off the top of my head:

Westside Gunn & Conway (fans of Wu-Tang, gritty east coast. Check in here first)
Joey Badass.

Dmented

Banned
This KRIT slander is disgusting.

If you talking about Big KRIT yeah I forgot about him, he's got some dope shit too. I'm definitely not saying there absolutely isn't any artists worth a shit out there, cause there is. But quite a few of 'em IMO ain't shit except a couple songs.

I will say things seem to be turning around though. More and more artists coming out with great content. I think rap is taking a turn for the good and I'm excited to see where it goes.

phanphare

Banned
I remember when he was one of the hottest mixtape rapper

What has he done recently

his most recent project was this

https://www.hotnewhiphop.com/big-krit-its-better-this-way-new-mixtape.116075.html

I actually think he had a more recent one but I believe he was telling his fans not to listen to it because it was solely to complete a contract obligation or something, some of that sentiment is on It's Better This Way which is actually pretty solid minus the DJ tags

he has a double album coming october 27th though

https://twitter.com/BIGKRIT/status/916143529897938944

Some Nobody

If you talking about Big KRIT yeah I forgot about him, he's got some dope shit too. I'm definitely not saying there absolutely isn't any artists worth a shit out there, cause there is. But quite a few of 'em IMO ain't shit except a couple songs.

I will say things seem to be turning around though. More and more artists coming out with great content. I think rap is taking a turn for the good and I'm excited to see where it goes.

Again. Rap's been good since 2011. Only last year did we really start hearing most of these mumble rap dudes on the radio, but even with that there's plenty of variety and quality music. Not everything has to be about the 90's forever, y'know?

Dmented

Banned
Again. Rap's been good since 2011. Only last year did we really start hearing most of these mumble rap dudes on the radio, but even with that there's plenty of variety and quality music. Not everything has to be about the 90's forever, y'know?

I'm def not purely stuck in the 90s though I tend to listen to that era more. Still like a lot of shit from the early-mid 2000s and then to me shit just dropped off. I stopped paying attention for awhile until the last few years now.

Shit seems to be picking back up again and I'm glad.

phanphare

Banned

this kind of sentiment is just confusing to me. I've been drowning in amazing projects for the past like 5 to 6 years. there are so many different artists out there doing so many different things, like I honestly think the quality and variety right now has never been better you just have to look a little harder because the internet has changed everything.

just scrolling through my music library but here are some artists that have put out quality stuff in the last few years. aesop rock, asap rocky, badbadnotgood with ghostface, krit, billy woods, czarface, danny brown, death grips, denzel curry, earl, elucid, freddie gibbs, solo ghostface, gucci, jay z (4:44 aoty), joey badass, ka, kendrick, oddisee, roc marciano, royce da 5'9", el-p/killer mike/rtj, schoolboy q, tyler (scum fuck flower boy is great), vince staples, and westside gunn

and that's just my music library not shit that I listen to off soundcloud/bandcamp/spotify and don't download

and I'm not even really digging that deep with most of those

Didn't realize I had posted in this prior with my own opinion. My opinion is still the same. I'd go more in depth with artists this December of January.

Mostly disappointing to be honest.

You gotta dig to find the good stuff now, plus I’m from the uk and the scene over here right now is pretty damn hot so I listen to a lot of grime, uk rap and drill.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I actually really like Future, but I'll admit a lot of shit does sound too similar.

I'm aware there is a ton of different artists out there through even if they aren't top of the charts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom