• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

jimi_dini

Square-Enix Montreal is making the next game, and they want to change stuff about the franchise. You better hope they change things for the better.

"Absolution wasn't accessible enough, that's why it sold this badly". "We need to make it easier." "Guys, you know what sells? Call of Duty - we should make it a third person shooter - get rid of the stealth stuff"

Hopefully the Hitman HD collection will sell well, then we might have a chance.

derFeef

Alright, so it seems pretty clear now that this game shits all over the Hitman franchise. Words cannot convey how disappointing that is, given how long I've waited for the next entry in the series.

I really hope that IO pays attention to the criticisms so that maybe this series can be salvaged. Ugh.

1 - I think you are a bit overracting.
2 - The next one could be really different from what we know.

Foffy

Banned
"Absolution wasn't accessible enough, that's why it sold this badly". "We need to make it easier." "Guys, you know what sells? Call of Duty - we should make it a third person shooter - get rid of the stealth stuff"

Hopefully the Hitman HD collection will sell well, then we might have a chance.

I don't think they'll do something like that. Perhaps more of a an open-world Hitman title seems like an interesting direction to take the series. Maybe this sounds like fantasy, but imagining an open-world game where you can do things and have it ripple out to locations where other targets may or may not be sounds awesome. Maybe a little too ambitious, too...

RevDM

Banned
When Hitman Absolution was in its infancy, I recall talk of it being a totally open world environment. Also, driving cars was supposed to be a thing.

What needs to happen for the next Hitman is something that is pseudo open world. A home base/town. From here you have access to purchase weapons, disguises, upgrades, gadgets. You also have access to Intel that is dead-dropped around your town. Based on this intel, you should fly from the airport to complete the contract.

In order to prevent your town from being restricted, the main story should revolve around a mafia/drug lord/etc taking over your town and you find intel based on your own investigative work, ICA is not involved in this part of the story and you take them out as they occupy various districts. Why you do this is really not important, story is not important for Hitman games.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Anyone order from greenmangaming here? With dishonored i could put in the code early and preload the game, with Hitman the code i give it says is invalid. Anyone been able to add hitman to steam after ordering it from GMG?

darthbob

Anyone order from greenmangaming here? With dishonored i could put in the code early and preload the game, with Hitman the code i give it says is invalid. Anyone been able to add hitman to steam after ordering it from GMG?

I did. I haven't even been provided with a key yet. Professional Edition btw.

Can someone explain the reactions in this thread? Seems like it's performing pretty well based on metacritic, and from the videos I've watched, it doesn't seem to stray terribly from the multisolution level design of previous entries. Granted I've only played Hitman 2, but my sense is that was the franchise's peak anyway.

What am I missing? I'm pretty excited for this

First code you get is for Sniper Challenge.

Can someone explain the reactions in this thread? Seems like it's performing pretty well based on metacritic, and from the videos I've watched, it doesn't seem to stray terribly from the multisolution level design of previous entries. Granted I've only played Hitman 2, but my sense is that was the franchise's peak anyway.

You are not negative enough.

ScOULaris

Have you not read any of the countless specific criticisms levied against the game in this thread and many others elsewhere on the Internet? We have pretty clearly spelled out what changes and omissions to the formula that make this arguably the worst Hitman game ever made. It's a decent stealth game, but a crappy Hitman game.

MMaRsu

Banned

If you loved Hitman 2, chances are you are not going to be a huge fan of this game.

ArjanN

Blood Money is great, go get it. Absolution also looks fine from what I've seen, the negative reactions seem a bit glass-half-empty to me.

I'd like this game a helluva lot more if not for the fucking broken disguise and checkpoint systems. Could've done with more classic sandbox levels, too.

rvy

Banned

So am I, don't worry about it too much. People decided to look at previous games with rose tinted glasses. Aside from Blood Money, Hitman games suffered from a bunch of issues that are now being completely overlooked because IO decided to change some things and streamline others.
Even Blood Money suffers from a lot of issues.

ScOULaris

So am I, don't worry about it too much. People decided to look at previous games with rose tinted glasses. Aside from Blood Money, Hitman games suffered from a bunch of issues that are now being completely overlooked because IO decided to change some things and streamline others.

Wait a second. Nobody is acting like the previous Hitman games were problem-free. The problem with Absolution is that it pretty much removes everything that those previous games did right, namely the sandbox level design, functional disguise system, ranking systems that made sense (mostly), and a sense of freedom and choice that has since apparently fallen out of favor with these developers.

It's not that we're heaping undeserved praise on all aspects of the previous games, but rather we're accusing this game of pretty much abandoning everything that people enjoyed from the previous games. It now seems to resemble a more linear, stealth-action game in the vain of Splinter Cell: Conviction.

MMaRsu

Banned

Sure because games had something special that set them apart from most games. This new game totally misses.

rvy

Banned
Wait a second. Nobody is acting like the previous Hitman games were problem-free. The problem with Absolution is that it pretty much removes everything that those previous games did right, namely the sandbox level design, functional disguise system, ranking systems that made sense (mostly), and a sense of freedom and choice that has since apparently fallen out of favor with these developers.

It's not that we're heaping undeserved praise on all aspects of the previous games, but rather we're accusing this game of pretty much abandoning everything that people enjoyed from the previous games. It now seems to resemble a more linear, stealth-action game in the vain of Splinter Cell: Conviction.

Right, Absolution has no sandbox levels, the disguise system doesn't work (meaning what exactly? You dress up like an NPC and access previously restricted areas just the same), the ranking system must reward you for killing people and there's about one way to kill the target.
So, how does Absolution remove everything that made Hitman special? If anything, it fixes some stuff, streamlines other stuff and became story-driven.

Seriously.

Sure because games had something special that set them apart from most games. This new game totally misses.

Sure, it had uniquely wonky controls, dumb and blind AI and ridiculous "accidents", such as throwing someone into the fucking jacuzzi and killing them. The jolst from being thrown must snapped their necks or some shit.
Somehow, this new Hitman game isn't about stealth, isn't about killing targets and is what you would expect the next Gears of War clone to play like.

Blood Money is about the only Hitman game where the execution can be as good as the premise. And even then, a lot of stuff was flawed. Revisionist history will tell you that Blood Money is some sort of stealth game pinnacle though. Reality is that it was an above average stealth game.
You want an example of a great stealth game? Chaos Theory. Not Blood Money. Not a game where the controls are so wonky and the AI can be so blind and dumb.

But clearly I'm in the minority and people who like this game must be complete idiots.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

It didn't remove the sandbox level design, the levels that are point A to B are still open to alternate approaches despite being smaller. Not every level are like the standard Hitman sandbox, but they didn't remove this aspect.

I already explained the ranking system in this thread, it scores per segment, which is why people have said you SA a level if you do the last part well. You SA that specific checkpoint and it gets displayed, but the first 2(or however many) were NOT SA if you went around shooting people. It does make sense even if it appears confusing at first. Of course, you seem to just have heard the people that said "I got SA on this level after shooting people in the first area" and didn't feel the need to look into it yourself or understand why this happens, and instead claim it as nonsensical before even comprehending what is even occurring ingame.

The real problem here is many people are dogpiling without forming their own opinions, and are looking for things to hate. The game still seems to be very much Hitman, it just isn't Blood Money 2.

And to the few that actually have the game and have been posting thoughts, both good and bad, thanks. It's atleast interesting to get actual informed opinions here.

Actually, the disguise system is now fucking broken. It makes gameplay more tedious than it should be, and results in a lot more trial and error. Seriously, I shouldn't have to sneak around a level while wearing a guard outfit because every other guard on the level is fucking psychic and can instantly work out that I'm not one of them because I happened to be walking in the distance.

rvy

Banned
Actually, the disguise system is now fucking broken. It makes gameplay more tedious than it should be, and results in a lot more trial and error. Seriously, I shouldn't have to sneak around a level while wearing a guard outfit because every other guard on the level is fucking psychic and can instantly work out that I'm not one of them because I happened to be walking in the distance.

Can be fixed through a patch if people voice their opinion about it enough. We don't live in a "it's done, deal with it" age anymore. I'm sure IO is looking forward to getting some feedback on how to improve their work.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The disguise system isn't broken at all, and I play on Expert with maximum reaction times. It does set in trial and error, which let us not pretend did not exist in Blood Money. It exist in that game, it exist in Splinter Cell, in Thief, in Deus Ex and just about any stealth game you can name. If you want to have the best scores you will be doing missions over and over again anyway to find all the best kills for targets.

Seriously, the disguise system isn't a free pass anywhere anymore and people cry foul. They still work, you just have to know when to use them.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Just impulse bought this off GMG. Here is the code for those that want to use it: GMG35-FGR37-COY0B

Saw the PC version footage from the Rev3 comparison and it looked great. If anything this game is a looker on PC even if it disappoints as a Hitman game.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
iCV7cLGreSYKp.jpg

Preload is live!

EDIT: See it was already posted, though might as well use a bump to bring it up for folks who didn't see thanks to the WiiU Launch Avalanche.

Foffy

Banned
When does the game go live on Steam for play? I have it pre-loaded, but I'm not sure of what time it goes live on Steam. I'm quite hyped for to actually play it, as over the past week or so I've replayed all of the games, tried Sniper Challenge, and actually played/suffered through the Kane and Lynch titles. I might play Freedom Fighters just to pass the time by, but fuck that's a lot of IO games. <3

The disguise system isn't broken at all, and I play on Expert with maximum reaction times. It does set in trial and error, which let us not pretend did not exist in Blood Money. It exist in that game, it exist in Splinter Cell, in Thief, in Deus Ex and just about any stealth game you can name. If you want to have the best scores you will be doing missions over and over again anyway to find all the best kills for targets.

Seriously, the disguise system isn't a free pass anywhere anymore and people cry foul. They still work, you just have to know when to use them.
It sucks because if you so much as get seen walking on the other side of a large room by another guard, your cover will be blown. AI is too hypersensitive. BM was too easy, now it's too fucking tedious, and makes exploration and scoping maps out an utter chore.

kaskade

Kind of bummed I can't pre load from GMG since they are sending out the keys the day of. Oh well, can't really complain for 20 bucks off.

All pre-loaded and ready to roll. I'm going to have a window of a bout 3-4 hours to play, then I'm off on a trip to my parents for Thanksgiving, so it is going to be a tough time waiting a few days more to play fully. I'm considering renting it and bringing my PS3 so I can play it along side my brother, who is very excited for a new Hitman game.

I'm eager to play this.

Bad7667

Kind of bummed I can't pre load from GMG since they are sending out the keys the day of. Oh well, can't really complain for 20 bucks off.
Have they officially said that? Pretty much order every game from them and have always been sent keys atleast 12 hours before release.

cackhyena

Arthur Gies tweets about the game. Makes me hopeful, personally. Couldn't get into the jank fest/trial and error of previous ones.

"if you fellate himan blood money and then bitch about trial and error in hitman absolution, you're grounded. two weeks, no net or phone."

"(i love blood money. but that game is all fucking trial and error. it's a puzzle game. you try something. you fail. you try again.) "

"there are possibly more targets in absolution than there are in blood money and contracts combined."

kaskade

Have they officially said that? Pretty much order every game from them and have always been sent keys atleast 12 hours before release.

I thought I read it somewhere, I could be wrong though. I'd love for them to send em out a bit early. If that's what they usually do I don't see why they wouldn't.

Edit: Said it in the email: This game is not available for download yet. It will be unlocked on 20-Nov-2012. Any required keys will be made available on that date.

Further down it says that the key may be made available before the email is received so I guess (and hope) it's possible.

Disappointed about GMG if it's true the keys go out day of, but I suppose I can always download it while I'm at school/work. I think all the conflicting reviews are just making me even more hyped to play this. I'm really curious to see how things actually turned out for myself.

Was this posted? Rev3 Games review by Sessler: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AwhhaCrSrI
I love the music in this video. Anyone know what it is?

I am thinking of just selling my gmg key once i get it for cheap and buying the 360 copy just so i have the time to play it before i go out of town on wed

Have been playing for a couple of days now. As a fan of Blood Money, some of the design choices are frustrating, but overall I'm having a good time.

Also if this game doesn't sweep best graphics awards this year, I won't know what to think.

Foffy

Banned
Arthur Gies tweets about the game. Makes me hopeful, personally. Couldn't get into the jank fest/trial and error of previous ones.

"if you fellate himan blood money and then bitch about trial and error in hitman absolution, you're grounded. two weeks, no net or phone."

"(i love blood money. but that game is all fucking trial and error. it's a puzzle game. you try something. you fail. you try again.) "

"there are possibly more targets in absolution than there are in blood money and contracts combined."

Doesn't Absolution have
27 targets?

justjim89

Great points by Gies. His review is probably the best written one I've read yet. 8.5. http://www.polygon.com/game/hitman-absolution/2716

Edit: Is anyone else's Steam randomly saying it's downloading Absolution, then going back to "pre-load complete."

Top Bottom