• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

RevDM

Banned
It looks like the game is largely "get to door" "get to elevator" "get to X" objectives. I have yet to see a single classic hitman target assassinated in any of these videos. The game is far, far more like SC conviction than BM. Whereas older hitman games are a large playground/puzzle with 1 or 2 escapes, this game is narrow with clear path you are supposed to take. It also appears you are rewarded for completed these objectives.

Ex. On screen will show "disable security system." Then will show, "disable backup security system."

This is based on missions 6-12.

It looks like the game is largely "get to door" "get to elevator" "get to X" objectives. I have yet to see a single classic hitman target assassinated in any of these videos. The game is far, far more like SC conviction than BM. Whereas older hitman games are a large playground/puzzle with 1 or 2 escapes, this game is narrow with clear path you are supposed to take. It also appears you are rewarded for completed these objectives.

Did you see the SECOND mission?

Odrion

Banned
That's likely a bug, detection issues have seemingly cropped up in a number of impressions
If this game has godawful AI, it is staying true to the Hitman legacy. :V
Derrick01 said:
You owe it to yourself to play Blood Money first and experience Hitman perfected before playing this. Playing this first would be like playing Invisible War before Deus Ex. It's...too horrifying to imagine someone doing that.
You mean someone will enjoy the game without the previous title factoring in on their opinion then yeah.
abG3W.gif

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
They should have made a new IP then. Sequels don't have the luxury of not being compared against their predecessors and it's even worse when it's a series that has at least 1 legendary game in it.

I believe you are overstating Blood Money's significance. Just a little.

justjim89

Ex. On screen will show "disable security system." Then will show, "disable backup security system."

The more I learn about this, the more I thank God for Contracts mode. It seems like it'll be the saving grace of this game instead of merely extending replay value. I'd be a lot more upset and worried if it wasn't part of the game.

Mr Swine

Banned
Any idea what difficulty the guy is playing on? On one hand, I love the idea that guards won't just instantly open fire on you the moment you arouse suspicion. That's one of the things I really hate about this series. Even in Blood Money, in You Better Watch Out, if you so much as touch the tape while dressed as a guard, they instantly open fire on you. It's a bit absurd. If it's true that most guards will just try and arrest you in this game I'll be happy.

Guards shoots you if you have the wrong weapon out too which sometimes this kind of small mistakes makes you restart the level :/

Odrion

Banned
I believe you are overstating Blood Money's significance. Just a little.
True, if you want to be perfectly honest the Himan series were always b-tier games whose ideas were always cooler than the execution. But those ideas will always be forever cool as fuck and Blood Money was the closest it got to executing those ideas correctly.

It's going to be really hard to not spoil myself on this.
iEj9dx9YccnHI.jpg

iY1Egp2KLjha4.jpg

iiKzE6NHCydNV.jpg

Looks like I'll go for Expert. I don't mind if you can just bypass the checkpoints. Also, Instinct doesn't regenerate even on Normal, so doesn't seem as OP. Purist assumes you've already played the game and know the environments by heart.

DukeBobby

The
Streets of Hope
mission looked like classic Hitman to me.

Also, a couple of the reviews I read stated that the
Hope missions (the game's Part II) were the game's weakest.

I don't think anybody expects a mission set
in a factory
to be strictly non-linear.

RevDM

Banned
The
Streets of Hope
mission looked like classic Hitman to me.

Also, a couple of the reviews I read stated that the
Hope missions (the game's Part II)
were the game's weakest.

At the very least you can open up the YT page and jump around and watch 10 second clips. You'll get an idea of what the game expects you to do.

Please use spoilers. Especially considering missions, what they are like etc.

Sorry, what I meant to say was that the missions are
shit

Looks like I'll go for Expert. I don't mind if you can just bypass the checkpoints. Also, Instinct doesn't regenerate even on Normal, so doesn't seem as OP. Purist assumes you've already played the game and know the environments by heart.
Hmm, those descriptions look intimidating, but I think I'll still go with purist. Guess I can always go down if it's too difficult.

Interfectum

See, that's kinda funny. I thought it might be just lifted from another site, but thought 'No way they'd have it as "Perks"' considering some of those listed are just differences'. So it turns out you copy/pasted it, but changed "Features" to "Perks" for whatever reason. :p

I don't see that much of a difference between calling it a feature and a perk besides one being a tad more dramatic.... ;0

RevDM

Banned
This is by far the most idiotic thing I've read in this thread.

So, you've just skimmed through the videos and not actually watched them, right?

No, I watched them. I was saying for you since you probably don't want spoilers.

I'm thinking of cancelling my preorder and playing something else over the Thanksgiving break.

Help me pick one:

Arkham City
or
AC III

justjim89

No, I watched them. I was saying for you since you probably don't want spoilers.

I'm thinking of cancelling my preorder and playing something else over the Thanksgiving break.

Help me pick one:

Arkham City
or
AC III

While I don't agree with your sentiment, and I've only watched one of the videos, Dishonored is a pretty sweet play on the Hitman/Thief style of stealth with a bit of magic thrown in. Big, open levels, multiple paths, etc.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

RevDM

Banned
While I don't agree with your sentiment, and I've only watched one of the videos, Dishonored is a pretty sweet play on the Hitman/Thief style of stealth with a bit of magic thrown in. Big, open levels, multiple paths, etc.

Heard Dishonored was ridiculously easy, which is why I strayed from it.

Odrion

Banned
You've played both, cool.
I'm wise enough to analysis the criticism that has come out of this game to know it's going to be a casual bore that resembles little of the games that came out before it. So yes, you're better off wearing the agent outfit in Sleeping Dogs and using your imagination then spending $60 on this turd.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

Help me pick one:

Arkham City
or
AC III

AC3 isn't anywhere near as good as Arkham City.

DukeBobby

Guys.. Do yourselves a favor and watch this clip. It loads after the cutscene so no spoilers contained.

http://youtu.be/QkMnMyk3-pM?t=5m18s

In another thread, Guesong (a poster who has played and completed the game) mentioned that the game had a couple of 'special' chapters that were basically just interactive cutscenes. This is one of them. They serve no real purpose other than to advance the plot.

At least show off an actual mission to demonstrate your point.

RevDM

Banned
In another thread, Guesong (a poster who has played and completed the game) mentioned that the game had a couple of 'special' chapters that were basically just interactive cutscenes. This is one of them. They serve no real purpose other than to advance the plot.

At least show off an actual mission to demonstrate your point.

Again, it's after the cutscene (apparently unless you're on a mobile device, skip to 1:15).

http://youtu.be/h2x1MbeQvVY?t=1m15s

RevDM

Banned
Did you even read what I said?

At least show off an actual mission to demonstrate your point.[/B]
That's what you said, and that's what I did.
What does this prove?

It proves my point about the linearity of this game. About the "objectives." About how this game is everything that a Hitman game is not. This is not a game about assassinating targets. This is a game about getting from point A to B.

justjim89

Again, it's after the cutscene (apparently unless you're on a mobile device, skip to 1:15).

http://youtu.be/h2x1MbeQvVY?t=1m15s

What's so bad about this? Sub-objectives to contribute to the larger objective. A bit straightforward, perhaps, but who's to say you have to follow them and there are no ways around?

Whatever the case, maybe I'm just not easily raged, but none of this really seems like a dealbreaker for me. Especially when Contracts can be used to make some of the more A to B levels proper Hitman levels.

RevDM

Banned
What's so bad about this? Sub-objectives to contribute to the larger objective. A bit straightforward, perhaps, but who's to say you have to follow them and there are no ways around?

Whatever the case, maybe I'm just not easily raged, but none of this really seems like a dealbreaker for me. Especially when Contracts can be used to make some of the more A to B levels proper Hitman levels.

My jimmies are rustled.

DukeBobby

It proves my point about the linearity of this game. About the "objectives." About how this game is everything that a Hitman game is not. This is not a game about assassinating targets. This is a game about getting from point A to B.

We all knew that certain levels would be somewhat linear. Clearly, you didn't watch the
Streets of Hope mission (now called 'Shaving Lenny')
. Unless my eyes are deceiving me, the level is non linear and has plenty of targets to assassinate.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

How is that linear? You are getting to point A to B but have a plethora of ways to do it. These 'linear' levels are options in contracts mode which let your roam around and pick targets, so they're all still open.

MJLord

Can't we just wait and see and keep the thread to being hyped. At this point in time I doubt you're gonna change anyone's purchase.

So hyped for this game !! Been too long since I've stepped into that suit :D

Top Bottom