• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

jimi_dini

Come on it was just a bit of side fun.

Blood Money would have shown the cutscene in realtime by splitting the screen and would not have taken control away from the player. Also 47 wouldn't have fist-QTE-fighted himself out. I mean what is this? Uncharted 3?

I don't recall the PCG review mentioning any QTEs and that's currently the review with the worst score. I really can't believe it.

RevDM

Banned
We all knew that certain levels would be somewhat linear. Clearly, you didn't watch the
Streets of Hope mission (now called 'Shaving Lenny')
. Unless my eyes are deceiving me, the level is non linear and has plenty of targets to assassinate.

I wish you would watch the other videos so you can understand that I'm trying to tell you that most of the missions are like this.

How is that linear? You are getting to point A to B but have a plethora of ways to do it. These 'linear' levels are options in contracts mode which let your roam around and pick targets, so they're all still open.

You see, considering the disguise system is horrendous from what we've seen and that the multiple ways you mention are actually (always from what we've seen and heard) pretty obvious "A or B" paths, I think there are reasons to be pessimistic.

Persona86

Banned
Blood Money would have shown the cutscene in realtime by splitting the screen and would not have taken control away from the player. Also 47 wouldn't have fist-QTE-fighted himself out. I mean what is this? Uncharted 3?

I don't recall the PCG review mentioning any QTEs and that's currently the review with the worst score. I really can't believe it.
Hmm your right about the cutscene bit, it was better before.

But I like variety in my games, I'm sure the QTE's are a rare part of the game, so why not.

Raptomex

People are hating on this game and it's not even out yet. I'm looking forward to it. Whether it's linear or not I'm happy about the replayability and the contracts mode looks really cool.

Socreges

Banned
It proves my point about the linearity of this game. About the "objectives." About how this game is everything that a Hitman game is not. This is not a game about assassinating targets. This is a game about getting from point A to B.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDxlhPMCQgo#t=8s

It proves my point about the waterness of this game. About the "H2O". About how this game is everything that a land-lover would fear. This is not a game about platforming. This is a game about swimming.

You see, considering the disguise system is horrendous from what we've seen and that the multiple ways you mention are actually (always from what we've seen and heard) pretty obvious "A or B" paths, I think there are reasons to be pessimistic.

But the paths in these games have always been A or B (or C). Blood Money has two main entry points in You Better Watch Out... is that now linear? Same with Til Death Do Us Part, two main entry points.

We seem to be watching footage of someone do something one way and concluding that is the ONLY way, which is nuts.

But the paths in these games have always been A or B (or C). Blood Money has two main entry points in You Better Watch Out... is that now linear? Same with Til Death Do Us Part, two main entry points.

We seem to be watching footage of someone do something one way and concluding that is the ONLY way, which is nuts.

No, you don't get it. I'm not talking about entry points alone - in Absolution there are entire levels like that. In BM there were three-four ways in the areas, but then you were free to act. Here there are sandbox levels (which look crappy because of the disguise system) and "linear" levels (which look crappy because of the limited choice of movement).

No, 47 would've taken enemies out with a poorly-animated headbutt and one-two punch.

RevDM

Banned

Hitman games have largely been A to B back to A

njr

Guys.. Do yourselves a favor and watch this clip. It loads after the cutscene so no spoilers contained.

http://youtu.be/QkMnMyk3-pM?t=5m18s

The fact that something like this is in the game is disappointing. I honestly think the root of all these problems is the story/location. I get that they're trying to make 47 appealing to a bigger crowd by making him look like a badass, but this is ridiculous. Everything I've seen so far from leaked gameplay just doesn't fit well with the idea of what Hitman is. At this point Uncharted is better at being a Hitman game than Hitman. With talks about there being another Hitman game, hopefully that game can start off as this one never existed..

DukeBobby

The fact that something like this is in the game is disappointing. I honestly think the root of all these problems is the story/location. I get that they're trying to make 47 appealing to a bigger crowd by making him look like a badass, but this is ridiculous. Everything I've seen so far from leaked gameplay just doesn't fit well with the idea of what Hitman is. At this point Uncharted is better at being a Hitman game than Hitman. With talks about there being another Hitman game, hopefully that game can start off as this one never existed..

I can't believe I'm still reading idiotic comments like this. I honestly cannot believe it....

justjim89

I heard some say of the DE:HR devs taking on the next Hitman game. Could be interesting to get a fresh take. Then remembered that same studio was lsated to make Thi4f. One studio could very well hold the future of open stealth gaming, and all memories of it, in their hands. A bit frightening.

But hey, I loved Human Revolution.

Odrion

Banned
I can't believe I'm still reading idiotic comments like this. I honestly cannot believe it....
I cannot believe that after hearing about it in the press for a year that Square-Enix was going to squeeze out a turd, reading articles about the density and corn count of said turd, watching big budget trailers showing the turd bombastically fall out of the anus, and then watching youtube videos of this turd splatter onto your bowl, that some of you guys are still trying to convince yourself that it's ice cream.

But who am I to say it's poop? I haven't eaten it yet.

I cannot believe that after hearing about it in the press for a year that Square-Enix was going to squeeze out a turd, reading articles about the density and corn count of said turd, watching big budget trailers showing the turd bombastically fall out of the anus, and then watching youtube videos of this turd splatter onto your bowl, that some of you guys are still trying to convince yourself that it's ice cream.

Because we've also seen fantastic nuggets (lol) of gameplay that are much more reminiscent of previous games.

DukeBobby

This comment sums up this entire thread so far.

Just terrible.

I think I'll stay out of this thread until the game is actually out next week, too much guessing and speculation about the game's quality at the moment. If I had to guess, I predict it will be a fun game that won't live up to the greatness of Blood Money. And maybe that's okay.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

This is one of the most ridiculous sentences I've ever read on this forum. Congrats.

I'm wise enough to analysis the criticism that has come out of this game to know it's going to be a casual bore that resembles little of the games that came out before it. So yes, you're better off wearing the agent outfit in Sleeping Dogs and using your imagination then spending $60 on this turd.

No that's dumb. Even if there are only six proper Hitman missions and they're partially compromised by one dumb design choice or another, it'll still be the best Hitman game since Blood Money. Sad but true. And I'll take what Hitman I can get.

I think I'll stay out of this thread until the game is actually out next week, too much guessing and speculation about the game's quality at the moment. If I had to guess, I predict it will be a fun game that won't live up to the greatness of Blood Money. And maybe that's okay.
I think I'll join you. Especially now that people do nothing but try to analyse the game based on youtube videos. There's so much you can't see or try for yourself that all of this is pretty pointless.

jimi_dini

I fucking lol
when he threw the fire extinguisher

Hahahaha

Now I get it. They designed a Hitman parody.

Oh man, I guess I could just download all the footage and watch it later. This is so incredibly bad.

AI:
whaaat? A fire extinguisher? turns and 47 "sneaks" by

No that's dumb. Even if there are only six proper Hitman missions and they're partially compromised by one dumb design choice or another, it'll still be the best Hitman game since Blood Money. Sad but true. And I'll take what Hitman I can get.

How so? It looks like a pretty mediocre game by itself.
Really, I'm curious. Not trying to troll - would like to know what's good about it.

justjim89

I think the point of contention and what separates the mad from the hopeful is the willingness to forgive what were sure to be inevitable compromises in the name of modern game design and the desire for a larger audience. With as big a budget as games have these days, there really can't be niche titles that do just ok sales wise and fare better critically, like the older Hitman games. Games have to make money these days, and a lot of it. And when next gen comes around, it's only going to get worse.

DukeBobby

I hope Derrick posts again soon. At least he backs up his criticisms, and I can read his comments without wanting to bang my head against the wall.

I think the point of contention and what separates the mad from the hopeful is the willingness to forgive what were sure to be inevitable compromises in the name of modern game design and the desire for a larger audience. With as big a budget as games have these days, there really can't be niche titles that do just ok sales wise and fare better critically, like the older Hitman games. Games have to make money these days, and a lot of it. And when next gen comes around, it's only going to get worse.

Stop being reasonable. FIRE EXTINGUISHER.

RevDM

Banned
Hahahaha

Now I get it. They designed a Hitman parody.

Oh man, I guess I could just download all the footage and watch it later. This is so incredibly bad.

AI:
whaaat? A fire extinguisher? turns and 47 "sneaks" by

"Oh shit, not again!" lol what.. you're used to having
fire extinguishers thrown at you?

It looks pretty fun, still. At least to me. Apparently to a few others, too.

If you ask me, it doesn't. As I pointed out, the disguise system relying on a bar basically throws you back to the trial-and-error the series finally got past. Plus, dumb AI, linear levels (and literally linear, I mean) and dumb choices (QTEs everywhere) are making it look really, really dull.

I hope Derrick posts again soon. At least he backs up his criticisms, and I can read his comments without wanting to bang my head against the wall.

I never claimed my criticisms to be well-backed, but geez, man, a bit of consideration here.

MMaRsu

Banned

So let's just make games like all other games

Shit is getting fucking boring with the QTE's, and all generic bullshit found in games these days. Darksiders II was hell in this regard..go here and collect three of these..all the damn time.

Come up with some fun and smart gameplay, damn.

And why cant we criticize the game based on videos? Because you can tell so damn much already. The story is f'n stupid, the fact that they even tried annoys the shit out of me. Hitman didn't need a personal story, he already had one. He is an emotionless clone who works for an international Hit agency.

Socreges

Banned
That's part of it, but a bigger divide is the inferences people are drawing from limited information. If it's as bad as "the mad" say, I'll join their ranks instantly.

Top Bottom