• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

DrSlek

Just started the second level. I think what really sold this series to me is that I don't think there's any other game that makes replaying levels this much fun. There's something seriously rewarding when you get to know the level like the back of your hand and you move through it smoothly.

I'm trying to play this as if it was an episodic release. Not going from story mission to story mission. Didn't go to sapienza until I had like every opportunity and challenge done. Had to do Lights Out twice though. For some reason it didn't trigger the first time I did it.

Also on that note it's a crime that the game has opportunities set to full by default. Like I understand why it is but maaan.

Doing SOSA on Hokkaido in a Ninja outfit with no items was the highlight of the game for me.

bought because of the discount and i enjoyed the 2nd level for the most part but these enforcers are really sucking the fun out of these situations. almost as bad as the absolution system of people of the same disguise you're wearing noticing you. and they don't seem to be placed with any kind of logic that would make me think "yea i see why they guy's an enforcer." just randomly and in high density around POIs. that being said the sheer size and scope of this level and all of the potential kill possibilities that must beget is enough to keep me pressing one (whereas i dropped absolution at the train station).

Yeah, enforcer placement has more to do with closing off paths in the level than anything.

Fair warning, one area in Sapienza and one area in Marrakesh have the most annoying enforcer placement - where the level turns into a maze where some doors open and others close depending on what you're wearing. That's as bad as it gets, fortunately.

MUnited83

For you.
I think the enforcers are pretty balanced actually, and for the most part, they also make sense. I advise for people to be a bit more daring in their approach, you don't need to imeddiately hide in the presence of a enforcer. You'll find that they can be surprisingly lenient as long as you're not right in their faces.

Hopeford

Yeah, Sapienza is so big it feels almost overwhelming. Man, I'll take a while to get used to this level haha. I started trying to do a circle around the map to get a feel for the boundaries before working my way toward the objective. And then I kept going...and going...and going...holy shit this map is massive.

xuchu

Yeah, Sapienza is so big it feels almost overwhelming. Man, I'll take a while to get used to this level haha. I started trying to do a circle around the map to get a feel for the boundaries before working my way toward the objective. And then I kept going...and going...and going...holy shit this map is massive.

Best level in game!

JJShadow

I've been playing the Paris level during the weekend and I've had a real blast, it's so much fun replaying the mission over and over again just to find a new way to kill the target.

I finally got level 20 mastery in Paris as well and decided to move to Sapienza, and holy shit, this level is fucking huge! I'm loving it so far, it seems to be more tightly crafted and detailed than Paris. I just managed to kill both targets and now I'm heading into the
underground lab, which could make for a level itself taking into account how big it is :O

This game man, THIS GAME

Finally got this on the sale, and i'm so in love. Absolution definetly made me sad with the direction it took compared to the older ones, and i was happy to hear this one was true to the series origins. One thing though, how does the game fare with no hud like the old ones? I feel like i've been relying too hard on indicators, the minimap and looking through walls. I'm considering trying to do make some middleground where i remove the map and only use the wall vision as a form of "focus" as they explain. Then again, maybe minimap makes more sense? Or maybe i should just do it old school. However i can't find a way to look at a menu map either. Think im gonna turn off just about every indicator outside of seeing those who can spot you through disguises.

Javier23

Banned
Finally got this on the sale, and i'm so in love. Absolution definetly made me sad with the direction it took compared to the older ones, and i was happy to hear this one was true to the series origins. One thing though, how does the game fare with no hud like the old ones? I feel like i've been relying too hard on indicators, the minimap and looking through walls. I'm considering trying to do make some middleground where i remove the map and only use the wall vision as a form of "focus" as they explain. Then again, maybe minimap makes more sense? Or maybe i should just do it old school. However i can't find a way to look at a menu map either. Think im gonna turn off just about every indicator outside of seeing those who can spot you through disguises.
I mean, the only real difference between the minimap and old-school Hitman is that back then you had to keep pressing M. The menu map of this game is a lot more awkward. Detective/witcher/hitman vision, however it's called in this game (¿instinct?) allows you to see where the target is too, which you could also do in the old school Hitman games via the map.

Call me crazy but I'd say mini-map+Instinct vision as a trade off for how awkward it is to check the map in this game vs the instant map view of the originals is actually the closest you can get to old school Hitman, unless you used to play those in the highest of difficulties, in which case you should disable those and abstain from ever saving the game and restarting upon dying.

The one really important thing you gotta do to go old school is completely disable Opportunities.

I mean, the only real difference between the minimap and old-school Hitman is that back then you had to keep pressing M. The menu map of this game is a lot more awkward. Detective/witcher/hitman vision, however it's called in this game (¿instinct?) allows you to see where the target is too, which you could also do in the old school Hitman games via the map.

Call me crazy but I'd say mini-map+Instinct vision as a trade off for how awkward it is to check the map in this game vs the instant map view of the originals is actually the closest you can get to old school Hitman, unless you used to play those in the highest of difficulties, in which case you should disable those and abstain from ever saving the game and restarting upon dying.

The one really important thing you gotta do to go old school is completely disable Opportunities.

Ah yeah, fair point really. I'll turn opportunities off entirely. Had it on minimum but i felt that i kinda reactionary started following it and it felt so guided, which is kinda the anti-Hitman formula haha.

Jintor

i had a couple of weird thoughts about the Sims and Hitman and I don't quite know how to articulate it yet

something to do with architecture

ron_bato

So how do you guys go about replaying levels? Do you use the track opportunities function? Because it kind of feels like handholding when i use it. But, if i dont use the track opportunities function i feel like im just running around the level not sure how to go about doing things.

What do you guys recommend?

Jintor

turn that off yo

you can figure pretty much everything out based on audio prompts and just by observing the level. it's way more fun too imho.

Javier23

Banned
So how do you guys go about replaying levels? Do you use the track opportunities function? Because it kind of feels like handholding when i use it. But, if i dont use the track opportunities function i feel like im just running around the level not sure how to go about doing things.

Disable it completely. Just by being attentive and walking around you'll stumble on something really obvious. Rinse and repeat and you'll keep finding fun stuff. It's way more fun.

You can always enable them again if you're feeling completionist and for the life of you can't figure out the ones you are still missing.

BigAT

I think turning it to Minimal is the way to go early on. It's a good compromise in that it presents opportunities to you, but doesn't hold your hand telling you how to do them.

Once you get really comfortable you can think about turning them off completely, but I wouldn't recommend it right away.

Javier23

Banned
I think turning it to Minimal is the way to go early on. It's a good compromise in that it presents opportunities to you, but doesn't hold your hand telling you how to do them.

Once you get really comfortable you can think about turning them off completely, but I wouldn't recommend it right away.
I would. They suck the fun out of it all by guiding you through an open freeform assasination sandbox. It may make some harder than others but I guarantee you will figure something out on your own that works. It's much more satisfying the first way around.

MUnited83

For you.
i had a couple of weird thoughts about the Sims and Hitman and I don't quite know how to articulate it yet

something to do with architecture

8O3nZRm.jpg

e7OJTPv.jpg

oQwxruO.jpg

ron_bato

turn that off yo

you can figure pretty much everything out based on audio prompts and just by observing the level. it's way more fun too imho.

Disable it completely. Just by being attentive and walking around you'll stumble on something really obvious. Rinse and repeat and you'll keep finding fun stuff. It's way more fun.

You can always enable them again if you're feeling completionist and for the life of you can't figure out the ones you are still missing.

Thanks everyone, all great advice!

Yeah, i tried the first opportunity with the waupoints in Paris and it was all too straightforward.

I discovered one opportunity randomly and didnt use the target function and gave myself time to figure it out. Felt good to piece it altogether. Though some of the more creative ones look pretty challenging, I'm definitely up for it.

Hopeford

So I was showing this game to a friend and I was replaying Paris since I know that level like the back of my hand now. I was just outside Dalia's office, hanging off of it, when a guy somehow saw me and came to investigate. I had to throw him off because, well, c'mon. But I figured that would ruin the Lights Opportunity, since the corpse would fall on the runway yeah?

Well.

It did not, because...I was slightly lucky.

God this games systems are annoyingly fucking obtuse sometimes. I wouldn't mind, but if this game is gonna be so heavy handed with its trial and error could it at least make navigating back and fourth between loading screens faster? Hell just shortcut me a fucking revert to save button.

jtb

Banned
Does Suit-only SA runs just require crazy amounts of cheesing (i.e. running through levels throwing hammers left and right before they can alert anyone) or are there "legit" paths built in within these levels?

Paris, in particular, seems really easy to get rid of Dalia but impossible to get anywhere near Novikov with just your suit.

Does Suit-only SA runs just require crazy amounts of cheesing (i.e. running through levels throwing hammers left and right before they can alert anyone) or are there "legit" paths built in within these levels?

Paris, in particular, seems really easy to get rid of Dalia but impossible to get anywhere near Novikov with just your suit.

Paris has the ultimate built-in suit-only solution.

Push one target onto the other.

In fact there are built-in options for most levels - Bangkok is an exception and generally considered the hardest.

Euphony

Banned

I did SASO runs for every level and I thought that there were decent routes that didn't need cheesing for most levels. It's been awhile since I've done them but the ones that I remember being really annoying were Colorado and Bangkok. Dalia is definitely the easier target in Paris as it's difficult to find an opportunity to get Novikov's bodyguard distracted.

jtb

Banned
Paris has the ultimate built-in suit-only solution.

Push one target onto the other.

In fact there are built-in options for most levels - Bangkok is an exception and generally considered the hardest.

I tried that. But it didn't count? Maybe I got noticed along the way to the remote, but I could've sworn it was like "Body found" even though it was an accident kill.

I'll have to try that again.

jtb

Banned
Also, suit only is super fun on Hokkaido (which I feel is the most "constructed" of the levels after Paris - which has it's advantages and disadvantages).
Ninja too

Fucking Hokkaido aka don't sneeze or everyone will start freaking out. I spend more time staring at the radar then anything else. Its way too restricting.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
So I think I cheesed the latest elusive but I'm fine with it. Got away clean so I can't cry too much. I just ended up finding an easy way to murder one of them and restarted until I got the notice that it was the right one.

Hokkaido is probably my least played level so I wasn't well versed in how to find the files and didn't want to wait the 15min. Much faster this way. Wasn't a SA, but that was cause of my failure to execute rather than impatience. Still was a really cool twist for an Elusive.

Do these guards ever give up after a hearing a sniper shot? I was trying to kill all 4 targets in Colorado from the water tower (and succeeded) but I couldn't get down because there were at least 10 guards surrounding the ladder telling me to stop hiding. After 5 minutes I just re-planned the mission.

Never played a Hitman before -- always thought Agent 47 was a super lame character -- and since I purchased the game on Sunday (thanks PSN sale!) I have been up late and waking up early to play this game.

Catching up on the storied history of the game series and its developers. Bums me out that this game is not selling more, but haven't been more satisfied with a game in a long time.

I guess I like the stealth genre!

Just finished the last mission. Great game. Its on sale for about £15 which is well worth it. I was put off by the always online bollocks but if you have a stable internet connection it doesnt interfere. Will probably go for another play through of each mission.

Anyone else notice that the elusive target briefing videos have been added back into the game?

At the beginning you could watch all of them, but then briefing videos for all past targets were removed. Now... they're all back again.

CloudWolf

I completely fucked up the last ET, but still got away. Started off with accidentally garotting a guard, ended my run by shooting a bunch of witnesses in the head and running towards the exit. One hell of a way to end the ET's.

I already had the Winter Suit and the other unlocks, so I was just going with the flow.

jtb

Banned
Is it possible to kill Francesca with the
cannon
on Sapienza without any non-targets being killed also? I already knocked out the
PI
but it seems I always get one of the guys standing behind her to die also?

I guess it would be too easy to kill both of them using it for Suit only SA.

Is it possible to kill Francesca with the
cannon
on Sapienza without any non-targets being killed also? I already knocked out the
PI
but it seems I always get one of the guys standing behind her to die also?

I guess it would be too easy to kill both of them using it for Suit only SA.

It's doable. You just have to learn the timing.

Unless it got changed at some point last year, I dunno. Some opportunities in the game are definitely deliberately not clean unless you do extra work.

Tailzo

I have heard people being excited for Hitman games for years. I have heard the Giant Bombcast rave about this game for months after months.

I never listened. I always thought that this game is not for me. I do not like most shooters, I am horrible in all Metal Gear games and I tend to mostly play srpgs, jrpgs and other japanese games.

Then this game got a big demo.

I really, really enjoyed it! So I bought the game for ps4, and I can't wait to get home to play more!

BlondeTuna

This game is so good. Love replaying it over and over to try new things, explore the environments etc. Still on Paris working towards that mastery.

I'm conflicted on the challenges; I like that I have the ability to review them and understand the different possibilities within each environment, but I also feel like they spoil everything. I could just ignore them and not look, but I'm too damn curious.

Parsnip

This game is so good. Love replaying it over and over to try new things, explore the environments etc. Still on Paris working towards that mastery.

I'm conflicted on the challenges; I like that I have the ability to review them and understand the different possibilities within each environment, but I also feel like they spoil everything. I could just ignore them and not look, but I'm too damn curious.

The more you play, the more you will get in sync with the devs and you'll probably end up trying some of the challenges in the later levels without specifically knowing about them.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
You know what would be crazy?

If the final one would've been another agent out to kill you and you don't know who they are.

xuchu

You know what would be crazy?

If the final one would've been another agent out to kill you and you don't know who they are.

Shades of Mark Parchezzi III.

Thought that was what the Hokkaido one was gonna be when we didn't know the face but facial reconstruction surgery makes sense too.

Top Bottom