• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

PreFire

I can't even use shit I unlocked like special weapons, in offline mode. Wtf lol

Nothing you do offline saves to your profile. Any unlocks or accomplishments are for nothing.

Foffy

Banned
I can't even use shit I unlocked like special weapons, in offline mode. Wtf lol

Nothing you do offline saves to your profile. Any unlocks or accomplishments are for nothing.

This is why the game is somewhat shitty. It's either bugs that make the game clunky as hell, or the whole lolonline stuff.

We're in June and this shit still happens...

Jintor

i know they're probably trying to do it on the cheap but god damn

marakesh with americans trying to sell you lamps and trying to incite a riot just feels wrong

Really wish they didn't use the same 5 voice actors for every level.

After I blew up a thrown propane tank a street vendor next to me yelled "Jesus H Christ!"

In Marrakesh.

Completed about half the challenges in 3 run throughs so far, so glad they changed challenges to complete and save instead of having to complete the level, it woulda taken forever if it was still that way.

I'd recommend doing all the opportunities first, one by one, can get em all done in 2-3 completions and since there isn't any way to track which ones you have done and which ones you haven't, its imo best to get that out of the way first.

Fun level but yeah I'd agree that Paris and Sapienza were better, but it also just might be hitman fatigue at this point. Gonna take a week or two break I think before I finish off the challenges, and some of them seem to have that sad bug again where they get turned on/off randomly - at least for the Headmaster one, for me, so far.

I finished my first run after 1 hour and 30 minutes. So strange how, after Sapienza, it feels like I've already seen every part of the map.

I think overall even though there's about as much to do per se in Sapienza as Marrakesh, Marrakesh feels more barren for the following reasons:

1. Far fewer distinct items. There's all this stuff in the market and consulate, but almost none of it matters for the mission. The objects you can pick up are exactly the same as in previous missions. The objects you can interact with also lack local color - mostly just generic machines and electrical devices again. Nothing unique like the compost machine and the acid boxes.

2. The vast majority of interactive stuff is food and drink to poison. There must be, what, fifty of these? And after the snails, dried bananas, and tea leaves they even just stop labeling these altogether.

3. Fewer unique NPCs. These have been the highlights of previous stages. Here I think there's only the
masseur
, the
headmaster
, and the
snake charmer
? And as far as I can tell, only one of them even has any lines.

4. Smaller map, period. When I finally looked at the map I was surprised it all fit on the screen. And this level introduces the first roadblocks (literal roadblocks) that feel arbitrary and "video-game"-like.

5. Conventional level design. Villa Caruso was really a genius piece of design in that it was a distinctive space from every angle. The consulate and the school can't even be viewed from the sides or back - they're both very frontal-approach kind of buildings. And then, the
underground passages
are almost sterile in their layout.

But there are a number of good things too.

1. Foreign atmosphere. There was definitely a labor of love in filling the level with exotic setpieces. The rooftops are some of the best parts of the level, in that they are all distinct spaces that feel lived-in. Don't forget to check out the graffiti and art on the walls.

2. The school is a very organic, unique area that feels different from any other level so far. When the
prisoner
was introduced, I distinctly had flashbacks to MGS and its themes of brutality. There are even gunshots ringing out in the background, plus intriguing secrets like the
general's private room
. It definitely serves a greater storytelling function than the consulate.

3. An increase in planning required. I hope Jintor is happy, because after three hours of searching I found only two rat poisons in the entire level to cover those fifty poisonable items (and not a single one in the consulate, when I actually needed one). Suddenly you have to plan ahead to know where to get the right item at the right time. Plus, body-hiding containers are now scarcer and in very particular places, and you can't just knock out a string of random people on the fly.

4. Dispensing with the more conventional obstacles from previous levels. Frisking is out. Sneaking around patrolling guards is basically pointless. No more locked doors everywhere like in Sapienza, and barely any cameras to speak of! It's definitely smart level design to not just pile these on until the final episode.

5. The different locations are actually tied to each other in interesting ways. You can get
a remote mine
from the school to
place in the camera
in the consulate. You can
get food
from the cafe to
deliver to
the school. And I haven't even begun to figure out how to
open the two safes in the consulate and school
. Imagine if later levels let you set up something in one building and go to another one to trigger them and watch the fireworks.

6. More ridiculous background conversations for no reason whatsoever (check out the Oscar Wilde dialogue in the cafe).

So those are my impressions. There is some subtle progression in the level design that could really pay off down the line.

Jintor

Honestly, I really like the embassy. I've only seen two floors of it and didn't bother with the garage just yet because I didn't know a disguise that would let me down there without getting shot, but it's a nice, modern-feeling space that still has a lot of rooms to muck around in.

Pretty weird how you don't get frisked coming and going into it though.

Bebpo

Banned
Liked the new map. Seems like you get two bases with an open area in between instead of one big base (Paris) and one medium base and an open area around is (sapienza). I can see the embassy target being the more challenging one to hide the body. I did massage of death and there was nowhere to put the body as far as I could tell.

Still want a lot more escalations for Sapienza and obviously some more for this. Paris has 12 right now and Sapienza still only 5 despite being a much bigger map. I jumped into this game a little after Sapienza came out so it was about the same minus 3 or 4 escalations. When did they add the bulk of the Paris escalations into the game assuming Paris started with barely any? 12 is a good number, I'd like that many in Sapienza and Marrakesh within the next month or two.

Bebpo

Banned
Also couldn't figure out how to get the NPC names to display in instinct mode? Options say it's on, but instinct just looks normal to me?

Well the servers being down soured my late night run sesh, so I guess it will have to wait till tomorrow. Still a lot to discover about Marrakech.

Jeffrey

I found only two rat poisons in the entire level to cover those fifty poisonable items (and not a single one in the consulate, when I actually needed one)

where did you find a rat poison in the consulate? Trying to do the
Massoose
one and used my other rat poison earlier at the school.

How I did it over the course of an hour or so. Not quiet, lots of noise, lots of collateral damage.

First guy during a massage after being an intern, security, a soldier, and a janitor at some random points.

For the General, snuck in w/ the elite soldier outfit, walked around, nobody bothered me, target was walking up the stairs so I grabbed him, snapped his neck, then just ran for the exit.

Not exciting. But, fine. Anticlimactic, I guess. I ran past 20 guards on the way out after just essentially passing the guy in the hallway and taking him out there. Just wanted to get one run done.

I did have a crash on PC entering the school area which manifested twice. Once with sneaking in w/ a group and again when I just entered under cover. I went in using a different entrance and didn't have a crash.

Jintor

getting the print crew uniform was tense as fuck. that fucker didn't go anywhere private really. but he does stop for a quick siggie right in front of a bin in a little nook in the bazaar, so I had like a 5 second window to knock him in there and steal his clothes

getting the print crew uniform was tense as fuck. that fucker didn't go anywhere private really. but he does stop for a quick siggie right in front of a bin in a little nook in the bazaar, so I had like a 5 second window to knock him in there and steal his clothes

You need to
poison the tea leaves bin that he passes by. Yes, tea leaves.

And, yes, I did that
as a waiter
. This disguise is hilariously overpowered by this point.

Also, I finally
opened a safe
. Amazingly the
breaching charges
worked as expected - glad I don't have to unlock the
C4
, but this all came together just as I
found the combination
at the same time.

By the way, my runs so far:

First run:
Steal the keycard, soldier disguise, and school master key from various rooftops. Enter consulate as security. Distract the guard at the back stairs and knock out the other guard at the top of the stairs. Steal the car key. Distract the guard at the railing using the vacuum cleaner and push the banker over the side. Take the back stairs guard's disguise and get to the school through the tunnel. Use the intercom to get the general in place for the toilet drop. Escape through parking garage.

Second run:
Poison the print crew guy as mentioned above. Get into the school with the print crew, steal the army truck key, and then pose as the prisoner to kill the general. Get to the consulate through the tunnel. Kill the banker by electrifying the same railing I pushed him over last time. Escape with the army truck.

Interesting that there are only two exits by default. Also, I noticed that the timing on some of these opportunities are much more tense - you will blow your cover if you wait too long.

Also, the "no bodies found" bug seems to be still in full effect. Second run I knocked out a guy, he got found, and yet I lost no points or rank for it.

Bebpo

Banned
Ah, I see the NPC info stuff is just for the red targets. That's pretty nice in custom contracts. Also not having to worry about the accidentally killing someone bug is so good.

Not sure what outfit I'm missing in Sapienza. I finally grabbed the cyclist & the street performer and I thought they were the last two. Been a chef/chef assistant, bodyguard in black and wife beater, scientist, hazmat, priest, church helper guy, plumber, detective, flower guy, golf coach, house keeper, gardener, bohemian. Hmmm, wonder what I'm missing.

The waiter disguise really shouldn't work for poisoning water bottles.

Well, to be fair the other way, turning on/off random non-important shit like radios shouldn't make people in public areas want to arrest and shoot you to death. I think it's kind of ridiculous how every action raises suspicion when some actions are totally harmless and no one would care.

Interesting that there are only two exits by default.

Yeah, I'm a little disappointed by this. Already wished Sapienza had maybe one more exit just for the fun of it, but with only 2 exists in Marrakesh you always have to trek back to the town center which I guess adds challenge, but if you're not found out by then it's no big deal walking through the crowd, just a waste of time.

Not sure what outfit I'm missing in Sapienza. I finally grabbed the cyclist & the street performer and I thought they were the last two. Been a chef/chef assistant, bodyguard in black and wife beater, scientist, hazmat, priest, church helper guy, plumber, detective, flower guy, golf coach, house keeper, gardener, bohemian. Hmmm, wonder what I'm missing.

Be both plumbers, and the stylist.

Yeah, I'm a little disappointed by this. Already wished Sapienza had maybe one more exit just for the fun of it, but with only 2 exists in Marrakesh you always have to trek back to the town center which I guess adds challenge, but if you're not found out by then it's no big deal walking through the crowd, just a waste of time.

There are
two more exits with specific requirements.

Cool about the additional exits. That's good.

There's a stylist somewhere in Sapienza? The two plumbers are the one under the mansion and the by the church right?

Stylist outfit can be found in the Sanguine store. You have to pick the lock to get in.

No, that's a
mansion guard disguise

The stylist is in, well, the
hair salon

Yes, those are the plumbers.

You can get both in the Sanguine store. Mansion disguise in the changing rooms, stylist is in the corridor that leads to the bakery above it.

But yes, the actual Stylist NPC is in the hair salon.

You can get both in the Sanguine store. Mansion disguise in the changing rooms, stylist is in the corridor that leads to the bakery above it.

But yes, the actual Stylist NPC is in the hair salon.

Yep, I still keep missing this stuff. Clearly I should play more Sapienza contracts.

Like... Why would that even be there? (Other than flavor.)

Moff

Also couldn't figure out how to get the NPC names to display in instinct mode? Options say it's on, but instinct just looks normal to me?

I think it's only in contracts mode after you tagged a target, at least that's where I saw it

Bebpo

Banned
Got the stylist in Sapienza and was still missing one. Guessed it was the Butler and it was. Got him but died doing it and still got the challenge haha. I'm guessing the easiest (only?) way to take out the mansion butler in that stage is to dress as the psychiatrist and be led to Slyvio's room with the butler and take him out there?

Actually found another way :p If you do the flower delivery, when the butler leads you to the grave there's a few blind spots to take him out.

It's jarring that you're going to all these different places across the world and none of the NPCs have a regional accent.
Even bad regional accents would be vastly preferable to American accents on non-American characters

One of the main talking points with the episodic release schedule was that they could now react to feedback prior to each release. Well there's your feedback IO, regional accents please!

Jintor

I noticed two new opportunities this time around. Only broke silent assassin because the general unexpectedly came around a corner before I could react :(

Damn you guys! I'm noticing the American accents now, and a distinct lack of Arabs - Marrakesh must be very popular with US tourists ;)

I'm enjoying this level far more than the last two. The crowed have added an extra element of challenge. Really got to think about how, where, who, what, and when to subdue for your disguises.

Then again this is the first I've gone straight into the main mission with most of the HUD features turned off. It's a smaller level than the last two, but I actually think that's a very good thing. My only complaint would be the same as before - only 1 story mission.

Right now I'd say Marrakesh > Paris > Sapienza. Though that opinion might change once I've experienced a few Marrakesh escalations.

No real attempts yet at the assassinations. Been playing for around 2 hours, but just exploring and discovering opportunities.

Found a great sniping position for the embassy - need a better sniper rifle thought. Was one with zoom available in Sapienza? If so I might need to go back and unlock it.

Getting into the ground floor of the embassy is pretty easy, as is getting in to the school. What I'm finding challenging so far is finding the right opportunities to silently get the disguises I need (or find an alternate opportunity). Though i did find a backdoor into the embassy, just not the key card to use it...

God knows how you'd do this one suite only.

tchocky

Right now I'd say Marrakesh > Paris > Sapienza. Though that opinion might change once I've experienced a few Marrakesh escalations.

Found a great sniping position for the embassy - need a better sniper rifle thought. Was one with zoom available in Sapienza? If so I might need to go back and unlock it.

My ranking of the levels are the reverse order of yours but I have only finished Marrakesh once so I may enjoy it more after more playthroughs.

You can unlock a sniper rifle with a zoom in Sapienza but it has no silencer.

You can unlock a sniper rifle with a zoom in Sapienza but it has no silencer.

Mmm, one shot kill, not necessarily a problem. I'll think about it. I want to infiltrate the embassy again and have another look round first, see what the upstairs area looks like.

Foffy

Banned
Is it just my memory, or is this the first episode where you do not complete a Challenge by fibre wiring both targets?

Also, add me to the disappointed lineup. I feel that this is very much like the Middle Eastern locations from Silent Assassin, in that there's a unique visual vibe, but that doesn't hide the fact the area is 'barren', at least outside of the two main target locations. I also feel this area is going to suffer greatly for Elusive Targets, for the previous areas complimented themselves with "side stories" that one can use to build up the area, especially The Forger. Here though, the whole location and its goings on are entirely inspired by the targets, leaving very little wiggle room. And I can already see the problem where following an ET will be an irritating task, be it the crowd or the fact this area largely seems designed for where the targets reside.

I wonder if they will ever release an elusive the same exact time as a new map. That would be kind of tense. I've felt fairly comfortable with the first 2 elusives only because at that point I already knew the map and everyone's movements like the back of my hand.

So far I'm not hating Marrakesh but I think I like Sapienza and Paris mush better, in that order.

Jintor

Oof. The disguises that work really kinda suck. In the embassy, the security guard disguise is so transparent as to be almost completely worthless. In the school, there's enough Elite Guards that can see through the elite guard set that your movement still feels really restricted... and I have no idea what the point of a bunch of the other ones are besides some one-off zones, like the shopkeep and the maintenance disguise.

Ludens

Banned
I'm having another problem: I completed Into the Rabbit's hole or whatever is called opportunity four times, but it always shows as locked. I also reloaded the save five times and cleared the mission as last attempt, but I did four separate plays and that opportunity stays locked, despite the game told me I completed it (with locked I mean no description in the menu).
Now in the last attempt, even if I didn't kill anyone nor triggered an alarm, both targets stay immobile, one near two soldiers, the other in the school, waiting for dunno what.

Jeffrey

Really wish there was more rat poison around for this level. All ive found was 1 nonlethal one, and 1 lethal one... which is pretty useless, unless there is a target that drinks/eats?

Moff

Really wish there was more rat poison around for this level. All ive found was 1 nonlethal one, and 1 lethal one... which is pretty useless, unless there is a target that drinks/eats?

all poison except rat poison is useless
and yes, there are only few, which I honestly welcome because past levels were so full of them and made it a bit too easy

plus: you can unlock sickness poison now and start with one

Jeffrey

all poison except rat poison is useless
and yes, there are only few, which I honestly welcome because past levels were so full of them and made it a bit too easy

plus: you can unlock sickness poison now and start with one

hmmm there were more in the past, but I don't recall as many targets/useful outfits that go around eating stuff outside of the main target in paris.

Top Bottom