• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Holiday BOMBA: Playstation AllStars Charts 38th Week 1 UK

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well it's a significant game that Sony seem to be pushing.

Notice that no thread was made for Fable: The Journey for example, even though that game bombed both critically and commercially because no-one cares about it. Was there even an OT for that game or did everyone pretend it didn't exist?

Nope, no OT, and the demo thread didn't even make it to 50 posts before dying off.

I cannot recall a single person in history ever saying anything along the lines of "Gosh, you know what I want on the Playstation? A smash bros clone!"

This doesn't surprise me.

That said, is the UK market still that relevant/indicative (if we subtract the "big ones" like FIFA) ?

Lots of shitty sales sure.
But this line of reasoning ignores all the games above All Stars.
You know like that derided Playstation Platform Handheld game Declassified.

The UK markets skews/issues don't really explain how Sony's apparently major holiday release came 38th in sales. The fact that everything is struggling to sell just tells you how poorly it did.

rockx4

Sony gave me little reason to buy it by putting Gravity Rush\Uncharted\Wipeout free on PSN+. Those will keep me busy as I wait for my cheap black friday games to deliver.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I cannot recall a single person in history ever saying anything along the lines of "Gosh, you know what I want on the Playstation? A smash bros clone!"

This doesn't surprise me.

I think that existed.
But what didn't exist? 'And I want Radec, Sweet Tooth, Fat Princess, Not Dante, Raiden, that kid from Ape Escape' etc in it. And to be fair, I like some of those characters, and I think the gameplay's pretty fun, but holy shit did they blow it on the getting big characters to pad out the smaller ones in this.

Honestly, the game's roster feels like free advertising for the publishers(Capcom, Konami) rather than celebrating Sony's mascots and third party franchises. I'm surprised when I finish a match as Raiden or Dante it doesn't say 'DMC/MGR in stores <insert date here>'

Xater

I think that existed.
But what didn't exist? 'And I want Radec, Sweet Tooth, Fat Princess, Not Dante, Raiden, that kid from Ape Escape' etc in it. And to be fair, I like some of those characters, and I think the gameplay's pretty fun, but holy shit did they blow it on the getting big characters to pad out the smaller ones in this.

Honestly, the game's roster feels like free advertising for the publishers(Capcom, Konami) rather than celebrating Sony's mascots and third party franchises. I'm surprised when I finish a match as Raiden or Dante it doesn't say 'DMC/MGR in stores <insert date here>'

I don't think there is anything wrong with including these characters.

MYE

I had a feeling this was gonna happen. The ads, the vibe of the presentation and feel of the game... it was just so...bland.
Its (supposedly) a larger than life mascot mash-up extravaganza like Smash Bros, but with absolutely no pomp and ceremony.

The character selction being pretty awful didnt help either

Corto

Nothing unexpected. The exposure we have here on GAF to this game is absurd considering what the real world interest in it should be. The whole "Sony copying Nintendo again" and the Paul Gale debacle artificially increased its relevance in terms of threads and posts by thread. The game should be fun and I intend to buy it for my Vita/PS3 but it was always meant to be nothing more than fan service to Sony fans and not a mainstream game with mass market appeal. Sony totally conceded this holiday.

MormaPope

Banned
Sony needed to make a Smash game back in 2005 for the PS2. When they still had exclusives and relevant icons.

Here's who could've been in a 2005 Sony Smash game:

Jak
Daxter
Big Boss
The Boss
Raiden
Auron
Tidus
Sora
Sly Cooper
Solid Snake
Solidus Snake
Volgin
The Wanderer
Ico
Rachet
Clank
Dante
Kratos
Ares

Some of these are in Sony Smash 2012, but Sony use to have a lot more mascots/exclusive characters that were much more usable in a Smash game in 2005 compared to Sony of 2012.

UK sales, with the exception of racing, soccer, and Sonic sales, are usually pretty indicative of US sales trends. It's also the first or second biggest PAL market.

There hasn't been a good market report in a while (since around 2010 when Canada's industry overtook the UK in terms of jobs), I suspect this isn't true anymore.

Seemed reasonably significant seeing as Sony seemed to be gearing up for this to be a flagship title this holiday:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-26-uk-chart-cod-black-ops-2-holds-off-hitman-absolution

It was out sold by games such as Mario Kart 7; BLOPS Declassified; Angry Birds and 007 Legends amongst many.

It failed to chart for individual formats.

UK -> world!

But I can see why this thread has been made.....
Let's wait a few months and see how the ww numbers are going to be.

MYE

Nothing unexpected. The exposure we have here on GAF to this game is absurd considering what the real world interest in it should be. The whole "Sony copying Nintendo again" and the Paul Gale debacle artificially increased its relevance in terms of threads and posts by thread. The game should be fun and I intend to buy it for my Vita/PS3 but it was always meant to be nothing more than fan service to Sony fans and not a mainstream game with mass market appeal. Sony totally conceded this holiday.

Didnt sony open up a new studio and recruted a bunch of people just to work on this?

sphinx

the piano man
here in Germany the game came out with little or no advertising, the Vita bundles look very nice actually and I think it's rather inviting, I like the game cover

web01

I hate to be that guy but if it really did bomb its well deserved. And its got nothing to do with the stupid rip off arguments you all bitch and moan about.

The game is simply not fun or friendly enough for casuals and non gamers. The kill system completely ruins the game, they should have just made it a building percentage bar like smash bros with rings outs and not super move kills that can easily fail.

Trying to please the fighting community was a terrible decision. When casual and the average serious gamer do not find it fun you have a problem. A small minority praised it during the beta but there was tons of feedback they could have taken on to make the game fun.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
That's really quite sad, tbh I thought it would chart better than that, Sony really are losing it with some of their decisions these days, LBK for example was sent to die, it was obvious to us, but not to Sony, hell I thought it was a Vita game until recently.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
After this holiday, it does have me rethinking my 'no way Sony lets Nintendo and MS have Holiday 2013 to themself'. Because they probably will.

Conor 419

Banned
I think Sony should have recognised that they do not have the icons capable of driving a game like this. Thank god Microsoft acknowledged that the Master Chief, Clippy and Microsoft Sam would not have been enough to drive their own fighting game.

Didnt sony open up a new studio and recruted a bunch of people just to work on this?

Yup. The fan service thing is something people have been saying for a while.
I've always found it to be that odd 'Sony loves us all' mentality you see at E3 every year.

Sony wanted this to be a commercial success.
If they didn't they wouldn't be releasing it this time of year first of all; and they wouldn't be making at all.
Their a business.

I mean I don't think Sony fully understand their audience, who they are or have the ability to cut between 'FANS'/'fans' and 'customers'; so maybe it was 'fan service' but it is designed to be profitable 'fan service'.

Takao

Banned
I didn't even realize that it debuted worse that Sonic Racing. That's an even greater accomplishment that a game with series that sell a lot more than the ones found in Sonic Racing did worse.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think Sony should have recognised that they do not have the icons capable of driving a game like this. Thank god Microsoft acknowledged that the Master Chief, Clippy and Microsoft Sam would not have been enough to drive their own fighting game.

Clippy has more name value than half of the All Star roster.

Xater

After this holiday, it does have me rethinking my 'no way Sony lets Nintendo and MS have Holiday 2013 to themself'. Because they probably will.

We will see this E3, but I feel like you might be right. At least their console is not out by then.

I also think it's tragic that The Last of Us was not ready for this holiday.

Clippy has more name value than half of the All Star roster.

Now you are getting fucking ridiculous.

MormaPope

Banned

If Microsoft ever does make a Smash game, it would be incredibly smart to just have a huge 3rd party lineup for characters. Even though Microsoft can scrape the barrel and actually get a decent amount of characters lined up, no one wants to play as 2008 Banjo or Kameo or any other lost 1st party mascot.

SkylineRKR

Doesn't surprise me. I see ads for CoD, AC, Hitman.. even MoH. But nothing at all for a game like this. Its out since last week, but I didn't even know. Game didn't make top 10 in Holland either.

Its typical Sony fare, and although I can't speak for the quality of this game I'm kind of tired of their exclusives as well. I used to buy them all but stopped caring about a year ago. LBP Kart, Killzone 3, Socom 4, TM... they are mostly forgettable to me. I could be wrong but Wonderbook seemed to be sent out to die after all as well?

Not surprising, the roster just screamed half-assed.

Also not surprising that some diehard Sony fans are choosing to cast the blame for this monumental dropped ball on the consumers/the United Kingdom/anyone but Sony. Still sad though.

I didn't even realize that it debuted worse that Sonic Racing. That's an even greater accomplishment that a game with series that sell a lot more than the ones found in Sonic Racing did worse.

Sega Land.

Karting is more popular anyway and Sonic lends itself to that audience more; the truth is that whilst fitting their individual franchises - Sony characters are a macabre bunch.

Them all together is hardly an attractive or interesting proposition.

Heck, I didn't even know the thing had released.

Sony

Sony should have put Dante and Raiden front and center on this game. I don't know who that commercial with the guy dressed as Fat Princess is supposed to sell the game to, it's like if MS made a fighter and put IloMilo front and center over Sam Fisher.

Oh common just give it some time a game like that requires aaaa

Hmmm umm eh, (scratches head and leave thread quietly.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Sony should have put Dante and Raiden front and center on this game. I don't know who that commercial with the guy dressed as Fat Princess is supposed to sell the game to, it's like if MS made a fighter and put IloMilo front and center over Sam Fisher.

No one would have recognized Raiden or Dante either.

Conor 419

Banned
If Microsoft ever does make a Smash game, it would be incredibly smart to just have a huge 3rd party lineup for characters. Even though Microsoft can scrape the barrel and actually get a decent amount of characters lined up, no one wants to play as 2008 Banjo or Kameo or any other lost 1st party mascot.

There's heavy rumors already that Nintendo have already secured a large number of third party characters for their next fighting game, including.

Namco Bandai - Lloyd Irving
Capcom - Chris Redfield, Ryu
Sega - Bayonetta, Sonic
Konami - Solid Snake, Eva
Ubisoft - Altair, The Prince
Activision - Tony Hawk

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I used to buy them all but stopped caring about a year ago. LBP Kart, Killzone 3, Socom 4, TM... they are mostly forgettable to me.

This is true for me also, It feels like they are stuck in a rut and I'm not sure what they can do to get out of it tbh, it seems so hard to create a new successful IP these days, and they can't afford to maintain these studios in their current condition.

MormaPope

Banned
I remember reading through Sony All Star threads and for some reason I have no clue whose actually in the game anymore. I know Radec and Raiden are in it, and the purple stalagmite. But I keep thinking Resistance characters or Nathan Drake are in it but they aren't.

Sweet-tooth is another one I remember. Sly Cooper?

Top Bottom