• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeworld Remastered |OT| All of this has happened before and will happen again

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i still get fucking chills from that first cutscene

lawd
, this game

end me, relic (and gearbox a bit)

Heads up: I was having visual glitches where it appeared the depth buffer wasn't working - objects weren't sorted properly, things were transparent, etc.

It was MSI Afterburner (probably the overlay). Turning that off fixed it.

CMDBob

Mmm, this is so good. Been waiting too damned long.

(Personally, can't wait for the full modding tools so I can make some mods!)

Question for one of you more PC savy GAF than I. I loved the original Homeworld, and I really, really want to pick this one up. However, on CanIRunIt it says my computer doesn't meet the minimum or recommended requirements for the GPU.

The minimum is ATI Radeon HD4800 (512MB) and the recommended is ATI Radeon HD 5850 (1GB VRAM). My GPU on my laptop is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5640 with 1 GB VRAM.

I don't know enough about the ATI/AMD graphic cards to know if CanIRunIt is right or wrong.

manhack

Question for one of you more PC savy GAF than I. I loved the original Homeworld, and I really, really want to pick this one up. However, on CanIRunIt it says my computer doesn't meet the minimum or recommended requirements for the GPU.

The minimum is ATI Radeon HD4800 (512MB) and the recommended is ATI Radeon HD 5850 (1GB VRAM). My GPU on my laptop is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5640 with 1 GB VRAM.

I don't know enough about the ATI/AMD graphic cards to know if CanIRunIt is right or wrong.

Hard to say for sure without testing, but typically you can turn down certain advanced options and you should be fine. I would probably go on the steam forums and see if anyone else with an HD4800 is having problems.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

playing on an imac with an HD6770M 512(!) and getting like, 80fps, i think you should be mostly fine

DBT85

My CE was delivered to my mum and dads place instead of mine. Why did I do that? lol

Never mind, I'm working anyway so can't play till Friday at the earliest.

Miker

playing on an imac with an HD6770M 512(!) and getting like, 80fps, i think you should be mostly fine

Is that with all the bells and whistles turned on? Because if so, that's pretty impressive optimization. I'll be waiting on more performance reports before I decide with my 7850.

Homeworld has been on my list of "games I missed back when I was a kid and really should play" for half a decade now. Thanks gearbox (ergh...) for helping make that happen.

smashism

Any way to turn off the mouth smoothing/accelleration, or whatever we call it. Why interface heavy games like this choose not to have 1:1 native mouse input is beyond me.

Palehorse

Gearbox offering keys for anyone who isn't getting their Collector's Edition today!

Mine isn't coming until next week in Canada and I'll be playing tonight!

Thanks Gearbox, classy move!

It's been far too long since I last played this game... and looks like I used capturing units WAY too little in my last playthrough. They are insanely good..3,5k+ resource worth of captures in one mission :D I'm not sure if I'm supposed to spoiler or not, so I guess it's better to spoiler.
Mission 4, HW1, I managed to capture 4x ion array frigs..a lot of money saved right there.

mantidor

It's been far too long since I last played this game... and looks like I used capturing units WAY too little in my last playthrough. They are insanely good..3,5k+ resource worth of captures in one mission :D I'm not sure if I'm supposed to spoiler or not, so I guess it's better to spoiler.
Mission 4, HW1, I managed to capture 4x ion array frigs..a lot of money saved right there.

With repeated replays I became a master space pirate, I salvaged everything, I even used whole repair frigates to protect my salvage corvettes for the most tricky capital ships. I felt I broke the game at times.

While at first it was frustrating, HW 2's new difficulty increase and difficulty in salvaging made me completely change my method and to, you know, actually start applying strategy to the battles. At the end I welcomed the change.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
They lock windowed max resolution to 1600x900 ._.

But TotalBiscuit talked about running it in 4k didn't he?

Edit: Oh, windowed. No borderless 1080p goodness then? :(

Gearbox offering keys for anyone who isn't getting their Collector's Edition today!

Mine isn't coming until next week in Canada and I'll be playing tonight!

Thanks Gearbox, classy move!

Did Gearbox get replaced with some new group of people suddenly or what. Between this being as an amazing remaster as it is, for a fantastic price and them sending out keys, it's starting to get easy to forget the Borderlands 2 / Colonial Marines kerfuffle

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Is that with all the bells and whistles turned on? Because if so, that's pretty impressive optimization. I'll be waiting on more performance reports before I decide with my 7850.

no, no none of the fancier effects (DOF, HDR bloom for some reason trashes the framerate, god rays on though they push the framerate down to like, mid 40s so i might turn them off). game still looks pretty amazing though. and 2xAA. 1080p.

admittedly only played the first few levels of HW1, so maybe the later stuff will thrash my computer a little more.

Nete

Oh god, I didn't remember the initial sequence with the travelling camera around the mothership while Adagio for Strings is playing. So fucking pretty.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Oh god, I didn't remember the initial sequence with the travelling camera around the mothership while Adagio for Strings is playing. So fucking pretty.
Like how could you not

That was a formative game moment for a younger me. I don't think I'll ever forget it.

Alric

My collectors edition just arrived and I'm excite. It's been so long since I last played this in highschool my with friend. I will boldly try and save the human race...after I find a place to put my statue and light it up.

Portman

This game is one of the reasons I'm a fan of classical music. The game is solely responsible for what is in my car door which is a CD of Samuel Barber's music that includes Agnus Dei which is what we know from Homeworld. It has taken me a while to find that version of it since most of the time it is just Adagio for Strings that you find and while I have nothing against it, the choral arrangement that is used in Homeworld is my favorite rendition of it.

Phinor

Soo.. how does one play the campaign then? The options available in Homeworld Remastered main menu are: Tutorial, Player vs CPU, Player Profiles, Options, Movies and Quit. Am I missing something very obvious? I did the tutorials already but what now?

Takes a while to get used to the vertical elements of the game given I haven't played it in many years. Took me way to long to find that carrier in the first mission.

Soo.. how does one play the campaign then? The options available in Homeworld Remastered main menu are: Tutorial, Player vs CPU, Player Profiles, Options, Movies and Quit. Am I missing something very obvious? I did the tutorials already but what now?

Download the "DLC"

Once you do, single player campaign will be available.

(Just go into properties on your game and to the DLC tab. Make sure both are checked. it'll be another 3.3GB download)

Phinor

Download the "DLC"

Once you do, single player campaign will be available.

(Just go into properties on your game and to the DLC tab. Make sure both are checked. it'll be another 3.3GB download)

Figures. I unchecked them immediately after buying because I've no need for the classic versions (which I thought the DLC is because of the labeling).

Thanks.

Lautaro

I was playing a custom game and somehow the AI got its new ships stuck between its Mothership and Carrier so it couldn't attack me, once I destroyed the Carrier it started behaving more normally.

Why I mention this? because TotalBuiscuit's video had the same issue so apparently this is a new bug. Let's hope Gearbox gives good support to this project.

Lime

I'm sad that the tutorial in HW1 isn't the same and it got changed to one with HW2 ships and different dialogue.

The tutorial music is also not the original track, which was some amazing ambient ("Tutorial"), and the excellent menu music is also not the same ("The First Steps").

:'(

epmode

Man, this game needs triple buffering. Borderless windowed isn't supported natively either. There's not even a way to put windowed mode at your monitor's native resolution (can't put it above it either).

And mouse sensitivity options.

GeoGonzo

I'm sad that the tutorial in HW1 isn't the same and it got changed to one with HW2 ships and different dialogue.

The tutorial music is also not the original track, which was some amazing ambient ("Tutorial"), and the excellent menu music is also not the same ("The First Steps").

:'(

Old tutorial would look awkward with the new UI. In any case you can always play it in original Homeworld (and apparently there's even an achievement for doing it... every other achievement is related to the remastered edition)

Lime

By the way, if anyone wants to play the Classics in 16:9 or custom resolutions, there's a regedit guide for it.

I'd probably suggest to fire up the classic HW1 to just experience the tutorial in a proper way with the correct voice actor and ambient music. It's seriously that soothing and great to have Heidi Ernest + Ruskay's ambient texture to accompany you the first time you get to learn the basics of the game.

Old tutorial would look awkward with the new UI. In any case you can always play it in original Homeworld (and apparently there's even an achievement for doing it... every other achievement is related to the remastered edition)

Sure thing, I just mostly wished they would have kept the original music.

epmode

Does anyone know how to set windowed mode to your native resolution or higher? Even editing the config file doesn't work since it will automatically default to a step right below native.

Alternatively, I would love to know how to enable triple buffering.

Lime

I shoulda dipped on the collector's edition. Didn't even know the figure could light up.

Some of the pre-orders didn't go through today, so check out if there are any left at the region-specific retailer you have.

If not, then some are selling them on Ebay for mostly non-insane prices.

Bummer, for those wondering I took a look through the games folders and found no trace of any manuals. There goes another chance for a clean rip of the HW2 manual!

Top Bottom