• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West: Complete PC is upon us.

Such bad timing to release this now with DD2 about to unlock.

Might end up selling decently on PC over time though.

That depends. DD2 seems to have a lot of reports that it runs like absolute dog shit on PC. If thats true, then Horizon might shine more until DD2 gets fixed.

Such bad timing to release this now with DD2 about to unlock.

Might end up selling decently on PC over time though.
Yea, it's really unfortunate. It would have done much better right out of the gate than it will because of Dragon's Dogma 2.

It should do alright over time.

Sony needs to know that if they're releasing 2 year+ old games out for full price or near full price... there's can't be ANY moderately anticipated games releasing close to it.. or it will kill the sales potential. Day 1 their games would do very well regardless of the competition... but as it stands, these old games will lose out every time.

TrebleShot

They're working to fix DualSense issues:

Also, it doesn't look like PC version has full DualSense support with haptic feedback and all. I mean, DualSense works, but it's dead at the same time. I wonder if they'll add full support cuz it's just as important here as in Returnal and Ratchet & Clank.

It doesn't. Prying open car trunks has a satisfying (to me at least) tension and "thunk" to it. Completely absent on PC and at first I thought my controller was funked up.
Full Dualsense features here (wired with steam input off)

Ferdimage

I wonder if its possible to port/convert my PS5 save to the PC version.
Not excited to start from scratch, since I haven't finished the game.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Just in the time since you posted this it has passed the Steam Deck and Apex Legends to move into the 4th spot behind Dragon’s Dogma 2, Counter-Strike 2, and Helldivers 2.

Currently the third best performing title. Just overtook Helldivers 2

ReBurn

Gold Member
This looks good. I'll probably double dip when it goes on sale to play it on Steam Deck. I had been replaying HFW on my Steam Deck through chiaki and when I got my Portal I switched to that. So I can wait a bit, but I would like to have it in my Steam library, too.

sigmaZ

also.
Horizon Forbidden Fun. The game is so fkn boring.
It looks incredible and it's one of these rare instances it is TOTALLY WORTH IT to play at least for graphics and world.
But the game about robot dinosaurs and space astronauts should not be this boring bruh
Yeah I beat it on PS5. It looks amazing and controls well but lacks a bit of something. I didn't love the first one either. I would say I had a smoother experience with this one.

Denton

Not even in the west yet, but god damn does this look good

2420110-20240322205658-1.png

2420110-20240322210017-1.png

UnrealEck

I played the first game on PC and was bored so quickly. I remember my workmate playing it in work and it looked good. But I was just bored to tears with it. I think the characters and story were just really not interesting me.

b0uncyfr0

Since HDR is borked, there's no autoHDR and and Radeon users can't use RTX HDR - I guess the only option is with Special K HDR?

Has anyone set it up. These settings are toouch for me.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
But that performance hit…😜
With the RTHDR? I'm not really well versed in this yet. It runs very well. Pretty much 4k144 BUT with DLSS3. It looks stellar. First DLSS3 game I've played, on this technical level, since CP2077.

Infinite Wealth is butter but that's a much less demanding game.

Mortisfacio

I played the first game on PC and was bored so quickly. I remember my workmate playing it in work and it looked good. But I was just bored to tears with it. I think the characters and story were just really not interesting me.

For me it was the boring fetch quests. In many ways early on in Zero Dawn the game felt like an MMO, but without the social aspect and seeing other people run around the zones. Didn't help I tried playing ZD directly after RDR2, so may have also been just burned out on open world, but I was so bored.

I read so much whining about Aloy being supposedly ugly on this dumb forum, yet I am playing and she is so pretty, wtf

Also, the dialogue scenes are huge step up from the first game, damn

2420110-20240323172230-1.png

2420110-20240323161138-1.png

Yeah I defended the game since day one on PS5 but I just stopped. gaf has a lot of idiots. This was my goty. I'd love to double dip on PC but eh, not much of a huge difference visually.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I read so much whining about Aloy being supposedly ugly on this dumb forum, yet I am playing and she is so pretty, wtf

Her head is too big for her body, actually everybody’s head is, but yeah the complaints are exaggerated. And the game looks amazing. 8 hours in now.
bTZyCSu.jpeg

Last edited:
Game looks just incredible on PC. It's what I could've always wished for. Playing on a 4090 rig. Optimization is what all games should strive far. Decima flexes, even without RT. To me, overall looks better than Avatar. I just prefer the art style more than Avatar.

evanft

People who care about the attractiveness of video game characters should be put on a watchlist.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

winjer

Gold Member
This is much more in-line with the expected results.

Benchmark results will always vary, for a myriad of reasons. And it doesn't necessarily mean one is wrong and another is right.
Sometimes it's just because the place in the game, where different reviewers test is different.
Sometimes there are different differences in hardware configuration. Different CPUs, memory setup, etc. Or even how something could be configured in the UEFI.
And sometimes, because of what is running in the background. Some reviewers take care to have a proper clean system. Other have all the bloatware that Windows installs.

Gaiff

Benchmark results will always vary, for a myriad of reasons. And it doesn't necessarily mean one is wrong and another is right.
Sometimes it's just because the place in the game, where different reviewers test is different.
Sometimes there are different differences in hardware configuration. Different CPUs, memory setup, etc. Or even how something could be configured in the UEFI.
And sometimes, because of what is running in the background. Some reviewers take care to have a proper clean system. Other have all the bloatware that Windows installs.
Of course, but another benchmark had the 7900 XTX beating out the 4090 which was a head scratcher. I looked online and at YouTube videos and it never happens in this game.

That the results vary in terms of average fps or 1% lows is easily explained. That a 7900 XTX in one benchmark performs 10% better than a 4090 but 15% worse in another, not so much.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Of course, but another benchmark had the 7900 XTX beating out the 4090 which was a head scratcher. I looked online and at YouTube videos and it never happens in this game.

That the results vary in terms of average fps or 1% lows is easily explained. That a 7900 XTX in one benchmark performs 10% better than a 4090 but 15% worse in another, not so much.

The is probably some scenes where that happens. As some benchmarks do show it.

Gaiff

The is probably some scenes where that happens. As some benchmarks do show it.
The other benchmark is from this site with questionable data. Those guys have like 30 GPU tested at 6 different resolutions for a total of 180 benchmarks within hours of a game’s release. Not only that, but their 7900 XTX averages 81fps which is identical to what Techpowerup’s got at 80fps. What is puzzling is their 4090 getting 78fps but Techpowerup getting 92. Why would one outlet’s 4090 perform 18% better than the other one when the 7900 XTX performs the same? Logically, the performance delta should remain within a few %. It’s not like the 7900 XTX far outperforms the 4090 in anything that could explain the disparity.

If say, a 7800 XT performs 10% worse than a 4070 in one benchmark but 5% in the other, this can be attributed to a number of things such as its higher bandwidth or VRAM. In the case of the 4090 vs 7900 XTX though? I don’t see how the bottleneck could shift into crippling the former but not affect the latter.

winjer

Gold Member
The other benchmark is from this site with questionable data. Those guys have like 30 GPU tested at 6 different resolutions for a total of 180 benchmarks within hours of a game’s release. Not only that, but their 7900 XTX averages 81fps which is identical to what Techpowerup’s got at 80fps. What is puzzling is their 4090 getting 78fps but Techpowerup getting 92. Why would one outlet’s 4090 perform 18% better than the other one when the 7900 XTX performs the same? Logically, the performance delta should remain within a few %. It’s not like the 7900 XTX far outperforms the 4090 in anything that could explain the disparity.

If say, a 7800 XT performs 10% worse than a 4070 in one benchmark but 5% in the other, this can be attributed to a number of things such as its higher bandwidth or VRAM. In the case of the 4090 vs 7900 XTX though? I don’t see how the bottleneck could shift into crippling the former but not affect the latter.

I have no idea why their results for the 4090 are lower.
In other games they tested, the 4090 performed ahead of the 7900XT.

You insist in comparing results, but they will always have different numbers. Reviewers don't test in the same place in every game.
Computerbase results have different numbers from Techpowerup and Gamegpu.

Gaiff

I have no idea why their results for the 4090 are lower.
In other games they tested, the 4090 performed ahead of the 7900XT.

You insist in comparing results, but they will always have different numbers. Reviewers don't test in the same place in every game.
Computerbase results have different numbers from Techpowerup and Gamegpu.
You misunderstand me. The raw numbers don't really matter. I've tried the game myself and in some scenes, I get 140fps but in others, I barely get 90. That's understandable. The load may vary widely depending on where you are.

What matters is the hierarchy between the different GPUs. If one outlet has a 7900 XTX at 100fps and the 4090 at 120 but another outlet has the 7900 XTX at 80fps and the 4090 at 96fps, we can chalk this up to one reviewer just testing a much heavier area. In either instances, the 4090 is 20% faster. However, if one site has the 4090 at 100fps and the 7900 XTX at 80fps but the other has the 4090 at 80fps and the 7900 XTX at 100fps, something doesn't add up. There's no reason for such a massive disparity in the performance delta between two GPUs where one is clearly superior to the other in almost every facet. It's not like a site has the 7900 XTX 5% ahead and another site has it 8% ahead. If such is the case, we can determine that the game favors AMD in one way or another or it could be drivers or what have you, but this will likely be reproducible across the entire game. One area won't suddenly demolish the 4090 and not touch the 7900 XTX, only to do the opposite in the next one.

I do stress 7900 XTX vs 4090 because there's almost no scenario under which a 7900 XTX will start to outperform a 4090 within the same game when it hadn't before.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
You misunderstand me. The raw numbers don't really matter. I've tried the game myself and in some scenes, I get 140fps but in others, I barely get 90. That's understandable. The load may vary widely depending on where you are.

What matters is the hierarchy between the different GPUs. If one outlet has a 7900 XTX at 100fps and the 4090 at 120 but another outlet has the 7900 XTX at 80fps and the 4090 at 96fps, we can chalk this up to one reviewer just testing a much heavier area. In either instances, the 4090 is 20% faster. However, if one site has the 4090 at 100fps and the 7900 XTX at 80fps but the other has the 4090 at 80fps and the 7900 XTX at 100fps, something doesn't add up. There's no reason for such a massive disparity in the performance delta between two GPUs where one is clearly superior to the other in almost every facet. It's not like a site has the 7900 XTX 5% ahead and another site has it 8% ahead. If such is the case, we can determine that the game favors AMD in one way or another or it could be drivers or what have you, but this will likely be reproducible across the entire game. One area won't suddenly demolish the 4090 and not touch the 7900 XTX, only to do the opposite in the next one.

I do stress 7900 XTX vs 4090 because there's almost no scenario under which a 7900 XTX will start to outperform a 4090 within the same game when it hadn't before.

But every scene will have different loads on different GPU parts. Some scenes might be more demanding on geometry. Others in alpha effects. Others in compute.
RDNA3 and Ada, have different strengths that might show in different situations.
And mind you, the 7900XTX, is still performing very well in the Techpowerup results. In most games it performs around the 4080. But here it has a clear advantage.

Gaiff

But every scene will have different loads on different GPU parts. Some scenes might be more demanding on geometry. Others in alpha effects. Others in compute.
Yes and I already pointed as much. The 7800 XT for instance has a massive 24% bandwidth advantage over the 4070. It’s entirely possible in one scene for it to be slightly slower and in another to be significantly faster. In the 4090 vs 7900 XTX’s cases, however, there isn’t a single metric that massively favors the 7900 XTX that could explain such a scenario. The 7900 XTX could claw back 2,5, even perhaps 10% depending on the load distribution but 20%? There is some fuckery with the benchmark.

Techpowerup tested 30 GPUs with 3 resolutions and they published their results 10 hours ago. GameGPU tested 30 GPUs with 6 resolutions (3 with upscaling) and even have frame generation. They also have CPU tests and this was 3 days ago, mere hours after the game’s release. No one works that fast. That’s why I question their results.
RDNA3 and Ada, have different strengths that might show in different situations.
And mind you, the 7900XTX, is still performing very well in the Techpowerup results. In most games it performs around the 4080. But here it has a clear advantage.
The 7900 XTX is often around 5-10% faster than the 4080 at 4K. Its bandwidth is a whopping 34% higher. This isn’t out of the ordinary.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

On a 4080 laptop.

Runs around the 180 fps maxed out at 1080p with dlss quality, with DLAA it runs around the 150 fps.

Pretty darn nice performance.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member

Hey man no one should bash you for liking chubby square jaws ... we all have our preferences.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Hey man no one should bash you for being a brainlet moron ... we all have our genes.

Anyway, today's batch

2420110-20240323204620-1.png

2420110-20240324140509-1.png

2420110-20240324141158-1.png

2420110-20240324140636-1.png

2420110-20240324141341-1.png
Welp...No need for name calling, but if you didnt want people to know you enjoy them a little ruff on the chin you shouldn't have posted mate. No need to get this aggravated, this is a open mind forum, not like reee... we accept everybody.

Kenpachii

Played it for a bit, they still opted for a starting tutorial area which is annoying but better then the first game which was straight up bad. Other then that performance is good, but gets worse in open area, framegen adds sometimes little to the performance, in a more open area it adds like 10-20 fps over 60 it did in the starting area.

Performance all around solid besides cutscenes, there are heavy fps drops in cutscenes later on in the game.

Game plays well, visually its a nice looking game but could have been better with pathtracing, lightning feels flat at times. Also water is inconsistent at the start of the game, can have some weird artifacting in the desert storms.

on a 4080 laptop, basically a 4070 desktop gpu, u get about 70 fps at 4k, 100 fps at 1440p, and 130-150 fps 1080p. Game plays really smooth so that's absolutely a plus. DLAA is really good in this game even at 1080p, image is really clean no shimmering at all.

I really like the resolution changer for ultra wide, u can flip to ultrawide pretty easily which is cool on my 4k tv.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

I think it's a combination of that hair cut that emphasises a widow's peak and does not frame her face at all and her skin being bit on the flabby side. You'd expect her face to be thinner given her physical life style. So yeah there's a reason why women generally opt for hair cuts that frame the face and why make-up emphasises bone structures. That's conventional beauty standards which Aloy does not fit.

Denton

Welp...No need for name calling, but if you didnt want people to know you enjoy them a little ruff on the chin you shouldn't have posted mate. No need to get this aggravated, this is a open mind forum, not like reee... we accept everybody.
Hey I thought we were mocking each other here, don't dish it out if you can't take it.

Game plays well, visually its a nice looking game but could have been better with pathtracing, lightning feels flat at times. Also water is inconsistent at the start of the game, can have some weird artifacting in the desert storms.

While the game looks insanely good on average, it is true that in some interiors the lighting and water looks wildly imperfect to the point that I am surprised they left it like this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom