• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West releases on Steam with lower player count than Horizon: Zero Dawn

mdkirby

Not surprising it’s just not as good a game, so many dialogue and story beats were just bleurgh. The only memorable interesting characters were the archaeologists and sylence but the latter was barely in it. In terms of grander story, the first game and it’s big reveals and unravelling of the story that led to humanity’s fall was FAR more interesting, but they’d already blown that load, so hard to follow it. The pacing was poor. Aloy was annoying as fuck, she seemed continually “irritated” by every single person she spoke with, gritting her teeth and talking through fake smiles. Super unlikeable. The combat could also be very frustrating and fiddly too. It looked pretty tho.

REDRZA MWS

When people use the word "woke" you know their argument is going to be awful.

horizon-forbidden-west-aloy-in-water.jpg

cb3389d4d9aa1fa6044705a6948bd249.jpg
Nah. You know exactly wtf is going on on what we are talking about here. Sounds like you are “asleep”.

Ozriel

M$FT
Going by the Insomniac leaks, all PC-ports were profitable, so it isn't a failure at all.

PC just isn't as important to Sony as some PC gamers like to think.

GaaS being the exception due to the nature of online multiplayer gaming.

Sony’s strategy slides and public statements make it very clear that PC is VERY important to Sony. It’s a great source of additional revenue, and is an important part of their GaaS push.

DeaDPo0L84

Sony’s strategy slides and public statements make it very clear that PC is VERY important to Sony. It’s a great source of additional revenue, and is an important part of their GaaS push.
What's so bizarre is the console fanboys begging and pleading that Sony stop porting 1st party games to PC when they should be hoping they're super successful so it funds more projects for the console, it's a rinse/repeat cycle, how they can't see this is beyond me.

Dynasty8

Loved the first one, but you can't even pay me money to play the second one. I am not even kidding or exaggerating. I find the constant hand holding and "hints" and Aloy dialogue (where she just randomly talks to herself all the time) so incredibly annoying that it's not worth my time. I am just so over all that.

clarky

Gold Member
Not surprised tbh.

Tempted to buy it for the eye candy but i know deep down ill fuck around with it for a couple of hours then stick it in my already very large backlog.

Way too much on the go atm and i just bought DD2, might grab it on a deep sale at somepoint .

Last edited:

Fredrik

What's so bizarre is the console fanboys begging and pleading that Sony stop porting 1st party games to PC when they should be hoping they're super successful so it funds more projects for the console, it's a rinse/repeat cycle, how they can't see this is beyond me.
Idk, is it bizarre? I’d say it’s a normal reaction about wanting the exclusives the stay as real exclusives and system sellers and not just timed exclusives with definitive versions coming elsewhere later. And if a userbase of 40 million isn’t enough to fund more projects for the console then the industry is broken, it should be enough.

The result, I’ve basically retired my PS5 now because of these ports. I only used it for the exclusives (and Hogwarts) and have a PC in the living room for those now where they’re better. I guess my kids could start it to play some PS4 Skylanders some day but all in all the console is collecting dust, sad but true.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
No, Killzone is an IP, it was killed by Guerilla Games Studios by making a sub-par game in Shadows Fall. The IP was doing good with 2 and 3.

I guess they really wanted to make a lezbo open world game with bows.
Well, then GG ended Killzone, not Horizon.

Whatever the case, GG could have never made Killzone relevant after Shadowfall. The demand for these traditional shooters had dried up. If Halo is barely irrelevant now, Killzone would have been a lost memory.

Fredrik

I enjoyed the first one and the DLC but I don't have it in me to play this one I don't think. Not that great from all I've seen.
If you have the system to run it on very high and like nice visuals. Play it. It’s not a bad game at all but there is some annoying control jank that you need to get used to.
I’m quite blown away tbh, about 6 hours in, it’s a real looker like few other games and I know from playing on PS5 that I have even better looking areas ahead of me.

Fake

Returnal made its profit on PS5 and it reviewed well. I dont know what you mean by flop

Returnal did pretty mix bag sales in PS5 if I remember right. And I not talking about review score, so keep that out of the table.

Sackboy did OKish on PS5, but bad on PC. I guess is because the port quality.

Nah, I almost hated this game after having loved the first one. Story is terrible and the writing was hilariously bad. I dont remember any new characters while I can still remember ones from mid games from two generations of consoles ago.
The level design was also plain as hell, with sometimes great vistas but mostly dull locations, and never any "wow moment" like I had in the first one.

My memory is crystal clear, this was just a terrible sequel and a dull experience, with no memorable moments and it felt like a waste of my time. I vividly remember all the facepalms I had during some cutscenes and with the different tribes you encounter, like the "C'eeho" native american one that felt like one of the most ridiculous thing I came across in recent memories.

Subjective opinion and all that, I understand, but I perfectly remember what I played and it was not great. A safe, dull and random as hell AAA gaming sequel experience.

Pretty much. I got the plat but it wasn’t a great experience, kind of just a mindless Ubi clone open world game.

The narrative and writing are the worst elements of the game. It’s like every NPC has a dozen pages of shitty dialogue to hit you with every time you talk to them and none of it is interesting.

Fake

Sales wise Im pretty sure it made a profit so didnt flop in that regard.

FY2021 games:

1. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - 2.34m
  2. MLB The Show 21 - 1.606m
  3. Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut - 1.494m
  4. Returnal - 866k
  5. Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection - 329k
  6. Death Stranding Director's Cut - 210k
FY2020 games:

1. Spider-Man: Miles Morales - 10.184m
  2. The Last of Us Part II - 9.636m
  3. Ghost of Tsushima - 7.436m
  4. Demon's Souls Remake - 1.857m
  5. Sackboy: A Big Adventure - 1.289m
  6. Predator: Hunting Grounds - 778k
Catalogue games (pre-FY2020):

• Spider-Man 2018 - 22.121m
  • God of War PS4 - 20.826m
  • Horizon Zero Dawn - 19.261m
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - 18.616m
  • The Last of Us Remastered - 18.242m
  • Gran Turismo Sport - 12.726m
  • Uncharted Collection - 9.684m
  • Bloodborne - 7.464m
  • Days Gone - 7.322m
  • Ratchet & Clank - 6.97m
  • God of War 3 Remastered - 5.57m
  • Detroit Become Human - 5.406m
  • LittleBigPlanet 3 - 5.391m
  • Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - 5.246mil
  • InFamous: Second Son - 5.084m
  • Driveclub - 4.764m
  • Death Stranding - 4.157m
  • Until Dawn - 3.906m

Sounds like pretty low numbers to me.

Last edited:

adamosmaki

Maybe people arent that much excited for it and are not willing to spend 60 on it .
Personally i found zero dawn just decent so i cant justify 60euros for more of the same. For 20-30 sure

Rockman33

Wasn't Returnal a flop on PC?
Not sure one numbers but I think returnal is a game that would have really benefited from releasing day and date on PC. Better frame rates and a controller that had back paddles when it released would have been great.

Still my favorite Sony 1st party game this gen.

Tomi

Why should we care?

Sony is bringing more great ports to pc, so more games for pc gamers is always welcome

Gudji

Fuck you too.
10 years ago everyone was asking guerrilla to move away from killzone because they couldn't do justice to the franchise. Now it's "bring back killzone". Gtfo.

Btw what's up with the fucking insults in GAF as of late? Must be the climate change.

Fake

Not sure one numbers but I think returnal is a game that would have really benefited from releasing day and date on PC. Better frame rates and a controller that had back paddles when it released would have been great.

Still my favorite Sony 1st party game this gen.

Can't say for sure, but as far as we know Returnal flopped on PS5 and than flopped on PC. I posted the numbers, if Kokoloko85 Kokoloko85 could find where is the profit in that numbers I'll glad to confirm what he did.

Despite being great it's a niche title. Hardcore sci-fi shooter with a "grounded-looking" female character cannot expect a big audience.

I remember when the sales got reported people blame the game being a 'rougelike', but was already proved that being rougelike have nothing to do with the game flopping because there was others in the same genre getting much better numbers than Returnal.
I mean, even the GoW: Ragnarok update got praise even being a rougelike mode.

Last edited:
Top Bottom