• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn Complete Edition announced

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
That's what I'm saying, I'm having a difficult time seeing beyond the conception that this is a huge disappointment with a great photo mode.

I guess? There are as many threads and post praising and raving about it.

He said game of the year, not cooking simulator of the year.

But that honor will go to the Switch version of Overcooked this year.

And next year it will go to Monster Hunter World.

tenor.gif

I have to say, I've actively avoided purchasing Horizon because from every thread I've read in here, it seems like it would be a huge dissapointment since I've put many hours into BotW. PS4 is my main system but It's way too much to ignore those 'buyer beware' vibes.

I've platinumed Horizon, and it's probably my favorite game this year. I constantly stall out in BotW, last I left it I was on my third divine beast. I'll finish it but it certainly didn't captivate me like Horizon.

Not

Banned
So I guess this means they're hard at work on the sequel. I'm counting the days til the expansion TBH.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I have to say, I've actively avoided purchasing Horizon because from every thread I've read in here, it seems like it would be a huge dissapointment since I've put many hours into BotW. PS4 is my main system but It's way too much to ignore those 'buyer beware' vibes.

Most people seem to love this game but as for me it was my biggest disappointment this year. I really liked art direction when first reveal it but actual playing the game....it was not fun for me, it was most boring open world game I ever played.

Mifune

Mehmber
I've platinumed Horizon, and it's probably my favorite game this year. I constantly stall out in BotW, last I left it I was on my third divine beast. I'll finish it but it certainly didn't captivate me like Horizon.

Yep. I love both games but only Horizon made me fiendishly play it at all hours for weeks straight.

zeitgeist

Awesome. I was waiting for a Complete Edition before diving in and figured it would be a year away. I guess Frozen Wilds is the last of the DLC for the game?

Horizon is amazing and I'd personally rate it higher than BotW. If you've thought about playing it this is the perfect time to jump in.

Popping off little robots and having intense battles against giant ones was such a blast.

It depends on what you value and how you approach the game. If absolute freedom and emergent gameplay are things you highly value, Horizon will feel very constrained after Breath of the Wild. If exhilarating combat against large beasts, a strong protagonist, and an intriguing narrative are your preferences, that's a different story. If it's a mix of things, I still think it's worth checking out.

I ultimately enjoyed Horizon more because the combat really clicked with me, and I felt Aloy was one of the best written characters I've ever played. I grew tired of Breath of the Wild after a while and avoided many enemy encounters, whereas with Horizon, I often went out of my way to fight the robots.

They take different approaches to the open world genre, but both come highly recommended.

Gitaroo

God damn it, should have announced it earlier, would have traded in my standard cppy when ea had the double trade in credits promo.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Horizon is a very good game that, unfortunately, has quite a few issues that keep it from true greatness.

The fundamentals are so strong and it looks so damn nice I feel a bit mean harping on about its shortcomings, but the fact of the matter is that its kinda uneven. Core story stuff is fine, but a lot of the side-plots and characters aren't terribly interesting or well-written. The further you get into the game, things seem to improve, but it doesn't give a particularly good initial impression.

The lore and back-story is impressively deep, but can be stodgy due to a few sections turning into lengthy exposition dumps. Aloy's "world" though is generally underwritten and far less interesting than it really should be on the whole; finding new settlements and tribes should be more impactful and more sharply differentiated. There's some odd choices such as most vendor npc's selling identical wares irrespective of location which don't help either.

That being said, the sheer beauty of the world does help to keep interest, and the core traversal and combat systems are very satisfying.

I'd certainly recommend Horizon, I just wish it was as well-written as say Nier: Automata, a game that evoked far more impact and emotion from me despite offering a fraction of the resources available here. Not to say Horizon is lacking in memorable moments, its just they are fewer and further apart than I'd like.

Ahasverus

It truly is Far cry with Dino mechs, but everything it tries to do is done well. Take that as you will.

steven28

I sold my copy after finishing it a few weeks after launch as i didn't expect them to release any dlc,so i'll definitely re buy this.My ps4 crashed a couple of months ago and i lost all my save files,so this will make a good christmas game to go through again,as i found it a joy to play.

Garlador

complete/gold editions the same year as the vanilla game feels wrong

It's not like there was a Season Pass, tons of DLC you'd need a spreadsheet to figure out, or a billion things locked behind microtransactions.

It's the game, some preorder costumes, and the single expansion they made that's coming out nearly 10 months after release.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's not like there was a Season Pass, tons of DLC you'd need a spreadsheet to figure out, or a billion things locked behind microtransactions.

It's the game, some preorder costumes, and the single expansion they made that's coming out nearly 10 months after release.

It just comes off as kinda desperate

So Horizon is a general disappointment now?

Still my game of the year as it stands over Persona 5 and Lost Legacy. Surprised they are making a complete edition so soon, but I guess it will boost the expansions interest before the year ends.

I'm sure Guerilla will improve on the first title in every way given how they made the first one with such care, polish and determination.

Best wishes.

Garlador

It just comes off as kinda desperate

I'm... really not seeing this. Desperate how? It was a major sales success, they didn't run it into the ground with copious amounts of nickel-and-dime DLC, and nearly 10 months later they release a bundle of the main game and the single DLC expansion they've made for late adopters simultaneously.

It's not even unusual. Dragon Age Origins had an "Ultimate Edition" that had everything about 11 months after release. A complete version of Batman: Arkham City came out 7 months later. Etc.

This is utterly normal and only benefits everyone.

Damn, there must have been a bunch of people who originally skipped out on this game for them to announce what's essentially a GOTY edition less than a year later for $50. I'm sure it will help move a few more PS4s this Christmas (and that's most likely their reasoning behind doing this so early).

I'll probably pick this up sometime next year when there's a lull in releases and my backlog has been decently reduced.

Top Bottom