• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn Complete Edition announced

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Sure why not...it’s hard not to compare them. They are roughly the same type of game and came out at the same time.

I clicked on a Horizon thread to read about Horizon, not how much you love Breath of the Wild.

SirNinja

One day we'll have a Horizon thread without someone posting something BotW-related. One day.

Horizon is a very good game that, unfortunately, has quite a few issues that keep it from true greatness.

I'd certainly recommend Horizon, I just wish it was as well-written as say Nier: Automata, a game that evoked far more impact and emotion from me despite offering a fraction of the resources available here.

image.php

Oh yeah, sure, that was just a completely totally random example, uh huh

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
One day we'll have a Horizon thread without someone posting something BotW-related. One day.

image.php

I played both to completion and they are lot elements in NieR Automata I enjoyed more than I did in Horizon, especially went it comes to characters and story.

traveler

Not Wario
Great timing. Missed it due to the Nier > Zelda > Persona content onslaught when it landed. It's still garnering GOTY hype to this day, so I'll give it a shot.

Hell yeah, I was hoping for this. One of the last big games from this year I was curious about but never got to check out. Time to see what the fuss is all about!

If the game truly is complete and they're moving on from it, I have no problem with developers getting a Complete edition disc out as soon as they know they're done.

Garlador

Hell yeah, I was hoping for this. One of the last big games from this year I was curious about but never got to check out. Time to see what the fuss is all about!

If the game truly is complete and they're moving on from it, I have no problem with developers getting a Complete edition disc out as soon as they know they're done.

I don't either.

And I actually loved that, in this day and age of "games as a service", we got a VERY solid, no-frills solo, single-player, story-driven game with practically no microtransactions, season passes, or other things that make me feel like they're giving us games piecemeal.

The expansion coming out was also not something they held off from the main game and was instead an expansion on an already finished product. I can't even remember the last time we had the simple "game, feedback, expansion" loop.

IISANDERII

I don't either.

And I actually loved that, in this day and age of "games as a service", we got a VERY solid, no-frills solo, single-player, story-driven game with practically no microtransactions, season passes, or other things that make me feel like they're giving us games piecemeal.

The expansion coming out was also not something they held off from the main game and was instead an expansion on an already finished product. I can't even remember the last time we had the simple "game, feedback, expansion" loop.
This part doesn't get enough praise. It's such a better experience when you know you're getting something genuine instead of being relentlessly hammered with DLC and microtransactions sales pitches.

shimon

Maybe a little offtopic but between this and Nioh I just realized we now start getting "Complete Editions" of games within less than a year of official release.

So basically publishers are trying the sell the game twice within 10 months.

Any other games did that recently? Will this become a trend or maybe it already started?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

image.php

Of course its not random, its an example of what I consider to be good! You may not agree with my taste, or what I consider valuable and effective as flavour writing in games, but I'm nothing if not consistent in my viewpoint.

The writing in the Nier games may not match the cinematic "realism" of say TLOU, but its exceptionally good at generating emotional reactions from the sketchiest dialogues. In Horizon (sadly) side and quest npc's talk and talk, yet fail more often than not to elicit any sort of connection with the player. Which is a shame in my opinion, particularly as there is some good writing and solid performances supporting the "A" plot of the title.

Sygma

Half the reason I was able to easily waste over 100 hours on the game. For those that waited to play this, it's also the excuse to get Pro+4k if you haven't done that yet.

Can't wait for FW. Fully upgraded and ready (new game+ weapons and all)

It's so tough man, I did the initiation and whatnot, reached the first hunting grounds and went like "Jesus but why are so many games not at that level in terms of ... everything !" and then forced myself mentally to stop playing until I get a 4k + hdr TV / monitor

But my mind is like "CONTINUE CONTINUE CONTINUE"

Because I really want to continue lol but I don't think it would be the same by replaying it all while knowing everything about the game. urgh

#firstworldproblems

Guess that means no pro-bundle unless they offer a free upgrade later or PSN credit... I just remembered how I've pretty much wasted the last two years of PS+... But I guess I have a ton of PS4 games already so there's that.

If there's only one dlc, I'll just get it on black friday but I'm still hoping there's a $300 pro bundle with horizon included
Also knack 2 D:

I like the cover but the first cover looks better imo, you see how huge those metal beasts are

Also hoping for a $300 PS4 Pro bundle for BF since I've yet to get a current gen console... I've never waited this long before.

Maybe a little offtopic but between this and Nioh I just realized we now start getting "Complete Editions" of games within less than a year of official release.

So basically publishers are trying the sell the game twice within 10 months.

Any other games did that recently? Will this become a trend or maybe it already started?
I feel like this is a good thing tho. The closer complete editions creep to launch, the easier it is to wait and buy that instead.

shimon

I feel like this is a good thing tho. The closer complete editions creep to launch, the easier it is to wait and buy that instead.

Well yeah if you're a person who can wait it's obviously a good thing. But if you pay 100$ for base game + dlcs and then months people buy the same content for 60$...I can see them being pissed.

I know this sort of thing has been happening before but it was usually 1+ years before it happened. Not a big deal I guess,just something I noticed last couple of days.

Sygma

??the game was met with critical claim If gaf is your only barometer you won't be playing a lot of games

I'm gonna put a quick end to this

Do you like action in your open world games, coupled with actually good sci fi elements ?

If yes you don't need to think any further. It plays ridiculously well, has gorgeous graphics, has skill trees and a pretty neat enemy variety (which botw doesnt have)

Both are totally unique in their own way. The map is smaller but its not the point, and the world itself is slick / interesting enough (there's an actual good lore)

Zelda is nowhere near as good on that end (the combat / variety). Its better on the pure "wanderlust" aspect

Kumquat

I dunno about everyone else but I can't wait for people to start playing it and relive the wonder I had with the game when I first started playing. Really looking forward to many LTTP threads.

Great, haven't played this yet but was on my holiday list. I've converted over to 100% digital on Ps4 but think I'll grab a physical copy just for the artwork.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
It just comes off as kinda desperate

This does not compute. If you've already got the game you just buy the DLC and if you haven't got the game you can buy all the game + DLC for a reduced price. No one seems to lose out in this situation.

Sony would make more money re-promoting the game this year and the DLC and then next year releasing the complete edition. But then people would argue it's a desperate attempt to make people double dip.

You're grasping ...

Falchion

So I'm guessing this will have a seperate trophy list since it's a complete edition. I'd love to get a second Horizon platinum.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Well yeah if you're a person who can wait it's obviously a good thing. But if you pay 100$ for base game + dlcs and then months people buy the same content for 60$...I can see them being pissed.
I got the game on day 1 and I'm not pissed because I got to play the game at launch and had a great time. Games always get discounted later, and get bundled with their expansions/DLCs somewhere down the line. If I cared about that more than I cared about playing the game right as it came out, I'd simply wait. It's not rocket science.

DomLando

Any word on using your save from the Vanilla game with this edition? Just started the game, only about an hour in. I might just wait for this edition to come out if I cannot use the same save file.

Any word on using your save from the Vanilla game with this edition? Just started the game, only about an hour in. I might just wait for this edition to come out if I cannot use the same save file.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the Complete Edition is probably just a repackage plus the upcoming DLC and the deluxe edition content. So it shouldn't have any compatibility issues.

Top Bottom