• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn - E3 Screenshots

dcx4610

Not the kind of game I would normally play but it looks beautiful and unique. I'll probably buy it just to support a new IP.

I really hope the story is good because there's going to be a lot explaining to do.

Blam

vegetation draw distance seems better (but vegetation seems different : more dense & colorfull)
but it can be because of the blurrier stream

I like the E3 one more as it shows more color, instead of the flat green the newer build does show.

Then again that might be just prettied up for those certain parts.

I agree

though the colors in one of the gifs one scene(jungle area?) kinda looked like that artwork

l46CgAFbiQSG60gSc.gif

This looks so incredible its silly

I'm just tired of people making connections where there likely aren't. It's like no one can put in an easter egg or just have similar design due from being from the same artists without a jump to a connected universe.

The further they distance themselves from Killzones offensively bad story the better...

Guys pls stop ganging up on me.

Just saying, I think Horizon being a stealth KZ universe sequel would be interesting, even if it doesn't explicitly touch on the Helghast/ISA conflicts or backstory.

Don't hurt me

bunkitz

Who are the writers for this again and what have they worked on? I'm totally sold on the gameplay already, now I'm just worrying about the story. I'm really interested in it, so I hope it's written really well.

Oh, I apologize - I didn't realize how many gorgeous open-world alt-history games featuring giant robot dinosaurs there are.

I'll see myself out.
Yeah, I mean really! How many games are out there that look like this one? I don't know what they're smoking, but it looks phenomenal.

Who are the writers for this again and what have they worked on? I'm totally sold on the gameplay already, now I'm just worrying about the story. I'm really interested in it, so I hope it's written really well.

The lead writer is John Gonzalez, and Fallout: New Vegas was the last game he was lead writer on. He also did this work on Shadow of Mordor

Created main story of Talion and Celebrimbor (the Wraith), and co-developed major NPCs and side quests. Wrote all cinematic scripts for Celebrimbor's visions (his recovered memories). Co-designed the Nemesis System, leading design of its intricate AI-driven dialogue, and wrote or edited 12,000+ lines of Orc showdowns, death taunts, and more. Collaborated extensively with realization, audio, design, and cinematics staff on other features and assisted direction during voice recording.

Oh, I apologize - I didn't realize how many gorgeous open-world alt-history games featuring giant robot dinosaurs there are.

I'll see myself out.

Yeah, I mean really! How many games are out there that look like this one? I don't know what they're smoking, but it looks phenomenal.

Ok, clearly we were responding as if he posted that to knock the game or somehting rather than trying to make a claim that there are other games out there like this.

bunkitz

The lead writer is John Gonzalez, and Fallout: New Vegas was the last game he was lead writer on. He also did this work on Shadow of Mordor

Awesome. I haven't played those games myself, but I've heard great things about both games. Although, Shadow of Mordor seems to have gotten mixed reviews, in terms of the story... That's a shit ton of work he did on that game, though. Damn.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
This game is so damn gorgeous. I've always been a big Guerrilla Games fan, but I'm hoping this game brings them some attention and accolades. I love the Killzone games, but I'm glad to see them actually creating a game that they can utilize the lore for.

Killzone had a fascinating history and lore, but the games never did shit with it. I always thought the Killzone series would do better as a Mass Effect style FPSRPG, where you'd be able to explore the universe and get sucked into the world.

I'm excited to see them finally doing that with this game.

Falchion

This weekend I played Killzone Shadow Fall for the first time and even though it's 2 and a half years old, I was still very impressed with the visuals it had. Can't wait to play Horizon because it's looking even better.

The Witcher's...not an RPG? Hmm lol?

It also has individual armor pieces :)

Horizon doesn't have individual armour pieces. Apparently it only has outfits. You can unlock outfits, but not individual armour pieces.

Unless you're talking about The Witcher, in which case yeah you're right. I love that part. But really there isn't much in the way of character builds in Witcher. You're still using fairly much the same tools, just some things are vaguely more effective than others. It's like an RPG-lite.

Horizon doesn't have individual armour pieces. Apparently it only has outfits. You can unlock outfits, but not individual armour pieces.

Unless you're talking about The Witcher, in which case yeah you're right. I love that part. But really there isn't much in the way of character builds in Witcher. You're still using fairly much the same tools, just some things are vaguely more effective than others. It's like an RPG-lite.

Errr, not to say that you're wrong or anything, but I've not seen anything specific about how the armour works in the game. Also you're trying to correct the guy who leaked the game in the first place, so I would have thought that they know what's going on with the game.

Unless you have a source? :D

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

At this point RPG is a pretty loose term. Horizon is an action RPG which means it relies on the players skills as much as it does stats and the like. I'm fine with that myself and have no issue calling it an RPG.

Errr, not to say that you're wrong or anything, but I've not seen anything specific about how the armour works in the game. Also you're trying to correct the guy who leaked the game in the first place, so I would have thought that they know what's going on with the game.

Unless you have a source? :D

I don't think I am trying to correct Shinobi. He also didn't leak the game, he said it would be pushed back. I was trying to clarify with him whether he was talking about Witcher or Horizon. Also, I am sure he'd agree with me when I say that just because someone has inside knowledge doesn't mean they are somehow authorities on every videogame adn everything going on behind the scenes.

I am struggling to find where these outfits were mentioned as opposed to armour, because they were in video form. But here's a still from Guerrilla's stream, doesn't look like there's individual pieces to customise.

XmMUV78.jpg

I was speaking about The Witcher. It very much has character builds. For example my build was a tank with a focus on combat skills and specific signs (quen). I've seen others play completely differently. Besides, I wouldn't include or exclude a game as an RPG specifically if it has character builds or not. Role playing the character, in game choices, in-depth customization, exploration, crafting, alchemy, skill trees and more all combine to make a "role playing game".

I think you'd be very hard pressed to find many people call The Witcher 3 an RPG "lite".

I don't think I am trying to correct Shinobi. He also didn't leak the game, he said it would be pushed back.
I'm never one to toot my own horn but I was the first person to even talk about the game more than 2 years ago, before it had an official title: https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/472083605326684161

I was speaking about The Witcher. It very much has character builds. For example my build was a tank with a focus on combat skills and specific signs (quen). I've seen others play completely differently. Besides, I wouldn't include or exclude a game as an RPG specifically if it has character builds or not. Role playing the character, in game choices, in-depth customization, exploration, crafting, alchemy, skill trees and more all combine to make a "role playing game".

I think you'd be very hard pressed to find many people call The Witcher 3 an RPG "lite".

I can't speak for other people. I can only speak for myself.

And I definitely feel that it's an RPG-Lite, because the way you're talking about playing, I could turn on my game right now and play like you, effectively. There's not much in the way of character builds. In the same way there isn't in Bloodborne compared to Dark Souls (play style is dictated by weapons).

It might be arbitrary, but it's a distinction I make. And that's not to say I disliked The Witcher obviously. It's probably my favourite game of the generation so far.

I'm never one to toot my own horn but I was the first person to even talk about the game more than 2 years ago, before it had an official title: https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/472083605326684161

I forgot about this, I do apologise. To both you and ShemhazaiX. But I will stand by my point that you having inside knowledge isn't really a factor here, because it's not your job to know every minute detail about every game out there. :p

If I was going to talk to you about Mass Effect, I think I'd expect you to know every detail about that, but that's another thing entirely.

Now that, that sounds exciting. So you can edit the outfits. Hmmmm.

The way I read it is that there are visual change outfits, as well as minor modifications/add-ons on top of the outfits that may or may not be visually changing.

The way I read it is that there are visual change outfits, as well as minor modifications/add-ons on top of the outfits that may or may not be visually changing.

I'm reading what I want to hear at the moment. Thinking of Monster hunter, I am hoping if you want the wrist guards to look like X, then you have to hunt the thing that looks like X, once you have elements of X you can apply them to the outfit.

I'm more on the pessimistic side. I'm thinking Horizon will have plenty of RPG mechanics on its own, but the deeper ones like individual armor pieces, branching dialogue options, etc found in more established RPGs will be reserved for a potential sequel. For all that Horizon appears to be doing quite well mechanics-wise, it's still GG's first RPG. I foresee parts of the game to be less mature than established RPG studios, but good enough on its own right.

Still my most hyped game by far. Everything I have seen so far just looks amazing. My major concern is that is will end too soon. I want put a 100 hours into this game! Hoping at least a solid 50 hours worth of good content. i wonder if they are consider adding major expansions via DLC.

I'm more on the pessimistic side. I'm thinking Horizon will have plenty of RPG mechanics on its own, but the deeper ones like individual armor pieces, branching dialogue options, etc found in more established RPGs will be reserved for a potential sequel. For all that Horizon appears to be doing quite well mechanics-wise, it's still GG's first RPG. I foresee parts of the game to be less mature than established RPG studios, but good enough on its own right.

I wanted branching dialogue, but I'd rather stick to single narrative rather than have it be crappy like Fallout 4 dialogue trees. I think I read that dialogue wheel will allow you to learn more about the world and possibly pick up additional quests so it still has some useful utility. Also I love the The Witcher 3, but sometimes the micro-management gets in the way of actually enjoying the game IMO and don't use most of the options available to me.. I'm OK with a more streamlined approach.

Top Bottom