• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have potions for elemental defense :p

+melee protection mods, anything else on the mod is a bonus.

I think the smart way to approach it is switching armor sets depending on what you are fighting. Instead of focusing on a jack of all trades set, boosting individual one seems a safe bet. Or just roll stealth and never get seen while taking over robots and having them fight for you.
Ah that's what I've been doing for a while now; using potions before fighting that is. I just wanted a change of wear after wearing the same armor for 20 hours now =)
Anyway, are you both playing on very hard? I feel like I'm demolishing everything on hard now

TsuWave

Haha. In all seriousness though, I wonder what other override properties they can add.

What mods are you using? What about other elemental defenses?

you're not really supposed to worry about "other elemental" defenses. this is what horizon does different from other rpg's and is something a lot of people have not gotten around to understanding just yet.

you are supposed to carry multiple armor sets modded for different scenarios.

for example: if you're going to fight a machine with ranged fire attacks you'd use the "carja blazon armor" suit with range mods because it gives both protection to fire and range attacks, and if right after that you see a stormbird, you gotta switch to "oseram sparkworker heavy" armor because of its shock protection then add mods that complement its stats and counter the stormbird's attacks. and so on.

I hope people aren't really sticking to one armor set trying to make it a jack of all trades, even though the "nora survivor heavy" armor gives protection against all elements its numbers are pretty low, you are supposed to spec different armor for different scenarios.

its the same with weapons.

Ah that's what I've been doing for a while now; using potions before fighting that is. I just wanted a change of wear after wearing the same armor for 20 hours now =)
Anyway, are you both playing on very hard? I feel like I'm demolishing everything on hard now

Yup started on very hard.

Once you get the shadow bows, heavy armor, good purple mods and unlock most skills, you can become a dino wrecking ball.

Found a very personal moment in the game.

Spoilers for just past 'the proving':
If you visit Rost's grave at your old home you can speak to him. And it seems like it's laid out with a few separate speeches to catch him up as you have progressed through the game. Since I was now near the end I could choose to 'go on' with the dialogue three times.

Yeah pretty cool! I went back four times, I never was too sure when to come back, the second time I got nothing at all but I was convinced that there should be more so I went back a third time after certain story quest and it worked.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
65 hours later, I've fully explored every single camp and enemy spawn spot, every obtainable item, as well as every collectable.

No more side quests either, and obviously lvl 50.

With that being said, time to continue the main story, which is the lvl 12 one 😂

mileS

So let me point one of the unsung heroes of game design in HZD... Saving. The abundance of save points means there is never one to far a way. They blend in with the environment. A single one button save option. No need to go in menus, unless for a manual save. More games could (and should) implement this.
Coming from Yakuza 0 (70hours in and still not done) the save system here seems like witchcraft. I love it.

Found a very personal moment in the game.

Spoilers for just past 'the proving':
If you visit Rost's grave at your old home you can speak to him. And it seems like it's laid out with a few separate speeches to catch him up as you have progressed through the game. Since I was now near the end I could choose to 'go on' with the dialogue three times.

I went straight back there
before I left the Embrace but I should go back again now that I've done some story stuff.

quest

Not Banned from OT
No tried hitting with fire arrows at the weak spots. Dont like how janky the aiming was while that boss was flying all over the place. Annoying fight AF.

Same here with the frustration of aiming with how fast the boss was. I just cheesed it found a building I could hide behind and slowly widdle him down. Like 75 fire arrows on the glowing areas. Really need a much better aim assist or lock on system. I was expecting a rpg not a extremely fast paced 3rd person shooter.

N° 2048

65 hours later, I've fully explored every single camp and enemy spawn spot, every obtainable item, as well as every collectable.

With that being said, time to continue the main story, which is the lvl 12 one 😂

LOL never change Yoshi <3

artsi

Coming from Yakuza 0 (70hours in and still not done) the save system here seems like witchcraft. I love it.

Yakuza is great but unfortunately has had maybe the crappiest save system ever since the third game, it always double saves using the PS3 / PS4's own UI and is slow af.

daveo42

Banned

I actually started on Normal and am thinking of bumping up to hard as it's become much easier to take down most things with little to no issue. I assume on harder difficulties you use far more traps as well early game? Seems stuff like corruption and override really help in breaking the game.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

With that being said, time to continue the main story, which is the lvl 12 one &#128514;
It's so easy to get lost just exploring things in this game.

platocplx

Began playing this game today. And i gotta say the combat is pretty much garbage, sorry that is just how it feels after coming from nioh and Zelda. Janky as all hell and so on. That fight against the corruptor was just a frustrating shit show.

Hope the game gets better because so far i dont see What the hype is for apart from pretty graphics.

Nah. Combat is pretty awesome, its more range based more than anything your spear is really for finishing blows.

Like for example fighting a sawtooth i stalk it lay down a trip caster to shock it, then switch to a fire arrow to hit its container, then do a crit hit, then reset myself to finish it off.

Combat is so varied and awesome especially when you go with certain weaknesses.

I can see where that battle is tough because you dont have much in your arsenal.

But man i love the variety of arrows and bombs etc you can use.

It's so easy to get lost just exploring things in this game.
SO EASY. especially when you get the map icons for diff collectibles.

Redders

Man this game.

Thought I'd do a quick jaunt up to the far north to a vantage point, end up battling a few
stalkers
before going up further and getting ambushed by the
stormbird
turns out there's
ruins
up there which I'll have a look at later.

Proper intense, ended up being a good 25 minutes or so rather than the 5 I thought it would be.

Zakalwe

Banned
Began playing this game today. And i gotta say the combat is pretty much garbage, sorry that is just how it feels after coming from nioh and Zelda. Janky as all hell and so on. That fight against the corruptor was just a frustrating shit show.

Hope the game gets better because so far i dont see What the hype is for apart from pretty graphics.

Combat in this game is incredible. What exactly is going wrong for you?

Same here with the frustration of aiming with how fast the boss was. I just cheesed it found a building I could hide behind and slowly widdle him down. Like 75 fire arrows on the glowing areas. Really need a much better aim assist or lock on system. I was expecting a rpg not a extremely fast paced 3rd person shooter.
Considering GG's previous game series.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

There are several abilities you can get very early on that give you bullet time during several actions like jumping, sliding and of course clicking the right stick while aiming and makes hitting weak spots on even fast enemies a pretty good breeze. There is also aim assist you can use if you need that extra bit of help. That said they've been pretty clear with their messaging in terms of what kind of game and what kind of RPG to expect from Horizon.

Skux

you're not really supposed to worry about "other elemental" defenses. this is what horizon does different from other rpg's and is something a lot of people have not gotten around to understanding just yet.

for example: if you're going to fight a machine with ranged fire attacks you'd use the "carja blazon armor" suit with range mods because it gives both protection to fire and range attacks, and if right after that you see a stormbird, you gotta switch to "oseram sparkworker heavy" armor because of its shock protection then add mods that complement its stats and counter the stormbird's attacks. and so on.

I hope people aren't really sticking to one armor set trying to make it a jack of all trades, even though the "nora survivor heavy" armor gives protection against all elements its numbers are pretty low, you are supposed to spec different armor for different scenarios.

Yeah, the game is designed to make sure you use your full arsenal. With armour especially it's best to min-max and add mods that further increase its resistance from a particular damage type. It's good fun to be able to laugh in the face of a snapmaw trying to freeze you and only taking chip damage.

Just as you exploit the elemental weaknesses of enemies with the appropriate weapon type, you need to protect yourself against their attacks with the appropriate defenses.

Corruption only affects them for a short period of time, but you can shoot the arrows from a distance (also from stealth) so you don't need to get close for overriding.

Personally, I don't over ride anything unless I need a mount. Corruption arrows FTW.

What armor/mods are you running? The health boost potion is pretty useful as you don't lose health when you're hit, just the overheal.

The biggest difference, aside from duration and range:

Overriding makes the machine friendly to yourself and hostile to your enemies.
Corrupting makes the machine hostile to everything.

Kaiken

Banned
Any tips as to what resources I can sell? I'm way over stocked on tons of shit

If it's only use is to sell for shards, get rid of them. I then look at my multiple stacks and shave them down by half, even more if it's a resource I barely use.

WarrenD

Nah, Nora armour and switch mods to boost the base stats. That and the Nora stealth with stealth mods for traversal and you're good to go.

Skux

- Any item that says it's only useful to sell for shards and to use for trading (such as Ancient relics), apart from items that you need to use to buy new weapons and armour, such as Machine Hearts for armour and Luminous/Crystal Braiding for weapons.

- Any massive excess of resource items (I find I always have heaps of Chillwater and each sells for 4 shards each)

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Hearts and Lenses. There's a vendor in the big village that sells those items if you need one and don't want to farm for it.

Can also get rid of extra herbs you have to make antidotes and resist potions since they're all over the map.

I played in fashion Horizon style, I only ever used the Silent outfit for its stats when I wanted to travel without being disturbed. Other than that I never really cared much for what they do, I just like to wear different outfits from time to time, the game seems pretty balanced to be able to use any outfit and don't feel greatly in disadvantage.

Skux

I played in fashion Horizon style, I only ever used the Silent outfit for its stats when I wanted to travel without being disturbed. Other than that I never really cared much for what they do, I just like to wear different outfits from time to time, the game seems pretty balanced to be able to use any outfit and don't feel greatly in disadvantage.

Now that you mention the fashion style, I hope they add an option to turn off helmets, even if it's just in cutscenes. They can look pretty silly at times.

Apocryphon

This is exactly right. I bought all of the armours and just switch them up depending on what I am going up against. It's a nice system.

Now that you mention the fashion style, I hope they add an option to turn off helmets, even if it's just in cutscenes. They can look pretty silly at times.

Not all of them but some do, there's this Oseram helmet that looks like a cushion, hilarious stuff.

95% of the outfits are hideous so I don't plan on using any of them lol

I really like most of the outfits, more than any other game. Maybe that's why I'm not a cloth designer.

Apocryphon

Dont like the feeling how Aloy controls and the aiming feels off. Also cant find any adjust to sensitivity

Definitely not. One of the biggest achievements with this game is the almost perfect fluid control you have over movement and aiming. Keep playing, hopefully you adjust to it.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I had no idea that you could override more than one machine at a time.

Definitely not. One of the biggest achievements with this game is the almost perfect fluid control you have over movement and aiming. Keep playing, hopefully you adjust to it.

The movement and fluidity and even ranged combat in Nioh feels like 10 times better. But maybe i can 'adjust' to it. Its not like i dont want to like the game. I am just not feeling it and its not gelling after almost 5hrs in.

Apocryphon

Zoba said:

Really? I like almost all of them. The only one I'm not keen on is the one with the exposed midriff. I would have liked it if the Shield Weaver Armour actually looked more futuristic when you were wearing it, but that's a minor gripe.

Do you just want to see her ass?

This game is visually fucking insane. It's not even just that it looks gorgeous but the amount of stuff it puts on screen puts other games to shame.

I just had a ridiculous fight outside of Cauldron Zeta. 2 behemoths, 2 long legs, 3 stalkers, 2 shell-wakers and a whole bunch of watchers.

Actually fucking nuts that it doesn't cripple the framerate and I'm just doing all sorts of crazy intense stuff while fighting them.

Holy shit. This game.

black070

The movement and fluidity and even ranged combat in Nioh feels like 10 times better. But maybe i can 'adjust' to it. Its not like i dont want to like the game. I am just not feeling it and its not gelling after almost 5hrs in.

Give it a bit more time, it just may click - it took a friend of mine a good few hours before he started gushing over it. If not, then oh well, it happens.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Not sure what feels off about it as you've been pretty vague on your complaints. There are several skills that make aiming easier by giving you a slow down time mechanic that can then be extended ever further. On top of that you can use aim assist to help make shots as well as use the focus to high light the weak spots of an enemy before taking them on. The one big thing Nioh has that Horizon doesn't is that it can be played in 60 fps.

I've said it before as have many others but this is probably one of the best controlling open world games I've ever played. Its tight, its fluid, and its responsive. I wish most open world games played half as well as Horizon.

Movement a fluidity is better in Nioh but it makes sense, it's a different kinda of game and it runs at 60fps. Horizon is probably one of the best in open world games in that regard (I mean compare it to The Witcher III... that's... complicated). Ranged combat is way better in Horizon than Nioh... that's a weird thing to say but it's also ok, ranged combat in Nioh is a side mechanic. Either way, completely different games.

ActWan

Just done the first
Cauldron
. The combat against the machines is so fucking good...I love every part of it and I love just fighting machines out in the world.
I can't wait to try and override the
Sawtooth
...I think I saw 2 hanging out near the
Cauldron
earlier :)
Too bad that the combat against humans is utter shite and they keep on putting it in the story...(which is really interesting and mysterious btw)

Zakalwe

Banned
Really? I like almost all of them. The only one I'm not keen on is the one with the exposed midriff. I would have liked it if the Shield Weaver Armour actually looked more futuristic when you were wearing it, but that's a minor gripe.

Do you just want to see her ass?

Why do you assume he wants them to be more sexual?

I agree, they don't need like great. I don't want more ass, though.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I would gladly pay my entire bank of 120k in order to get a nekkid Aloy.

Floody

I also just went with fashion over practicality, didn't really run into much trouble doing so playing on hard and very hard either, the resistant potions were much better than any mod anyways.

I just hate all the helmets, loved pretty much everything else about them though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom