• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
What is this black magic!?

Yeah I am constantly blown away by the details. One pass there was a horizontal mix of smoke/ash and snow blowing through a gap in the hills...just amazing (and of course, Aloy covers her eyes if you turn into the direction of the wind/particles).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is there some kind of resource stash or is there a way to get it higher than 100? If not can someone tell me are hearts useful or lens useful after you use them to get weapon or armor?
Just check the vendor to see what you need. There are no new weapons or armor after Meridian.

Side note, after doing the Queen's Gambit quest I ran into some rusted satellites... I thought I heard something interesting, like music but really creepy

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Cross post but I feel like this belongs in the OT as well..

Sooo. I was overriding some lancehorns when two were fighting and.... melded, into one entity.

All of the combatants instantly stopped fighting and just stared, friend and foe a like, frozen in place attempting to decipher what in the actual fuck was happening. Awesome moment.

C7FF98D0-2B5A-4AF1-BA7B-9AED6F406987_zpsedzl7mqv.jpg

God I love this game.

A2B03550-7C49-41DC-AD07-BA9F966D4389_zpsahwqpahi.jpg

Zackat

Lol, maybe, I mean Kojima and his team will most likely ask them about what they can with the engine during development and that will be shared internally for the sequel.

Kojima Amsterdam is a thing that is going to happen

https://www.guerrilla-games.com/read/decima

We couldn't be too concerned before, too busy making games. Besides, everybody knows that Naming Things is the number one problem in software design. But we found a new partner, and they were adamant about Doing This Right. And you need to have a name. Otherwise you can't announce it.

That partner is Kojima Productions, with whom we're sharing our engine, and collaborating on the future of it. It's been an incredible experience working with a team so stupendously brilliant, ridiculously creative and so much fun as they are for the past period of time.

There's a real connection between the teams in many levels and it's going to be so much fun making that closer and richer. Today we also announced that we're setting up a small outpost in the form of Kojima Amsterdam to make that work.

Interesting times ahead!

coastel

Started the game today after finishing fallout. I know it's been said way to many times but the game is simply on another level in 4k hdr. It's stunning and though I have not played much it just feels really polished, like well a 1st party game should. Can't wait to put more time into it.

Did you explode those canisters? on both undersides of the belly? They do a lot of damage but don't be close when they go off. My friend just texted me and said he killed it 'tremors style' with stealth and then planting mines followed by throwing a rock over where the mines were so it would surface...lol...love that.
Lol thats awesome. I use the canisters but they dont seem to inflict much damage...
Freeze it, then triple shot with hardpoint or tear arrows.

Also there's a weakpoint on its back that is basically impossible to miss when it dives.

I don't have hardpoint arrows, only tear and precision. .

vivekTO

I wonder if they outsourced the animations to different companies. I just did a side quest to capture prisoners and the lip sync on the character at the end was perfect. Yet on others it can be like talking to a ventriloquist dummy

R1Q6x0B.png

QUOTE=Kaako;231924584]I finally did it! I ascended onto the heavens and unlocked my flying mount:

https://youtu.be/5xbZQv0L7VE

Happy flying, good huntress.[/QUOTE]

Awesome!!

Staf

Man, the story in Mass effect have to be super-good or i'm gonna come out of that game disappointed. Horizon's story is incredible, it has spoiled me lol. It's Witcher 3/BG2 tier.

David___

Banned
Started this up a couple of hours ago. One of the first things I noticed is that the highest loot rarity a mob drops is shown on the icon above the corpse. God I love it already

JJShadow

The game decided to give me my first fox skin after 35 hours of playtime and countless fox kills. I must be the
un
luckiest guy ever

Skux

I wish there was a mechanic that increased damage the longer you pulled the bowstring. You can walk up to enemies and spam precision arrows so easily that it negates the need for close range weapons.

aristotle

I'm really jealous of this game on a creative level. GG has created a world with

1. An interesting female protagonist, not just in her marketable visual design but in her origin and her role within the world. Her design is also distinct enough to make a mark on the cosplay world, which as far as I'm concerned is as big a measure of success as it gets.

2. A world familiar enough to strike wonder, but different enough to allow creative freedom. My favorite areas of the game are the ruins of the city. I think the juxtaposition of tribal characters, futuristic machines, and modern (or in this case, ancient) ruins is really cool, and it doesn't ever step into ridiculousness because of how animalistic the machines are.

3. Antagonistic monsters that are scary in context, but not scary enough to miss the merchandise train. Designing an intimidating monster while still being marketable to children is very difficult. But I could easily see Horizon action figures and LEGO sets on store shelves. Once you get in kid's playrooms, you're set.

4. A depth of philosophical and scientific intrigue that gives the universe substance, which is paramount to a long lasting story.

5. A suite of melodies and sound effects that help define the tone and mood and hopefully imprint the game into everyone's memories.

It's got all the makings of a great tapestry. It just needs some of the wrinkles ironed out.

Kal

I need help!!! Trying to get a blazing sun on the
Ravager control trial - where you have to override 2 Ravagers and take out a Thunderjaw
. How do you do it? Last one needed for a trophy lol. Thanks! :)

Man, the story in Mass effect have to be super-good or i'm gonna come out of that game disappointed. Horizon's story is incredible, it has spoiled me lol. It's Witcher 3/BG2 tier.
Ikr, ME:A is nowhere close to Horizon's graphics, hopefully the story and gameplay is good or I'll get bored of it. If it does things right like Horizon - I'll be happy with my purchase and probably platinum it as well

Ravager control trial - where you have to override 2 Ravagers and take out a Thunderjaw

Here's how I did it:

1) Have the upgrade to sprint quietly.
2) Slide down right-most rope and run toward ravager on the right.
3) Override it.
4) Run counter-clockwise and do the same to the second.
5) Use two tearblast arrows, one on each disc launcher gun on the Thunderjaw, to knock them off.
6) Use ropecaster to tie thunderjaw down
7) Use disc launchers for massive damage, and then exploit its weaknesses.

You may have to shoot some watchers in the eye as some of them will try to attack you while you're attacking the thunderjaw, and that will set you back on time. A zoomed in time-slowing focus on a watcher's eye will help you kill them but not waste too much time doing so.

This was actually easier for me than the "kill frozen robots" one which is still kicking my ass.

override the two Ravagers use Terablast arrows on the Thunderjaws cannons then blast him with his own weapons. (worked for me 30 min ago)

Footos22

One r2 attack will knock it on its ass long ebough to override it. Then circle round and grab the other one. Was one of the easier trials actually.

22. You're probably missing the one I also missed, '
An acquired Taste
'.

You can buy them from any Meridian or western merchant after beating the
Sunfall
main story mission.
Thanks. Yeah I just got that quest done. Now just have to get all these Shadow Outfits. I went to Meridian but was only able to buy 2 of them

Jamaro85

Question about Olin for those who have arrived at and left Meridian:

In his apartment where you push the crate of ingots to break the hatch, you can see an opening on the second level that would be behind the closed doors. Is it possible to drop down to that area? I've tried several times to no avail and am thinking the answer is no, but am thinking it may be possible if they have it open like that.

Edit: Tried it a couple more times, and with the physics of how you are allowed to move midair I'm pretty sure the answer is no! Still, I can't be the only person who has wondered/tried this =P

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Stuck on a late game quest and need a hint
I'm at Gaia Prime and just found Dr. Sobek's office and had the cut scene where Aloy scans them. What next? I am not sure where to go and feel I'm missing something obvious.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Just started the game, easily the best controls of all the open world games i've played.
Lovin' it.

Kal

It worked! Thanks everyone - especially Footos22; didn't realise how powerful R2 was against them! And I've already finished the game haha! :)

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Just got the platinum trophy; this was actually fun and didn't really feel like a chore compared to other games. Got both Nioh & this plat within the same day almost lol.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So I must say the games story does a marvelous job of giving you a one two punch concerning [late game spoilers]
the backstory behind Aloy's birth and the fact all the human kids were basically stuck in the child quarters until they ran out of food being taken by robots that couldn't handle them as they got older. That was some depressing shit and then Aloy exits to all the Nora freaking out over her return and treating her like some kind of chosen one. Wasn't expecting to actually feel angry over that, it could have been some kind of golden age but then got all kinds of fucked up.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Screw it - just stole all my hearts, lenses, bones and skins. Now have lots of space for trinkets and ammo ingredients.

Have a bunch of bows, slings etc and all the armours I think I'll ever need

BeeDog

Had some free time today and decided to pick up some of the main quests. Damn, despite the fact that a gazillion lore notes are found in the same room, the actual story that's presented is excellent, and the voiced data entries are pretty damn cool.

(big main quest spoilers)
Getting to the Zero Dawn facility and getting captured by Helis was excellent, and the spectacle of Sylens rescuing you from the Sun-Ring was such a dope-ass Rome/Gladiator move I almost fistpumped.

Oh, and my assumptions about the back story and the Zero Dawn project were completely off. I assumed that Zero Dawn was gonna be some kind of super-weapon to bring down mankind while fighting the robots so as to kill of the biomass for them.

Finally, one thing I really like is that the questions you/Aloy can pose to other NPCs are relevant and stuff you, as the player, actually wonder in many scenarios. Great writing in this one, and
Sylens
is awesome.

Posted this in another thread but I really wish we got to see more herd like behaviors from the machines, especially the Tallnecks. This is just fucking cool.

5b224d25df6efb44659177e23e422eb2.gif

fdd9bb44cf861d14bf6a02c8e089574b.gif

I read that GG didn't do this at first because of framerate concerns, but they were able to address the issue.

jamsy

Stuck on a late game quest and need a hint
I'm at Gaia Prime and just found Dr. Sobek's office and had the cut scene where Aloy scans them. What next? I am not sure where to go and feel I'm missing something obvious.
I believe there's a path up you have to jump up to get to and then you keep going.

I still can't find the Shadow Outfits...wth
I go to Meridian and look at all the merchants but they only have 2 Shadow outfits for sale. I have 3 shadow outfits but it only says 1 in the Game Progression menu...are all of the Shadow Outfits purple Very Rare? How do I get them?

Yo, Gaf.

I've only just met up with
War Chief Sona for the first time
. Currently rocking my starting bow, tripcaster and ropecaster - so only stun damage at the moment.

My question is, should I be buying War Bows with tear damage this early on? Tear arrows are damn expensive; and I've heard hardpoint arrows are better anyhow. Should I just wait it out a little?

Tanx!

danowat

Banned
OK, so I am still only 10hrs in, but how do I make combat less bullet spongy?

Arrows barely dent mechs without chucking tons at them, even firing fire at blaze canisters only takes about 25% off the health bar, and other parts take tons of arrows to break, even precision or tear blast arrows, I fought 3 tramplers and I felt like it took an age to defeat even one of them .

What am I doing wrong? do I need better weapon mods?

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
The armor detail in this game is out of control.

The armour in this game is brilliant. I've bought all the purple/heavy outfits now, and I just can't decide which's my favourite. I switch them out frequently, depending on what elemental attack I'll be facing.

And the headpieces are bloody marvellous.

Is there anyway to turn off the yellow triangle with footsteps on it?

The quest marker? All you can do is uncheck your quests from the menu.

ISee

It isn't that hard with end game equipment if you follow some simple tips.
1.) Use the shield weaver armor and ignore all other machines.
2.) Use the rope caster to tie down the first ravager. This allows you to override it without having to be in stealth and saves precious time. Put handling mods on your shadow rope caster to improve its speed.
3.) Ignore everything else, run to the second ravager, tie him down and override him.
4.) Get the shadow war bow and put three ice enhancements on it. Put the ice status effect on the Thunderjaw. This way you and both of your ravagers will do increased damage.
5.) shoot of a disc weapon and kill the thunderjaw with it. keep putting the ice effect on it.

AtkO

OK, so I am still only 10hrs in, but how do I make combat less bullet spongy?

Arrows barely dent mechs without chucking tons at them, even firing fire at blaze canisters only takes about 25% off the health bar, and other parts take tons of arrows to break, even precision or tear blast arrows, I fought 3 tramplers and I felt like it took an age to defeat even one of them .

What am I doing wrong? do I need better weapon mods?

You have to hit the soft part of the robots to rally deal dmg and to do that, you need tear arrows or explosions. For example, I took down a Thunderjaw just by putting explosive traps around.

So yea, it will be spongy as long as you don't get tear arrows. My solution was to sneak-kill whatever I could and prey for the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom