• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I was sad when she met that one carja girl
who met with her shadow carja boyfriend on that island and then found out that he is is dead. When she asked Aloy if she knows that feeling she felt over that guy, too. And Aloy said something along the lines "I can't say I do".

Yep. That's a good example of how well written Aloy is, as a main character. It's a little thing, but they took the time to think of the little things and that makes a big impression in the end.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Busting the shells off shellwalkers shouldn't be as satisfying as it is, but it is.

They're so cute when they pick the shell up and have to hold it in place with one of their arms

..but on the other hand they're aggressive little fuckers so they need to die..

I don't know how far through I am. Been playing about 17 hours now and I've only really just got to Meridian and am now working through the side-missions in that region. I think I'm about level 28 and I've done all Cauldrons, Tallnecks and bandit camps. I have to say, I'm incredibly impressed by the writing and the themes it has been tackling so far. Not only is the diversity really great and it has a really interesting and surprisingly in-depth religion in Meridian, but last night I had to
talk a young woman out of committing suicide after her boyfriend was killed, and in another mission I had to help a man gain entry to a shrine so he could grieve his dead boyfriend
. I'm genuinely surprised by how good the writing is, how emphatic Aloy is and how it does a good job with mature themes. If they ever make another Killzone game please oh please keep John Gonzales on writing duty, because he could perhaps even make good of that series' awful storytelling!

who met with her shadow carja boyfriend on that island and then found out that he is is dead. When she asked Aloy if she knows that feeling she felt over that guy, too. And Aloy said something along the lines "I can't say I do".

Yeah, this is exactly it. Honestly, this was kind of like a eureka moment for me when I realised how good the writing in this game is. I followed her dad back to her to listen to their conversation, and it really sweet and touching.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
what is the best way to farm for echo shells? I need more tearblast arrows in my life, but I only have a few :(

If you check the inventory you'll find all resources have information columns telling you which machines drop them. Longlegs would be the easiest source of echo shells, looking at it's info.

Lifeline

Is the rope caster OP the entire game? It's so easy to kill machines with it. I just met my first machine bird thing and just kept using the ropecaster to keep it on the ground and then barraged it with fire arrows. As soon as the ropes break, I can easily just shoot new ones and when I ran out I just crafted more.

I don't think the bird hit me at all once I started using the ropecaster on it.

Then right next to the bird were the giant charging machines, they gave me a hard time in the beginning. But again, I just used the ropecaster and kept crafting more and keeping them tied down. Again, didn't take any damage.

poncle

Things I don't like in games:
- Open worlds
- Tribal settings
- Collectibles
- Resource gathering
- Fire, Ice, and Lightning trinity
- Listening to npcs

And yet I'm loving everything about this game, heck I'm even listening to every audio file.
Very impressive work, also considering this is the first open world game from Guerrilla. Really looking forward whatever they'll make next, not to mention Death Stranding too.

Mugenjin

I've been listening to the soundtrack and I stumbled upon this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A67c7P-9VWY

I never noticed it in-game but it sounds awesome. It's a mix of Deus Ex, Person of Interest and Batman: The Dark Knight. Do you guys think the devs recorded enough songs to use in a potential expansion/dlc?

I'm pretty sure this song is played when
Elisabet outlines the true Zero Dawn project (Gaia and subordinate functions) in a holo presentation.

bombshell

Is the rope caster OP the entire game? It's so easy to kill machines with it. I just met my first machine bird thing and just kept using the ropecaster to keep it on the ground and then barraged it with fire arrows. As soon as the ropes break, I can easily just shoot new ones and when I ran out I just crafted more.

I don't think the bird hit me at all once I started using the ropecaster on it.

Then right next to the bird were the giant charging machines, they gave me a hard time in the beginning. But again, I just used the ropecaster and kept crafting more and keeping them tied down. Again, didn't take any damage.

Yeah, ropes make fights with all the big machines very trivial. However, they are expensive in wire resources to craft, though it's easy to buy those since money isn't really a problem.

Bishop89

not that far into the game (Just a bit after becoming a seeker) and the game is phenomenal and extremely well made.

Its day and night difference between the last game i was playing, far cry primal. I got so exhausted at that game, yet I feel I can play horizon forever without getting bored. Its really well made and the combat situations are off the charts

Lifeline

Yeah, ropes make fights with all the big machines very trivial. However, they are expensive in wire resources to craft, though it's easy to buy those since money isn't really a problem.

I didn't even know you could buy resources, but I still have more than enough to craft tons of them. I hope they nerf the ropecaster in future games/DLC.

I think not showing us how long till it breaks would help. Along with machines being able to break them more easily the more times they get tied down by it.

Morts

I did a mission last night where
Sylens implied it was the point of no return
and I found out
what Project Zero Dawn really is.
Turns out it wasn't the point if no return. Will I know when I should finish up all the side stuff before doing a story mission?

I did a mission last night where
Sylens implied it was the point of no return
and I found out
what Project Zero Dawn really is.
Turns out it wasn't the point if no return. Will I know when I should finish up all the side stuff before doing a story mission?

Yeah, you'll know.

MaKTaiL

I've been watching some LP's of Horizon on Youtube and... oh my god. How can people be so stupid and not look at obvious information on screen? Most struggle with basic combat and fail to read even the BIG TUTORIAL MESSAGE that's right in front of them. Now I understand why GG decided to display the "Press R1 while the reticule is over tracks to Tag them." everytime because people are stupid and will probably forget that's a thing 2 minutes after. I just saw one guy run around for 15 minutes trying to find Olara (one of the first side quest givers) and failed to look up at the exclamation mark on top of the rocks and another 15 minutes trying to find a way up (going right past the climbing yellow lines).

They're so cute when they pick the shell up and have to hold it in place with one of their arms

The first time I saw that happened I was amazed. It's so awesome the little details that Guerilla put into the game.

Question for people: I've noticed that sometimes on the bigger machines my ropecaster ropes break immediately. I fought a Snapmaw last night and it took about 15 heavy ropes before it actually went down because a lot of the ropes wouldn't hold. Am I doing something wrong with how I'm using it? I just point it at the robot and shoot and expect it to tie down.

KodaRuss

I finished the story and it's unequivocally the best science fiction story in any video game ever.

While I love Horizon's story so far and I have not finished it yet, have you played Soma?

Not sure if any game will top that for me.

Is there any way to know what side missions I am missing? I am close to the end of the game and I dont want to miss any before I finish it

bosseye

Finally took out my first Thunderjaw. Took ages! Partly because all the other robots nearby decided to get involved so I have the Thunderjaw, a number of Watchers and a some scrappers all trying to do me in.

Whats a good strategy then? I take off both disc launchers and the jaw cannons and whatever else is on the top with tear hardpoints or tearblast arrows. Stuff underneath I have a real hard time hitting, and the heart is tough to hit too when you have aim as poor as mine. I pinned the git down with ropes which helped.

..but on the other hand they're aggressive little fuckers so they need to die..
I actually think the Grazers are cute.
Am I the bad guy by killing the robots since their original intention was to terraform the earth or are these things following Hades' fuck shit up plan?
Finally took out my first Thunderjaw. Took ages! Partly because all the other robots nearby decided to get involved so I have the Thunderjaw, a number of Watchers and a some scrappers all trying to do me in.

Whats a good strategy then? I take off both disc launchers and the jaw cannons and whatever else is on the top with tear hardpoints or tearblast arrows. Stuff underneath I have a real hard time hitting, and the heart is tough to hit too when you have aim as poor as mine. I pinned the git down with ropes which helped.
Freeze him as well for maximum damage.

TheStig88

My aim is pretty awful too, so I just grabbed their disc launchers after I blew them off and unloaded on them, if you haven't tried that already. You don't need to hit a weakspot for them to chunk their health. And freeze them if you have the means. Freeze is invaluable.

bombshell

Question for people: I've noticed that sometimes on the bigger machines my ropecaster ropes break immediately. I fought a Snapmaw last night and it took about 15 heavy ropes before it actually went down because a lot of the ropes wouldn't hold. Am I doing something wrong with how I'm using it? I just point it at the robot and shoot and expect it to tie down.

When I played I thought it was that the ropes couldn't attach to the ground in some places, so I moved around until it succeeded, but I was never convinced it was actually that.

I read someone on here say that it's when you shoot a rope at a tearable armor part, so it's tearing it off instead of attaching to the machine. I haven't looked into testing if that's what actually is happening.

SCB3

63 hours, all done apart from the 2 bandit camps, about 5 metal flowers and the Trials left, level 43 now, great game, was completely unsure of it until my first Thunderjaw kill

The first time I saw that happened I was amazed. It's so awesome the little details that Guerilla put into the game.

When I played I thought it was that the ropes couldn't attach to the ground in some places, so I moved around until it succeeded, but I was never convinced it was actually that.

I read someone on here say that it's when you shoot a rope at a tearable armor part, so it's tearing it off instead of attaching to the machine. I haven't looked into testing if that's what actually is happening.
That is what is happening. To avoid it as much as possible only put pure handling mods on the ropecaster, don't put any tear on it.

Paertan

I finished the story and it's unequivocally the best science fiction story in any video game ever.

Read the Killzone story. No need to play the games. Sadly Guerilla did a pretty bad job of telling the Killzone story in the games but the story is really great. They can really write amazing story. Glad to see they actually managed to tell it this time. But the pacing fo the audiologs could have been better. Found myself stadning in a room full of audiologs many times waiting for one to end so I could scan the next one.

Probably no the best play to read it but it is something: http://killzone.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

SCB3

Read the Killzone story. No need to play the games. Sadly Guerilla did a pretty bad job of telling the Killzone story in the games but the story is really great. They can really write amazing story. Glad to see they actually managed to tell it this time. But the pacing fo the audiologs could have been better. Found myself stadning in a room full of audiologs many times waiting for one to end so I could scan the next one.

Probably no the best play to read it but it is something: [/QUOTE] I'd agree, Killzone has... the first game are bad games to play through

NXGamer highlighted one of the most amazing details ever made in video games:

The dynamic weather system brings snow or rainstorms which create puddles that evaporate gradually when the sun comes back:

pBFp2sr.gif

I am so amazed. I have never seen such detail occuring real time in any video game before. I expected Kojima San to do such detail in MGS5 since he is fond of such details but he didn't. Now he has no reason not to do it since he uses this same outstanding engine.

TheStig88

Lol cheased those 2 rockbreakers in corrupt zone
I legit slumped in my chair the moment I realized what I was facing in that zone. I didn't have to cheese it though, the game did that for me. Behemoth wandered by at the perfect time and I guess he hated rockbreakers as much as I do, because he proceeded to demolish one while I handled the other. That was neat.

Yeah uhhh it's worth the 60$ and then some. Got my platinum yesterday and was legit sad I was done with everything in the game. About an hour later I got back on and started doing random errands and side quests that I still had. I've never done that for a game before. I love this game so much. This is how you do gaming I will literally go out day 1 and buy the dlc. Without thinking twice that's how hooked I am. Seriously can't wait for more

danowat

Banned
I have a budget and still playing through Zelda on the Switch.

But thanks for the condescension.

Wasn't meant to come across that way, it was more of a flippant comment, because without any further information it seemed, to me, an odd thing to say.

"I am very excited to play this critically well received piece of media, but not enough to pay the recommended retail price", just comes over as a bit of a slight.

It's worth full price, especially when you consider the bilge EA are pedalling for the same price, games like this should be supported.

KevinG

Yeah uhhh it's worth the 60$ and then some. Got my platinum yesterday and was legit sad I was done with everything in the game. About an hour later I got back on and started doing random errands and side quests that I still had. I've never done that for a game before. I love this game so much. This is how you do gaming I will literally go out day 1 and buy the dlc. Without thinking twice that's how hooked I am. Seriously can't wait for more

I've no doubt it's worth $60, but I promised my wife I'd wait for the first price drop. I've had a tendency in the past to straight up buy a game new, but then not have time to invest and play it before I could have bought it for half the price. If I can stretch our budget through the entire year and not blow it all at the beginning of 2017, that'd be cool. Haha.

I'm just super stoked that the game is getting such high praise.

Wasn't meant to come across that way, it was more of a flippant comment, because without any further information it seemed, to me, an odd thing to say.

"I am very excited to play this critically well received piece of media, but not enough to pay the recommended retail price", just comes over as a bit of a slight.

It's worth full price, especially when you consider the bilge EA are pedalling for the same price, games like this should be supported.

Haha. Apologies on my side too, I tend to read more snark into conversations here on GAF than snark that was actually intended.

If I finish with Zelda before the price drops, I'll probably give in and grab it. Been an awesome year for gaming so far, especially considering I hardly bought anything last year.

Falchion

Did that quest last night
and it really stuck out to me too. Kind of sad just since she's never had a real connection with anyone but Rost. Also, I felt bad for the girl and when she hinted at killing herself I was like OH SHIT gotta do something! Thankfully Aloy picked up on it too and got her talking with her dad. Gave me major flashbacks to Life is Strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom