• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

Alpende

This should be it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0eaGRcdwpo

It's a bit more then just about HZD, this is from a serious documentary series that deals with serious issues in the world and society. Still, some very cool shots and there were scenes not in the actual game like a fight with a Thunderjaw between buildings and some sort of temple.

What the hell? It's a Dutch documentary, yet I can't see it in the Netherlands. The uploader hasn't made it available. Weird.

methane47

Beat the game yesterday.... And ofcourse platinumd as well.

What an amazing game...
I absolutely loved the amount of polish that was put into the game...
With a terrific story as well...admittedly the tribal conflict was much less interesting to me than the deeper story... still it was an amazing romp.

Total play time 50 hrs...
One thing I found out 43 hours into the game... Did you guys know that the mounts automatically follow the roads/paths if you do not touch the analogue stick? Means you can travel just by pressing the X button every few seconds..

I loved that so many things about traversing the world just happen automatically without having to be explained.

All around amazing experience.

PS: Can i also say, it was an absolute pleasure to see so many people of color in the game... It was Jarring sometimes actually, I cant think of another game where such a huge percentage of the NPCs are non-white...

Mubrik

Beat the game yesterday.... And ofcourse platinumd as well.

What an amazing game...
I absolutely loved the amount of polish that was put into the game...
With a terrific story as well...admittedly the tribal conflict was much less interesting to me than the deeper story... still it was an amazing romp.

Total play time 50 hrs...
One thing I found out 43 hours into the game... Did you guys know that the mounts automatically follow the roads/paths if you do not touch the analogue stick? Means you can travel just by pressing the X button every few seconds..

I loved that so many things about traversing the world just happen automatically without having to be explained.

All around amazing experience.

PS: Can i also say, it was an absolute pleasure to see so many people of color in the game... It was Jarring sometimes actually, I cant think of another game where such a huge percentage of the NPCs are non-white...
yup. it's in the settings. very welcomed tbh.

what i don't like is not being able to play background music from usb while playing the game, sometimes i just wander around aimlessly trying to activate all camp fire, banuk figures and just random exploring. i would have like if i could listen to my music in the background.

Mojoraisin

Finished it a week ago or so. Absolutely amazing story and game mechanics. I usually never look for enemies to fight off the roads etc, but fighting the robo dinos was just so much fun. It's one of the best games I've played the last decade.

Rien

Jelly Belly
While having 30+ hours in Persona 5 and loving the game a lot i have to admit that i miss Horizon and think about it on a daily base

MarcusB

Banned
Need some help. Finished the game at last. Done everything, but miss that one hidden trophy:
All Allies Joined
. How do I get it? Did the last battle again but didn't help. I'm panicking!
I
did kill Nil
and didn't do all the quests before the end game battle. I've read that this shouldn't influence getting this trophy.
Thanks!

Edit: just after posting this
I went looking on the map for places I hadn't been to yet. And hey Presto: discovered a new errand. This might be the one I need.

FirewalkR

75 hours got me to the end and platinum. What a fantastic game with a phenomenal science fiction story. Probably the best science fiction I've seen in a game, and great stuff irrespective of format, with a powerful, emotional story. Extremely absorbing world and excellent combat/gameplay. I was playing Zelda before and loving it but kind of randomly switched on my PS4 and decided to give Horizon a try earlier than I was going to (was gonna play it after Zelda originally). I just couldn't stop until I'd finished and now I'll be eagerly waiting for more stories in this world.

Need some help. Finished the game at last. Done everything, but miss that one hidden trophy:
All Allies Joined
. How do I get it? Did the last battle again but didn't help. I'm panicking!
I
did kill Nil
and didn't do all the quests before the end game battle. I've read that this shouldn't influence getting this trophy.
Thanks!

Well you have to do several quests
before the final battle and talk with your allies before it starts to get the trophy, I mean... you have to make allies, you won't make allies if you don't meet them first. :p

Edit: Re-read, I get you did every side quest after finishing the game, no problem, you just have to
talk with your allies prior the battle, it's marked as two optional quests.

MarcusB

Banned
Well you have to do several quests
before the final battle and talk with your allies before it starts to get the trophy, I mean... you have to make allies, you won't make allies if you don't meet them first. :p

Edit: Re-read, I get you did every side quest after finishing the game, no problem, you just have to
talk with your allies prior the battle, it's marked as two optional quests.

I did talk to my allies before the battle but seemingly I didn't get all the allies.
. Just discovered a new errand :). Wasn't on the "list", but one I hadn't done.
Thanks for your help.

In regards to the current discussion above.
I really like how Nil is there at the end of the battle if you don't fight him. I hope he is canonically alive in the sequel.

So I've finally been able to dig really deep in to this game in the past couple weeks. At about level 41 now and REALLY loving it. I just have one minor complaint and one major one so far.

Minor:
Too many audio logs! Like, I'm totally cool with audio logs, and I love the extra context they give but there are way too many times where they pack like 3 - 5 together and they are not short. Then I get paranoid it will get cut off if I move even when there aren't a bunch around and I'm left standing around for long periods of time listening. Video games really need to figure out better ways of implementing this stuff.

Major:
Could they have not found a more elegant way to switch equipped weapons? There are so many weapons with specific utility for specific situations you might come across that you'll often switch around your arsenal even within a given fight depending. Why am I then forced to go in to the start menu, toggle over to the inventory slot, and equip whatever weapon I need? I really wish the game had some quick swapping through either loadouts, or just individual weapons. It really messes up the flow of combat having to go back to the menu.

Major:
Could they have not found a more elegant way to switch equipped weapons? There are so many weapons with specific utility for specific situations you might come across that you'll often switch around your arsenal even within a given fight depending. Why am I then forced to go in to the start menu, toggle over to the inventory slot, and equip whatever weapon I need? I really wish the game had some quick swapping through either loadouts, or just individual weapons. It really messes up the flow of combat having to go back to the menu.

I think the way The Last of Us handled weapon switching was pretty excellent and well-balanced, but Horizon also has ammo type switching to consider. Maybe they could've given us two weapon rings instead of one, but I feel like the existing system works pretty well most of the time without feeling cluttered.

So, yeah, I think this might be considered a blasphemy, but I think this world and its gameplay are begging for some manner of co-op.

Maybe a separate limited mode or DLC, as it can be pretty difficult to get story and lore across in co-op.

But man, hunting beasts with a buddy? That could be pretty cool.

But whatever Guerrilla wants to do next, I'm on board. I think Horizon might have just become my GOTF.

Falchion

That is very good to know. I hate missable trophies. Especially ones in gargantuanly long open world games like this.

Yeah they did a really good job with the trophy design because nothing is missable so you can play through however you want and get everything.

IH6A8DS.gif

ghibli99

Never seen that Stormbird attack either.

Getting close to the end. Have almost all of the trophies at this point, so just need to put the finishing touches on the story. Visuals and combat have been consistently excellent throughout, but I can't say I've been thrilled with much else, especially the story and manner in which so much of it is told (audiologs and endless datapoints)... the history is more compelling than the modern day story, but that might change as I head into the game's end arc. Inventory management becomes a real pain in the ass too. Just let me carry every item and limit how much of each item I can hold, especially when it comes to essential items I need for crafting ammo. Traversal, Witcher vision, foraging, animal hunting... these systems are quite forgettable, derivative, and simplistic.

That being said, the game remains fun to play with machine battles almost always being exciting, which is ultimately what it's all about.

Beat Horizon yesterday and it's easily my GOTY so far. Heck it's one of the best games I've played on PS4, period. My favorite thing about Horizon is the world...I often found myself walking around just taking in the breathtaking scenery. Aloy is a strong, likeable lead and I can't wait to see what GG does next!

Edit: Took me about 45 hours to complete

I think the way The Last of Us handled weapon switching was pretty excellent and well-balanced, but Horizon also has ammo type switching to consider. Maybe they could've given us two weapon rings instead of one, but I feel like the existing system works pretty well most of the time without feeling cluttered.

The ammo types are most definitely why there aren't more slots on the wheel. I think a decent solution would be to let you put more than one weapon on each wheel slot, then while holding L1, you could toggle through weapons by pressing towards that slot and pressing R1.

Zackat

damn Sunhi. Does the stormbird only do that when you knock off every possible piece? Getting all the pieces on the wings is a pain in the ass and idk how you had the patience to do it if so lol

bebop242

Just hit level 18 and loving it. Going from Yakuza to Nier to this has been the best run of gaming I've had since the PS1 days.

damn Sunhi. Does the stormbird only do that when you knock off every possible piece? Getting all the pieces on the wings is a pain in the ass and idk how you had the patience to do it if so lol

No, it depends on a certain amount of parts torn off afaik. I've usually had the Stormbird do the aoe attack after losing a little over half its health.

Zackat

Just hit level 18 and loving it. Going from Yakuza to Nier to this has been the best run of gaming I've had since the PS1 days.

this has probably been one of the most memorable stretches of great games I have played.

Persona 5 is gonna take me forever to beat with how my schedule is now lol
No, it depends on a certain amount of parts torn off afaik. I've usually had the Stormbird do the aoe attack after losing a little over half its health.

ahh that makes sense. I am guessing you have to remove a few more pieces than I normally did killing them with brute force.

Is this anyone else's favorite track from the game?

First time it played it instantly caught my attention. Sounds like something you'd hear in the Witcher games.

I love this song, I love Aloy's Theme, and I ESPECIALLY love this song, which is used perfectly in the game.

I don't exactly know how to treat songs from a scene that would be a spoiler but the song doesn't spoil anything, so I'll just say this: the song I linked is form a very important moment in the game, so if you want to experience the music at the same time as the scene, don't click it!

I hadn't even started attacking the Stormbird when it did that move, it's just a part of it's attack it does when on the ground and still has the ability to use it's electricity.

Not

Banned
I love this song, I love Aloy's Theme, and I ESPECIALLY love this song, which is used perfectly in the game.

I don't exactly know how to treat songs from a scene that would be a spoiler but the song doesn't spoil anything, so I'll just say this: the song I linked is form a very important moment in the game, so if you want to experience the music at the same time as the scene, don't click it!

Ohhhh yeah. For sure. Good call

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
How far am I from the end of the game? Mission:
The Mountain That Fell

Also, is there a point of no return for completing side quests and other missions?

How far am I from the end of the game? Mission:
The Mountain That Fell

Also, is there a point of no return for completing side quests and other missions?

The game will explicitly tell you when you hit the point of no return. However, as stated above, once the final mission is complete, you can keep playing. So just play as you like. You can do everything in one playthrough.

Falchion

While having 30+ hours in Persona 5 and loving the game a lot i have to admit that i miss Horizon and think about it on a daily base

Tell me about it. I keep checking this thread every day because I miss this game being part of my daily routine.

So, yeah, I think this might be considered a blasphemy, but I think this world and its gameplay are begging for some manner of co-op.

Maybe a separate limited mode or DLC, as it can be pretty difficult to get story and lore across in co-op.

But man, hunting beasts with a buddy? That could be pretty cool.

But whatever Guerrilla wants to do next, I'm on board. I think Horizon might have just become my GOTF.

I know how you feel. I'd love to play co-op in this game. But I wouldn't want anything else to suffer just to add co-op. So I completely understand when people are against it. As a seperate mode that doesn't interfere with main story and isn't shoehorned in.
I would have loved a separate limited co-op story mode in TLoU as well.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The DLC should star everyone's favorite serial bandit killer as he goes about his job with a sunny disposition and stops to smell the roses between killing people.

Top Bottom