• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

Melchiah

Nice :) Here it is:

C982pNSXUAICev3.jpg:large

Beer & cigarettes! I like Guerrilla even more.

Yeah it's possible, works with Uncharted 4 too as the breakout box mixes the 3D audio
So I tried it with two different headphones (not earphones though) and while I did get a nice result from the mix (and 3D audio showed as enabled) it did not give me the same level of audio space as the Platinum headsets did. Specifically, I couldn't really hear things that were above me and below me as if they were actually above or below me. It may have to do with the fact that when in VR, you are moving your head around and thus the virtualization and stereo processing of 3D audio is more apparent in that case, which may differ from how it is implemented for playing on a 2D screen. Or it could just be that both of my headphones are stereo, and not "surround".

I also tried it with Uncharted 4, which had the same issue though offered a bunch of controls to tweak, such as output type, dynamic range, etc.

All this talk about ditching Aloy is insane. Did Sheperd nope out after ME1? Did Master Chief leave after Halo? Their stories could have finished there but you can tell another story with the same character. It honestly sounds like you just want to see Aloy written out.

All this talk about ditching Aloy is insane. Did Sheperd nope out after ME1? Did Master Chief leave after Halo? Their stories could have finished there but you can tell another story with the same character. It honestly sounds like you just want to see Aloy written out.

The comparisons are weak. Shephard is a character you define and is a stand in for yourself to react as you want to. The one time they tried to add something outside that and personal to Shephard as opposed to you, it fell flat on it's face (the whole kid thing in ME3). Master Chief is barely a character and was meant to be a blank slate for the player. Halo is a story not about MC's personal journey, but about uncovering the mysteries of that universe (something Horizon managed to pretty much do in one game). I feel like Horizon tells a singularly personal story of a woman discovering her mysterious past and the origins of her world. You can still tell more stories in that world and there are a couple more mysteries to uncover but I felt like they told a pretty damn complete story and that's a good thing. If this was a movie, I'd be perfectly happy and satisfied if it never had a sequel because the loose ends left are things I could totally live without being answered (
if not for the Sylens stinger lol
). It's not about wanting her written out.

Zackat

The comparisons are weak. Shephard is a character you define and is a stand in for yourself to react as you want to. The one time they tried to add something outside that and personal to Shephard as opposed to you, it fell flat on it's face (the whole kid thing in ME3). Master Chief is barely a character and was meant to be a blank slate for the player. Halo is a story not about MC's personal journey, but about uncovering the mysteries of that universe (something Horizon managed to pretty much do in one game). I feel like Horizon tells a singularly personal story of a woman discovering her mysterious past and the origins of her world. You can still tell more stories in that world and there are a couple more mysteries to uncover but I felt like they told a pretty damn complete story and that's a good thing. If this was a movie, I'd be perfectly happy and satisfied if it never had a sequel because the loose ends left are things I could totally live without being answered (

If they don't have more Aloy for the sequel I will riot.

Nice Sunhi, hope you had a good time :)

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The DLC should just start with
Sylens, lamp in hand walking to the along the Metal Titan's tentacle when you take control

Venture

I don't know about
Sylens
as a playable character. He seems more the intellectual type. His whole thing seems to be getting others to do the fighting for him.

Melchiah

I don't know about
Sylens
as a playable character. He seems more the intellectual type. His whole thing seems to be getting others to do the fighting for him.

It would be kinda similar as playing as
Drake's brother
for me. It wouldn't be as appealing, since I don't have much sympathy for the character.

televator

I just started playing this game, and I'm a couple of quests in. Holly hell, the graphics are amazing! Im on base PS4 and I'm still blown away. I really wish I could play in HDR so I could more easily pick out everything.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Took down my first Thunderjaw, alongside my first Behemoth for good measure, and some fucking NPC got the very last blow in so I didn't get any XP

Just finished the game and got the platinum, the last mission was very enjoyable, though I got the
shield weaver armour
just before it which basically made me invincible.

The game is just a tonne of fun, I enjoyed the world, weapons, characters and enemies. Aloy is a really good character and I'm not just saying that because I like her eyebrows. Guerrilla deserves so much praise for this game and it pains me to think that with all the amazing games this year this game may not receive any GotY awards.

Horizon doesn't need a sequel, but I would definitely come back to more from Aloy and the world they have built.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Imo, right before the last mission,
the shield weaver armour should have been a story element, so that the endgame is tailored around you having it. It would be fun to have NPCs marvel at her invincibility and thus raise her goddess status even more.

Imo, right before the last mission,
the shield weaver armour should have been a story element, so that the endgame is tailored around you having it. It would be fun to have NPCs marvel at her invincibility and thus raise her goddess status even more.

Aloy definitely didn't want that sort of attention, though it could have been a one off mandatory thing for the mision with her reluctantly using it for its necessity and making the mission more challenging to fit.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Wow so cool for sunshi man..
GG are the best. Its a great gesture to do stuff like that and a great change for Sunshi to visit our capital.

Enjoy it mate!!

Finished it few days ago. It was really beyond my expectation. Had some issues with combat, depth of RPG elements, not being involved in dialogue tree and changing story by my own decisions, and some basic problems with inventory system. But after all, Horizon Zero Dawn was such a decent game! The story, music, gameplay, graphics (jaw-dropping as hell), nice quests and design of robots! Going to hunt platinum as soon as I can.

Well done Guerrilla Games. I just hope they'll make next Horizon more RPG-ish.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Horizon really is perfect game to visit now and then to kill some time and mess around with the robots. The combat is timeless for me like a souls game.

Melchiah

Just finished the game and got the platinum, the last mission was very enjoyable, though I got the
shield weaver armour
just before it which basically made me invincible.

The game is just a tonne of fun, I enjoyed the world, weapons, characters and enemies. Aloy is a really good character and I'm not just saying that because I like her eyebrows. Guerrilla deserves so much praise for this game and it pains me to think that with all the amazing games this year this game may not receive any GotY awards.

Horizon doesn't need a sequel, but I would definitely come back to more from Aloy and the world they have built.

That's exactly why it's all the more puzzling, that some want her to be replaced.

Playsage

Glad to hear Sunhi is enjoying his trip at GG

I hope they let you tease something in the next days ;)

The only way I could see them introducing a whole new protagonist in the sequel is by making Aloy an important background character for all the future events in her world
kinda like Elisabeth is for her story

Humdinger

100+ hours in. I've posted repeatedly about how much I love this game, and I still do -- I enjoyed all 100+ hours -- but here are two complaints:

1. There is supposed to be some kind of romantic connection with the young black Brave (I forget his name), but it never feels real to me. She talks to him as if there's this big undercurrent of feeling, but I don't think the writers developed that relationship enough to make it feel substantial at all.

2. I hit the level cap when I was only two-thirds of the way through the story. It was kind of deflating, to know I couldn't level any further. One of the things I like about RPGs is the sense of continual progression, getting better. Also, it eliminated a lot of the fun of walking through the world. I didn't use fast travel at all, just walked, and it was rewarding -- not only because of the scenery, but because I would engage with the beasties, and earn XP for beating them. Now there's little incentive to do that, and so I just run past them or occasionally fast travel, which I think has reduced the immersion a bit.

It's not a huge deal, though, because 1) I don't really care about unlocking the few remaining skills (e.g., Fighting Back or Scavenger), and 2) I still pick up Skill points from the main quest occasionally. Still, I wish they'd kept the cap unlocked.

I've played about 10 hours of this so far, my impressions:

1. Combat is fun, if not super deep or anything. At its best, chaining together tripwires, bombs and elemental arrows is great but it's TW3-esque in that it can devolve into a roll spamming fest at certain points. I know there's some rocks and posts you can climb on, but in the sequel I'd like a bigger emphasis on verticality or acrobatics. AI is okay overall. Human enemies are pretty poor though.

2. The setting is great, but the story hasn't really grabbed me yet. It hits quite a few predictable and cliche notes but it's fine so far, and I'm not too far in. Voice acting varies a lot in quality. Aloy is a very likeable protagonist but I'm not 100% convinced on her VA. You can tell lots of care has been put into the characters, as almost every NPC has a high-quality face. Levels above ME:A and probably TW3 too. Facial animations are a little off but still good overall.

3. Nothing to say on graphics other than that they're mind-blowing. The art direction is also superb and I really like the monster designs. If I had to nitpick I'd say the weather changes completely way too suddenly and it can be a little jarring, but that's barely a criticism. Runs great as well.

Overall I'd say I have it around an 8/10. It sounds like I'm down on it from the paragraphs here but honestly I'm just focusing more on the bad things because for their first foray into open-world games it does loads of things right. Reminds me a lot of the TW3 formula but story isn't on the same tier.

2. The setting is great, but the story hasn't really grabbed me yet. It hits quite a few predictable and cliche notes but it's fine so far, and I'm not too far in.

Dunno where you at through the main quest line, but assuming you're not bee-lining, you probably haven't hit the main plot bombs yet. They... change the scope and perspective of quite a few things about the story.

So I'm only 5 hours in but after playing Zelda..... This is better &#128556;

1. Combat is fun, if not super deep or anything. At its best, chaining together tripwires, bombs and elemental arrows is great but it's TW3-esque in that it can devolve into a roll spamming fest at certain points. I know there's some rocks and posts you can climb on, but in the sequel I'd like a bigger emphasis on verticality or acrobatics. AI is okay overall. Human enemies are pretty poor though.

2. The setting is great, but the story hasn't really grabbed me yet. It hits quite a few predictable and cliche notes but it's fine so far, and I'm not too far in. Voice acting varies a lot in quality. Aloy is a very likeable protagonist but I'm not 100% convinced on her VA. You can tell lots of care has been put into the characters, as almost every NPC has a high-quality face. Levels above ME:A and probably TW3 too. Facial animations are a little off but still good overall.

3. Nothing to say on graphics other than that they're mind-blowing. The art direction is also superb and I really like the monster designs. If I had to nitpick I'd say the weather changes completely way too suddenly and it can be a little jarring, but that's barely a criticism. Runs great as well.

Overall I'd say I have it around an 8/10. It sounds like I'm down on it from the paragraphs here but honestly I'm just focusing more on the bad things because for their first foray into open-world games it does loads of things right. Reminds me a lot of the TW3 formula but story isn't on the same tier.

Everything else is so much better then TW3 though

Soriku

Has anyone been able to find most datapoints and such on a first playthrough? I feel like they're too hidden or not obvious enough.

My point was a weaker character like MC being absent would have been a bad direction for Halo 2. They kind of half did it with the Arbiter and it wasn't entirely liked.

The point with Sheperd was he/she had a 'complete' story by the end of ME1. Yeah there were still the reapers but you can draw a parallel with Aloy. People are saying her arc is done but yet there's still just as much for her do as Sheperd had to do after ME1.

Venture

Has anyone been able to find most datapoints and such on a first playthrough? I feel like they're too hidden or not obvious enough.
I had only around 35 - 40% of them after I finished the game and I did a lot of exploring. Some are really tricky to find without a guide.

So I'm only 5 hours in but after playing Zelda..... This is better &#128556;

Everything else is so much better then TW3 though

it's easily my GOTY so far

maybe I'm biased though.

I think it's a great game, but not at the level of Zelda or The Witcher.*

The former grants an unbridled sense of freedom with layers upon layers of systems to toy with.

It combines the intoxicating thrill of discovery with quality, handcrafted puzzles and one-off scenarios you'd typically find in an action game.

The desire I've felt to explore in Breath of the Wild is something I've never felt before, you're always clamouring up the next mountain or searching for the next secret.

The latter is the king of writing, world-building and characterisation in an open-world game, if you ask me. You're sucked into assassination plots, murder mysteries, teleported to different dimensions and everything in between.

The sheer variety and breadth of situations you're thrown into really puts Horizon to shame. You have a real impact on quests and how they play out.

I think it also depicts deeper, more complex themes throughout with better voice-acting.

HOWEVER!

Horizon has great combat, a cool world, awesome enemies and lots of potential. I really enjoyed my time with it.

But I thought the storytelling and characters were a little shallow and the cauldrons didn't do enough for me.

Zelda redefines what the series is all about, while The Witcher kind of defined our expectations of the genre moving forward.

Horizon feels less ambitious in scope and design to me - though it's world and premise is top notch and should be commended.

The two games I mentioned aren't perfect either (far from it), but I feel they just have something Zero Dawn lacks.

That 'X Factor'.

It's all personal opinion, but anecdotally a lot of my mates feel the same way and while I will always cherish my time with the game, I find my opinion of it becoming less positive over time.

Hope this doesn't derail the thread in any way, but my thoughts about the game have been gestating for a while now.

*I compared it to Zelda and The Witcher simply because Breath of the Wild came out at a similar time and The Wild Hunt is generally considered the standard for these type of games now.

Sylens is the best character in Zero Dawn by a mile.

Dunno where you at through the main quest line, but assuming you're not bee-lining, you probably haven't hit the main plot bombs yet. They... change the scope and perspective of quite a few things about the story.

Yeah, I just meant the very early stuff. I really liked F:NV's story and the lead writer wrote this so I'm optimistic. I heard it gets better as it goes on anyway.

I think it's a great game, but not at the level of Zelda or The Witcher.*

The former grants an unbridled sense of freedom with layers upon layers of systems to toy with.

It combines the intoxicating thrill of discovery with quality, handcrafted puzzles and one-off scenarios you'd typically find in an action game.

The desire I've felt to explore in Breath of the Wild is something I've never felt before, you're always clamouring up the next mountain or searching for the next secret.

The latter is the king of writing, world-building and characterisation in an open-world game, if you ask me. You're sucked into assassination plots, murder mysteries, teleported to different dimensions and everything in between.

The sheer variety and breadth of situations you're thrown into really puts Horizon to shame. You have a real impact on quests and how they play out.

I think it also depicts deeper, more complex themes throughout with better voice-acting.

HOWEVER!

Horizon has great combat, a cool world, awesome enemies and lots of potential. I really enjoyed my time with it.

But I thought the storytelling and characters were a little shallow and the cauldrons didn't do enough for me.

Zelda redefines what the series is all about, while The Witcher kind of defined our expectations of the genre moving forward.

Horizon feels less ambitious in scope and design to me - though it's world and premise is top notch and should be commended,

The two games I mentioned aren't perfect either (far from it), but I feel they just have something Zero Dawn lacks.

That 'X Factor'.

It's all personal opinion, but anecdotally a lot of my mates feel the same way and while I will always cherish my time with the game, I find my opinion of it becoming less positive over time.

Hope this doesn't derail the thread in anyway, but my thoughts about the game have been gestating for a while now.

*I compared it to Zelda and The Witcher simply because Breath of the Wild came out at a similar time and The Wild Hunt is generally considered the standard for these type of games now.

Sylens is the best character in Zero Dawn by a mile.

Great write up.
With Zelda I absolutely felt the magic but the combat gameplay for me is antiquated. I love exploring but was never happy about any combat scenario. Another thing about Zelda is though the game is amazing to explore the surroundings can be very drab and barren at times.

You are 100% right about the Witcher as I have put over 200+ hours into that series. Best character and world ever. However, even though I have come to terms with the combat systems I really only play those games for the story and characters. The combat is just not good imo

Horizon just plays perfectly for me. I love the main character so far and am excited to explore the world but I look forward to fighting. I can't remember the last time I felt that way in an open world game and so for me GG come out ahead of the pack... So far

Great write up.
With Zelda I absolutely felt the magic but the combat gameplay for me is antiquated. I love exploring but was never happy about any combat scenario. Another thing about Zelda is though the game is amazing to explore the surroundings can be very drab and barren at times.

You are 100% right about the Witcher as I have put over 200+ hours into that series. Best character and world ever. However, even though I have come to terms with the combat systems I really only play those games for the story and characters. The combat is just not good imo

Horizon just plays perfectly for me. I love the main character so far and am excited to explore the world but I look forward to fighting. I can't remember the last time I felt that way in an open world game and so for me GG come out ahead of the pack... So far

The story in Horizon starts good, then it let you loose and the gameplay and content take the lead for a while. About half way through the story picks up again but in a different way than it starts, it's much more engaging imo.
I think you're gonna like it.

Top Bottom