• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

Earendil

Oh there absolutely is HUD adjustments. The very first thing I did was turn the HUD to Dynamic so it comes on only when needed, like in a fight, but fades away when you are exploring. You can also make tons more individual adjustments beyond that.

I can't say exactly where this is in settings since I am not at home, but it is definitely there.

Thanks man, I'll look again.

Venture

Horizon has some of the best combat, characters, and narratives in games. Don't know why some people get dismissive when I say that. You can think multiple games are among the best, it doesn't have to consist solely of the Witcher or Zelda.
I've noticed that but I guess it's only natural when someone gives a game such high praise. Especially a brand new IP. You won't get any argument from me though. It's one of the best I've played and already one of my all-time favorites.

Saw this on my facebook feed (I'm a huge AFI fan):

*Location spoiler*
screenshot_2017-07-27gks7b.png

They've been hyping their Red Rocks show for a while and I didn't really understand why as I wasn't familiar with the venue.
But when I saw this image, I immediately thought of this game. I may have missed the name of it while playing but this is surely one of the vantage points, no? I mean that angle looks almost exact even lol.

Venture

*Location spoiler*

They've been hyping their Red Rocks show for a while and I didn't really understand why as I wasn't familiar with the venue.
But when I saw this image, I immediately thought of this game. I may have missed the name of it while playing but this is surely one of the vantage points, no? I mean that angle looks almost exact even lol.
Ha, that's pretty cool. And you're right, it's almost the exact same angle as the Vantage.

Need to craft a bow but haven't got all the ingredients, lacking a few things such as rabbit/fox skin.

Is there a specific location to farm these?

I think they just appear randomly.

Edit;

Well using focus certainly helps locating them but I don't know how to get their skin, I get fatty meat/bone etc.

Edit :

Have found resources!

Zertez

*Location spoiler*

It is definitely Red Rocks Amphitheatre, I have been many times. From the position of the stage, the Rock faces on the side to the hike to get into the place and the lookout over the city during the vantage point it is fairly accurate. It is a special place and in my top 5 places to see a show.

ty_hot

Need to craft a bow but haven't got all the ingredients, lacking a few things such as rabbit/fox skin.

Edit;

Well using focus certainly helps locating them but I don't know how to get their skin, I get fatty meat/bone etc.

Edit :

Have found resources!

Every once in a while I would spend 10-15 minutes in some forest area to kill animals and get those resources. Its just luck what you get out of them so you might get what you need in the first one or in the 20th...

shiba5

Edit;

Well using focus certainly helps locating them but I don't know how to get their skin, I get fatty meat/bone etc. It's south of the river that's south of the bandit camp.

Edit :

Have found resources!

The forest northwest of Devil's Grief. There's a campfire you can reload at, and all animal types are present.

X-Frame

I would love for this game in DLC (or the sequel) to have Aloy gain the ability to order or instruct her overridden machines in some fashion.

Sometimes it can be frustrating to override a badass Ravager and then go attack a neighboring robot group while the Ravager sticks to his route and never joins in no matter how much I try and lure the enemies to them.

It would be super badass to be moving as Aloy and having a pair of Ravagers or Sawtooths just following her wherever she goes (within a certain radius as to not get too ridiculous).

Man. Been meaning to pop in this thread for a while. Picked this up when it was on sale after e3. I'm only about 11 hours in with 16% completion or so, but I think it already might be my favorite game from this gen. It is just such a new refreshing world. The writing is pretty decent too! And holy fuck does the game look good on my ks8000/pro. When the moon was rising one night I was playing, I was blown away. I'm not usually someone who cares much about how games look, but man.

Also...it is just fun to play. It's just fun popping off arrow shots like crazy. Writing this post makes me want to go home to playing it more!

zoodoo

Man. Been meaning to pop in this thread for a while. Picked this up when it was on sale after e3. I'm only about 11 hours in with 16% completion or so, but I think it already might be my favorite game from this gen. It is just such a new refreshing world. The writing is pretty decent too! And holy fuck does the game look good on my ks8000/pro. When the moon was rising one night I was playing, I was blown away. I'm not usually someone who cares much about how games look, but man.

Also...it is just fun to play. It's just fun popping off arrow shots like crazy. Writing this post makes me want to go home to playing it more!

Yeah I've been saying the same thing. I don't really care about graphics but damn this game is just gorgeous. For the first time I am actually actively using photo mode. Even Uncharted 4 did not do that to me.

Venture

I would love for this game in DLC (or the sequel) to have Aloy gain the ability to order or instruct her overridden machines in some fashion.

Sometimes it can be frustrating to override a badass Ravager and then go attack a neighboring robot group while the Ravager sticks to his route and never joins in no matter how much I try and lure the enemies to them.

It would be super badass to be moving as Aloy and having a pair of Ravagers or Sawtooths just following her wherever she goes (within a certain radius as to not get too ridiculous).
I get why they didn't want to do that but there is some room to expand on it, as you say, with limits. It could be implemented pretty simply by using Aloy's whistle call to bring friendly machines over to you. Another way to limit it besides range would be to have no permanent overrides for the really large and dangerous machines. And maybe once the override time ends you could be locked out of overriding that specific machine again.

Yeah I've been saying the same thing. I don't really care about graphics but damn this game is just gorgeous. For the first time I am actually actively using photo mode. Even Uncharted 4 did not do that to me.

This game has surpassed every title I've owned including PC. It's just a pleasure to look at with a great variety of terrain - it has it all!

And yes, just like others, I'm constantly taking photos. It's as simple of going into photomode and removing the HUD. Sometimes I would zoom as close as possible to Aloy's face so that I can see them Decima eyes!. ;)

And GG took no shortcuts. Runs at 1080p, a consistent 30 frames per second. ( even better on Pro I know)

They also got the controls down perfectly.

My stats:
40hrs, 40% complete, level 31

ParityBit

Is there a reason to explore everywhere? I am in the starting area still .... just wanted to know if there are hidden things or is it pretty much hunt and follow quests?

shiba5

Is there a reason to explore everywhere? I am in the starting area still .... just wanted to know if there are hidden things or is it pretty much hunt and follow quests?

There are 4 maps you can buy at any vendor that show the location of collectibles (except datalogs),

Venture

I never paid much attention to them before but there are some cool little details in the human enemy attacks. Like these elite bandit archers with the big-ass, powerful bows. They melee attack with the spike at the top and when firing they plant the bow on the ground and support it with their foot.

36217212016_b6fae03242_c.jpg

36217215976_ba6a71ed4a_c.jpg

Doomsayer

I beat this game Thursday night for my second ever platinum, such an amazing experience. The story was also great... I don't know how you make a story about robot dinosaurs so believable and exciting but they did.

The last mission is so much fun.

I ended up with 96% completion in 56 hours. Still platinumed it though. Can't wait for the DLC!

So i just started A NG+ in UH and i just killed the first boss Sawtooth in 3 seconds flat?

? Just 3 fires and and 3 seconds later done?

Something i noticed

My Adept Hunter Bow Fire version In normal Has Fire damage of 63 with 27 damage and 107 handling? Which means that any machine set of fire with it, The over time damage is gonna be 100 points. In Ultra Hard this weapon got nerf to 31 fire 19 damage and 107 handling. And yet it did the same over time damage of 100 points?

Guess i'll continue in UH for a little while longer and hopefully i can feel comfortable playing in this differently level.

Also keep in mind that i got 800 hours and only the best mods on my weapons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv4kujjyj_Y

JoeNut

so last night i discovered you can create a tower defence game - if you infiltrate a base and get in the middle somewhere, then set bombs and wires around and cause attention to yourself, you can make a cool mini game.

It made me think they need to make a DLC from this - defend the base or whatever. try it!

so last night i discovered you can create a tower defence game - if you infiltrate a base and get in the middle somewhere, then set bombs and wires around and cause attention to yourself, you can make a cool mini game.

It made me think they need to make a DLC from this - defend the base or whatever. try it!

Some sort of horde mode would definitely increase the longevity of the game. An arena mode, as well, maybe with limited equipment and timed trials.

X-Frame

Some sort of horde mode would definitely increase the longevity of the game. An arena mode, as well, maybe with limited equipment and timed trials.

Sunfall arena is perfect for this, so all they'd need to do is add the functionality.

Being in the arena with cheering NPC's and being able to summon enemy combinations would be incredibly fun. Sort of like Mass Effect 3's Citadel DLC with the simulator.

Btw, I know I'm a bit late to the party but have we gotten an exact number on the animal sacrifices they made to the Dark Gods?

I only ask because it's fairly obvious it's some black magic that makes the game look as good and run as well as it does.

Can't see this happening in DLC because it'd break the existing game's balance (such as it is, anyway) pretty hard, but it's clearly strong mechanical territory for a sequel to explore.

I think an even stronger override (i.e. getting you a permanent non-steed companion, or being able to ride any overridden machine maybe) would be seriously cool but would clearly need to be limited to one machine at a time and/or have a much longer cooldown.

Improved melee mechanics (I'm really partial to the idea of getting to do critical/stealth strike type damage if you execute a 'perfect dodge,' bullfighter style), substantially improved human AI (they should be scary because they're smarter than machines and excellent at teamwork), and an intensified focus on using harvested parts from machines (the weapons they drop are cool and there should be more of them, but I think being able to use a Stalker's cloaking module or a Shellwalker's shield until their batteries run out would be brilliant) seem like the way to go in my opinion, plus more in the way of environmental interactivity.

It's an immensely solid foundation for a series and a brilliant game and I hope Guerilla is hungry to keep improving it in leaps and bounds.

gunstarhero

Finally got around to beating this last night.

Amazing story all together - and the last few hours really does the whole game justice. It's going to be really hard to top this game's story, presentation sound and graphics. Everything was near damn perfect imo.

Finally got around to beating this last night.

Amazing story all together - and the last few hours really does the whole game justice. It's going to be really hard to top this game's story, presentation sound and graphics. Everything was near damn perfect imo.

Congrats! Any plans of plat-ing it? The plat is quite easily obtainable after you've complete the game.

gunstarhero

Congrats! Any plans of plat-ing it? The plat is quite easily obtainable after you've complete the game.

Yeah - I was actually looking at my remaining trophies, and it really wouldn't be that bad to go for it. I have a little bit of a back log, so i may wait for the DLC before I jump back in and clean up the rest of the list.

On a side note - I can't stop thinking about how epic that
last battle at Meridian
was. I can't think of another game that turned everything up to 11 like that.

Are they planning on releasing more than 1 DLC? I'm not even close to beating it, but I plan on buying the DLC when it releases. Just curious.

Ok i think i figure it out? Why NG+ UH has been so easy. Just finished the Grave hoard mission and the last boss in that mission died so fast? Just a few fire arrows sling bombs and done, In fact it died way faster then when i play on Normal. Which only means one thing. Enemies have Less Hit points in UH which is way they had to nerf Aloys weapons.

Having fun ON UH first time playing a game on such a high difficulty level

Zackat

Btw, I know I'm a bit late to the party but have we gotten an exact number on the animal sacrifices they made to the Dark Gods?

I only ask because it's fairly obvious it's some black magic that makes the game look as good and run as well as it does.
sometimes it's better to not question these things. some kind of dutch magic happened
Are they planning on releasing more than 1 DLC? I'm not even close to beating it, but I plan on buying the DLC when it releases. Just curious.

We were all hoping for 1 DLC, if we got 2 I would be over the moon.

Venture

Ok i think i figure it out? Why NG+ UH has been so easy. Just finished the Grave hoard mission and the last boss in that mission died so fast? Just a few fire arrows sling bombs and done, In fact it died way faster then when i play on Normal. Which only means one thing. Enemies have Less Hit points in UH which is way they had to nerf Aloys weapons.

Having fun ON UH first time playing a game on such a high difficulty level
I really don't think the machines have fewer HP in Ultra Hard mode. If it seems easier it's probably because you've gotten so skilled from playing it for so long.

I've been playing through New Game+ on UH and it's a pretty decent challenge. It seems like the machines are all fully armored from the start or maybe their armor just carries over to NG+. It's also more difficult to get them into status effects. I haven't found the shield weaver armor to be all that effective anymore either. One good hit from a strong machine will wipe it out and a second hit before it recharges can kill you instantly.

I really don't think the machines have fewer HP in Ultra Hard mode. If it seems easier it's probably because you've gotten so skilled from playing it for so long.

I've been playing through New Game+ on UH and it's a pretty decent challenge. It seems like the machines are all fully armored from the start or maybe their armor just carries over to NG+. It's also more difficult to get them into status effects. I haven't found the shield weaver armor to be all that effective anymore either. One good hit from a strong machine will wipe it out and a second hit before it recharges can kill you instantly.

Yea that may be it

Also just beat the game on Ultra Hard, Great experience

jonjonaug

Just started the game, some questions.

• Is there motion sensitive aiming I can enable for fine tuning my aim? It's kinda shitty to have to just use a control stick again after being spoiled by Breath of the Wild, and I thought the PS4 controller could handle that kind of thing (IIRC Gravity Rush does it).
  • What items are "safe to sell" and which should I be hoarding?
  • Is it worth buying the other bow types this early in the game, or should wait on them a bit? Is there anything that is an absolute "must buy" from the shop right now?
  • Should I advance the main quest until I unlock fast travel before doing any of these side quests that pop up around the place, or do they have a timeout period depending on your main quest progress?
  • Is there a way to adjust the camera angle? The camera is conductive to being "cinematic" but it sure isn't conductive to dodging around metal monsters that can kill you in two hits.

I've finally come around to starting this!

This is definitely one of those games I can't stop thinking about everytime I'm not playing.

Just running around and marveling at the sheer artistry of those environments, the TOD cycles, the dinosaurs puts a smile on my face.

Still warming up to general controls and the combat though... especially the camera is giving me trouble during hectic battles.
There's no lock-on I am missing, right? Any tips?
I don't always manage to anticipate incoming attacks and sometimes get stuck on the environment when trying to evade...

JoeNut

Just started the game, some questions.

• Is there motion sensitive aiming I can enable for fine tuning my aim? It's kinda shitty to have to just use a control stick again after being spoiled by Breath of the Wild, and I thought the PS4 controller could handle that kind of thing (IIRC Gravity Rush does it).
    No
  • What items are "safe to sell" and which should I be hoarding?
    generally most things are safe to sell as you can buy them back if you need them, in the item desciprtion it does give you an idea of what they are used for, the ones that just say "selling to merchants" are generally safe enough.
  • Is it worth buying the other bow types this early in the game, or should wait on them a bit? Is there anything that is an absolute "must buy" from the shop right now?
    I spent a long time with just the main bow, but i would suggest if you can afford it you should buy one, they give you new elementals to play with which are very useful
  • Should I advance the main quest until I unlock fast travel before doing any of these side quests that pop up around the place, or do they have a timeout period depending on your main quest progress?
    they don't time out, but they're fun! at the first stage i found i never ever used fast travel, but later on it's pretty much required as the map is huge.
  • Is there a way to adjust the camera angle? The camera is conductive to being "cinematic" but it sure isn't conductive to dodging around metal monsters that can kill you in two hits.
    i've never tried this, it's always been fine for me, sorry.

Also protip - do the weapon tutorial missions, you get a lot of exp from them.

Top Bottom