• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn - The Machines Videos

4450102.gif

Snapmaw booty shake before pounce.

bunkitz

Did not know the Snapmaw was ice-related. Totes cool.

Surprised to see that the machines have classes, though. And is all the Snapmaw's special ability supposed to do, like, gather water and turn it into that cryo bomb thing? I'd be a little disappointed, gameplay-wise, since its an ability that's dependent on another. Lore-wise, though, it's cool.

Loudninja

Did not know the Snapmaw was ice-related. Totes cool.

Surprised to see that the machines have classes, though. And is all the Snapmaw's special ability supposed to do, like, gather water and turn it into that cryo bomb thing? I'd be a little disappointed, gameplay-wise, since its an ability that's dependent on another. Lore-wise, though, it's cool.
I mean it would not make since for every machine to have an attack type special ability so yeah it makes sense.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I love the Thunderjaw design so much. One of my all time favorite machine designs. I would love a model viewer or something.

The animations and reactions on the machines are very impressive. I don't know if I've seen anything with such a varied range of animation for enemies.

Also the Thunderjaw is only 3/5 bars for difficulty. Finding stuff scarier than it is going to be amazing. Hope that's kept under wraps. Want to find those on my own.

I love the Thunderjaw design so much. One of my all time favorite machine designs. I would love a model viewer or something.

The animations and reactions on the machines are very impressive. I don't know if I've seen anything with such a varied range of animation for enemies.

Also the Thunderjaw is only 3/5 bars for difficulty. Finding stuff scarier than it is going to be amazing. Hope that's kept under wraps. Want to find those on my own.
Given that we've only seen enemies from early game, my assumption is that more powerful machines might have more components layered onto them. Because you can scan each enemy, and you can see its machine components in an itemized list, which kind of implies that machines can have more components. At least I hope

I also like that they've kept many of the machine types secret.

It's what I love about GG designs, they always go for pratical and function FIRST and then once it works, they focus and style.

The killzone saga artbook is amazing in that regards, it gives incredible insight on the design process of vehicules, architechtures and weapons in that regards, it's always why I love their design so much because it always felt so grounded and pratical even if it's set in space.

vivekTO

Five distinct attacks for one enemy is very impressive

Usually animals in games only lunge at you, while human enemies tend to have one kind of gun and then grenades to flush you out

And we have atleast 20 different animals with atleast three distinctive attacks. with corrupted and non corrupted version too!!

Raylan

Banned
The Snapmaw is my favourite machine-monster right now. I like it mor than the Thunderjaw (and the Thunderjaw is awesome).

Such a cool design :)

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
And we have atleast 20 different animals with atleast three distinctive attacks. with corrupten and non corrupted version too!!

And there are variations on certain machines as well like the Bellowsback which appears to have different elemental classes with the corresponding attacks like fire breath, ice breath, etc.

Horizon's combat looks more like a third person take on dual stick shooters such as Enter The Gungeon than the kind of shooter action you see in Far Cry, GTA, Watch Dogs

Closest comparison seems to be a Vanquish, in how you had to evade melee and ranged enemies in the same fight while positioning yourself to hit weakpoints

There are some territories where they still can't meet demand with the Pro. I bet this will be the first game bundled with the Pro once they start.
still can't meet demand meaning sold out?

it would be the first bundled game but they would have announced it by now.

I remember that initial reveal where she took down the Thunderjaw using all those different tactics, including using its own rocket launcher. Then a lot of the preview footage I saw was just bow + dodge. I wondered if they had subtlety removed some of the complexity of the combat.

Guess not :)

jrDev

Just...amazing! The first series I am really interested in from the beginning out of Sony! I don't even like Guerrilla's games either. Just looks quality, hope it is in the end...

"Each robot has unique sounds for conveying their emotions and distinguishing themselves from each other, for example, a Shell Walker will sound different while working as opposed to when it's angry. Each machine has 200 to 300 different sounds for conveying their states and extensive animation work has also been done to properly showcase their personalities." Robots with personality

Thunderjaw:
"The Thunder Jaw was the most difficult to design and animate - it took 18 months to nail every part of its design from begining to end."

Majority of robots:
"It took two animators three months working full time to get basic animations in place but by the time certain things were devised and changed it took around six months to complete a robot from start to finish. "

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I love how aggressive the machine are in general when you do start a fight with them. The game does not look like it will be a cake walk

I love how aggressive the machine are in general when you do start a fight with them. The game does not look like it will be a cake walk
When I watched the dev stream, I noted how it seems being stealth and cautious might be really useful here. Usually you can rush through open world wildernesses without much care, but the enemies here seem so aggressive and dangerous, you might want to plan your route and avoid fights if possible

vivekTO

Thunderjaw:
"The Thunder Jaw was the most difficult to design and animate - it took 18 months to nail every part of its design from begining to end."

Majority of robots:
"It took two animators three months working full time to get basic animations in place but by the time certain things were devised and changed it took around six months to complete a robot from start to finish. "

This is insane, But it proves the point that the focus of the dev, is to make the interaction with robodinos as detail as possible.

I want to know how many attacks the watcher and grazer has.
Watchers have at least two: a blinding flashbang attack and a tackle
Grazers seem to flee when alerted, but corrupted ones have a ramming attack and will do a sucidal explosive rush if you set it on fire

Top Bottom