• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn - The Machines Videos

Horizon's combat looks more like a third person take on dual stick shooters such as Enter The Gungeon than the kind of shooter action you see in Far Cry, GTA, Watch Dogs

Closest comparison seems to be a Vanquish, in how you had to evade melee and ranged enemies in the same fight while positioning yourself to hit weakpoints

I know everybody is tired of Zelda comparisons but I love that the different enemies are each basically miniboss fights. I love that aspect of the boss fights in Zelda and can't wait to dive in here.

I really hope this game will be safe for my 8 y/o daughter too. She loves dinosaurs and the fact that this has a female lead makes me think it'll be something she would love. But then again its not on par with Roblox so maybe not. ;P

Loudninja

Watchers have at least two: a blinding flashbang attack and a tackle
Grazers seem to flee when alerted, but corrupted ones have a ramming attack and will do a sucidal explosive rush if you set it on fire
Yeah thats why I am interested.

Seen a watcher fire a beam as well,grazers instead of running turning to bombs is very cool.

Tallnecks can kill you if you get in their way, so I'm going to assume (and hope) that there might be enemy/corrupted Tallnecks in the game. Especially because using them to reveal the map doesnt remove them from the map, and it seems no one has tried to attack a Tallneck in the previews I've seen.

Also it would be weird to include Tallnecks in the bestiary if their only purpose was to be a glorifed tower, when every other bestiary entry so far has shown the components and loot for the machine types

"Each robot has unique sounds for conveying their emotions and distinguishing themselves from each other, for example, a Shell Walker will sound different while working as opposed to when it's angry. Each machine has 200 to 300 different sounds for conveying their states and extensive animation work has also been done to properly showcase their personalities." Robots with personality

Did we know that according to Shinobi there are swords in the game? Hadnt heard of that before the video also they seem to confirm that the Thunderjaw can indeed be hacked.

This is insane, But it proves the point that the focus of the dev, is to make the interaction with robodinos as detail as possible.

That's right, GG has gone to great lengths to make sure the robots work as they have intended.

Thunderjaw was the very first robot
"The Thunderjaw was the very first robot GG designed, the idea was that if they could make this one work then they could make the game, but if it didn't work then the whole concept was kind of flawed"

Did we know that according to Shinobi there are swords in the game? Hadnt heard of that before the video also they seem to confirm that the Thunderjaw can indeed be hacked.

I have no idea, sorry.

NastyBook

Gonna pre-order Digital Deluxe Edition when I get home. This had better have pre-loading.

Vids were fantastic. Can't wait to run up on one of these creatures.

Loudninja

Tallnecks can kill you if you get in their way, so I'm going to assume (and hope) that there might be enemy/corrupted Tallnecks in the game. Especially because using them to reveal the map doesnt remove them from the map, and it seems no one has tried to attack a Tallneck in the previews I've seen.

Also it would be weird to include Tallnecks in the bestiary if their only purpose was to be a glorifed tower, when every other bestiary entry so far has shown the components and loot for the machine types
Not sure about the Tallneck

vivekTO

No there are no swords, only melee weapon available is the Spear ,apart from crossbow and slingshot stuff.

Interesting to see that the Thunderjaw isn't the highest scored threat, I wonder if the Stormbird is higher in term of ranking (Errr, "Stormbringer" was better) due to its air supremacy. I expect a corrupted Thunderjaw to be slightly higher, but machines such as the ones seen in the cinematic trailer will definitely take the crown.

And we haven't seen Mouth Laser, did we?

We've seen that a while ago actually. I think the Scrappers have a similar attack, but with a single beam.

https://youtu.be/C8HFc6OJ_1Y?t=6m59s

I really like how fearsome the disc launchers are @ 6m47.

No there are no swords, only melee weapon available is the Spear ,apart from crossbow and slingshot stuff.

Well only melee weapon that we know of. There might be one you can buy and it goes in another weapon slot, but I expect the spear will be the only one.

Skux

This is why robot enemies are such a great idea. They play to the "gameness" of the gameplay.

You can have glowing weak spots, resistances, telegraphed attacks, ranged weapons, and all the mechanics that make boss battles challenging and fun, and have it all make sense in the context of the game world.

It's something you just can't do with animals. With a bull or wolf or stegosaurus, the best option is always to shoot it in the head, and all the fights would generally play out the same. And you can't have a T-Rex switch to missile pods when you get out of melee range.

Mubrik

TfAZ2B5.gif

ROMESVH.gif

This is good!!
So good.gif

This is why robot enemies are such a great idea. They play to the "gameness" of the gameplay.

You can have glowing weak spots, telegraphed attacks, ranged weapons, and all the mechanics that make boss battles challenging and fun, and have it all make sense in the context of the game world.

It's something you just can't do with animals. With a bull or wolf or stegosaurus, the best option is always to shoot it in the head, and all the fights would generally play out the same. And you can't have a T-Rex switch to missile pods when you get out of melee range.
Yep, it does make sense.

vivekTO

Interesting to see that the Thunderjaw isn't the highest scored threat, I wonder if the Stormbird is higher in term of ranking (Errr, "Stormbringer" was better) due to its air supremacy. I expect a corrupted Thunderjaw to be slightly higher, but machines such as the ones seen in the cinematic trailer will definitely take the crown.

We've seen that a while ago actually. I think the Scrappers have a similar attack, but with a single beam.

https://youtu.be/C8HFc6OJ_1Y?t=6m59s

I really like how fearsome the disc launchers are @ 6m47.

Cool i didn't see it earlier, Looks menacing. Although a Large concentrated power beam would have look good too.

Well only melee weapon that we know of. There might be one you can buy and it goes in another weapon slot, but I expect the spear will be the only one.

About that , actually Game director specifically confirmed that the spear is the only melee weapon i.e. no swords, katana , axe etc.

Mubrik

Man the thunderjaw looks so good.
Although I'd loved to be surprised, don't think anything else will top that machine. Beast.

vivekTO

Is the rope weapon dynamic? Like can you pin a Snapmaw's jaws down?

Not sure about the pinning down Jaw specific , but you can target specific part of the machines to the ground , so might be possible.
Also it does have retraction dynamic to it!!

Also we need some human androids to blow our minds as well Something akin to
It will fit the setting perfectly :)

Gudji

Any comment regarding the amount of weapons in the game? We've seen bows, slings, rattlers, hoping for some more.

vivekTO

There has to be a gorilla robot right?... right ?

Gorilla and Elephant , i still can't believe they haven't done an bulky elephant.

Any comment regarding the amount of weapons in the game? We've seen bows, slings, rattlers, hoping for some more.

Weapons are limited and most of them you already have listed, What remains to be seen is the savage weapons you can take from the machines, Like the one from the Thunderjaw.

Gitaroo

I just hope the game has many more robot creatures, the more bizzare the better. I remember I was super hyped when they show the heavy soldier in KZ2 telling all of us that the final game will have many boss battle and the heavy soldier was only a mini boss. Turns out the final game barely have any boss battle.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
1. Thunderjaw
2. Snapmaw
3. Thunderbird
4. Behemoth
5. Watcher
6. Grazer
7. Tallneck

Do we know of any others?

vivekTO

1. Thunderjaw
2. Snapmaw
3. Thunderbird
4. Behemoth
5. Watcher
6. Grazer
7. Tallneck

Do we know of any others?

Watcher
Scrapper
Sawtooth (Shown in at least two different sizes)
Bellowback
Shellback
Grazer
Lancehorn
Strider
Broadhead
Longleg
Tallneck
Thunderjaw
Snapmaw
Behemoth
Stormcaller
Glinthawk
Corruptor(the scorpion one)
Stalker

Razgreez

Absolutely.

Check this ferocious charge:
[E3 2015]
https://giant.gfycat.com/HappyFewAfghanhound.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Some day we'll be able to play something like this in VR... and games would have finally reached the point I'd always dreamed of as a kid. Just walking under the tail of the hulking thunderjaw... I mean jebus rice

I'm just hoping the AI and machine interactions are really good. The watchers and grazers working together is a reassuring sign, but I hope that predator machines attack prey ones, and that prey ones migrate, and all that.

I might be a bit spoiled because of Rain World, but this looks like the closest to that in the AAA space

hydruxo

I'm just hoping the AI and machine interactions are really good. The watchers and grazers working together is a reassuring sign, but I hope that predator machines attack prey ones, and that prey ones migrate, and all that.

I might be a bit spoiled because of Rain World, but this looks like the closest to that in the AAA space

I'd love to see that too. I'm just imagining coming up over a cliff and watching a Thunderjaw fight a bunch of smaller machines. That would be incredible.

ImpossibleEqualDachshund.gif

Sorry, did someone in the team mentioned or hinted that there is or could be this type of interactions between machines? It wasn't even in my most hidden dreams but now that you mention it well... sounds too good to be true.

Edit: Now I remember Trolls and Direwolves fighting orcs in Shadow of Mordor. Not the same but close.

vivekTO

I don't think that AI systems will be at that level, There will be some sort fo interaction but limited.

And i don't think Machines will fight with machines , won't be they programmed like to avoid each other or something? also we know or established that all of them is driven by some single AI or main system?

Sorry, did someone in the team mentioned or hinted that there is or could be this type of interactions between machines? It wasn't even in my most hidden dreams but now that you mention it well... sounds too good to be true.
Well, we've seen glimpses of sawtooths "eating", a bird machine snatching a dead one, a corrupted machine fighting with a regular one, the gazers move in herds, watchers alert and patrol for packs of other machines, and a watcher and broadhead got in a fight in the dev stream

The Watchers protect the Grazers by observing and scanning the environment in search for any threats.

Top Bottom