• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn - The Machines Videos

bwakh

How in the flying fuck can anyone look at this and honestly come away thinking that is just some trite Far Cry clone?

Two promising excerpts

"One thing is immediately clear from the moment you get your hands on a controller: the combat is intense and deeply tactical. It's a far cry from the heavily refined (yet ultimately tiresome) combat systems found in .. "

There you go.

Literally the only thing that is even similar to Far Cry is the tower to reveal the map. Even that is moving all the damn time.

I love how precise you have to be to hit these weakpoints. It's just big glowing areas, you have to get in position and hit these super specific areas on an enemy's body

Handy Fake

Is the rope weapon dynamic? Like can you pin a Snapmaw's jaws down?

It really can't be stated enough how the environment being destructible makes these machines, especially the Thunderjaw, seem so much more fearsome

EbkonKo.gif

Just realised that after the tree falls and the rocks are destroyed, the Thunderjaw's right foot comes to rest on the broken boulders and both the foot moves on top, and the boulders underneath shift in tandem with each other.

That's rather nice.

Loudninja

Yeah, the Behemoth probably picks up the suttf they gather.
Yep.
The Behemoth is a huge, rugged transport-class machine that uses anti-gravity technology to transfer precious cargo from smaller acquisition-class machines into its stomach container. When provoked, it may charge at the enemy or use its anti-gravity unit to hurl heavy objects. It is also equipped with a set of grinding drills that allow it to grind and propel rock projectiles.
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...-look-at-horizon-zero-dawns-amazing-machines/

Loudninja

So there are 3 classes so far.
1.Combat Class
2.Transport Class
3.Acquisition-Class

What do you think the Watcher class is?I guess combat as well.

lcap

Holy S***!!!

The Stormbird has the same danger level as the Thunderjaw, can't imagine encountering both at the same and just, NOPE.

BraXzy

God every machine is insanely cool. I'm really impressed that they all feel pretty unique. Cannot wait for this game!

Stormbird looks great .
Fighting two of them at one time would be crazy .
Yeah, all these different ranged and melee attacks and the precision needed to fight back is really going to set this game's combat apart from any other open world game. This is far more arcadey and "dual stick shooter"-y, like Doom and Vanquish versus GTA and Far Cry. A lot of evading projectiles, moving around until you get the time and an angle to attack, versus taking cover and just riddling foes with bullets

It's going to be hectic af when you have to fight a mix of machines, dodging around different ranged and melee attacks at different ranges

I love that each machine has its purpose in the world, makes the world feel much more realized. I hope there's a way to get these details in game because I don't think people will dive into these videos as much as we all do. It really adds a lot to the world.

I love that each machine has its purpose in the world, makes the world feel much more realized. I hope there's a way to get these details in game because I don't think people will dive into these videos as much as we all do. It really adds a lot to the world.
In the GameTM article, the devs reiterated how the machines are AI driven rather than scripted, will do specific jobs and interactions with each other, and assume different roles if needed. The various machine classes seems to drive that point home

Usually in open world games, the ecosystem is animals randomly roaming around and sometimes performing actions (hawk snatching a rabbit in RDR, tiger attacking an outpost in Far Cry, etc.)

noomi

Very cool!

Are these supposed to be bosses in the game, where it's just one encounter and they are gone forever, or can we expect to tun into these machines multiple times through-out our playthrough?

Loudninja

Very cool!

Are these supposed to be bosses in the game, where it's just one encounter and they are gone forever, or can we expect to tun into these machines multiple times through-out our playthrough?
Nah dude are regular enemies you will encounter in different parts of the world.

So yeah on your second point.

Very cool!

There are the "animals" that are roaming the wild. Regular enemies, although I imagine there were some boss types to fight too

In the GameTM article, the devs reiterated how the machines are AI driven rather than scripted, will do specific jobs and interactions with each other, and assume different roles if needed. The various machine classes seems to drive that point home

Usually in open world games, the ecosystem is animals randomly roaming around and sometimes performing actions (hawk snatching a rabbit in RDR, tiger attacking an outpost in Far Cry, etc.)

That's awesome, I could just see it now, sneaking around in the tall grass and witnessing the machines performing regular tasks while working together. Seeing that in game for the first time will be pretty great.

vivekTO

Thats it I think, might add some gifs in Op or wait for the good ones.
Looking forward to the other Machines too, or we will gt only four??

noomi

Nah dude are regular enemies you will encounter in different parts of the world.

So yeah on your second point.

There are the "animals" that are roaming the wild. Regular enemies, although I imagine there were some boss types to fight too

Wow, these aren't even boss fights?! They put so much work into these machines, I can't even imagine how amazing the actual boss fights will be.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
THIS FUCKING GAME

the fact that they have a diversity of robot animals but also different attacks and ways to defeat them.....
latest

Top Bottom