• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hot Take: Ghostrunner is the greatest game of all time

Not sure about 'greatest' - but I really liked it.
It's like this bizarre mix of Mirror's Edge and Hotline Miami that had no business being this good - but it is.
And in very real terms - it's the actual successor to Mirror's Edge we never got, including stylistically.

The only stain against the game is the platform mechanics really are pretty frustrating at a few points. The game also takes a really long time to actually open-up the level design a bit more(very very late in the narrative), which given the pretty punishing difficulty early on, means a lot of people may never get to see the best it has to offer.
I really don't get the complaint about the level design. That's one of the best parts of the game if anything. If not, the best aspect of the game. Even from early on the level design has so much variety and depth to it. There are rail gliding sections, sliding through hazard sections, grapple sections, wall running sections etc which are all combined together to make traversal/platforming engaging. Just because there is challengingly "frustrating" platforming between encounters doesn't mean it is "poorly designed". I would rather this than just walk in a straight line to the next encounter like in other games.

Last edited:

darrylgorn

No Way GIF

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
An okay game, but you must have poor taste to put it in the same league as true GOATs like Half-Life 2, Bloodborne, Final Fantasy XV and Mario 64 to name but a few, true classics.

No idea why i'm getting LOLbombed so hard. This is a gaming discussion subforum in a gaming discussion forum, no? Or do we only talk about news, business practices and analyze hardware instead?

🤔🤔🤔

An okay game, but you must have poor taste to put it in the same league as true GOATs like Half-Life 2, Bloodborne, Final Fantasy XV and Mario 64 to name but a few, true classics.
FFXV is heavily flawed and absolutely nowhere near Ghostrunner in terms of game design quality. I'll admit it's better than the edgy FF purists make it out to be but just no. The story is a mess, the gameplay is just hold circle and abuse healing items which cost virtually nothing. You can easily tell the game was rushed and there are things missing. Average at best

Mario 64 is one of those games overhyped for how much it innovated but doesn't hold up at all when you go back to play it. I don't judge games purely based on how much they innovated, what matters most is how it plays. People place way too much emphasis on innovation and "classic" status. Games can innovate but still play or age poorly.

Last edited:

Fbh

Wouldn't call it the GOAT, nor put it in my personal top 20.
But I did really enjoy this game, it reminded me how I miss more skill based platforming in games before everything went the Uncharted/Assassins Creed autopilot mode.

No idea why i'm getting LOLbombed so hard. This is a gaming discussion subforum in a gaming discussion forum, no? Or do we only talk about news, business practices and analyze hardware instead?

🤔🤔🤔

Dude, around here people get "Lolbombed" for suggesting 96 Metascore and 300+ Goty award winning Elden Ring is the best game ever. A thread about Ghostrunner wasn't going to be any different

Wouldn't call it the GOAT, nor put it in my personal top 20.
But I did really enjoy this game, it reminded me how I miss more skill based platforming in games before everything went the Uncharted/Assassins Creed autopilot mode.
Yeah, that's part of why I like it so much. It is a breath of fresh air compared to modern gaming.

Aion002

Ehh... It's fine. For me it's more like a qte game. It's fun on short doses, otherwise it gets annoying quite fast and there isn’t much too enjoy other than learning the patterns.

I played a couple of hours and ended up forggeting it.

b0uncyfr0

Its a good game but even though it looks awesome to watch - its much harder to play. I gave up after the first level.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Mario 64 is one of those games overhyped for how much it innovated but doesn't hold up at all when you go back to play it. I don't judge games purely based on how much they innovated, what matters most is how it plays. People place way too much emphasis on innovation and "classic" status. Games can innovate but still play or age poorly.

I don't agree that Mario 64 is overhyped. It's a game that rightly received universal praise when released and is still regarded as one of the greatest games ever made. It is literally a "GOAT". A classic. A timeless masterpiece. A lot of those words are overused, but ring true for Mario 64. It's a game that earned its place in this history books of video games as a true innovator.

Has it aged? Yes. It's a N64 game made in the 90s. But being old doesn't mean it's not in the video game hall of fame. A games innovation and contribution to video games should be a major reason to consider it as one of the greatest ever made. Judging the gameplay and graphics with games of today is pointless.

Ghostrunner is a good game, but it's not a true classic that changed the gaming landscape like Mario 64. It's just a good game. No more, no less.

Its a good game but even though it looks awesome to watch - its much harder to play. I gave up after the first level.
It's one of those games where there is a steep learning curve at the start but once you get past it things become relatively smooth sailing for the rest of the game. Like Megaman.

I like that since respawning is literally instant, at least it makes dying over and over whilst trying to adapt to the difficulty much more bearable.

Top Bottom