• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hot Take: Ghostrunner is the greatest game of all time

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Obi Wan Hello GIF by Star Wars

Patrick S.

Banned
This is kinda like Mirror's Edge, isn't it?

I remember I downloaded the demo on Switch and tried to check it out with my drifting joy cons but it was impossible to play so I deleted it :/

This is kinda like Mirror's Edge, isn't it?

I remember I downloaded the demo on Switch and tried to check it out with my drifting joy cons but it was impossible to play so I deleted it :/

Yeah, it has similar wall running parkour mechanics in first person.

Just get the game on PS5 if you have that since it's 60fps. The switch version is always going to compromise the game in some way so that it can run. And if you do intend on playing the switch port, i'd highly reccomend using a pro controller rather than joy cons.

Patrick S.

Banned
Yeah, it has similar wall running parkour mechanics in first person.

Just get the game on PS5 if you have that since it's 60fps. The switch version is always going to compromise the game in some way so that it can run. And if you do intend on playing the switch port, i'd highly reccomend using a pro controller rather than joy cons.
I think I even might have the game on PS5, because I remember seeing it listed as a PS+ title… I’ll check it out during the weekend then :)

P.S. I finally fixed the joy con with replacement hall sensor sticks I got the other day ;)

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I platinum'ed it and it's one of my greatest gaming achievements. Perfect controls for console and that's a rare thing. Gameplay is top notch and surely some of the greatest in newer times - arcade-wise - up there with Returnal.

Looking forward to Ghostrunner 2.

I platinum'ed it and it's one of my greatest gaming achievements. Perfect controls for console and that's a rare thing. Gameplay is top notch and surely some of the greatest in newer times - arcade-wise - up there with Returnal.

Looking forward to Ghostrunner 2.
Ghostrunner 2 is going to knock it out of the park. I'm guessing there will be two swords this time! I also really want to see where they take the story next now that mara and the architect is defeated.

time for all the edgy contrarians on the forum to come swarming in and shitting on your opinion like clockwork

he aint attacking that overrated JRPG from 25+ years ago that you consider the GOAT, calm down before yall start with your drive by gifs and posts
Cool, an anti-contrarian contrarian appears. Way to spark an interesting discussion.

On topic, this is a cool thread because this game was off my radar until now.

Katajx

Gold Member
I like the aesthetic and the music, but the gameplay loop doesn’t look like my cup of tea. I am glad you enjoy it though! It looks interesting.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Ghostrunner 2 is going to knock it out of the park. I'm guessing there will be two swords this time! I also really want to see where they take the story next now that mara and the architect is defeated.
I think we're heading up to the ground. Ghostrunner and Hel felt like going up all the time - I think we'll be going more forward for destinations and in a more bright setting, although I love the dark setting.

Wildebeest

Glad you liked it. I got bored with it halfway through and dropped it. Needed more gameplay variety more interesting levels, the puzzle sections were less of a break than a chore.

I think we're heading up to the ground. Ghostrunner and Hel felt like going up all the time - I think we'll be going more forward for destinations and in a more bright setting, although I love the dark setting.
If anything they need to keep it's the dark setting. I can't see a sequel working at all if they made the tone lighter.

And yeah they should go down the tower next game to explore the slum areas more.

Sleepwalker

I've had this in my backlog for forever, probs not gonna be my GOAT but I appreciate you making a sincere thread about a game you enjoy and elaborating why. I'll download and give it a whirl on the weekend maybe.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Has any other viseo game survived this long while still being popular and without really changing mechanics at all?
Nope.
Which is why Tetris has to be the greatest game of all time.
A rerelease in 2023 is the second highest rated game of 2023(so far).

It's got a while to go before it can top chess, but I think it'll make it eventually.
Whats the last 90+ rated Chess videogame that sold well?

[Sigma]

I thought I would like this but just didn't like the controls on console with controller. Played it for a couple hours and that's it. Don't know if i'll be able to get the motivation to play it again.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Never heard of it, not for me from what I've seen.

I prefer stuff like Ghostwire.

Never heard of it, not for me from what I've seen.

I prefer stuff like Ghostwire.
To each our own. Ghostwire felt mid and underwhelming imo. The combat needed a lot more depth. The game as a whole felt like a generic open world game just in first person.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It might not have been so positive if you hadn't said that, imo. Really takes the wind out of peoples' sails when you frame behavior a certain way
maybe, idk. i didnt want the topic to immediately become negative because the OP wasn't praising some established darling of the gaming community. it's nice to see that he's made many people try the game out though

MirageMew2

It’s more of a first person action-puzzle imo, in the same genre as SUPERHOT. On PS5 it’s my go-to 120 FPS demonstration. Definitely a fun a game.

Whats the last 90+ rated Chess videogame that sold well?

Chess.com had over 10 million concurrent users at one point in January of this year.

It's free, so it hasn't sold any copies, nor is it on Metacritic, but... it's chess. Staying relevant for 2500 years probably earns it an honorary "Must Play"

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Not sure about 'greatest' - but I really liked it.
It's like this bizarre mix of Mirror's Edge and Hotline Miami that had no business being this good - but it is.
And in very real terms - it's the actual successor to Mirror's Edge we never got, including stylistically.

The only stain against the game is the platform mechanics really are pretty frustrating at a few points. The game also takes a really long time to actually open-up the level design a bit more(very very late in the narrative), which given the pretty punishing difficulty early on, means a lot of people may never get to see the best it has to offer.

kicker

Banned
Of all time. That is indeed una toma más caliente
And here I am struggling to justify having Neon white as my 2nd best of 2022 based purely on gameplay

Guilty_AI

That post aged badly. This thread was far more positive than I expected
Game is good, and also not incredibly popular which at least shows OP has his own opinions regardless of them being peculiar, so its easy to shrug it off.

Its would be much more seetheable if it were some mainstream game, i will never not roll my eyes when i hear someone saying things like "God of War 18 is the best game evah!"

Last edited:

JakeWolf

I don't know about KBM I don't play games on PC but probably controller. I can't imagine a KBM working well for a high speed action game like this and isn't required for such a simple control scheme either.
You know KBM is the best option for high speed action games right? I am saying that as someone who gamed on the PS4 for 6 straight years before switching to PC. Like...literally every single ''high speed action'' E-Sport match is played in KBM.

I was just asking if the game's control is well suited for KBM since some games can feel a bit off with it

Last edited:
Top Bottom