• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House GOP may pass Senate's "skinny repeal" outright. CALL YOUR SENATORS.

McCain also could have just said "I'm not voting for this" hours ago when he was asked instead of thinking he's a fucking Sorkin character and telling people to watch the show well after midnight.

Now that the super urgent part is out of the way I hope we can get some of these dickheads out of the white house in the next couple months

Davide

I want fucking apologies from the authors of the 200 hot take op-eds shitting on McCain's legacy that were published over the last two days. This was so much more powerful than McCain just not showing up to vote.

Same here. I never expected McCain to vote yes on this.

The hate for him here was insane.

greepoman

I want fucking apologies from the authors of the 200 hot take op-eds shitting on McCain's legacy that were published over the last two days. This was so much more powerful than McCain just not showing up to vote.

As someone else said he probably came back because he thought the GOP actually had a plan and was going to debate and work things out. He was perfectly happy to vote for a shitty plan like BRCA.

I think he realized voting for bill that isn't even a plan is terrible so I give him credit. But I think he still will vote to take away healthcare as long as it's an actual plan.

KSweeley

Finally, 1:56 AM EDT, session ended!!!!

ggTWdkb.jpg

Joeku

some of y'all quick to call mccain a "hero again" here...really should look into the rest of the shit he's voted in for a while now

I'd like to believe that voting to not take away the insurance of 16M+ people is not heroism but basic human decency, and McCain is absolutely part of the reason this even came to within a single vote of happenning...

But he, Collins, and Murkowski nonetheless did the right thing tonight. Kudos to them for that.

McCain also could have just said "I'm not voting for this" hours ago when he was asked instead of thinking he's a fucking Sorkin character and telling people to watch the show well after midnight.

I'm pretty sure he's making a hard statement here. I think he's had it with some of the bullying and strong arm buffoonery being displayed and wanted to shame them.

Allard

No.

He could have ended this all two days ago by just staying in his warm comfy hospital bed.

Actually despite my misgiving with McCain on this subject and the heart attack he caused me and many people this might be for the best it ended up this way. They would have just tabled it and tried to revisit it again at a later time but by actually putting the plans to a vote and putting hard evidence and willingness to stop the bills it gives a certain finality to the saga even if deep down a lot of them might already be wanting to try and revisit. They tried, it was put up for a vote, and it failed.

Honestly if he were a definite no vote they would avoid proceeding and keep their ability to pass with 50 votes rather than 60. I still don't like McCain, but this scenario ended as well as possible for dems

If you're going to lionize any Republican tonight, lionize Murkowski.

When McCain was getting handjobs for being convinced to vote no, she was sticking to her guns while a bunch of senators surrounded and tried to bully her into changing her vote.

Xe4

Banned
Adjourned until Monday. Gotta take this shit a day at a time.

I don't think McCain is a hero for what he did in the senate. He's a war hero certainly, and brave for fighting cancer, but I don't take that into consideration when voting for him. I think he's voted for a lot of shitty stuff, yet I still have some tiny sliver of respect for him, and like half a dozen other republicans. I'm sure I'll never like him, even when he dies, but I won't shit on his grave. Wouldn't even if he did ultimately get this passed. He can still ruin my opinions on him as far as healthcare is concerned, by passing some other fucked up bill.

But I think we can all agree what he did tonight was commendable. He was the person to ensure the ACA survived, even if just for a little while longer.

ZeroRay

As someone who isn't American and is completely ignorant of American politics, how long until you guys are completely in the clear? When are the repubs going to stop trying to repeal Ocare?

Short term: Hold out till 2018 and hope Dems get at least 1 house of Congress to stonewall the president.

Long Term: Gov option, make it something most people will be pissed off at if they lose it.

Have to apologize to McCain. Definitely has more of a spine than I thought on this matter. More fan Heller, the idiot. Have to give props where props is due as far as that goes, and as many disagreements as I still obviously have with him, I love him for killing this.

That said, McConnell can get fucked forever. Yes, I am happy. Happy that people got to keep their insurance and that you didn't strip it away from millions of people just for fucking tax cuts. You want to see what ideas Democrats have? Then actually return to normal order, and work with Democrats, instead of trying to do everything all on your own, completely in secrecy. Because you'll quickly find out, they have more ideas than you do, you disgusting inhuman monster.

Props to McCain, Murkowski, and Collins (and obviously Schumer and the Dems). And holla to Trump for attacking Murkowski and directly going after her and her state, which likely only further resolved her vote (and also for attacking McCain for being a POW if that factored into McCain's decision here). And also, get fucked, you stupid orange. Can't wait for his Twitter meltdown when he gets the news.

As someone who isn't American and is completely ignorant of American politics, how long until you guys are completely in the clear? When are the repubs going to stop trying to repeal Ocare?

I think the repeal effort is dead now. Any remaining bill is going to require 60 votes, which means bipartisan support, which means no repeal.

However the Trump admin can still crash the markets via withholding insurance subsidies, and the entire repeal effort has put the market in flux and prices are probably gonna have another dramatic price increase for 2018 plans (they're determined in ~June, but I think they can be altered a bit before they hit the market and so aren't officially announced until the end of the year if I understand it correctly).

Also Trump admin could potentially veto anything that passes with ~60 votes, which would then require a larger supermajority to override the veto which the bill might not have.

Basically tons of stories tomorrow will have lots more information about where healthcare can go from here.

Made it agonizing for all of us, sure, but so much worse for Trump.

Revenge is a dish best served after midnight.

KHarvey16

Nate with a decent point:

To echo Perry’s point — I was seeing some snark on Twitter earlier about how everyone will suddenly change their opinion about John McCain. To which my response is: well, shouldn’t this change people’s opinions? This was a huge deal. It’s not quite right to say he singlehandedly killed the GOP’s health care reform efforts — Collins and Murkowski were also important, obviously — but his choices made a huge difference in a bill that will affect a lot of people’s lives and a lot of his colleagues’ political fortunes. And he did so in dramatic fashion, in a way that will create a lot of embarrassment for McConnell and Trump. So it’s absolutely a big deal. It’s like if you had a quarterback who you always thought was overrated as a “clutch” performer and then that quarterback leads his team from 14 points down to win the Super Bowl. You have to give a lot of credit for that and not be too wedded to your priors going in.

This was embarrassing as fuck for McConnell. How poorly run must they be to go into it and fail like this?

mjp2417

Banned

McCain's a fucking drama queen, but he still ultimately did the right thing tonight. There is no harm in conceding both. They're not mutually exclusive. It also meant McConnell tears on live tv which is basically priceless.

Murkowski and Collins are the unsung heroes of the night.

I guess I'm glad that McCain made the obvious choice to not look like a hypocritical pos.

I bet senate republicans are really getting tired of Collins and Murkowski right about now. those women and their ovaries stopping them from killing poor people

Nasbin

You want us to hand-wave away all the other warmonger-y shit he's done? Keating Five scandal? Just because of one vote?

What?

Incredible. For the last week all you and others have wanted to do is hand-wave away everything positive John McCain has ever done. McCain-Feingold? Detainee Treatment Act? Cap and trade? Just because of one vote.

The cognitive dissonance is a joy to read.

kess

Nah, I'm glad it came to the floor. We know everybody's real convictions and Trump goes into apoplexy at 1:30 in the morning. Fuck Trumpism with good old protocol..

Apharmd

Yeah. I have to give Murkowski props tonight as well. Thanks for reminding me and shame on me for forgetting to talk about her.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
If you're completely up for indulging in pettiness (hey, it's earned) I highly suggest tuning into Fox News for abit. Their inability to hide their content is truly something right now.

His speech vs McConnell's is like night and day. So sad this is what the Senate has become.

Even the body language was night and day. McConnel held his back to the Dems and Schumer faced the Republicans. If there was any doubt which party is refusing to work with the others that should have told you.

Xe4

Banned
Nate with a decent point:

This was embarrassing as fuck for McConnell. How poorly run must they be to go into it and fail like this?

I thought this was going to pass, because why bring it to a vote if it's going to fail?!? Why bring Pence, unless you're 100% certain you have the votes? It's an embarrassment, and they know it. Everyone knows it, which is why parties don't vote before they're pretty fucking sure it's going to pass. It's embarrassing, and I'm so happy. Maybe they'll finally stop trying to push this dumbass "let's kill the ACA at all costs" shit. Doubtful though.

If y'all want to thank McCain here's a way to reach him:

https://www.mccain.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/contact-form

It's the middle of the day here in Korea, but I'm insanely happy for my home country right now.
Everyone in Arizona, Alaska, and Maine should call their Senator and thank them. Even if you're not actually thankful, it matters. Positive reinforcement is important as well. Fuck, thank every senator of your state that voted against this shit bill.

Top Bottom