• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can I reduce social anxiety?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prez

Somewhat this. I can talk to anyone these days. Something about not giving a flying f and just diving into conversations with people and just going wherever the talk goes. You would be surprised at how many folks who look uptight just erupt in a cacafony of words if you just nudge them a bit with an observation or just a simple "nice weather". Just talk to as many peolpe as you can. Everywhere.

And exercise your body as much as your mind. Run. Bike. Lift weights.

Do something

I'm pretty sure that could make things worse too. You're waiting for the bus, you say "nice weather" to the guy next to you and all he says back is "yeah" and you don't know what to say next. I'd be really embarrassed. Or maybe there's a short conversation and you sit together on the bus for half an hour. There would be so many moments you've got nothing to say. All those awkward silences would kill me.

I will definitely exercise though.

Bladenic

Honestly I really do believe exercising would help a lot. If you start feeling good about yourself and your appearance you will instantly project that on your persona. And people will notice. On the other hand, you really just have to do things that are not comfortable enough that you won't feel so nervous doing them. Not giving a fuck is definitely a big help, but obviously not everyone can say they're able to give zero fucks about most things.

I'm not being a dick, I'm trying to cheer you up when I say this, but your issue is within your means to combat it. It just takes a little work and focus. In the realm of mental health problems yours is on the level of dropping 5 lbs for swimsuit season.

51WHIyqjqAL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1572245530/?tag=neogaf0e-20

First book I found on Amazon and it seems like a good one.

If you think all it takes is "a little work and focus" you are out of your damn tree. There are all different levels of how affected someone can be by social anxiety disorder and telling someone to "sack up" is the exact opposite of what could possibly help them.

Take it from someone that has struggled there entire life with it, It is not as simple as alot of people tend to make it out to be.

olore

I feel like when I'm in public I have a pretty "bitchy" expression as a defense mechanism so people won't talk to me.

I wish I could one day be able to do this. Sounds like such a pipe dream.

You can. When I say "talk" I as much if not more mean "ask" and "listen". People want to be heard, to be seen. Try to talk to the next old gentleman or madame you see today, tomorrow, next week. Not a single one will turn their nose at you, I can promise you, and you will get excellent training in just being there and then talking to a fellow human.
I used to be really bad with handling everyday situiations, but sooner or later you realize that it feels great to drive a conversation, listen, ask follow up questions and generally be receptive and be positive instead of having "what if..." thoughts in the back of your mind.

Flow, fly, do not give a fuck

bhytre

Face your fears gradually in small steps and don't run away from it by staying home. You'll keep building confidence and comfort this way and at the very least your anxiety won't be as bad.
Don't know the severity of your social anxiety but you can start small by going public places like supermarkets and parks for as long as you can take it and add more time every other day. Go see a movie alone, eventually even go to a swimming pool and take the train to some place nearby that you've never been before.

Take your time with it but make it a regular thing and expose yourself to these places that you feel vulnerable in, you will naturally start to feel that it isn't as bad as your mind tricks you into thinking it is.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm not being a dick, I'm trying to cheer you up when I say this, but your issue is within your means to combat it. It just takes a little work and focus. In the realm of mental health problems yours is on the level of dropping 5 lbs for swimsuit season.

51WHIyqjqAL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1572245530/?tag=neogaf0e-20

First book I found on Amazon and it seems like a good one.

This sounds like a good, evidence-based book. I second the recommendation. And what could be an easier way to start than with a book? Especially compared to approaching strangers.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I've had social anxiety for most of my life. 1.In the last two months I have quit everything that helped me deal with it (smoking, energy drinks and the medication I've taken for 3 years). Since then I've been getting anxious more frequently. 2.No problem when I'm in busy places but as soon as I have to talk I get frightened. Even worse when someone starts talking to me, I just freeze and don't know what to say. This hasn't been as much of a problem when I was taking medication.

3.I no longer want to be dependent on meds and drugs, so I'm looking for natural ways to reduce anxiety. Therapy hasn't helped much so far and my next therapy session isn't until August. Alcohol is a big no no as well.

4.Does exercise make a big difference? Any foods that help reduce anxiety?

1. Excellent step and the most important one imo.

2. Don't try and control any situation, just understand that nothing irrational is going to happen. You won't die. Realize that it's a normal activity and that everyone does it.

3. Eventually and soon enough you'll be "normal" just stick to what you said, don't depend on any crutches, fight through it.

4. Of course, best advice I can give you is go to the park for 1-2 hours a day in the afternoon if you can from 5pm+ and breathe in that natural air, sit on a bench, jog, sit again, etc etc etc this will help you normalize fast.

Eat green apples and almonds as comfort snacks, take omega 3 supplements..

I forced my self off anti-depressants/anxiety meds (3month period) and dealt with panic/anxiety attacks for a while (Crohn's Disease screwed me up big time physically and mentally for 1 handful of years), you'll keep getting better and better. Just keep doing what I told you and you'll be liberated man.

Prez

Honestly I really do believe exercising would help a lot. If you start feeling good about yourself and your appearance you will instantly project that on your persona. And people will notice. On the other hand, you really just have to do things that are not comfortable enough that you won't feel so nervous doing them. Not giving a fuck is definitely a big help, but obviously not everyone can say they're able to give zero fucks about most things.

Actually I'm a very handsome guy and I look even better since I quit smoking. Yet my anxiety got worse. Is a good appearance the only reason exercise helps? In that case it wouldn't help me at all.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Face your fears gradually in small steps and don't run away from it by staying home. You'll keep building confidence and comfort this way and at the very least your anxiety won't be as bad.
Don't know the severity of your social anxiety but you can start small by going public places like supermarkets and parks for as long as you can take it and add more time every other day. Go see a movie alone, eventually even go to a swimming pool and take the train to some place nearby that you've never been before.

Take your time with it but make it a regular thing and expose yourself to these places that you feel vulnerable in, you will naturally start to feel that it isn't as bad as your mind tricks you into thinking it is.

This is good, too. Don't let your anxiety force you into hermitage. Don't let yourself get accustomed to staying home all the time; your shame and fear of interaction will only increase. Being out in the world, where you feel some danger of social embarrassment, will be helpful in building up to actually engaging in conversation.

olore

I'm pretty sure that could make things worse too. You're waiting for the bus, you say "nice weather" to the guy next to you and all he says back is "yeah" and you don't know what to say next. I'd be really embarrassed. Or maybe there's a short conversation and you sit together on the bus for half an hour. There would be so many moments you've got nothing to say. All those awkward silences would kill me.

That will "kill you" if you allow it to do so to you. They are just words. If a fellow human don´t wanna talk; cool, that`s fine. That`s life. Next one who is doing or wearing or reading or playing or driving an interesting car or are doing something that piques your honest attention, talk to that person. Dare be naked and ask and talk from the heart and no one will ever get you down. Ever

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Actually I'm a very handsome guy and I look even better since I quit smoking. Yet my anxiety got worse. Is a good appearance the only reason exercise helps? In that case it wouldn't help me at all.

Your circulation gets better, your brain will be less stressed about other things, it's not just physical appearance but your inner workings.

A machine works better lubricated right?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I exercise out of vanity for the most part, but I'm sure it reduces stress and probably can take the "edge" off of general nervousness.

Can you give some examples of a situation in which someone talks to you and you freeze up?

stop masturbating

I'm serious

within day 3 I got myself a gym membership and started running.
This. Natural hormones (testosterone, dopamine and others) will kick that anxiety in the teeth.

Try to forget the fact that everyone is judging you, and make no mistake, they are.
Everyone around is usually thinking about what others think of them. In short: People are too busy thinking of themselves to really bother with you.

Actually yeah. Once you realize that other people really don't give a fuck about you it becomes easier to deal with. I always try to be super accommodating to people anyway a lot of the time though :X.

Ever since i stopped giving a fuck about what people think of me i have been far more social than i have before and have had girls seem really interested in me.

The Boat

I had some anxiety issues a few years ago, not necessarily like yours, I got lots of stomach problems so it lead to me getting nervous pretty much every time I left the house and consequently I would get really nauseous and stuff. It did a number on my life.

So yeah, it's not like what you're going through, but believe me when I say that with some work on your part you can get over it and you'll look back and be amazed on the progress you made on things that seems trivial to most people.

I agree with what others are saying: don't give a fuck. Most people don't give a fuck about you either and if they do... don't give a fuck about them. Other people don't think or notice things about us nearly as much as we think.

Baby steps are a good advice too, try to push yourself a little further every time, get a little out of your comfort zone, don't think too much and be yourself. It's OK if things don't go well, no big harm will come of it and you'll come out stronger. With time you'll get there without even noticing and all the control you had to force upon yourself will become automatic. Don't think "did I level up, am I better now?", whenever you do stuff, it will come naturally.

If nerves are really bad try meditating, nothing fancy or esoteric, just relax, get comfortable, close your eyes, breathe deeply and slowly and clear your mind. It helps to focus on just one thing like your breathing or maybe picturing a simple image. This helped me a lot.

There are great hypnosis therapies, but I don't know how easy it is to find a trustworthy doctor who does this instead of crackpot witch doctors, but if you can find a reliable one it could be a huge help.

Just remember that you don't need to be a social beast if you don't want to, you don't need to know 10 000 people, bang every chick you see and go to every party if you don't want to. Improve yourself little by little, don't stay in the house all the time, get into some activities, the friends will come and your problems will fade away.

Good luck!

Prez

This. Natural hormones (testosterone, dopamine and others) will kick that anxiety in the teeth.

Really? I've always had a very high sex drive, it's driving me crazy sometimes. I've been drinking a lot of soy milk since last week and that has helped a bit.

way more

If you think all it takes is "a little work and focus" you are out of your damn tree. There are all different levels of how affected someone can be by social anxiety disorder and telling someone to "sack up" is the exact opposite of what could possibly help them.

Take it from someone that has struggled there entire life with it, It is not as simple as alot of people tend to make it out to be.

I'm not talking about your anxiety, I'm talking about his. His has a recent history, doesn't seem to be majorly affecting his life, and he's noticed it before it begin crippling him.

I've had social anxiety for most of my life. In the last two months I have quit everything that helped me deal with it (smoking, energy drinks and the medication I've taken for 3 years).

What medication were you taking and why did you stop? I take paxil for depression but I noticed that once I started taking it I could suddenly remember peoples names.

olore

Givng this some further thought I will say that the current social yoke of "awkward moments" kills the human spirit. Dare run through that MFn wall of bullshit social rules, fears n` shit and flow above that. Be who you want to be, ask want you want to ask and be respectful and ready to listen and the world/gurrlz will be at your feet.

How old are you btw?

well, the advices are always the same:

(i suffered of Avoidant personality disorder myself)

1) Became a better person, physically (if you're fat try to lose weight, if you're too much slim try to gain some. Try to have the better appearance possible in public, buy better dresses etc etc) and intellectually (became interested in something that could use to start conversations and to find something in common with other people). Remember always that most people are not beautiful and/or particularly intelligent and yet they have a normal social life.

2) Try to stay and talk with others as much as possible. The first times it will be embarrassing, but slowly you will relearn your social skills. I know that it'e really, really difficoult, but we are social animals, everyone of us is capable to have a good social life.

3) Try to have a better opinion of yourself, and always think that anyone has his problems and demerits, and not everyone is always judging you.Do not overanalyze yourself.

i know it's very hard (it was for myself) but it's possible.

Prez

I'm not talking about your anxiety, I'm talking about his. His has a recent history, doesn't seem to be majorly affecting his life, and he's noticed it before it begin crippling him.

No, it IS majorly affecting my life. I have no friends and I'm too scared to go out and make friends. I go out with my cousin a few times a months but I'm too frightened to talk to strangers. I've also developed the fucked up belief that unattractive people aren't worth my time, but that's mostly the hormones and something that could be solved by getting laid.

What medication were you taking and why did you stop? I take paxil for depression but I noticed that once I started taking it I could suddenly remember peoples names.

Zoloft. I quit because it didn't help me that much. Normal conversations were doable but making and maintaining friendships was still an impossible task. It did make me able to teach though, I'm not sure I could do that again without the meds.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Do something really stupid and embarrassing. You'll see it's only awkward the first 20 secs or so to other people and then realize they don't care, after that it's easy, be careful tho, I made a fool out of myself tons of times after that

If you want to be more confident skating in the ice rink, what do you do? What about driving in traffic? Or playing demanding games online? There's your answer when it comes to a vast majority of people with social anxiety. With skill comes confidence. With practice and good intentions and good observation comes skill.

shamanick

As someone who has struggled with social anxiety my whole life, the "fake it till you make it" or "act as if" approach can work sometimes. You picture yourself as a confident, secure, and interesting person and you can fool people most of the time (which is kind of the point, right?)

Varjet

I feel with you, OP.
I have so much social anxiety, the first time i registered at an internet message board I was too afraid to actually post something.

kehs

Banned
http://www.socialanxietyinstitute.org/mailing.html

Their literature is pretty great.

Some things are really easy to do. The first few things that help:

When you're feeling anxious about something, slowly count to 5 while focusing on your breathing and re compose yourself mentally. Five seconds might seem like an enternity when you're feeling hot, sweating dripping down, and worried about what the other person is thinking about you at the moment, but it willl pass. Take those five seconds and focus on what you want to say next.

Part of helping with the "getting quiet" part is working on your vocalization. This will require you to read aloud to yourself for 15 - 20 minutes a day. Thinking and talking are two different things. You'll probably notice you start spitting a million words a minute and tripping over your own thoughts. When you notice that. STOP, breathe and talk s-l-o-w-e-r. It'll help focus on your thought and what you want to say.

An important part of overcoming social anxiety is catching those shitty self negative thoughts that pop up (the SAI calles them "ants" as in automatic negative thoughts). If you can catch yourself berating yourself and realize it's wrong you can refocus your own thoughts.

I went through a big bout of social anxiety, it comes back every now and then, so realize this isn't something that you'll take care of for a year and never think about it. The reason you have social anxiety is just bad biology. Accept it and do whatever you can to overcome it.

I put my hands in my pocket and pinch my leg when it gets bad.

It doesnt stop the anxiety but it "feels good"...

It come and goes too..
Sometimes I can be cool and chatty, some days I cant make eye contact with people and I fumble my words.

Im just not good with people in general and i get lucky from time to time and have good days.

Fury Sense

Fuck it, be yourself. Don't force yourself to do all this shit you know makes you uncomfortable like walking up to strangers that don't interest you at all. What you want is the freedom to be honest with yourself and others. So just say fuck it and do it. Their feelings will get hurt, you might think you're being mean, but eventually your life will change and you'll be surrounded by different people. Being honest will turn off a lot of people in the beginning but at the same time you'll be exerting peer pressure as a side effect. Honesty makes a person more interesting. Instead of needing to conform to them, being confident that you are doing what you believe suits your character will be more powerful than common chitchat and people will even try to impress you. Maybe a lot of what I said is a bunch of bullshit extrapolation, but I do know that when you're honest with yourself and others, you feel better. You might think you already are, but I mean, come on. Look at this thread and compare how you feel in this very public conversation to how you would feel having it in real life.

And the exercise thing isn't for looks, it's because it makes you feel awesome. P90X is awesome (especially for beginners that don't want to be treated like noobs).

Have you tried humor? I find there is no better way to connect with people, whether they be strangers, co-workers, friends or even lovers. And the best humor comes from a place of truth. You say you get anxious around people? Maybe you should comment on that. Use self-deprecation and joke about your social shortcomings. People appreciate complete honesty, it's always refreshing when someone lets their guard down and say what they are really thinking in the moment.

Booya

Neo Member
baby steps, the more you do in the direction the bigger then sum of your success will be.

first of all i was hellishly aware of myself in the past. got a bit better now, but this thing helps a lot if you want to stop being anxious. You know how you want to be ina conversation so you can act that way. I saw this as a game sometimes. I had only one blind date in my life. I realized if things go bad i wont see that person again, so there is no real reason to be afraid of anything. I thought how fun it would be to add a certain fun to the date and decided to act like don draper. it was a fun night to say the least. do crazy stuff like that and you will realize that there is nothing to be afraid of.

There are lots of activities that help you battle anxiety and i can count myself lucky that im only a nerd at heart and seem like a confident person , but i had my years back in the day where i was a class clown as well as someone who coulnt lead a simple conversation (with girls for example) and acted out on being weird.

Lets see what baby steps you can do. if i compare theories to myself, dont interpret me as a arrogant schmock, ill just try to show concrete examples. the general idea, as mentioned here already, is this "doesnt care" additute. if you say something weird who cares, you are awesome and you know it. wich leads to the fact that you HAVE to like yourself. it can help when you are confronted by this anxienty to think about a quality that you have which the other person doesnt. im a music buff and know every god damn good series out there. it doesnt matter if this is a geeky quality or not, the only fact that matters is that you realize that you are an awesome individual. so think, well even if i say something stupid, at the end of the day i rock. this sounds corny as hell but it helps and the point is to think positiv.

the bonus tip is to stop masturbating for three months. srsly it helps. you WANT to talk to people and socialize, at least thats my observation on myself.

hang out with tons of different people. now you may argue that you dont have many friends but you are willing to battle anxiety, so i take it you have an urge to socialze. go to partys even though its not that easy to do dozens of partys if you are the only one who doesnt drink. kudos for stopping smoking, its still on my to-do list.

find other activities. i started hosting a radioshow last year and it boosted my self-confidence to a new lvl. do things you love in combination with people. if your into films, try to shoot something amateury. when you have the lead on some project whatsoever you autimatically will communicate with the people involved due to the motivation of your own quality control.

Dies Iræ;37567426 said:
Get a job in retail.
This actually isn't bad advice. I was essentially in the OP's shoes, and then I got a job at a sandwich place. Spending 3+ years running the register and talking to customers did wonders for reducing my anxiety. That plus there are a bunch of pros like (hopefully) having co-workers there to help the conversation and some default topics to talk about. Assuming the OP or anyone with anxiety is in their late teens or early twenties, though.

kehs

Banned
Fuck it, be yourself. Don't force yourself to do all this shit you know makes you uncomfortable like walking up to strangers that don't interest you at all. What you want is the freedom to be honest with yourself and others. So just say fuck it and do it. Their feelings will get hurt, you might think you're being mean, but eventually your life will change and you'll be surrounded by different people. Being honest will turn off a lot of people in the beginning but at the same time you'll be exerting peer pressure as a side effect. Honesty makes a person more interesting. Instead of needing to conform to them, being confident that you are doing what you believe suits your character will be more powerful than common chitchat and people will even try to impress you. Maybe a lot of what I said is a bunch of bullshit extrapolation, but I do know that when you're honest with yourself and others, you feel better. You might think you already are, but I mean, come on. Look at this thread and compare how you feel in this very public conversation to how you would feel having it in real life.

And the exercise thing isn't for looks, it's because it makes you feel awesome. P90X is awesome (especially for beginners that don't want to be treated like noobs).

Don't listen to this guy.

There's a difference between not wanting to interact with people, and wanting to interact with people and not being able to.

It's easy to misconstrue something like social anxiety for introversion.

Seanspeed

Banned
If you want to be more confident skating in the ice rink, what do you do? What about driving in traffic? Or playing demanding games online? There's your answer when it comes to a vast majority of people with social anxiety. With skill comes confidence. With practice and good intentions and good observation comes skill.

Yup. You gotta put yourself out there.

Exercise is as close as you're gonna get to an 'easy way out', and it'll work wonders, but other than that, its down to you and your willpower to change yourself and get out of your comfort zone. The ideas about talking to cashiers in line and stuff is good advice. Yes, you'll probably feel awkward and uncomfortable doing it at first, but keep at it and it'll start to feel more and more normal.

I've never really had bad social anxiety, but I remember after taking public speaking in school, I realized how shy I acted. I didn't look people in the eyes when I talked to them, I kept conversations short and didn't know how to continue on with one if I wasn't familiar with the person or have something obvious in common. I mumbled, I slouched, I touched my face a lot, etc. But this all went away by just acting more assertive. And yes, it'll be acting at first. You'll have to force yourself to do these sorts of things, but its worth it in the end.

lunchtoast

It's difficult when you realize you can't speak for shit, or that conversations that you DO have are basic and boring.

Or if your social circle is full of assholes who interrupt you anyways to say some other shit.

That's my main problem, I suck at conversations and never have anything to talk about.

As for the OP, maybe try L-Tyrosine pills?

qcf x2

Smile or laugh. I find humor in awkward silences or unanticipated responses. Also, "nice weather" is a funny thing to say. It's pretty much a dead-end, unless you know the person.

I was forced to read this book for work, and the piece I remember the most involved how to properly create conversation with a stranger. As I recall, the suggestion was to pick out something you like about the person, even if they aren't particularly interesting looking. Curly hair, bright colored shoes, etc. It works, and it invites conversation, where "nice weather" invites a grunted response.

Anyway, keep on keeping on. You know you have a problem, which is a good sign. You consider yourself attractive, which is also good.

Prez

Smile or laugh. I find humor in awkward silences or unanticipated responses. Also, "nice weather" is a funny thing to say. It's pretty much a dead-end, unless you know the person.

I was forced to read this book for work, and the piece I remember the most involved how to properly create conversation with a stranger. As I recall, the suggestion was to pick out something you like about the person, even if they aren't particularly interesting looking. Curly hair, bright colored shoes, etc. It works, and it invites conversation, where "nice weather" invites a grunted response.

Anyway, keep on keeping on. You know you have a problem, which is a good sign. You consider yourself attractive, which is also good.

I have that book! Thanks for reminding me!

This is impossible for me. I'm ashamed of my anxiety. I don't tell anyone about it because no one understands. I've done that before and I haven't known a single person who understood and supported me.

That's why your approaching strangers.

Perhaps you should try LSD to help console your fears.

SpiffyG

That's why your approaching strangers.

Perhaps you should try LSD to help console your fears.
This is terrible advice. I took LSD once and my trip was a giant ball of fear and anxiety.

This actually isn't bad advice. I was essentially in the OP's shoes, and then I got a job at a sandwich place. Spending 3+ years running the register and talking to customers did wonders for reducing my anxiety. That plus there are a bunch of pros like (hopefully) having co-workers there to help the conversation and some default topics to talk about. Assuming the OP or anyone with anxiety is in their late teens or early twenties, though.
I'm a pretty shy, quiet, introverted, anxious person and worked at a cosmetics store for two years. Some days I would be on fire, and other days I just had the hardest time even pretending like I wasn't fearing everything around me. I worked there for two years... I'm still a pretty anxious person.

cacophony

"stop giving a fuck" is so much easier said than done. i try but it's hard for me to still completely not care how other people see me

This is terrible advice. I took LSD once and my trip was a giant ball of fear and anxiety.

If taken alone and in ones lonesome quarters, then yes that can happen. But, if your with a person you trust, who you are comfortable revealing intimate secrets with, then it can change your life in a positive way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom