• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you feel about cleaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love it.

Taking a break right now from cleaning the house from top to bottom. I like to make sure the entire house is clean before I enjoy something like, say, a new video game console and Zelda game.

I find it very relaxing. Put on some music or background program like Mystery Science Theater 3000 and get to work. Then when you're done, relax and enjoy your clean house/apartment/room/car/etc...

How about you? Do you enjoy cleaning? How often do you clean you place/car/etc?

TNr0Bj0.gif

Ran rp

i like cleaning in games. that's it. i try to keep things clean for as long as possible to delay the process lol.

i love organizing stuff though.

PSY・S;231013738 said:
i like cleaning in games. that's it. i try to keep things clean for as long as possible to delay the process lol.

i love organizing stuff though.

What's an example of cleaning in a game that you enjoy?

Taking a break right now from cleaning the house from top to bottom. I like to make sure the entire house is clean before I enjoy something like, say, a new video game console and Zelda game.

I feel exactly the same way, amusingly. Like, every big release I've been looking forward to merits a spring cleaning-esque investment. Cleaning is super cathartic for me. That said, I'm awful at doing it efficiently so although when I'm done everything is surgically clean, it takes me like 8 hours to get there and I live in a tiny apartment.

I do really hate doing dishes, incidentally. The worst.

I enjoy it, specially when I get a flow going and just chill with some music.

But dust though, that shit is annoying since it comes back so quickly.

KarmaCow

I'm not opposed to having a mess but I agree, it's very relaxing to just kinda zone out and clean. The only exceptions are when there are tiny details like getting rid of flecks of dust or dealing with something vile like a bathroom with vomit.

I'm a janitor. Clean up your own shit people!!!

It's fine for the most part, but I don't clean my home anywhere near as often as I should

More of a fan of cleaning up after myself than I am of fan of cleaning messes.
However when I have some cleaning project "today I shall clean my bathroom" etc I tend to go hard, and make an event of it, music playing etc.

I absolutely cannot stand cleaning around other people though. I will not do that shit if someone else is home. Don't really know why but it makes me feel super uncomfortable.

I just need my house to be relatively clean and tidy.
So yeah, i don't mind cleaning. Better than to constantly be distracted by a mess.

clav

What about cleaning up people in hospitals who shit on beds?

You would love becoming a new hire nurse.

Ran rp

What's an example of cleaning in a game that you enjoy?

anything from pulling weeds and killing roaches in animal crossing to clearing menu notifications to wiping away digital dirt in a touch based minigame. the best is when it's a main mechanic.

super mario sunshine was so good

Lucumo

For some reason I have the urge to clean other people's places but not my own.

I'll be very happy to give you my address :p
Not a fan of cleaning, so I always do the minimum while not making anything dirty in the first place. It works reasonably well.

clav

PSY・S;231014756 said:
anything from pulling weeds and killing roaches in animal crossing to clearing menu notifications to wiping away digital dirt in a touch based minigame. the best is when it's a main mechanic.

super mario sunshine was so good

What about bed bugs + carpet beetles?

Do nurses do that? I though it was the orderlies that do.

I suppose nurse is not the proper term, but I guess some people call themselves nurses.

Fliesen

'Cleaning' in the sense of vacuuming, wiping the floors, wiping the bathtub and sink, etc. - is something i dislike because i'm someone who likes to make permanent progress in what i do.
Cleaning in the 'cleaning' sense is by definition a Sisyphean task - especially if you have 2 cats.
I don't mind cleaning - i don't get grossed out by anything really, i'll shove my whole arm into the toilet and clean it with a sponge, if i need to...

Cleaning in the sense of 'getting rid of stuff i don't need anymore' gives me an eery sense of satisfaction as it resembles a partial, but permanent decluttering of my life.

Fuchsdh

I don't care for it but I do it because I'm not a caveman.

Yep. Figuring out a way to make it halfway enjoyable (listening to podcasts or the like while doing it) is pretty key for a lot of people, but sometimes I just enjoy that I zone out on something repetitive and I get the satisfaction of seeing things clean, even if it's ephemeral.

The only kind of cleaning I like to do is when I go around throwing away stuff. Shit like that is cathartic.

Yeah as much as I like stuff recycling all the random papers I accumulate and getting rid of/donating old clothes and stuff feels pretty liberating.

Fliesen

Yep. Figuring out a way to make it halfway enjoyable (listening to podcasts or the like while doing it) is pretty key for a lot of people, but sometimes I just enjoy that I zone out on something repetitive and I get the satisfaction of seeing things clean, even if it's ephemeral.

Yeah as much as I like stuff recycling all the random papers I accumulate and getting rid of/donating old clothes and stuff feels pretty liberating.

so good. Once the winter's over, there'll be plenty of "i haven't worn these the entire season" winter clothes i'll be able to donate.

CHC

Love cleaning the house, throwing open the windows for some fresh air, bleaching the shower and toilet, getting my wood floors as clean as a mirror. It feels really good relaxing in a 100% clean house.

I HATE doing laundry though. Every single part of the process, I hate beyond all reckoning. The worst part is the fact that the folding time escalates as it goes on, such that the process seems to literally have no end - as you get deeper down into the basket of unfolded clothing, the items get smaller and smaller until you're just stuck with dozens of assorted socks and then you truly know how Sisyphus felt.

gatling

Love cleaning the house, throwing open the windows for some fresh air, bleaching the shower and toilet, getting my wood floors as clean as a mirror. It feels really good relaxing in a 100% clean house.

I HATE doing laundry though. Every single part of the process, I hate beyond all reckoning. The worst part is the fact that the folding time escalates as it goes on, such that the process seems to literally have no end - as you get deeper down into the basket of unfolded clothing, the items get smaller and smaller until you're just stuck with dozens of assorted socks and then you truly know how Sisyphus felt.

Ive never been able to explain my hatred for laundry but this is close. Like why. And of course I have to hang up stuff so I dont look like a slob for the week but whyyyy

But cleaning is great stress relief and makes me feel like I have shit under control in my life I don't kill me.

RMI

Banned
Sweep the main area of the house once a day, cat litter every night, kitchen counter wipe down daily, dust, vacuum, mop, and declutter weekly.

It keeps me sane.

I dont mind tidying, sweeping, moping and such. But when I have to spend the day scrubbing tile, I'm done. I hate doing super deep cleans. Final result is nice though.

120v

because i live alone [forever alone.jpg] i clean as little as possible. some vacuuming and dusting on the weekend, and once a month or two i'll hire a cleaning lady for the rest ... i don't get to be home much so i prefer to spend "me time" cracking open a six pack and playing games or whatever

shira

I love it.

I find it very relaxing. Put on some music or background program like Mystery Science Theater 3000 and get to work. Then when you're done, relax and enjoy your clean house/apartment/room/car/etc...

How about you? Do you enjoy cleaning? How often do you clean you place/car/etc?

TNrBj0.gif
How clean are we talking here - can you perform surgery on your toilet?

geestack

not a fan, but i live alone so someone's gotta do it. i don't like having messes and try to be preventative by cleaning at the same time every week.

strangely, i do like buying new technology related to cleaning. bought a roomba knock off and a new battery powered vacuum which has been pretty good. now i just need an auto-duster or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom