• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you feel about Global Warming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

.GqueB.

Banned
I honestly don't care all that much. I acknowledge that it's happening and it sucks but it's not something that is likely going to affect me in my lifetime so it's hard to really give that much of a shit.

And let's be honest, nothing is going to be done anytime soon to combat it so at this point we're just taking about it endlessly for no real reason.

happypup

My air conditioner broke today, so I am more concerned about local warming today.

As far as global warming is concerned, we are headed into dangerous waters. We may have already passed the point of no return. I don't suspect we will end up like Venus over this, We still don't know how the Earth's climate will respond over the long term to a short term (I hope) massive influx of carbon into the carbon cycle. Already we are seeing the effects of global warming. I imagine if we stop using fossil fuels over the next ten years we will still have a rough ride over the next 100 (or thousand). Eventually though the carbon released through the burning of fossil fuels will balance out. Life is hardy, and is a powerful stabilizing agent on our atmosphere. Humans are adaptable, we will probably survive well enough.

We may see billions die in our lifetime, thousands of species go extinct, and completely new coastlines but I don't think it will come to that.

I know it is hypocritical that I am complaining about not having air conditioning when it is contributing to the problem, but it is almost 90 degrees in my place and I don't care much about hypocrisy at this point.

^^^^ modern technology is nothing ro be ashamed of. It's unsustainable, ubiquitous modern tech like gasoline engines that are the embarrassment
I honestly don't care all that much. I acknowledge that it's happening and it sucks but it's not something that is likely going to affect me in my lifetime so it's hard to really give that much of a shit.

And let's be honest, nothing is going to be done anytime soon to combat it so at this point we're just taking about it endlessly for no real reason.
Loser talk. You can always berate your congressperson about it.

Small, but every little bit counts. We need to chip away at the politics of this, because it's the biggest obstacle.

Famassu

The earth will be fine.... Let's just hope WE can adapt (and the other species too).
The nature isn't adapting and even if it were, we are destroying it at an ever increasing rate. We are currently already going through mass extinction and things are only going to get worse when people don't do anything about their habits.

SJRB

Gold Member
Given the fact that I, as an individual, have zero influence in this situation I'm not particularly bothered by nor interested in any of it.

Sepp

Banned
Humans can cope, somehow, but I think for animals it will be too fast to adapt. I expect mass extinction.

Has there ever been such a fast increase in temperature on earth?

You're talking about a human race that can't grasp the concept that spending your paycheck before you earn it is a bad idea.

People can't think a few months ahead, let alone a few decades or a hundred years (if we don't blow eachother up with nukes or some biological weapon before that)
We are fucked

Maybe in x million years whatever species rises from the ashes will look at us as as any other extinct species: unable to adapt to its environment.

happypup

The nature isn't adapting and even if it were, we are destroying it at an ever increasing rate. We are currently already going through mass extinction and things are only going to get worse when people don't do anything about their habits.

Death and extinction is an important part of nature adapting. Earth has survived some pretty massive extinctions, it will probably survive this one.

Famassu

Death and extinction is an important part of nature adapting. Earth has survived some pretty massive extinctions, it will probably survive this one.
A shitty argument. This is all man-made, this is not adaptation, this is pure mass-slaughter/-destruction. Sure, there have been mass extinctions before and sure, life survives and those have been somewhat key moments in the history of life on Earth, but this isn't about natural extinction where the atmosphere changes and some species just don't survive that, it's animals & plants disappering that could very well adapt and survive if it weren't for humans. It doesn't really have to be this way.

orion434

It's not "Global Warming" anymore, it's Climate Change. The warming took a vacation over a decade ago. If the temp is expected to rise by 5 degrees C in a century... that's 1 every 20 years. Currently it's been oscillating at like +0.4 from the average established in 1979. I think in 1998 it hit +1.0 C.

When a 5-year average holds above +1.0 C then we've got a problem.

Brandson

The only realistic way to reduce CO2 emissions is by developing much more efficient and much cheaper solar technology. If it's cheaper than coal/gas/oil/nuclear and can be relied upon under any weather conditions, then businesses, governments, and consumers will use it. This could happen with better solar cells, and with better large-capacity batteries that charge much faster and hold a charge longer without losing efficiency over time. The production of those batteries would also have to be less harmful to the environment than current battery technology as well. With the number of people working on solving these problems, the solutions seem likely to occur within the next hundred years, or sooner. Global warming is probably not going to eradicate all human life in the interim.

Another possibility is in gathering excess CO2 from our atmosphere, or before it gets to our atmosphere, and launching it beyond Earth's atmosphere into space. If we can control how much CO2 gets trapped in our atmosphere, then we could theoretically pump out as much of it as we want without causing further warming. The first person to solve that problem is going to become very wealthy, especially since it's a solution that big energy companies are likely to favour. However, there may be other unforeseen consequences to removing so much carbon from the Earth, never to return. Hopefully any such consequences would be less catastrophic than the end result of global warming.

Famassu

The warming took a vacation over a decade ago.
No it didn't. That's mostly just BS that came from using somewhat incomplete data that climate change sceptics ran with to the press.

I'm optimistic. My hope is that we'll deal with it before it kills us off, and we have some time for that yet. I'm very optimistic about technology and the future, so that probably colours my opinion... but I mean, what's the alternative?
Technology isn't the answer. It can only delay the inevidable, but us humans need to change our ways of living as well. We have been making great strides in making more efficient technology and all kinds of other progress, yet we are still wasting more resources by the day because a lot of people aren't willing to make even the smallest changes to the way they live.

Yeah... no. Global warming is the reality. As is climate change. Deniers *have* obfuscated the message irrespective of which label was used.
The general direction is to the warming side, but the thing is that even in the worst case scenario the average temperature won't rise more than a few degrees celcius and the change won't be the same everywhere. Some places might stay relatively similar while others are way above the average temperature rise. This will simply sound small & inconsequential to a lot of people, as they don't understand that the average changing that much can have some dire consequences (i.e. long time ago, in large parts of Canada, some lakes were completely dried up as the average temperature was just, IIRC, ~1*C higher than it is now). Climate change is the better term when discussing all of this and global warming is just one part of that.

SamVimes

It's not "Global Warming" anymore, it's Climate Change. The warming took a vacation over a decade ago. If the temp is expected to rise by 5 degrees C in a century... that's 1 every 20 years. Currently it's been oscillating at like +0.4 from the average established in 1979. I think in 1998 it hit +1.0 C.

Climate Change in which the temperature is rising...
How is that different from global warming?

That's not even going into the rest of the post.

kitch9

Banned
The best thing man can do to solve global warming is crack the nuclear fusion riddle..

Then miniaturize it.

Then improve the storage of the energy it creates.

We are spending billions on wind farms and solar which is the climate equivalent of farting in the wind, divert that spending onto fusion, stat. The process exists, nature has shown us it can be done, lets figure out a way to fucking do it.

commedieu

Banned

Global warming is a charged word imo. Where as climate change is a literal science backed study/observation.

happypup

A shitty argument. This is all man-made, this is not adaptation, this is pure mass-slaughter/-destruction. Sure, there have been mass extinctions before and sure, life survives and those have been somewhat key moments in the history of life on Earth, but this isn't about natural extinction where the atmosphere changes and some species just don't survive that, it's animals & plants disappering that could very well adapt and survive if it weren't for humans. It doesn't really have to be this way.

I am not arguing anything only explaining that nature is adapting, and it is doing it through extinction and death. We have the power to stop ourselves, and potentially lock ourselves into a perfect inter-glacial climate for all time. I would be fine with this. I would prefer we stop what we are doing, and let the earth recover naturally. What we absolutely should not do is do nothing.

KrellRell

The best thing man can do to solve global warming is crack the nuclear fusion riddle..

Then miniaturize it.

We are spending billions on wind farms and solar which is the climate equivalent of farting in the wind, divert that spending onto fusion, stat. The process exists, nature has shown us it can be done, lets figure out a way to fucking do it.

A reactor for every household. Sounds crazy now, but I can see it.

Derwind

I always love when people preach to me that climate change isn't real and that scientists make up bogus numbers because "The Agenda".... or "winter was really cold this year lol global warming".

The climate is not the same as the local weather, climate is a long term "trend" that is not affected by your day to day, month to month, year to year forecast.

This is a trend that will ultimately follow its own path based on the chemical changes on planet. It can be deciphered using ancient fossilized sediment. Glacial core readings. And other still useful indicators that all converge on one thing.

The non stop burning of fossil fuels will take us in a bad direction. No one but the most to profit give a fuck about the state of oil as our main energy source. With so many alternative energy sources its amazing how self defeating we have become as a species. Or maybe we always were but needed this to expose us.

.GqueB.

Banned
Loser talk. You can always berate your congressperson about it.

Small, but every little bit counts. We need to chip away at the politics of this, because it's the biggest obstacle.
Yea I guess but again, I don't care all that much. Not enough to be bothered to do anything.

Azulsky

Then miniaturize it.

They cant build ITER fast enough.

It is surprising that we had to put together an international effort to pursue it but maybe its such a brainsink and labor sink it works out better this way

You are misinformed

KHarvey16

The warming on a global scale, or global warming, is causing the global climate to change. It isn't either-or. And warming has certainly not stopped.

orion434

Do some searching on just the data collected. No blogs, or articles and make your own conclusions.

http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/news/20140121/

Am I reading this data wrong? Look at the graph from 2000 - present, it's all around +0.4 C to +0.6 C Maybe the average is closer to 0.5.

It's not rising, it's staying average.

OgaKratos

I think it's a huge problem. The world needs to move on to cleaner sources of energy. However this may not be good news for certain regions that rely on more traditional forms of energy for GDP.

Dilly

Banned
We live in a world where humans aren't reaching their maximum potential because of the boundaries it has set itself many years ago (money for example)

The less fossil fuel we keep burning (such a barbaric way to produce energy, advanced society my ass) the better, but I'm convinced that to actually fix what we caused, can only be fixed by actively scrubbing the atmosphere of CO2.

The money that every national team in the World Cup is worth, could deliver so much scientific advancement. Humanity's priorities are ridiculously fucked up.

Ugh. I don't know. Perhaps us humans are due for a massive beat-down from nature for not being able to act upon a risk that we know about but operates on time scales that humans can't really sense.

I think the reason so many people still can't accept evolution is that humans are incapable of fully comprehending geological time scales. That same problem is preventing people from appreciating climate change.

For example . . . .

Do some searching on just the data collected. No blogs, or articles and make your own conclusions.

http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/news/20140121/

Am I reading this data wrong? Look at the graph from 2000 - present, it's all around +0.4 C to +0.6 C Maybe the average is closer to 0.5.

It's not rising, it's staying average.

Really? You just think it magically stopped? Nothing to worry about anyone!

Escalator_2012_500.gif

Irobot82

For example . . . .

Really? You just think it magically stopped? Nothing to worry about anyone!

Escalator_2012_500.gif

Am I reading that correctly. From 1970 to now we've had a 0.6 C increase in global temperature?

Edit: guess someone already asked that. This is confusing. I thought we were in a few degrees by now? What's the margin of error? Or is this all 100% accurate?

Am I reading that correctly. From 1970 to now we've had a 0.6 C increase in global temperature?

Edit: guess someone already asked that. This is confusing. I thought we were in a few degrees by now? What's the margin of error? Or is this all 100% accurate?

It doesn't have to be a lot for it to have an impact.

KHarvey16

If the temp continues to just oscillate between +0.4 to +0.6 for the next 15 years those lines are meaningless.

Like I said in my 1st post if a 5-year average holds above +1.0 then it's trouble.

The point is the very obvious trend is for it not to do that. So yeah, if the temperature stops rising...the earth will stop getting warmer. Good analysis.

Savitar

In short?

We're fucked.

But it won't take some biblical catastrophes until something begins to get done about it.

And even then they'll still deny it's man made, I say biblical for a reason.

The actual air warming (driven by CO2) has been limited by extra cloudcover from pollution and the oceans absorbing most of the heat.

Anybody got the ocean temp graph handy?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Technology isn't the answer. It can only delay the inevidable, but us humans need to change our ways of living as well. We have been making great strides in making more efficient technology and all kinds of other progress, yet we are still wasting more resources by the day because a lot of people aren't willing to make even the smallest changes to the way they live.

Technology is really the answer. Technology means things like... better energy production, so that we do not have to use fossil fuels. It means alternative carbon sinks. It means more accurate data tracking and weather simulations. It means better recycling and 'greener' products.

Technology is in my opinion, the only realistic solution. Expecting the world to suddenly have a lifestyle change is not.

Jindrax

I always find it strange how politicians saying shit like "get rid of all the foreigners omg they're evil and dangerous" get taken more seriously than the impending doom of the I dunno... world

M3d10n

Well, I always wondered how modern civilization would fare when Earth's climate isn't in it's hospitable moods. Will we survive the next ice age (without reverting back to the stone age in the process)?

Your star trek future will never happen if this attitude prevails. Will cease to be sci fi and become simple fantasy.

Actually, wasn't mankind basically living post-apocalyptic future before meeting the Vulcans in the Star Trek universe?

I am a geologist, and everything I have seen and read suggests that its probably too late to do anything major to stop the current trends. You could shut down every carbon emitting source on the planet and it would probably be too little, too late.

However, I do believe in the ingenuity of humans, and that we will be able to mitigate a lot of effects with advances in technology. Not geo-engineering (which is terrifying), but by reductions in emissions and infrastructure engineering.

I think that green technologies will eventually reach a tipping point of cost effectiveness and convenience which will allow a rapid integration globally and it will be to the benefit of everyone.

What do you think about the idea that some scientists have had about trying to put the oceans on "steroids?".

The census is that the Algae and Plankton eats up 50% of humans CO2 footprint. That means, if we could put something in our oceans to make much more plankton and algae, they believe the oceans could eat up even more of our CO2 emissions.

Personally this line of thinking sounds like the beginning of those water-world type movies. If you want real-life Godzilla this is how you get them.

But then again.. Plankton and Algae are good for many things in the oceans?

It's very real, but given how the "alternative" of choice seems to be impractical renewables that won't help at all, we're fucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom