• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you like your chicken wings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flkraven

I live fairly close to Buffalo, so I've got quite a few options for chicken wings. Recently I've seen an increase in variety, options, flavors, dry rubs, breading, etc. So which are the best type? What are the best 'chain' wings? What are your best local wings?

Some things to consider:

Breaded vs Unbreaded
Bone-in vs Boneless
NY Style Sauce (basically hot sauce) vs BBQ Style (spicy sauce mixed with a sweet like BBQ/ketchup) vs Dry Rub
Outside the box flavors
Big vs Small
By the pound vs By quantity

Personally, I don't consider boneless wings even wings. They are just sauced up chicken nuggets. Other than that, I just go with whatever I'm feeling. My preference is a big, breaded, saucey chicken wing (typically medium with a little bit of sweetness). Google images example:

5f822aee7566e79a9cbb224c8bf29982.jpg

Shout out to a relatively local spot: Mick and Angelos in Niagara Falls has great bread chicken wings.

For somewhat decent, make-at-home wings: Costco's big pack in the raw chicken section (not frozen). They come pre-seasoned and are actually quite crispy after baking.

I don't really know what the best 'chain' wings are, since I typically get all my chicken winging done at local bars/restaurants. I remember Buffalo Wild Wing wasn't bad, but I wasn't impressed with the prices.

Honestly, I like them pretty plain. Think KFC Hot Wings. A little bit of spice, but not too much. I don't like em covered in sauce, it's messy enough as it is.

Luke_Wal

I really enjoy Buffalo Wild Wings, mostly because we don't have many options around here.

I'm not against the boneless wing - getting too hung up on the format of the chicken seems dumb to me.

I don't love buffalo sauce, but it's good from time to time. Prime Bdubs wings: Sweet or Honey Barbecue, Lemon Pepper dry rub, Spicy Garlic, or Parmesan Garlic.

Eat them with fries, dip them in ranch.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I thought the bones cook the meat different, makes it juicer? I'm not knocking boneless but the meat tastes different to me.

Boneless wings aren't wings, they're chunks of chicken nuggets and they aren't nearly on the same level as legit wings. Every place that offers 'boneless wings' brings out these awful over-cooked bread chunks that try to break your teeth.

The two best wings I've had are two different styles. There's a place by me that smokes all of their wings, and then when you order them, they pull them, drop em' in the flash fryer real quick with their rub, and then sauce them for you. Though my favorite is just to get the Old Bay rub and call it a day. They are big, meaty, and super juicy... excellent wings.

The other is the opposite end of the spectrum. It's a dive bar, and they do Spicy Garlic wings that they fry hard and crispy, and those are awesome. I could eat them till I explode.

Breaded vs Unbreaded - Unbreaded. Breading just covers up the flavors of the meat and adds texture the wing doesn't need.
Bone-in vs Boneless - Boneless wings are just sauced chicken nuggets. Make mine bone in.
NY Style Sauce (basically hot sauce) vs BBQ Style (spicy sauce mixed with a sweet like BBQ/ketchup) vs Dry Rub - I'm a New Yorker so I love me some Buffalo wings, usually medium spicy but I'll go hotter sometime. BBQ wings are good too. Not a big fan of Dry Rubs - they don't coat the wings very well.
Outside the box flavors - I like to tap into weird flavors every now and again, like garlic sauce or mixing Buffalo with BBQ. Garlic parm wings are amazing. I also love Sweet Chili wings.
Big vs Small - big drumsticks, baby
By the pound vs By quantity - Just give me a plate full, I'm happy.

Duxxy3

Not too picky. I like them overcooked. No interest in undercooked chicken.

Can go breaded or unbreaded, but probably prefer unbreaded.

Don't like buffalo sauce, so not that. BBQ, Teriyaki or some sort of mustard are fine. Probably try others.

I consider boneless chicken wings to be chicken tenders.

DOWN

Banned
The OP pic of buffalo wings is true wings to me

That shitty restaurant Buffalo Wild Wings just dumps sauce on plain unbreaded wings and it is nothing like real buffalo wings

Breaded
Bone-in vs Boneless: If bone in big, I don't want bone in and small. Boneless is acceptable but they must be crunchy.
Garlic Parmesan flavor is the best, I'll take the hit to my breath because it is soooooo good.

Boneless wings aren't wings, they're chunks of chicken nuggets and they aren't nearly on the same level as legit wings. Every place that offers 'boneless wings' brings out these awful over-cooked bread chunks that try to break your teeth.

The two best wings I've had are two different styles. There's a place by me that smokes all of their wings, and then when you order them, they pull them, drop em' in the flash fryer real quick with their rub, and then sauce them for you. Though my favorite is just to get the Old Bay rub and call it a day. They are big, meaty, and super juicy... excellent wings.

The other is the opposite end of the spectrum. It's a dive bar, and they do Spicy Garlic wings that they fry hard and crispy, and those are awesome. I could eat them till I explode.

Well now I need those two on a plate.

DrArchon

If I'm not struggling to keep my hands clean from sauce then I'm not having a good time with my wings. The more sauce the better. BBQ, Buffalo, sweet and sour, you name it. I better be leaving the table having used up more wet-naps than I can count.

I'm typically a Teriyaki guy, but this new Chinese place near me makes these braised General Tso's wings that are just fucking amazing.
Also a big time fan of smoked wings.

Also, Bone-in, all day err'day.
If you want to go boneless, find a BBQ place that does sauced tenders.

Alexlf

Wicked spicy garlic based sauce with a hint of sweetness, and a side of blue cheese dip for, well, dipping. 11/10, absolutely delicious.

I agree that wings without bones aren't wings, but that doesn't make them any less delicious or enjoyable to eat.

hoserx

Agreed, boneless wings are just chicken nuggets. That being said, I love an unbreaded, deep fried to a crisp wing with a mild-hot classic buffalo sauce.

LakeEarth

I've never met a chicken wing that I didn't like. I guess as long as it isn't snot-inducing suicide levels of hot, I'll enjoy them.

flkraven

Wicked spicy garlic based sauce with a hint of sweetness, and a side of blue cheese dip for, well, dipping. 11/10, absolutely delicious.

I agree that wings without bones aren't wings, but that doesn't make them any less delicious or enjoyable to eat.

Yeah, they taste good but it just doesn't feel like the 'wing' experience. Like, if I feel like chicken wings, then I'm looking for bone-in. It's like, if I feel like fried chicken, I'm not ordering popcorn chicken. Similar idea.

I don't mind bones, but if I have the choice, I'll go boneless.

I don't like getting my hands messy. Been like that as long as I can remember. So when I eat finger foods, I don't like to touch saucy, messy stuff. So I prefer things like lemon pepper or garlic parm wings. Some flavors can defeat my childish weirdness though; a good sweet BBQ sauce can't be beat.

Breaded for dry wings, no breading for saucy wings.

I like variety, so my answer to the question in the OP would be "yes."

When I make them myself, I prefer to smoke them over cherry wood and reverse sear them.

mf.luder

Not breaded, bone-in, medium size (skin to meat ratio), crispy, dry hot (just enough to flavour them but not swimming in the sauce), franks hot + butter.

flkraven

I don't mind bones, but if I have the choice, I'll go boneless.

I don't like getting my hands messy. Been like that as long as I can remember. So when I eat finger foods, I don't like to touch saucy, messy stuff. So I prefer things like lemon pepper or garlic parm wings. Some flavors can defeat my childish weirdness though; a good sweet BBQ sauce can't be beat.

Breaded for dry wings, no breading for saucy wings.

Man, you just need to embrace messy hands when eating. All the best hand-foods make you messy (Ribs, chicken wings, etc). I know I'm having a good time if my hands look like I just delivered a baby.

kris.

Banned
i went through a period where i wouldn't touch bone-in wings. that period has passed. bone-in with no breading is clearly the superior choice. covered in hot sauce. yessss.

zeemumu

Boneless wings are basically chicken nuggets/strips.

I usually like breaded a little more (depends mostly on who made them) but I'll eat both.

CHC

The ones in the OP photo look perfect.

Fried, crispy, just enough sauce to coat the wings, but none to drip off or pool underneath. And yeah, "NY style sauce" is where it's at. Like, if you don't cough from the vinegar when you bring the wing up to your face, then it's weak. Don't need nuclear spiciness though.

And the two-bone piece >>>>>>>> drumstick. All about that surface area.

highrider

Banned
Ehh, wings are like blue crab, delicious, but I have to eat like 90 of them to feel satiated. But I guess I like the sort of standard Buffalo wing.

the1npc

Fried and hot with a nice pint.
Also is good to makr at home just cook in oven in crisp on bbq, not as bad for you

Lenardo

Banned
You know wings for me ..2 ways

way 1- 3 options breaded with some flour and spices, deep fried, then either served as is with a honey mustard sauce or tossed in a golden bbq sauce- or franks red hot mixed with melted butter. condomint- nothing for first, blue cheese dressing for second.

option 2..Preferred way takes ~3 hours Smoked Wings.
wings are prepped without the tip, but whole- slice between the joint partially to allow for easy separation after done.

fire up the cabinet smoker. mix up my special wing rub- while smoker getting to temp, toss wings in wing rub. let sit for ~10 minutes or so (rubs DO NOT absorb into the meat, only the salt in the rub does, so leaving a rub overnight is...pointless besides making day of preparation a bit easier) -- smoker at 225. apple or cherry chunks, put wings in.. close door, walk away for 2 hours..(while keeping an eye on smoke and temp)

after 2 hrs, mix up about a cup of bbq sauce and a tablespoon or so of tiger sauce brush on wings with a silicon brush...close door...30 minutes later, flip wings, brush wings with sauce,,, close door..30 minutes later EAT..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom