• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you like your chicken wings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1 Deep fried and crispy. This is a must. I've seen baked hot wings. Gtfo here.

#2 Unbreaded. It's not KFC with sauce on it.

#3 Bone in. Anything less is a strip or a nugget. I've seen places say boneless wings made from breast meat. The breast is not the wing. They're different parts of the chicken. That's literally not a wing, boneless or not.

#4 Blue Cheese... Always forward, never backwards.

Duxxy3

There's a smokehouse named Barque that does them smoked with a dry rub.

A6jrdlB.jpg

Best wings I've had in my life.

Ooooh that looks really good.

mm04

That being said, I love an unbreaded, deep fried to a crisp wing with a mild-hot classic buffalo sauce.

Unbreaded and deep fried is the foundation for any good wing for me. Sauces can vary, but I'm not fond of wings that are breaded and aren't deep fried. I need that snap.

Boneless (yeah, I know they're just fancy nuggets, but they're so much more convenient)
As spicy as possible (if it doesn't cause you physical pain, then they're not good)
And with blue cheese on the side.

My only criteria is bone-in. After that, I love all wings. It's really hard to fuck them up. An Italian place by me makes wings in the pizza oven, with sliced onions, garlic, and hot Italian peppers. They are pretty good. I also know an Irish place that smothers wings in a whiskey barbecue sauce. It's deliciously sweet. The mango habenero wings at Buffalo Wild Wings are also gud. Spicy but not too spicy. And classic buffalo wings are always a treat. I love them all.

One thing I notice frequently is that people who don't like wings don't eat them because they don't want to get messy. My wife was like this when I met her. She would use reams of paper towels or napkins, cleaning her hands after every wing, and would just give up eventually. That's doing it wrong. You gotta just embrace the mess, and clean up once when you're done.

Tetra-9

My favorite lately has been 10 bone-in, non-breaded, extra crispy wings covered in Habanero Buffalo sauce with a side of ranch.

I tried some bonded wings recently and they tasted good but the breading soaked up way to much of the grease and I felt ill after eating 5.

flkraven

My only criteria is bone-in. After that, I love all wings. It's really hard to fuck them up. An Italian place by me makes wings in the pizza oven, with sliced onions, garlic, and hot Italian peppers. They are pretty good. I also know an Irish place that smothers wings in a whiskey barbecue sauce. It's deliciously sweet. The mango habenero wings at Buffalo Wild Wings are also gud. Spicy but not too spicy. And classic buffalo wings are always a treat. I love them all.

One thing I notice frequently is that people who don't like wings don't eat them because they don't want to get messy. My wife was like this when I met her. She would use reams of paper towels or napkins, cleaning her hands after every wing, and would just give up eventually. That's doing it wrong. You gotta just embrace the mess, and clean up once when you're done.

Yeah, no idea why some people turn into lady Macbeth getting all paranoid about their hands. Smash those wings into your face and deal with the mess afterwards.

EhoaVash

I vastly prefer Boneless.

Eating "real wings" feels like a mess. With bones there is less meat and honestly every time I got with bones, felt like a ripoff

Vinc

Let me be very clear first: there is no such thing as a bad chicken wing, unless sabotage is involved. If you see a bad chicken wing, you know that thing's been unfairly abused, and whoever did it needs a stern talking to.

That said, unbreaded, bone-in, hot sauce covered, and large sized is definitely the diamond in the pile of slightly less shiny diamonds.

A_Dang

Bone-In, (hot) buffalo sauce. Sometimes request "extra crispy."

Garlic Parmesan can also be very good.

My wife prefers boneless "wings" so we do those sometimes.

Major shout-out to Duff's Famous Wings. Anchor Bar may have invented the chicken wing, but Duff's perfected it. The sauce they use has an extra vinegary bite to it, and are decently crispy. If you ever want to know what true wings are supposed to taste like Duff's is the place to go.

ZOONAMI

Deep fried (not baked) no breading, light buffalo sauce, sometimes you get them and they are sitting in like 2 inches of sauce.

Bleu cheese, carrots, and celery on the side.

I like em just like OP's pic, albeit cooked pretty crispy/well-done.

Boneless wings aren't wings, they're literally just chicken nuggets fuck off with that shit

.JayZii

Banned
Bone in, un-breaded with buffalo sauce is my favorite. I'm down for pretty much any variation of chicken wing though.

And boneless wings are indeed just chicken nuggets (or tenders if you're lucky).

I vastly prefer Boneless.

Eating "real wings" feels like a mess. With bones there is less meat and honestly every time I got with bones, felt like a ripoff

I enjoy boneless wings admittedly, but they aren't my first choice and I certainly don't consider them wings. There isn't less meat on bone-in wings, you just need to learn how to eat them. Don't be afraid to get in there and pull the meat out with your fingers if you have to. And if you aren't making a mess of yourself, you're doing it wrong.

Sch1sm

I like my wings breaded and its sauce set my tongue on fire tier.

I've never even had boneless wings, I never think to order them specifically.

DOWN

Banned
Wait so do people like them in the classic breaded and buffalo sauce fashion shown in the OP or not?

Klotera

Bone-in for sure. My favorite is grilled with a good dry rub.

If anyone is in the KC area, you have to go to The Landing in Liberty, MO and have Chico's Dry Rub Wings. Best wings around. Big, juicy, and their dry rub has amazing flavor.

McBryBry

I love bone in and boneless even though boneless aren't even chicken wings. Fried aren't my favorite, rather have baked. Sauce wise, a good buffalo sauce never fails, but I like pretty much anything that isn't a ranch or garlicy sauce. There's a place around here called Gilliganz that has a Snoop Dawg sauce (all of their sauces are named like that) that is my favorite. Its like a sweet spicy type that has just the right amount of burn. They also have a green sauce called The Creeper that's hot as fuck.

NandoGip

Unbreaded, matter of fact you slow cook em (crock pot or oven) on a grill type thing so the fat melts off, leaving you with crispy wings
Bone-in ALWAYS
Dry rub with dipping sauces
Big freaks me out, makes me think about all the scientific shit the chicken was fed. Just go for organic and eat them whatever size.
By the pound all day.

I've been trying out a few things, and I wanted to get a grill type stand thing you put inside of a crock pot. I cooked wings in a crock pot and they came out amazing but it was kind of cooked in its own fat so they didn't come out crispy.

p.s. anyone know what the thing is that you can put in pots that look like a grill so that you can cook whatever you're cooking with it touching the bottom of the pot. Kind of like a steamer but shaped like a grill

RangerX

Banned
I never even knew boneless chicken wings were a thing. How does that make sense?

Personally I like mine extra spicy non breaded. I live in Ireland though so theres not exactly great selection.

I like my wings breaded and its sauce set my tongue on fire tier.

I've never even had boneless wings, I never think to order them specifically.

I've never understood this. I do enjoy a good super hot wing, but I typically prefer something with some flavor, not something I then have to drink a ton of milk to quell the pain of.

A bar around here serves Honey Sriracha wings, those things are MONEY.

creatchee

Aren't boneless wings just chicken nuggets?

No. Chicken nuggets are made of GROUND chicken from any meat source of the animal (which parts depend on where you buy the nuggets from), which is then pressed into the shape of a nugget and breaded for frying or baking.

Chicken tenders or strips are SLICES of breast (and sometimes rib) meat that are either breaded or unbreaded, then typically fried or baked.

Boneless chicken wings are CHUNKS of breast, rib, and/or thigh meat that either breaded or unbreaded, then typically fried or baked.

I don't mean to single you out, but after reading from page 1 and seeing the same thing over and over, I had to put the info out there. I'm just saying that calling boneless chicken wings nuggets or tenders is just as wrong as calling them wings. I admit - its stupid nomenclature, but we should at least know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom