• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How fit are you?

• Thread starter Deleted member 325805
  • Start date

B.O.O.M

I'm very unfit. There's something I must accomplish in the near future. After that, for the foreseeable future, getting fit is gonna be one of my top priorities (after accomplishing what i need to do I will just have a lot of time in my life to maintain a better work-life balance)

Joni

I spend each day in the gym, doing an hour to three hours of cardio. Still too have but a lot better than in the past years.

Goofalo

I checked out that World Fitness Level site.

Apparently, I have the health level of a 36 year old.

Which is nice. Considering. I hope to leave a beautiful corpse. Haha. No, my body is going to deteriorate so bad.

theWB27

Me and the GF trying to get back in shape. So we've been running together at night. So far we've gone 4 times in the last week and we run for 30 minutes. We both cleared 2 miles a couple nights ago.

I hate running, but have to admit it makes one feel a shit ton better.

Rad-

I go to the gym 3 times a week and do cardio 1-2 a week but I wouldn't say I'm that fit. I was quite lazy when I was younger and it's not easy to get rid of those last bits of old fat.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I would say I am very fit. I exercise every day, mostly lifting weights at the gym but I also run 6 miles 1-2 times per week. I always push myself as hard as I can. I've been following this routine for the past 1,5 years, only a few days of exceptions made due to illness. I am also strict with my diet, have never smoked a single cigarette and drink alcohol maybe 3-4 times per year.

Definitely above average, but not as well as I used to be. Used to go to the gym sometimes seven days a week. I do manual labor outside where I am lifting and pulling things all day and walking on average 15k-20k steps a day or more. I would like to be more muscular, which I've been working on again, but it's hard to find time for myself when I work 12-14 hours a day outside and then have obligations when I get home. I would literally spend zero time with my girlfriend if I just worked and went to the gym. So it's hard for me to find a balance right now.

Anyway, I'll never be as big as muscular as I used to be. It was a second full time job for me eating 7-8 meals a day. I started at 145lbs and went all the way up to 218lbs. And now I'm all the way down to 165. I know if I even put in a little bit more effort I could get up to like 180...but ehhhh

Zombine

Banned
I run 5 miles every other day and lift weights on the others. I'm not super bulky but I am very fit. I'm 6'3 about 190lbs.

Pedrito

I know, my longer distance running has always lagged :(

Well this most recent value was timed by my friend so honestly it's prob not accurate haha, but let me have it man. My best "official" time was in HS when it was 10.8. Close enough.

Edit: now that I think back to HS, there were a few guys who had even better times than 10.8. I dunno if it's that rare.

10.20 would have been enough to make the semis at the Rio Olympics.

Gilby

I lift weights and train gymnastics (although only started gymnastics a year or so ago). I eat a high protein, high fibre diet. I could probably give up drinking, but it's such a great socializing tool. Over all I'm in pretty good shape.

Chorazin

I have extra fat, but I workout 5 days a week to get strong and build endurance, and I routinely do 12 hour endurance events involving long distance, heavy loads, and PT, so I guess I'd say "fitter than most, not as fit as some."

I'm trying to get fit.

A trainer has suggested intermittent fasting along with working out 3-4 days a week.

I also play basketball 1-2 times a week.

Trying to rid of this beer belly.

Switched to vodka tonics.

Such is life.

Peltz

On my third consecutive ninety day run of P90X. I'm in the best shape of my life and am now hovering around 10% body fat with broad chest/shoulders/arms.

I'm also the most flexible I've ever been in my entire life. When stretching my hamstrings in a seated position as follows:

3721.jpg
I can fully bring my forehead to my knee and my arms extend past the sole of my foot.

I don't quite have a full six pack (it requires good lighting) but otherwise I've very happy with my current shape. If I lose another 2% body fat, I will definitely be there. I can also run several miles without getting tired or sore (which is a big deal for me).

Back in December when I decided to pick this up, I had no idea how good I'd feel today. But my diet, exercise, flexibility and even my posture game are very on point for a 30 year old. I've also given up drinking and smoking and feel like it's helped me tremendously.

I've been going 7 days a week since December (including running/stretching on my "days off") with only 3-4 rest days the entire year. So there's usually not a single day for where I don't get an intense workout into my day.

i found this

https://www.worldfitnesslevel.org/#/

apparently i'm not fit enough.

According to this ^, I have the fitness of someone who is under 20 years old.

YOU ARE
YEARS OLD
AND YOUR EXPECTED FITNESS LEVEL IS 52 VO2 MAX

HOWEVER:

YOU HAVE THE FITNESS
OF AN AVERAGE
under 20 YEAR OLD
AND YOUR ACTUAL FITNESS LEVEL IS 63 VO2 MAX

Currently at my peak and only improving.

6 min mile.
10.2s 100 m sprint - edit: timed by a friend, so take it with a pinch of salt before people start recruiting me ;)
25 pull ups.
All heavy lifts intermediate to advanced.

Chyeah man.

We have an Olympic sprinter on GAF, ladies and gentlemen.

brawly

I'm in good shape. Work out a lot, eat right. I have muscles and not too much fat.

Am I fit? Hell no. I sweat like a pig 10 minutes into my workout and my cardio is shit.

kidnemo

Neo Member
-have a six or eight pack (depending on where im at with my eating)
-have vids of me doing 30+ deadhang pullups in a set
-can do a lot of neat gymnastic trickery (hand balancing, etc)
-certified kettlebell instructor/pt
-10+ years of brazilian jiu-jitsu
-run my own kids and adult martial arts program
-own a 2500sqft gym
-once saw a bear in TN while hiking and snuck away silently, terrified

Lots of healthy sounding folks up in this thread. :)

Some of these claims seem a little unrealistic. I run 3-4 times a week, improved a lot recently but got a way to go. Walk a lot too. My fastest mile is 7 mins 34 seconds, but my fatest average on a 6 mile run ish is about 8 and a half minutes per mile.

19511035_727773444072389_413985310199065553_n.jpg

kidnemo

Neo Member
Some of these claims seem a little unrealistic. I run 3-4 times a week, improved a lot recently but got a way to go. Walk a lot too. My fastest mile is 7 mins 34 seconds, but my fatest average on a 6 mile run ish is about 8 and a half minutes per mile.

Thats a solid pace!

Time to start working on your half (marathon) pacing.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Well I officially restarted my diet after that shock earlier, same meal as last week but literally half the portion and it was enough, who would have thought the recommended human sized portion on the packet would be correct. I've also done the shopping for the week and entered all my meals on MFP for the week ahead. If it's not in the house I can't eat it. I'll be weighing in monthly opposed to weekly as mentally I prefer to see a big loss instead of lots of little ones (plus some weeks I tend to stay the same then have a big loss the following week). I've also made a simple Google spreadsheet to keep track of my weight, loss, waist and chest. I also spent about an hour looking at photos, some at my heaviest and some at my lightest, both depressed me for different reasons.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Either that time is wrong or I'm in the wrong career haha

It's decently common for HS coaches to shave off a few tenths to make their pupils feel better.
a 10.8 from a coach could reasonably be 11.0 or 11.2, which is still very very good but reasonable.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
My body timeline:
Fat-->fatter-->"normal"-->skinny af-->fit-->whatevers now. Lost them 6 packs and too lazy to get it back currently lol.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Heh. The worst comments I get is when people say, "Oh just wait until you are 30/older. You can keep that up."

Please. Just because you can't doesn't mean I won't be able to.
Those comments are based on nothing but ignorance. You and I both know that FE.

AnAnole

I'm 31, weigh 173 lbs at 5' 10", can run 5 minute mile although I hate running, can dunk a 10 foot basketball goal, do several muscle ups in a row, paralell squat 360 lbs, deadlift 450 lbs, bench 300 lbs, etc. I think im pretty fit

NandoGip

out of shape but not by much

would take me probably 2 months of dieting and gym to be in a pretty beastly place but ive been extremely lazy recently

acevans2

The fastest I've ever run 1 mile is 5 minutes 26 seconds.

I've run a marathon twice, both times ~4.25 hour finish time. I hate running this distance.

I am working on getting my strong lifts back up in maximal strength- targeting a 300 lb bench press in September.

My scale that measures body fat via bioelectrical empedance analysis says I'm around 8% body fat.

I'm pretty fit! 6'0" 174 lbs (and rising)

Run a 2-3 times a week for between 8 and 15k each

Sometimes longer and Ill go to 20.

So fit enough.

Kinda want to take a stab at a marathon.

Szu

On my third consecutive ninety day run of P90X. I'm in the best shape of my life and am now hovering around 10% body fat with broad chest/shoulders/arms.

I'm also the most flexible I've ever been in my entire life. When stretching my hamstrings in a seated position as follows:

I can fully bring my forehead to my knee and my arms extend past the sole of my foot.

I don't quite have a full six pack (it requires good lighting) but otherwise I've very happy with my current shape. If I lose another 2% body fat, I will definitely be there. I can also run several miles without getting tired or sore (which is a big deal for me).

Back in December when I decided to pick this up, I had no idea how good I'd feel today. But my diet, exercise, flexibility and even my posture game are very on point for a 30 year old. I've also given up drinking and smoking and feel like it's helped me tremendously.

I've been going 7 days a week since December (including running/stretching on my "days off") with only 3-4 rest days the entire year. So there's usually not a single day for where I don't get an intense workout into my day.

According to this ^, I have the fitness of someone who is under 20 years old.

Hey, a fellow flexor, that's cool.

cxZfI.jpg

Sillverrr

I used to be very fit, but I took it too far and fell into the eating disorder trap again. I am recovered weight-wise, but now I comfort eat and this leads to binges. I am not overweight (yet), but as you can imagine, it's hard to stay on the fitness path when you are failing to balance eating, diet and exercise.

I'd like to provide my example as a warning that extreme exercise and dieting is dangerous. Try not to step outside of your comfort zone unless you are confident in all aspects of your life. Some of us are not designed to be athletes; just do the best you can, but know where to draw the line.

192cm tall, weight of 69kg, hover around the the 9%to 11% body fat. VO2 max of 60. resting heart rate of 43. It has been a while since I did a VO2 max test though so that is likely inaccurate. My exercise is a mix of body weight exercise which focus on strict form that prioritise strength over mass which I do every other day, a custom HIIT workout that I do twice a week and vinyasa yoga which I do 6 days a week. I enjoy the yoga the most and surprised how quickly it improved my overall strength and fitness.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Very fit. I score outstandings and maxes on my semiannual physical fitness assessments, practice BJJ and Muay Thai and work out 5 days a week(Wed and Sunday are my off day)

GodofWine

For a busy 39 year old dad of 2, Im damned fit...for a single 39 year old gym rat male, I'd be kinda fit.

I lift 3-4 days a week, and generally look pretty good at the pool. Cardio wise Im probably not great (more from an oxygen turnover perspective), but I think I could run 2 miles in under 11 minutes. I used to run track, and I THINK I swim enough to not die doing it, and my leg are strong enough to just gut it out.

TL:DR - Probably not as fit as I think I am!

Arials

Haha yea. I get that you are skeptical.
But it's indeed not a normal pace what I run though.
It's just over the years I wanted to run the 8km as fast as I could. I run the same 8km for almost 10 years now. It's not like I just do it since a month.

The "kinda fit" is just because I'm really skinny though.

And I'm not only running the 8km once a week. I play football too.

But think what you want.

What do you mean by "it's indeed not a normal pace what I run though", is that basically you admitting the 25min time isn't what you actually run?

One run a week and a couple of games of football a week just isn't enough of a cardio load to get you into shape for running that fast for that long. No one runs a sustained 3:08 pace without concentrated endurance training. This is a training program targeted at getting someone running a 10k at the same pace you claim do be able to do a casual 8k at: http://www.time-to-run.com/training/10k/sub31.htm

Post a strava screenshot or something if you want to call my bluff but I am confident that either your "8k" route is 6k or less or you're taking much longer than 25 minutes to run it. If you're genuinely running that fast - and again I'm confident you're not - go join your local running club and stop wasting your talent.

Ogodei

Could be better but I do ok: i'm 155 at 5'8, right where the guidelines say is a healthy weight for my height. Have a bit of a beer gut and some love handles, though, so what i need is more muscle tone, but alas my apartment complex doesn't include a gym and i'm too lazy to go offsite for one (the cost is neither here nor there).

Run some distance each day. Never measured it but it takes me 20-25 minutes depending on if i take the long or short route, which is probably about 2 miles.

Fistwell

Haha yea. I get that you are skeptical.
But it's indeed not a normal pace what I run though.
It's just over the years I wanted to run the 8km as fast as I could. I run the same 8km for almost 10 years now. It's not like I just do it since a month.

The "kinda fit" is just because I'm really skinny though.

And I'm not only running the 8km once a week. I play football too.

But think what you want.
5min/mile over 5 miles is one claim, but off of practically zero weekly mileage is what truly makes this. Move over Pre, you're the greatest natural talent this planet has seen.

Weevilone

I'd say above average for my age group. I do 40 minutes to an hour of cardio daily and go at it pretty hard.

My flexibility needs work though. My hamstrings are getting tight in my old age.

Ensoul

Below average I'd say. I do go to the gym 4-5 days a week, which includes one night of playing basketball. Still have some back and belly fat I cannot seem to get rid of.

I'm 34 and I'm pretty damn fit. I do cardio for an hour (not counting cool down) 5-6x a week. I also do very muscle taxing yoga a couple of times a week. I'm complimented on my physique quite often. I eat healthy except for the weekends. I have pretty much my ideal body type; a good amount of lean muscle with some abs showing (not a full 6pac though - I enjoy craft beer too much for that.) When I was younger I used to sport a full 6pac but it's honestly too much work now, and I'm happy where I'm at. Both my fiancee and I are big into fitness.

TACPhilly

Banned

19511035_727773444072389_413985310199065553_n.jpg

solid start. only way to get faster in my experience is INTERVALS, INTERVALS,INTERVALS, INTERVALS! They suck! but they work.

I'm pretty fit but i still need to trim the fat. currentlt 6' 201lbs. my best 1.5 mile was 8:50 but i usually hit between 9:45 and 10:15 these days. i want to get back to sub 9s this year. I bench over 300lbs (havent maxed in a while but i think i can manage 310+ now). ive been focusing on my legs lately, not sure of my max there either yet but im shooting for 450lbs this year. skies out thighs out lol

ruxtpin

Banned
I run a bit. And do free weights mixed in. Donno what my numbers are, but I just interval sprinted 5 miles in under 35 on the treadmill. Recent 5k in 20:40. Try to get back to sub-20. Had more speed in my younger days.

Goofalo

-have a six or eight pack (depending on where im at with my eating)
-have vids of me doing 30+ deadhang pullups in a set
-can do a lot of neat gymnastic trickery (hand balancing, etc)
-certified kettlebell instructor/pt
-10+ years of brazilian jiu-jitsu
-run my own kids and adult martial arts program
-own a 2500sqft gym
-once saw a bear in TN while hiking and snuck away silently, terrified

Lots of healthy sounding folks up in this thread. :)

I'll know I'm fit when I don't think of ways to get people in my half guard game.

Top Bottom