• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"How I'd fix Xbox's first party problem-" ign

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
MS should get 343 to work on a Perfect Dark reboot, they already work on FPS..make it like Resistance, about the variety of the weapons and abilities

Takat

They need characters. They had the Master Chief, and Gears, but it seemed to have fizzled a little. I would suggest new IPs that speak to their audience, especially FPS shooters as that seem like something both Sony and Nintendo haven't been doing.

sheaaaa

I don't think I want any of that. I still have my OG Xbox.

Do you know why I got that shortly after it came out?

It was breaking all kinds of boundaries. Standard HDD, HD graphics, broadband multiplayer, many risky/niche titles, and overall, much more respect for the core gaming audience.

With the dawn of the 360, MS lost me when they decided to charge for anything and everything online (pay to use Netflix? GTFO MS), crappy hardware quality, reliance on dude-bro shooters, and their blind pursuit of the casuals with Kinect. MS has failed to cultivate an audience that would appreciate the diverse set of games that the other platforms have.

The Xbox 360 broke so many boundaries that the OG Xbox cannot compete with. It forced all games to be 'HD', it brought online multiplayer on a console into the mainstream, Xbox Live Arcade was a visionary idea that you could argue was the catalyst for the indie revolution (seriously, the number of indie classics that first launched on XBLA is insane), XBL Indie Games gave literally anyone in the world the chance to put their game, no matter how shitty, on a home console... and that's just a few. The reason the Xbox 360 was a universal success and became the ubiquitous console that generation is just how many things it pioneered. It's crazy to me that anyone could downplay this.

I also don't think the OG Xbox had as many risky/niche titles as you're making out. It certainly had fewer niche games than the PS2 did, and probably the Gamecube, let alone compared the 360, which had all types of games.

Also you say reliance on dude-bro shooters but put down the Kinect in the same sentence

If Microsoft wants to make Xbox attractive to core gamers the people in charge need to give it a rest with 'connected experiences' and online-focused titles. They should develop a variety of single-player-focused games as that is what the market currently lacks. Every big third-party publisher is hopping on the games-as-a-service bandwagon, there is no need or demand for more of the same from Microsoft. Sony has the right idea, none of their big games are online focused. You want to draw in the average GAF console gamer, this is how you do it.

snap

Banned
The problem for them right now is that even when they've done New IP stuff, it's either been critically or commercially rejected, or both. Ryse? Mixed reviews, and lost in the Crytek implosion. Sunset Overdrive, D4? Both sold like crap. Quantum Break? Pssh. Heck, anyone even remember Screamride?

So they fell back on old IP and that's also kindly underperforming, so no matter what they do they don't have a way out. One can argue that they haven't fostered the right type of first party studio, but that's not an easy problem to fix, either. Remember, 343i was setup to be this star studded studio overflowing with top tier talent. And they ended up putting out Halo 4.

I will say, though, I wish they had followed through on that spy game from what is now The Coalition. Seemed interesting in a way that a lot of their recent stuff hasn't.

If Microsoft wants to make Xbox attractive to core gamers the people in charge need to give it a rest with 'connected experiences' and online-focused titles. They should develop a variety of single player-focused games as that is what the market currently lacks. Every big third-party publisher is hopping on the games-as-a-service bandwagon, there is no need or demand for more of the same from Microsoft. Sony has the right idea, none of their big games are online focused. You want to draw in the average GAF console gamer, this is how you do it.
The online focused stuff allows them to make money even when the games sell bad, like with Halo 5. Even Sony dipped their toes into that with Uncharted 4.

kungfuian

To me it's all about content. They seem to be focused on high stakes poker but it might do them some good to step back and play some slots here and there. How expensive can it be to fund a bunch of smaller games to mix in with the big hits.

I'd focus on old Rare IP and some spin offs- Battle toads (small arcade style coop beat em up games), killer instinct (more of same), banjo and kazooii (remakes of 1 and 2, give it to Playtonic), jet force (AAA re-imagining of original, Insomniac please), conker (fully modern high budget sequel), fable (remake or re-imagining of 1), cup head (help fund endless stream of games that look like this please), Gears (side scrolling cover shooter spin off in 16 bit glory), Ori (more of same). This and add in a few really new and high quality IP (maybe action RPGs or open world, something very ambitious).

And if they plan on leaving their IP dormant maybe try something crazy like opening up that IP to all indis. Let them try their hand at making games. So you might get x5-10 indi made battle toads (of which microsoft gets a small cut of sales). Sure some will be bad but some will be good too. The community will decide. And the best received one gets a sequel deal and full budget. And Microsoft gets interest in the IP. I'd try this with like 3-4 of their old unused IP and see if it leads to future interest and franchise rebuilding.

The online focused stuff allows them to make money even when the games sell bad, like with Halo 5. Even Sony dipped their toes into that with Uncharted 4.

I don't doubt it but with this strategy they are only extracting more money out of their existing customer base instead of expanding it. That isn't good in the long run.

El-Suave

The big studios they have could evolve second teams with new ideas. Start with smaller games that are not Halo, Gears or Forza. Then hire people and evolve those teams into studios of their own. That eliminates the monotony at those franchise factories and gets you new games and studios in the longer run. It takes time and money but there's no way around that. If you're not willing to invest you're not a good platform holder.

wapplew

The big studios they have could evolve second teams with new ideas. Start with smaller games that are not Halo, Gears or Forza. Then hire people and evolve those teams into studios of their own. That eliminates the monotony at those franchise factories and gets you new games and studios in the longer run. It takes time and money but there's no way around that. If you're not willing to invest you're not a good platform holder.

What's the definition of good platform holder? Do you think Valve is good platfrom holder? Cause everyone love steam.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Simpler solution

- Let xbox one X run steam and steam games. Bigscreen mode if its needed from a technical standpoint.
- Get rid of Windows 10 games store, that thing is trash. Migrate it all to steam/steamworks.
- Partner with steam to sell games on a custom xbox steam front, microsoft gets 20%, steam gets 10%, devs get 70% (or whatever mix works out for all three parties).

Bam, now X runs PC games flawlessly, X games are just steam games so devs only have to make PC/PS4 ports, do whatever technical thing you need so people can't run custom hacks or other executables just digitally signed steam games.

The "white flag" maneuver huh? if they do this they might has well quit lol

kevin1025

Banned
I'll always say that a small section of Rare should make N64 style games in HD that are digital only and cost a decent amount but not a ton in terms of budget. I thought maybe Rare Replay might have awakened that there, but nothing has happened since.

Have a small section of 343 making Halo story expansions, kind of like what The Lost Legacy is for Uncharted.

Have The Coalition make a neat Horde-only game with a story mode.

And on top of that invest in new IP and marketing deals.

They could make smaller budget titles in between their major tentpole releases. Sure, it would require more staff and resources, but the gaps would be much smaller. Plus, not everything has to be $60. Think smaller, and see what comes out of it.

element

Shadowrun RPG - hardly 1st party
How is Shadowrun hardly first party when MS owns the IP outright?

I would throw money at ninja theory and maybe obsidian too, get a big action franchise on the scale of god of war and a new epic rpg series.
I don't think Ninja Theory would work with MS again. Technically Ninja Theory is Just Add Monsters who made Kung Fu Chaos. If you pay attention Hellblade BTS videos, they really talk about their frustration with publishers.

snap

Banned
I don't doubt it but with this strategy they are only extracting more money out of their existing customer base instead of expanding it. That isn't good in the long run.

That's the problem though, isn't it? Their attempts to expand it through Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break backfired spectacularly, so they're instead going the option of broadening their base to PC gamers. But of course, the PC-centric approach also seems to be struggling, as Halo Wars 2 didn't really make much of a splash. Heck, the only real success I can think of that they've put out recently is Forza Horizon 3, which saw success due mostly to strong quality in a niche that sees very little competition these days.
I'll always say that a small section of Rare should make N64 style games in HD that are digital only and cost a decent amount but not a ton in terms of budget. I thought maybe Rare Replay might have awakened that there, but nothing has happened since.

Have a small section of 343 making Halo story expansions, kind of like what The Lost Legacy is for Uncharted.

Have The Coalition make a neat Horde-only game with a story mode.

And on top of that invest in new IP and marketing deals.

They could make smaller budget titles in between their major tentpole releases. Sure, it would require more staff and resources, but the gaps would be much smaller. Plus, not everything has to be $60. Think smaller, and see what comes out of it.

They went all-in on Sea of Thieves, probably aren't big enough to support two projects, even if one of them is minor.

343 kinda does that already through other media--they're responsible for shaping the narrative of the books, the TV shows, and the movies, and the spinoff games. I would even say Halo Wars 2 has a stronger story than any other 343 related media of the past few years.

Not sure how that'd be different than what Gears of War 4 is--they've been firesaling it in the same way they firesaled Halo 5 in order to drive up multiplayer numbers, that thing for them is basically mutliplayer first and foremost.

They tried that and it's been going badly for them.

They don't have the manpower for smaller projects, but even then, they've been doing that more than almost any other publisher. Recore launched at $40(?)

I would have the Coalition tackle a third person stealth action Perfect Dark. It could combine gears with shangheist which I think would be fantastic. Doing that would also give gears some time to breathe.

I'd follow that up with 343 with a first person RPG (Think Skyrim). Xbox is lacking hard on the RPG front and 343 could really use something different.

Fable needs a comeback, farm it out to obsidian? If they'd be willing to try again.........

I'd also have rare develop a battle toads multiplayer beat em up, that would be awesome!

That's the problem though, isn't it? Their attempts to expand it through Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break backfired spectacularly, so they're instead going the option of broadening their base to PC gamers. But of course, the PC-centric approach also seems to be struggling, as Halo Wars 2 didn't really make much of a splash. Heck, the only real success I can think of that they've put out recently is Forza Horizon 3, which saw success due mostly to strong quality in a niche that sees very little competition these days.

Their attempts to expand through first party and PC failed but not because the strategy was bad, in my opinion of course. Sunset Overdrive was way too quirky to a be a big seller and Quantum Break was this weird game-and-TV-show thing that wasn't received that well. Their PC efforts are being sabotaged by the trainwreck that is the Windows store.

Havoc2049

I'd find a way to get Chromehounds and reboot that. Works as a GaaS title, builds community - especially if they expand on the war effort - and was just a blast to play.

They need a single-player third-person action game. Put it in the Halo universe with players as ODST, that'll get it the green light. Helps fill the void between mainline Halo games too.

Chromehounds was a great game. MS should make a persistent online, ongoing battle mech game ala Chromehounds with tons of customization, but make it in the Battletech/MechWarrior universe.

Open up Microsoft Game Studios Japan again and put Itagaki in charge and have him make a hyper action adventure, highly stylized third person brawler/shooter set in the Halo universe using Team Black.

300px-Halo_Blood_Line_HC.jpg

kevin1025

Banned

They went all-in on Sea of Thieves, probably aren't big enough to support two projects, even if one of them is minor.

343 kinda does that already through other media--they're responsible for shaping the narrative of the books, the TV shows, and the movies, and the spinoff games. I would even say Halo Wars 2 has a stronger story than any other 343 related media of the past few years.

Not sure how that'd be different than what Gears of War 4 is--they've been firesaling it in the same way they firesaled Halo 5 in order to drive up multiplayer numbers, that thing for them is basically mutliplayer first and foremost.

They tried that and it's been going badly for them.

They don't have the manpower for smaller projects, but even then, they've been doing that more than almost any other publisher. Recore launched at $40(?)

You're right. I guess I see it as taking what they have and using it for smaller projects, rather than having everyone deep-dive onto the major sequel right away. But if the people aren't there for that, it's not possible currently.

I think Rare could do a really good job with the Fable franchise. It's honestly something I've wanted for a while.

If they ever finish working on that Pirate game, I hope they get a crack at that franchise, or at least are able to pump out a few more games in less time than Sea of Thieves.
(I really wish I liked that game more, I'm just not a big multiplayer fan and none of the gameplay shown has clicked with me at all) :(

Novocaine

If they were going to make a new Fable they'd be better off building a new team. Don't make Rare do it, let Rare do Rare shit.

Salty Hippo

Just posted this on the Microsoft Studios thread about this very subject so I might as well post it in here too.

---

I've posted these ideas before but here is what I think is a better version of McCaffrey's list:

1. Acquire IO, staff them enough to have 2 teams, one working on Hitman and another working on a brand new GaaS IP.

2. Acquire Playground, have the racing team alternating between Horizon and another MS racing IP (2-year dev cycles) like PGR, Midtown Madness, or a kart racer. Have their recent new team working on whatever they're already working on.

3. Build a small team of around 40 people at Rare focused solely on concise, smartly budgeted projects, mainly nostalgia ones, one at a time. Keep the rest of the studio working on SoT or whatever new thing that comes after that.

4. Find a way to make a proper Fable that doesn't sound as stupid as putting Rare on it. You can fund Obsidian to make Fable IV. MAYBE you can even acquire them to be the Fable/WRPG studio. Or you can build a new studio from the ground up for it. Whatever is best for the long term well being of this franchise.

5. Turn 343i and The Coalition into 2-game studios. Even if that's all they're supposed to work for the rest of their life. There's a number of ways to do this. You could add a second team to each and have each of those 4 teams do their own thing, or have the current teams alternating between Halo/Gears and something else. That something else could be either new IP, existing IP (Perfect Dark and ReCore for instance) or a combination of both. Choose whatever makes the most financial sense, as long as it expands your portfolio from these studios twofold. Also rename them if you want.

6. Keep funding small teams to work on your smaller IPs that have potential, such as KI, Ori and throw in the mix Crimson Skies and MechAssault revivals for good measure.

7. Yes, bring back XBLA because why not?

None of these will ever happen.

snap

Banned
Their attempts to expand through first party and PC failed but not because the strategy was bad, in my opinion of course. Sunset Overdrive was way too quirky to a be a big seller and Quantum Break was this weird game-and-TV-show thing that wasn't received that well. Their PC efforts are being sabotaged by the trainwreck that is the Windows store.

The only reason they're putting out their games on PC is the Windows store. If it didn't exist they'd rather not release on PC at all rather than release on Steam, at least for their big marquee releases.Sunset Overdrive was also no more quirky than Overwatch is, and Quantum Break was basically a natural evolution from Alan Wake, given that the latter already had an in-game in-universe TV show with one episode each level.

You're right. I guess I see it as taking what they have and using it for smaller projects, rather than having everyone deep-dive onto the major sequel right away. But if the people aren't there for that, it's not possible currently.

Yeah, they really need more studios working on new stuff. It's the reason shelving that Black Tusk game was such a shame.

The idea that there is some quick fix for MS to bolster the first party line up and that it would in any way signal a huge turn around for MS is dubious.

MS should be more focused on ensuring all of their future consoles are priced competitively and are at least the equal of it's competitors when it comes to performance. That will do much more for them than any ridiculous notions that Crimson Skies 2 is going to bring anyone back to the Xbox family.

The course of a gen is set at the start and Battlefield and COD being far superior on PS4 has done more to create the hare and tortoise scenario we currently have than the suggestion that Xbox is way behind because Sony have the Naughty Gods and Scalebound was cancelled.

Rymuth

Knew this was a Ryan Mcafferey article before I clicked~

Dude was convinced that I/O was going to be purchased by MS after Square-Enix dropped them.

He is still operating under the delusion that Xbox has a blank Cheque. Feh.

El-Suave

What's the definition of good platform holder? Do you think Valve is good platfrom holder? Cause everyone love steam.

In the console space it obviously means exclusive games and you also need to show that you have a bit of a long breath and not give up on your games if they underperform at first. All that talk about marathons, not sprints is just lip service if you don't follow up on the new IP you have. You can also show you care about the medium by reviving games you used to have in your library or get fan favorites made from third parties that wouldn't get made without your investment. Backwards compatibility is a step in the right direction, that's a nice showing of initiative.
I haven't been s PC gamer for over a decade so I'm not too familiar with Valve and steam (steam being a bit borked and mandatory for HL2 at first was one of the factors that drove me away from PC actually), but looking in from the outside Valve also doesn't seem to really follow through on a lot of stuff they started like i.e. the steam machines. But again, my PC knowledge and first hand experience with Valve is old.

Neonep

What they don't need is another FPS, TPS, or racing game. They need to diversity their bonds. They need games that appeal to people like me to be honest. Character action games, various RPG's, & single player games.

The only game that I wanted on Xbox One this gen was Scalebound and we know what happened with that.

element

1. Acquire IO, staff them enough to have 2 teams, one working on Hitman and another working on a brand new GaaS IP.

2. Acquire Playground, have the racing team alternating between Horizon and another MS racing IP (2-year dev cycles) like PGR, Midtown Madness, or a kart racer. Have their recent new team working on whatever they're already working on.

7. Yes, bring back XBLA because why not?
Some pretty good ideas. I'd steer away from acquisition and just try to lock down a developer to a multi-game deal.

IO would be a great studio to try to sign, if they were able to rehire some of their staff.
Playground appears to already have another game in the works with MS. So it appears that relationship is going well.
XBLA never went away, they just dropped the name because they didn't want it to be associated with lower budget titles. And really XBLA was terrible for developers before of the slot system. The current marketplace and ID@Xbox is perfectly fine.

Easy:

-hire more first party devs
-stop gutting first party devs every few years

It's not rocket science, it just requires microsoft management to believe in the division fully. Though maybe that is akin to rocket science for them.

If Microsoft wants to make Xbox attractive to core gamers the people in charge need to give it a rest with 'connected experiences' and online-focused titles. They should develop a variety of single-player-focused games as that is what the market currently lacks. Every big third-party publisher is hopping on the games-as-a-service bandwagon, there is no need or demand for more of the same from Microsoft. Sony has the right idea, none of their big games are online focused. You want to draw in the average GAF console gamer, this is how you do it.

How did Ryse, Sunset Overdrive, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Quantum Break do? You think they should put all their eggs in that basket?

-Reboot Fable at Rare
-Make a first person Shadowrun RPG
-Bring back Crimson Skies
-Alan Wake 2
So in short: "make sequels to a bunch of your games".

-Splinter Cell Chaos Theory 2
Splinter Cell is a multiplatform series owned by Ubisoft. It will never be Xbox exclusive.

-Xbox Live Arcade returns
What does this mean? "Xbox Live Arcade" was branding for "downloadable games" with a bunch of restrictions applied like having leaderboards be a mandatory feature. In the current gen we've made the point that every game is available as a download regardless of whether they're a big AAA production or a little indie game.

Going back to separating "Disc Games" and "Arcade Games" is a regression that makes no sense in this day and age. That's what this IGN guy is suggesting.

Plasma

Banned
I don't think making Alan Wake 2, Shadowrun and Crimson Skies will help them though as much as I'd personally really like to see them make the first two I just can't see them selling all that well. It would be good if they let 343 and Coalition make games other than Halo and Gears of War a bit like Netherrealm where they make Mortal Kombat and then do Injustice and alternate between them. That way they could experiment with trying too make new IPs but at least have their big franchises to fall back on if they don't work out.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
It's simply a case of creating, or signing, more studios on the level of 343, The Coalition, Turn 10 and Rare. That's how you 'fix' first-party long-term.

Obviously it's a damn sight easier said than done though.

We can only hope moves are being made behind the scenes. Hopefully somebody in a high-level position at Xbox can see the potential in Playground Games having a go at an open-world title in a different genre, for example. Hopefully that was one of the deals that Phil Spencer recently signed.

The thing is, most of these suggestions to improve the output represent quite high financial risk, and with the Xbox One not selling as much as they'd originally hoped especially in Europe the sales potential for any new project is that much less than it'd be for Sony at this point. The windows store also hasn't taken off in the way they probably hoped it would.

They'll only be able to expand in this way with support from above, probably in tandem with a strategy to grow the base in a new generation launch. I'm just not sure that Microsoft as a whole is interested in doing this anymore, their strategy to me seems more about merging Xbox with the windows store and relying on third parties to attract customers. Rather than Sony or Nintendo, I think MS would much prefer to operate like Valve does.

How did Ryse, Sunset Overdrive, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Quantum Break do? You think they should put all their eggs in that basket?

I do. Their resources aren't infinite so they are better spent developing these types of games rather than something like Sea of Thieves.

Chris1

I do. Their resources aren't infinite so they are better spent developing these types of games rather than something like Sea of Thieves.
Sea of thieves will outsell all those games minus ryse or tr combined probably lol. Or it will be close at least

As you said their resources are infinite, I'm no expert but I think the conclusion is obvious here and it's not what you think they should do

RobRivers

343 is a great studio with a llt of talent but i don't really like whats they are doing for halo aside from multiplayer and graphics. Maybe they would be very suitsble for rebooting Perfect Dark!

Top Bottom