• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is this shit legal? (Misleading mobile game advertising)

Found another one lol:

EJjfwpo.jpg

I'm sorry, but "Cast & Conquer" has to be easily one of the best titles I've ever heard. You probably should play as a warlord who spends their spare time running a casting agency.

With how much money the major app store owners should have, it's baffling to me that they don't have three or four people employed each just to check if the shit that ends up in the top ten lists isn't obviously illegal in any of the six hundred obvious ways.

what's confusing about this is that android play store has a prominent "request refund" option for about 15-30 minutes after you download something.

Just goes to show how many people buy mobile games and forget about them or don't even boot them up after the download is completed. Or maybe boot them once and forget about it.

jwk94

what's confusing about this is that android play store has a prominent "request refund" option for about 15-30 minutes after you download something.

Just goes to show how many people buy mobile games and forget about them or don't even boot them up after the download is completed. Or maybe boot them once and forget about it.

I completely forgot about the refund option.

There is a high chances these are chinese companies and they literally don't care about plagiarizing stuff. Hell they probably can get away with it because it's China.

It's legal because most of these games are based out of countries that don't give a shit about copyright law, and the Android app store is not curated so stuff like this can be easily added to it.

Mobile and Facebook are like the Chinatown of video game platforms. Everything's a knockoff.

Ugh it's one thing to imitate the gameplay, but to ape the entire style of the game too? Mother fuckers. This wouldn't stand on any other platform, but on iOS and Android it's free reign, HOW?!
Nintendo will shut down a fan passion project in 24 hours up the ass with cease and desists, but Paramon staring an exact Ash and Pikachu clone(Game Freak, I know, but come on)? Nah that's cool dawg.

I see ads for that stupid ass Kate Upton Game of War thing on Twitter all the time and they're always "SPECIAL OFFER FOR ANDROID USERS, DOWNLOAD FREE TODAY!!!!" when it's always free.

Everything about that game just seems particularly disgusting though, even for mobile.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I couldn't tell what was wrong with the image either, having not played Dark Souls.

And plenty of mobile games look as good as that, if not better

tba-infinity-blade-ii-20111003025217965.jpg
If I remember from when I played it, you don't even move other then dodge and you just swipe left & right to play, screenshots are very misleading.

Squishy3

If I remember from when I played it, you don't even move other then dodge and you just swipe left & right to play, screenshots are very misleading.
It's punchout with fantasy creatures instead of boxer stereotypes.

It's actually one of the better mobile games simply because it is designed for touch controls rather than being adapted to touch controls. Too bad 90% of the people that play mobile games won't play anything that isn't free or 99 cents.

Alchemy

Hell, a lot of mobile games in their entirety are straight up stolen. One of the reasons I don't want to talk about any mobile projects I have queued is because if the idea gains any traction before release, another mobile developer will straight up rip your game off and try to beat you to market. The mobile software ecosystem is straight garbage.

devonodev

I get these kinds of ads all the time, especially Age of Empires ones, and the Pokémon ripoffs. I know of at least two people that have fallen for it too.

Top Bottom