• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

how is vaping supposed to help you cut back on smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Just to clarify here, you're talking about Shisha/hookah/waterpipe and not vapes right? Or is that all kinda lumped into the same thing? Honest question.

Strictly about Shisha/Hookah.

Vaping hasn't been a 'thing' long enough for proper epidemiological studies to appear yet. But they will certainly show up in the coming years. The long-term risks are basically up in the air right now, but it's better to err on the side of caution and vape in moderation.

Drain You

Strictly about Shisha/Hookah.

Vaping hasn't been a 'thing' long enough for proper epidemiological studies to appear yet. But they will certainly show up in the coming years. The long-term risks are basically up in the air right now, but it's better to err on the side of caution and vape in moderation.

Gotcha, Ill still go to the Hookah bar once or twice a year, and I think point I've cut vaping out completely. So I guess I could be better but could be a lot worse too. Thanks for the info.

Joe

I successfully quit smoking by vaping and now I don't vape or crave nicotine at all anymore.

Every 4-6 months I lowered the nicotine levels down a notch on the juice I was ordering until I was eventually vaping juice with 0mg nicotine. I then stopped vaping completely because the maintenance is annoying as hell.

As a bonus, because of the flavors of vape juice, just the thought of smoking a cigarette makes me gag now.

Al-ibn Kermit

If you're buying a decent build and tank I totally don't recommend this at all. I remember one time when the guys who mix my shit accidentally mixed a 24 mix instead of a 10 and it totally wrecked my shit even trying to vape it when using a subohm tank. Forever resolved my fears of accidentally overvapping with a wrong nic mix though, lol

Took it back in and dude was like "I didn't mess it up, bullshit" took one hit and was choking back tears trying to hide how fucking hard it was hitting him lmao

When I started out, it was with an Ego battery mod and a tank with like 2 ohm atomizers. I think most people use those at first and then go up. But back then, I used 24 mg juice and worked down to about 12 and now I use a subohm setup that's filled with 3-6 mg.

If you put 24mg into a subohm the throat hit will be unreal.

120v

at first vaping was advertised as a "smoking cessation" method, and i still walk into vape shops that push that angle, like 'turn in a pack of cigs and we'll give you 10% off your purchase' or whatever...

but truth is it's just another form of nicotine consumption. some chew, some smoke, some vape... it's just a different side of the same vice. now personally, i believe vaping is way safer, but it's not a can of worms i like to open because obviously it's not "healthy" in and of itself, and who knows, vapers could wind up with some nasty form of cancer ten years from now, whatever.... so that's not a hill i'll die on.

but yeah there's a lot of notions about vaping that need to just die already. ones like "you can do it anywhere!" well no, you can't. most people vape with 50+ watt mods now that make mad clouds, it's just rude to do that in a restaurant or a crowd. these were cute notions back when "vaping" was just disposable little sticks you could get at the gas station, but it's not 2012 anymore

Kappa

I'd be willing to bet that every study against vaping was bankrolled by the cigarette industry. Way better than cigarettes with less harmful effects.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'd be willing to bet that every study against vaping was bankrolled by the cigarette industry. Way better than cigarettes with less harmful effects.

Ah yes, I could barely walk with all those fat stacks laying around my uni's research labs from being bribed all the time.

Come on son. Literally any research lab out there can pick up a vaping kit and set up proper studies analyzing the vapor. And nearly every study is scrutinized to hell and back. Give scientists a bit of credit.

Aselith

Ah yes, I could barely walk with all those fat stacks laying around my uni's research labs from being bribed all the time.

Come on son. Literally any research lab out there can pick up a vaping kit and set up proper studies analyzing the vapor. And nearly every study is scrutinized to hell and back. Give scientists a bit of credit.

Just what a big tobacco shill WOULD SAY

ViviOggi

If you're buying a decent build and tank I totally don't recommend this at all. I remember one time when the guys who mix my shit accidentally mixed a 24 mix instead of a 10 and it totally wrecked my shit even trying to vape it when using a subohm tank. Forever resolved my fears of accidentally overvapping with a wrong nic mix though, lol

Took it back in and dude was like "I didn't mess it up, bullshit" took one hit and was choking back tears trying to hide how fucking hard it was hitting him lmao
Yeah sounds like a cheap pen thing to me. I would have dropped dead on the spot taking a 24mg hit from the Nautilus I started out with, 12mg was more than enough to scratch that cig itch

This doesn't change the fact that many studies are subsidized by parties interested in specific results and that can often times cloud the summary given. This results in problems because most people will simply take the summary and run with it rather than looking at the actual data to determine whether or not there is spin in the summary and if so, how much of a spin there is.

And all that before getting into the issue of many studies on the same products having wildly different results (I'm reminded of the various studies on Eggs and whether or not they're healthy).

Kappa

It's not really a conspiracy theory that big industries run campaigns of mis-information.

I'm just saying I'm pretty sure burnt toast has the same, if not more harmful carcinogens than a vape

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Reminds me of the lady I caught vaping next to me on the plane. She was hiding it in her cleavage and taking little vapes when she thought no one was looking. I was wondering why the plane was smelling so minty.

Must have been quite the pair of tits if she thought they had their own atmosphere.

Hoo-doo

Banned
It's not really a conspiracy theory that big industries run campaigns of mis-information.

I'm just saying I'm pretty sure burnt toast has the same, if not more harmful carcinogens than a vape

Hence why it's a good idea to avoid eating overly burnt toast. I don't see your point.

This doesn't change the fact that many studies are subsidized by parties interested in specific results and that can often times cloud the summary given. This results in problems because most people will simply take the summary and run with it rather than looking at the actual data to determine whether or not there is spin in the summary and if so, how much of a spin there is.

And all that before getting into the issue of many studies on the same products having wildly different results (I'm reminded of the various studies on Eggs and whether or not they're healthy).

What 'most people' do in terms of interpretation is irrelevant. If the results are bogus, they risk losing their career. And it's not an easy audience to convince, let me tell you that.
But of course there's sponsor money pushing studies. That's not new. But the properly done independent studies going through the proper channels will full disclosure will always rise to the top.

caffeware

Banned
Chemicals in tobacco cigarette smoke

• Acetaldehyde: suspected carcinogen.
  • Acetone: irritant: can cause kidney and liver damage.
  • Acrolein: extremely toxic.
  • Acrylonitrile: suspected human carcinogen.
  • 1-aminonaphthalene: causes cancer.
  • 2-aminonaphthalene: causes bladder cancer.
  • Ammonia: raises blood pressure.
  • Benzene: carcinogen.
  • Benzo[a]pyrene: mutagenic and highly carcinogenic
  • 1,3-Butadiene: suspected carcinogen.
  • Butyraldehyde: damages the lining of nose and lungs.
  • Cadmium: a heavy metal and highly toxic
  • Carbon Monoxide: decreases heart and muscle function.
  • Catechol: causes respiratory tract irritation and dermatitis.
  • Chromium: heavy metal and carcinogen.
  • Cresol: causes upper respiratory, nasal and throat irritation.
  • Crotonaldehyde: thought to interfere with immune function.
  • Formaldehyde: carcinogen
  • Hydrogen Cyanide: lethal poison
  • Hydroquinone: affects central nervous system effects.
  • Isoprene: irritates skin,eyes and mucous membranes.
  • Lead: causes brain damage
  • Methyl Ethyl Ketone: depresses the central nervous system.
  • Nickel: causes bronchial asthma and is a known carcinogen.
  • Nicotine: increases in heart rate and blood pressure, addictive element
  • Nitric Oxide: linked to Huntington’s, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease and asthma.
  • NNN, NNK, and NAT: known or possible carcinogens
  • Phenol: damages the the liver, kidneys; respiratory, cardiovascular and central nervous system.
  • Polonium - radioactive*
  • Propionaldehyde: skin, eye and respiratory system irritant
  • Pyridine: causes eye and upper respiratory tract irritation
  • Quinoline: causes genetic damage and is a possible carcinogen
  • Resorcinol: skin and eye irritant
  • Styrene: carcinogen
  • Toluene: linked to permanent brain damage.

Makes you wonder who initially came up this recipe.

What 'most people' do in terms of interpretation is irrelevant. If the results are bogus, they risk losing their career. And it's not an easy audience to convince, let me tell you that.
But of course there's sponsor money pushing studies. That's not new. But the properly done independent studies going through the proper channels will full disclosure will always rise to the top.

What most people do is entirely relevant because public opinion can shape policy. When that public opinion is influenced by skewed special interest groups we end up with policy that can go against the common good.

Studies who summarize vaping as "just as bad" as cigarette smoking, which the data doesn't support even if only by nature of how many additives are in cigarettes, can lead to restrictions on vaping which is, for all intents and purposes healthier than dip or cigarettes.

An undeniable reality is that Humans will get addicted to things. History has also shown that Humans will seek out mood/mind altering substances. So if we can find healthier ways for people who want to indulge in such things to do so, we shouldn't immediately reject that. Vaping may have long term negatives. So does many things when indulged in over long periods of time. But if it's better than the alternative then the focus should be on getting rid of the alternative, not shooting down the new thing because it's not perfect.

Hoo-doo

Banned
What most people do is entirely relevant because public opinion can shape policy. When that public opinion is influenced by skewed special interest groups we end up with policy that can go against the common good.

Studies who summarize vaping as "just as bad" as cigarette smoking, which the data doesn't support even if only by nature of how many additives are in cigarettes, that can lead to restrictions on vaping which is, for all intents and purposes healthier than dip or cigarettes.

An undeniable reality is that Humans will get addicted to things. History has also shown that Humans will seek out mood/mind altering substances. So if we can find healthier ways for people who want to indulge in such things to do so, we shouldn't immediately reject that. Vaping may have long term negatives. So does many things when indulged in over long periods of time. But if it's better than the alternative then the focus should be on getting rid of the alternative, not shooting down the new thing because it's not perfect.

You got a good point there. Very true. Non-scientifically inclined people can take away the weirdest stuff from medical literature just so it fits their biases. Look at anti-vaxxers for example.

As far as I'm aware every reputable study (i.e. not tabloid bait) has only shown vaping to be much safer than smoking. A UK government agency, Public Health England, did an evidence review of several studies and signed a consensus statement along with the likes of British Lung Foundation, Cancer Research UK, Royal College of Physicians, Royal Society for Public Health and the UK Health Forum to say that "We all agree that e-cigarettes are significantly less harmful than smoking". Newer studies are coming to similar conclusions. Obviously that isn't to say "Vape as much as you want, nothing bad will happen", just that the scientific consensus (as much as one can be formed with the data we have so far) is in favour of vaping as a safer alternative to smoking. I find this whole "Nah, they're as bad as each other because I just think that for reasons" narrative that many seem to mysteriously take and love to spread online is just doing damage; I have family members who won't switch because they've "heard it's no better" no matter how much evidence I show them to the contrary. Just more Facebook fake news nonsense.

Vestal

Gold Member
Do we actually know of there being anything bad about vaping so far?

I'd say the biggest risk comes from unregulated devices that lack the safety features necessary to prevent battery overheating or explosions.

Gave up the fags last year for vape. At first I did both but then I got myself a better vape kit (sub-ohm) and then I just naturally stopped smoking because vaping was as satisfying and more convenient. I use 8% juice and I find I'm using less and less each week. Not tempted at all to go back on the snouts.

The people who say that "you're still using nicotine so what's the difference" are missing the point. The nicotine, whilst addictive, is not what kills you, it;s all the other shit in cigarettes, particularly the tar, that does you in. If you can deliver the nicotine without all that other shit, it's much safer.

I'm prepared to accept that vaping may have some negative health effects of its own but so far, AFAIK, none have been identified and if there are any I doubt they'd be worse than what you get from the gaspers.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Just don't smoke anything at all, bros. It's bad for you.

It's not smoking.
And the "anything in your lungs" argument is bizarre.
Beyond the obvious air intake that everyone is getting you inhale a shitload of water vapor every time you take a warm shower.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
It's not smoking.
Beyond the obvious air intake that everyone is getting you inhale a shitload of water vapor every time you take a warm shower.

water is full of chemicals, too.

you think that's only water you're breathing? no one takes a shower in fully filtered water.

Irobot82

I wonder if vaping is more/less harmful than breathing air in places like Los Angeles, New York City, Mexico City or any big city in China/India. All that brake dust and pollution.

rainz

There's something in cigs to fuel the addiction. Nicotine alone doesn't seem to be as addictive.
There are some studies showing MAOI like behavior from other chemicals in tobacco, not the nicotine...Could be what you are referring to.

I managed to quit, and frankly, easily after picking up vaping and going through the process of finding the right vape and spending a bunch of money on crap stuff first like everyone does...I was vaping a heap at first too, don't sweat it. Its a novelty to be able to "smoke" indoors hah..Then, as you start to cut nicotine down you find you don't need to vape so much.

Anyways, the jury is still out, we know but I'll take the risk of the few known chemicals in VG/PG/nicotine over the 7000 and 70 known carcinogens in cigarettes any and every day.

I'm a heavy smoker who has been vaping on and off but I'm determined to stick with it. It's at least made me cut down my cigarette intake. Obviously I'd love to vape 100% than smoke cigs but it's down to stress etc. How do you guys find going out drinking and vaping rather than smoking cigarettes?

molnizzle

It replaces smoking. Vaping is much safer, even if you do it all day.

Exactly.

Once you've moved over to vaping full time, you can slowly decrease the amount of nicotine in your juice to slowly get rid of your chemical dependency. Eventually you quit altogether if that's what you want.

Even if you don't though, it's safer than cigarettes. How much safer is up for debate, but just about everybody agrees that it can't be worse for you than cigarettes.

AnAnole

Exactly.

Once you've moved over to vaping full time, you can slowly decrease the amount of nicotine in your juice to slowly get rid of your chemical dependency. Eventually you quit altogether if that's what you want.

Even if you don't though, it's safer than cigarettes. How much safer is up for debate, but just about everybody agrees that it can't be worse for you than cigarettes.

You don't even need to quit though. Even if you vape the rest of your life, you'll still be much healthier than if you continued smoking cigarettes. Nicotine isn't really that harmful and is actually beneficial for some conditions.

rainz

I'm a heavy smoker who has been vaping on and off but I'm determined to stick with it. It's at least made me cut down my cigarette intake. Obviously I'd love to vape 100% than smoke cigs but it's down to stress etc. How do you guys find going out drinking and vaping rather than smoking cigarettes?

Its exactly the same as before lol. You just go outside the club and vape while friends smoke. Only now my friends or randoms a lot of times try to get a hit off you to try it etc lol

Sounds a little like you need to get your nic level on your vape matched up to what you are smoking as you mentioned still smoking down to stress..

I'd say the biggest risk comes from unregulated devices that lack the safety features necessary to prevent battery overheating or explosions.

Yep, low-quality batteries or knock-offs that draw too much power are the biggest dangers. But that's also partly true of any device using Lithium Ion batteries (looking at you Galaxy Note 7).

It's not smoking.

You didn't directly say it, but just to clarify, ecigs don't have water vapor. The vapor is composed of PG/VG/flavoring and coloring additives. There's not a massive amount of support that ecig vapor releases many carcinogens (or possibly, no carcinogens at all), so it's likely safe or only mildly unhealthy. But it's not water vapor you're inhaling.

PSYGN

Now that you realize you're vaping 100x more than you are smoking, you can slowly cut back on that to normal levels.

Slevin

I smoked for roughly 5 years before I decided I really wanted to quit. I switched to a vaporizer and started out with the highest nicotine amount. The thing for me was the throat hit, I had to feel that burn in the back of my throat. As I slowly lowered the nicotine levels my body lowered it's tolerance to nicotine so the throat hit remained even when I eventually reached 0% nicotine juice. Then I just had to break the habit of having something to smoke/vape. I'm finally free of all that crap. Took about 2 years but they can be a useful tool for quitting if you have terrible will-power like me.

A lot of these are additives though correct? Not all tobacco has all this shit.

Most of the chemicals in tobacco smoke are created in the combustion aka chemical reaction. And they are present even when burning natural "organic" "additive free" tobacco.

Rizific

its refreshing to see some people actually bothered to educate themselves on the subject and actually READ THE FUCKING STUDIES instead of vomit sensationalist tabloid headliners. reading any legitimate study and looking at the data will answer the question "are ecigs safer than cigarettes".

sjboi

Vaping helped me quit cigarettes (Newport 100s, 13 years a smoker) about a year ago. I found a flavor I like (blueberry cotton candy) at the lowest nicotine level available, and now I barely even smoke my vape at all. I can go days without smoking it and don't even notice! Highly recommended.

If you're vaping instead of smoking, that's good I guess, but if you're vaping all the time now instead of smoking maybe three or four times a day, won't that still do something to your teeth eventually? Even if you brush? I can't imagine it having no averse affects, and that one pops to mind first.

Speevy

Banned
If e-cigarettes don't give you emphysema or lung cancer, they're nowhere near "just as bad for you" as cigarettes.

Kwixotik

Can anyone recommend a "safer" brand of vapes? Someone already recommend vaporfi for "safe" juice. I'd appreciate it.

pa22word

Can anyone recommend a "safer" brand of vapes? Someone already recommend vaporfi for "safe" juice. I'd appreciate it.

Just look at the back of the label man. PG, vg, and flavoring is all you should see there. Anything else should be throwing up redflags.

If you mean the device itself, you should head into a local shop. Most good shops will have genuine devices that should have safety features. You can also get tanks that use special material on coils that, when paired with a device with good safety features will shut off before the coils have a chance to reach unsafe temps.

The company I work for has developed a device that puffs aerosol to replace cigarettes and are working in bringing it to the US. Currently, I'm loving it.

Iqos-Kit.jpg

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
By the time Papa Science finds out, that vaping is still killing you ,just more slowly, you'll probably be too far gone.

There's something in cigs to fuel the addiction. Nicotine alone doesn't seem to be as addictive.

Some people think it's the harmala alkaloids/beta carbolines in tobacco, but that's kind of strange since harmalas generally aren't seen as addictive. Maybe it's the combination or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom