• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

how is vaping supposed to help you cut back on smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the time Papa Science finds out, that vaping is still killing you ,just more slowly, you'll probably be too far gone.

Add it to the list of things that kill us slowly including fatty meats, fried stuff, air pollution, too many calories, too few calories, etc.. etc...

Skyzard

Banned
It's true, I vape way more than I smoked as it's so nice and easy to do. Been trying to cut back a bit.

But it's not smoking, if I smoked as much as I vaped, my throat would be shot to hell after a day or two.

As long as you get a good vape I think it's pretty damn effective at stopping people from smoking.

You dislike the taste, smell and harshness of cigs after vaping for a little while.

I make my own flavours, it's pretty easy and very cheap. Make my own wires, (only need like 1 set of coils every few months, as long as you can dry-burn them - this is for the dripping atty's). Quite a lot to read on if you want to do things manually, otherwise it can get pretty pricey. Very do-able but there's a few stages to go through learning resistance, skill in making the coils, knowing how to make ejuice flavours that come out to your taste - but it's worth it in the end. You get pretty self-sufficient. Now, it costs me very, very little to maintain.

But I bought shitloads to get to this stage :) Mostly because I was really into it.

Even spent hours practicing certain coil designs with wires and a drill plus some other tools to get the most flavour out of each puff.

My friend took up vaping because he was addicted to nicotine gum he used to quit cigarettes. Now he just goes with the vape all day like a monkey on crack. Can't put it down to engage in normal activities for more than a few moments. Uses a week's supply of the stuff at the highest legal dose in a day and panics when he's running out. It took over his life.

Weston

I got off smoking by vaping and then quit vaping. When you first quit smoking just go ahead and vape a ton and after awhile start cutting back. Every time I went down in nicotine I'd start vaping a ton and then I'd walk it back down. Took me about a year of vaping til I got down to zero nicotine. I vape constantly on zero but after awhile I completely lost the urge.

Chemicals in tobacco cigarette smoke

• Acetaldehyde: suspected carcinogen.
  • Acetone: irritant: can cause kidney and liver damage.
  • Acrolein: extremely toxic.
  • Acrylonitrile: suspected human carcinogen.
  • 1-aminonaphthalene: causes cancer.
  • 2-aminonaphthalene: causes bladder cancer.
  • Ammonia: raises blood pressure.
  • Benzene: carcinogen.
  • Benzo[a]pyrene: mutagenic and highly carcinogenic
  • 1,3-Butadiene: suspected carcinogen.
  • Butyraldehyde: damages the lining of nose and lungs.
  • Cadmium: a heavy metal and highly toxic
  • Carbon Monoxide: decreases heart and muscle function.
  • Catechol: causes respiratory tract irritation and dermatitis.
  • Chromium: heavy metal and carcinogen.
  • Cresol: causes upper respiratory, nasal and throat irritation.
  • Crotonaldehyde: thought to interfere with immune function.
  • Formaldehyde: carcinogen
  • Hydrogen Cyanide: lethal poison
  • Hydroquinone: affects central nervous system effects.
  • Isoprene: irritates skin,eyes and mucous membranes.
  • Lead: causes brain damage
  • Methyl Ethyl Ketone: depresses the central nervous system.
  • Nickel: causes bronchial asthma and is a known carcinogen.
  • Nicotine: increases in heart rate and blood pressure, addictive element
  • Nitric Oxide: linked to Huntington’s, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease and asthma.
  • NNN, NNK, and NAT: known or possible carcinogens
  • Phenol: damages the the liver, kidneys; respiratory, cardiovascular and central nervous system.
  • Polonium - radioactive*
  • Propionaldehyde: skin, eye and respiratory system irritant
  • Pyridine: causes eye and upper respiratory tract irritation
  • Quinoline: causes genetic damage and is a possible carcinogen
  • Resorcinol: skin and eye irritant
  • Styrene: carcinogen
  • Toluene: linked to permanent brain damage.

and why do they put all this in it? why isn't it just the tobacco and paper?

You guys vaping now are still after the same drug, you never smoked fags for their tar and shit it was always for the nicotine - if you still vaping using nicotine, well you are still "smoking" ,no?

But i do guess that being able to slowly reduce the nicotine level (without vaping just more often) could help cutting back.

The only reason there is/should be a stigma to nicotine is because of its disgusting delivery system; bad breath, stained teeth, hair and skin, stinky clothes, smoke, litter, etc. But nicotine as a drug, as with caffeine, seems kind of beneficial, or certainly benign enough we don't need to care that people are addicted to it. And we shouldn't be marginalizing the, so far, easiest method to reducing and eliminating the addiction.

There's something in cigs to fuel the addiction. Nicotine alone doesn't seem to be as addictive.
Aren't most of those "flavor" ingredients designed to maximize the addictiveness of the nicotine?

Speaking of flavor, I'd venture that male smokers would have felt quite emasculated/feminized if cigarettes suddenly adopted candy flavors, but now are happily bragging about strawberry coconut marshmallow tastes.

highrider

Banned
Speaking of flavor, I'd venture that male smokers would have felt quite emasculated/feminized if cigarettes suddenly adopted candy flavors, but now are happily bragging about strawberry coconut marshmallow tastes.

That's an interesting take on masculinity, and by interesting I mean fucked up.

Flavored cigars are common and they're portrayed as more 'masculine' than cigs.

darkwing

tumblr_onyks3BVFQ1vcaitdo1_500.gif
thus is amazing

TSM

Particulate matter seems like a particularly bad thing to breath regularly. Given the unregulated nature of the "juices" used in these devices I wouldn't necessarily assume it's safe to do in the long run.

Vaping was the only method that got both my parents to stop smoking.

They tried patches, gum, quitting cold turkey, nothing worked.

After 40 years for dad, 30 something years for mom, they were able to quit.
Unfortunately, it was too late for my dad, but my mom eventually stopped vaping because her cravings for cigs died off completely and vaping became too high maintenance. I think that's the point.

Paracelsus

Depends on who you are asking too. If you ask experienced long time smokers of tobacco (and I don't mean cigarettes, I mean smoking pipe or cigars too) they will look at you as if you insulted them if you mentioned flavored smoking.

Flavored cigars are common and they're portrayed as more 'masculine' than cigs.

Again, depends on who you talk to. Anything flavored is usually apple cores and chinese newspapers, you will look "hip" by smoking that way but it's not inherently considered masculine.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Add it to the list of things that kill us slowly including fatty meats, fried stuff, air pollution, too many calories, too few calories, etc.. etc...

Hey I'm a "do what thou wilt" kinda guy, as long as you aren't bringing harm to others.

Everything is killing us anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom