• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How JJ Abrams jilted Paramount for Episode 9

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Just made me realise how excited I would be to hear JJ returning to direct a Mission Impossible movie.

Though MI3 is my favorite film of the franchise, I'd rather have JJ stay on board as a producer and have him work on a new property at Paramount (after SW IX).

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
If there’s one thing that is super concerning, it’s the time frame.

They pretty much just tossed a bunch of stuff they were writing in the past year by the looks of it.

snap

Banned
Let's just get this out of the way: JJ Abrams is better than Colin Trevorrow to direct Ep9

Yes he will do a fine job and TFA was a good movie.

The prequels were bad but also led to some of the best stuff in the Star Wars universe thanks to the way they fleshed out certain aspects of that time period.

And yes it was a little disappointing that JJ will get another go at it. While TFA was good, it was also quite safe in a way that did not sit well with a lot of people, and we've already seen JJ's take on the Star Wars universe. Giving it to someone more out there would've been neat.

NimbusD

So JJ gets to put one over on Paramount AND GET 10 mil a year for free?

I mean, who wouldnt do that, but that's still dick of him.

Ruins that kind of deal for the next wave of directors.

snap

Banned
So JJ gets to put one over on Paramount AND GET 10 mil a year for free?

I mean, who wouldnt do that, but that's still dick of him.

Ruins that kind of deal for the next wave of directors.

doubtful that type of deal would ever happen again anyways

zeemumu

Yeah? Well between Monster Trucks, XXX 3, Rings, Ghost in the Shell, Baywatch, and Mother!, I can't really feel bad for Paramount this year.

That CEO position must be a revolving door right now

It's kind of amazing that you guys have gotten this far with your interest in Star Wars. Thirty years of prequels and special editions and whatever people bitch about in ROTJ couldn't kill Star Wars for you, but JJ Abrams did.

The most vocal critics of Abrams and the sequel trilogy are butthurt prequel apologists, so don't let it surprise you that much.

Wagram

I'll never act like one of those people that over exaggerate the Star Wars prequels, but I don't want JJ Abrams to do another film.

SpaceWolf

Banned
It's kind of amazing that you guys have gotten this far with your interest in Star Wars. Thirty years of prequels and special editions and whatever people bitch about in ROTJ couldn't kill Star Wars for you, but JJ Abrams did.

Yes, because in my saying Force Awakens was a bit too bland for my tastes in the way it was directed, I was obviously saying in actuality that JJ Abrams killed Star Wars for me.

Man alive, talk about people reacting hysterically.

It's also crazy how people can complain about originality and risk while they slap up the same 3 hand-me-down hot takes with the patches on em.

You want new start with formulating an opinion that wasn't scraped from a Reddit thread you skimmed on your lunch hour

If there’s one thing that is super concerning, it’s the time frame.

They pretty much just tossed a bunch of stuff they were writing in the past year by the looks of it.
Yup. I've been saying it for a while. But I guess Disney want that open Xmas '19 window given how TFA performed and that Summer 2020 likely wouldn't be as lucrative. And Xmas 2020 is taken.

Blader

What's stopping him?

An inclination toward directing new movies over sequels, which he hasn't followed through on in 6 years and counting now :lol

Yes, because in my saying Force Awakens was a bit too bland for my tastes in the way it was directed, I was obviously saying in actuality that JJ Abrams killed Star Wars for me.

Man alive, talk about people reacting hysterically.

"Still pretty gutted about JJ returning." GUTTED. And I'm hysterical.

OmegaFax

I am not a fan of J J Abrams either or Orci, Kurtzman, and Lindelof (or wherever else spawned in the wake of his producing/executive producing ... yeah, I know the latter three have nothing to do with Star Wars).

Abrams is like a kid and a coloring book. It took him too long to get through making two Star Trek and by the end of it, he'd colored outside the lines and drew in new pages for what he didn't like.

Futureman

I'll never act like one of those people that over exaggerate the Star Wars prequels, but I don't want JJ Abrams to do another film.

So if you didn't like Force Awakens people then accuse you of being a prequel fanboy? That's... odd/funny. Comes off like defensive SW fans who can't take any criticism of the brand.

It's also crazy how people can complain about originality and risk while they slap up the same 3 hand-me-down hot takes with the patches on em.

You want new start with formulating an opinion that wasn't scraped from a Reddit thread you skimmed on your lunch hour
This is a pretty dumb approach to take with a film that has been discussed to death to the point where no one is going to find a fresh take on it. And popular criticisms being popular doesn't negate anything about them. People have been saying this same shit about Force Awakens since it first went out into theaters, no one needed to skim a damn reddit thread.

SpaceWolf

Banned
"Still pretty gutted about JJ returning." GUTTED. And I'm hysterical.

Being "pretty gutted" about something is a very common, ubiquitous term for voicing general disappointment or regret about something, not outright hysteria, my man. If someone says "I was pretty gutted to miss out on that film" for example, they're just voicing their despondency for having missed it, they're not sobbing in the streets and tearing out their hair. It's not a hugely dramatic term.

But no, obviously, my being "pretty gutted" about a certain choice of director for Episode 9 obviously means JJ Abrams murdered my favourite science fiction franchise for me before my very eyes, that makes much more sense.

Futureman

it's really not a hot take at all to say JJ is super competent but by the numbers director.

Good thing for some SW fans is there will be 25 mainline SW moves over the next 50 years so Lucasfilm will probably make some interesting director choices eventually.

Jarmel

Banned
Paramount has to realize they have zero leverage in this situation. What? You think JJ can't get a huge contract at Disney right now? What can Paramount threaten him with?

DavidDesu

I'm glad they let him do it and didn't exert their influence and I'm sure some lawyers to make sure he couldn't, since Hollywood is full of this crap from what I understand.

I'm happy JJ is returning. The Force Awakens worked for me. It was such a fun experience in the cinema (midnight showing) with everyone laughing at the comedic moments and applauding at Rey grabbing the lightsaber... visually it captured the universe wonderfully, I honestly think it's a far better looking film than anything that's come out of the Avengers universe for instance, full of colour and depth.

It's a succinct, easy to watch blockbuster, set in the Star Wars universe as I recognise it and it was just a really well made film all round. JJ's best for sure as well. It introduced a trio of brilliant new characters who were almost flawlessly cast (Daisy Ridley has the odd wooden moment but is a world away from the prequels Anakin in terms of awfulness), and Finn and Poe are perfect.

Meh, screw the haters, this is FAR better than the prospect of Treverrow fucking up this trilogy! :p

This is a pretty dumb approach to take.

No, because it becomes really obvious when someone who has an opinion actually took time to think about it and formulate it on their own for longer than three fuckin' minutes.

The idea that advocating people come up with their own words using a modicum of thought and effort put into them—the notion that is "a dumb approach" is part of the problem I'm poking at.

Most complaints about "originality" and "risk" are hollow like cheap chocolate easter bunnies in the first place considering we're talking about fucking STAR WARS

No, because it becomes really obvious when someone who has an opinion actually took time to think about it and formulate it on their own for longer than three fuckin' minutes.

The idea that advocating people come up with their own words using a modicum of thought and effort put into them—the notion that is "a dumb approach" is part of the problem I'm poking at.

Most complaints about "originality" and "risk" are hollow like cheap chocolate easter bunnies in the first place considering we're talking about fucking STAR WARS

Without specifics this just reeks of a lazy way to dismiss people.

jett

D-Member
Abrams is one disloyal mofo.

And I just don't see this enormous value placed on Abrams. Like the article itself states, he hasn't really done much for Paramount.

SpaceWolf

Banned
At the end of the day, I think pretty much everyone in this thread can agree that Abrams is a noticeable step up from Trevorrow, even those of us who were left feeling pretty lukewarm towards Awakens. Perhaps now he'll be moving beyond the introductory chapter of a new saga, he'll feel free to take more "risks" as a film-maker.

Without specifics this just reeks of a lazy way to dismiss people.

I don't have to dismiss anyone or their shitty arguments because they're pretty easy to flip over on their merits, and lord knows I take the time to do so when given the opportunity (look at my woeful fucking post history if you don't believe me. Or what I'm doing right now for that matter).

I'm not looking for easy ways to dismiss people, I'm looking for better opinions to either agree or disagree with.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Does Paramount even have a project in mind for Abrams to direct next? The article says nada on that. I'd certainly be a bit more sympathetic if he had been in the middle of, or at least starting a new project for them when he signed on for EP9. Do they think he should just sit in their stable and wait patiently until they know what they want to use him for next?

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Does Paramount even have a project in mind for Abrams to direct next? The article says nada on that. I'd certainly be a bit more sympathetic if he had been in the middle of, or at least starting a new project for them when he signed on for EP9. Do they think he should just sit in their stable and wait patiently until they know what they want to use him for next?

I'm still hoping for those Portal and Half-Life movies he talked about :(

Bad Robot's gonna send Dan Trachtenberg in sometime over the next 3 months wearing an Eraserhead wig and big glasses and have him say he's JJ Abrams and he's ready to go to work.

They'll shrug and roll with it. Because what choice do they have.

Top Bottom