• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many Games do you own Physically?

Makariel

I still prefer to have a physical disc over digital, even though I don't use the discs on my pc anymore. I just enter the steam code and download it, my PC doesn't have a disc drive.

I still have more PS3 and x360 games on disc than for PS4, even though I traded in many old games. I'm not a collector, I just keep some games that I play over and over (demon's souls).

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
My spreadsheet says 2,166 physical
omg.gif

PocoJoe

Banned
Had over 1000 from nes to ps4.

Now maybe 600 after selling xbox stuff and other ones i dont like to collect anymore.

Still have 350+ ps2 games

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
15. i'm all digital on PS4 + PC. i have a load of digital titles on Switch but love cartridges so got some physical games for it. the 360 games i don't play anymore...they were just sitting in my cupboard gathering dust. not worth selling them and anyway i might go back to playing some fallout/rdr/halo at some point.

n2CGkpa.jpg

NnyXuSD.jpg

I've probably got close to 80-ish physical games, starting from back in my Sega Master System days, mostly stored in my mums garage.
Today, I only buy digital games. Swapping disks is a pain.

Last edited:
It’s not that hard when you’ve been collecting games for over 30 years, though it’s been harder in the last year (fewer games, fewer discounts, more censorship, more digital-only, more incomplete games without online drm, DLC, or massive unnessecary patches - gaming is dying). Also, the number of those games that you can still play is probably a bit lower. My copy of Star Wars Galaxies won’t get me far now.

VertigoOA

Banned
Zero.

I think collections and hoarding toys is proud display of horrible buying habits. I got rid of all the old stuff ... and I still have access to them if I want to with modern hardware.

Last edited:
Zero.

I think collections and hoarding toys is proud display of horrible buying habits. I got rid of all the old stuff ... and I still have access to them if I want to with modern hardware.
Hoarding is keeping things like plastic bags and bell bottom jeans from 1979 - things you don’t need, things you don’t want, but you can’t throw away. Hoarding is a psychological disease. It causes anguish to throw things away.

Collecting is about surrounding yourself with things that bring you joy and seeking out the wholeness of those things. We display these things because it is an accomplishment. Hoarding isn’t an accomplishment like collecting. And our attachment is more healthy. Like, if I lost my collection tomorrow in a house fire, I’d be upset - REALLY upset - but it wouldn’t break me as long as my family was fine. And collections tend to be laser focesed. There’s almost nothing in my house that isn’t gaming related.

People who try to equate collecting with hoarding are just trying to make themselves feel better as they look on with envy at the accomplishments of others.

My spreadsheet says 2,166 physical (380 digital, though those aren’t real games). I haven’t updated my summary table to show Switch games, but I have an average of about 40 games per system, with the PS2-PS4 having a couple hundred each.

I probably shouldn’t count Windows games anymore, since we’re a long way away from Windows 95 and I’ll bet the majority of them can’t be installed or played from their disc due to install servers being long gone (though I’ve still got the serial codes). I wonder if I’ve still got those two extra Spore install slots left...

Do you split your games in the spreadsheet to different Consoles from different companies like I do, or are they just listed Alphabetically?

I tried to do the latter but it is a pain to reorganise things in a column.

I find it easier to split them up on different sheets and then apply what I paid vs the percieved value (i.e: rough estimates from eBay, GameValueNow etc) with digital games having no value at all but a set price (unless stated otherwise).

I also do this for hardware and Artbooks just to be safe.

2000 sounds like a lot of work that can easily take a day but I hope it is updated daily for you. :)

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Hoarding is keeping things like plastic bags and bell bottom jeans from 1979 - things you don’t need, things you don’t want, but you can’t throw away. Hoarding is a psychological disease. It causes anguish to throw things away.

Collecting is about surrounding yourself with things that bring you joy and seeking out the wholeness of those things. We display these things because it is an accomplishment. Hoarding isn’t an accomplishment like collecting. And our attachment is more healthy. Like, if I lost my collection tomorrow in a house fire, I’d be upset - REALLY upset - but it wouldn’t break me as long as my family was fine. And collections tend to be laser focesed. There’s almost nothing in my house that isn’t gaming related.

People who try to equate collecting with hoarding are just trying to make themselves feel better as they look on with envy at the accomplishments of others.

I have to agree. When I first moved in with my wife she thought I was a hoarder because I kept a grey Sega Saturn that had a broken spindle. This part can be easily replaced. She didn't want any of that. She read Marie Kondo's book about getting rid of stuff that didn't have any meaning. She explained to me that since it didn't work I was a hoarder because I kept broken items that had no worth. It is incredibly frustrating. I do play my games and even if I didn't, people don't throw away the movies they watched if its their favorite film, their favorite books, or a collection of CD's they keep in their car just because they aren't listening to that CD. My consoles don't smell and I can still remember why I purchased the game I forgot I owned. Even so, if I were to hold a game in my hand that I forgot I owned then it may come at a surprise or its part of the reason to why I enjoy video games period.

If you see a group of games and say "that person is a hoarder" then you're misunderstanding the reason to owning video games IMO. You're misplacing this desire to point out ownership of a physical object. Just because someone gets rid of everything doesn't mean they've given up either, so don't misunderstand what I'm saying.

This is a reason to why I'm mainly into buying digital games. Its because I want to have a library and not worry about something happening to me (where I live). I realize my wife wouldn't do this, but what if she decides it all needs to go? She doesn't, but she wanted me to get rid of my Japanese Sega Saturn. I had that because I wanted both the grey and the white Sega Saturn. I loved how they looked together. Yet she didn't see it that way. I gave it to a coworker and he has it displayed at his house. Why is that so bad?

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
A collection of unplayed games is not an accomplishment. It’s nothing to be proud of as far as I’m concerned. It’s just a proud display of money pissed away. I’ve played way too many and spent a lot on it to recognize it could’ve became a serious problem before I put an end to it. Same goes for any kind of collector, don’t care if it’s pops toys or amiibo. A display of useless shit that someone actually spent money on.

Last edited:

IbukiLordSA

Moved countries so had to sell off a lot of my games but I moved mostly to digital:

PS4 - 10
Switch - 16
Wii - 4
PSVita - 2
Gamecube - 2
PS2 - 2

Last edited:
Do you split your games in the spreadsheet to different Consoles from different companies like I do, or are they just listed Alphabetically?
I keep two master tables, one for physical games and one for digital games, that is just the game name, console, series (where applicable), date purchased, and whether I've played it or not (which I'm not particularly good at updating). I keep separate yearly purchases tables which keep track of which games I bought and what they cost (when a preorder ships, I copy its line from the purchased table to the master list). Then I have multiple other tables which tabulate everything from those two to produce stuff like monthly spending graphs, how many PS4 games I have, how many game I buy per year, and so on.

I also do this for hardware and Artbooks just to be safe.
I consider gaming hardware to be a secondary purchase that belong on my yearly non-gaming budget spreadsheet (I collect games and only games, the hardware is just there to play the games).

2000 sounds like a lot of work that can easily take a day but I hope it is updated daily for you. :)
It was a pain making it in the first place - I had to go through my collection and note about a thousand games. But my collection only ever grows, never shrinks, so I only have to update the spreadsheet when I get something new... which is often, but not daily. I think I only bought 5 games in January.

I do play my games and even if I didn't, people don't throw away the movies they watched if its their favorite film, their favorite books, or a collection of CD's they keep in their car just because they aren't listening to that CD. My consoles don't smell and I can still remember why I purchased the game I forgot I owned. Even so, if I were to hold a game in my hand that I forgot I owned then it may come at a surprise or its part of the reason to why I enjoy video games period.
I think you have the right of it. Physical items are a sort of memory totem. It's like people who smell a certain perfume or hear a certain song and remember a specific experience in their life. Looking through my game collection, I'm taken back, not just to the games that I played, but also to the time period that I played it.

Like, looking at Lufia 2, I remember staring at it at the local Toys R Us when it was about twice as expensive as every other game there (I think it was something outrageous, like $95). I remember playing it while sitting on my girlfriend's (now wife's) couch in her tiny apartment and getting frustrated because I was in the big random dungeon with no way to save and I had a physics class coming up

I see 1080 and I remember the time I brought it in to show my producer at the game company I was working at (making a snowboarding game), which he dismissed a crap after playing for about 30 seconds.

My Japanese copy of Mario Kart 64, I remember paying a local importing store about $150 for it and it included a special N64 controller that I made mine and mine alone - nobody else could touch that controller when we played Goldeneye every Friday night.

Or Utawarerumono 2, where I was so into the games that I played the two games back to back for about 8 hours a day for two or three weeks - I did nothing but play those games. I laughed, I cried, I was blown away, and luckily, I didn't get any blood clots in my legs.

Multiply that by about 2,000. My collection isn't just games. It is history. My history. The game's history. The industry's history. I can run my fingers down the spines of these games and be taken back to some memory - almost all of them fond.

Petrae

I think you have the right of it. Physical items are a sort of memory totem. It's like people who smell a certain perfume or hear a certain song and remember a specific experience in their life. Looking through my game collection, I'm taken back, not just to the games that I played, but also to the time period that I played it.

Like, looking at Lufia 2, I remember staring at it at the local Toys R Us when it was about twice as expensive as every other game there (I think it was something outrageous, like $95). I remember playing it while sitting on my girlfriend's (now wife's) couch in her tiny apartment and getting frustrated because I was in the big random dungeon with no way to save and I had a physics class coming up

I see 1080 and I remember the time I brought it in to show my producer at the game company I was working at (making a snowboarding game), which he dismissed a crap after playing for about 30 seconds.

My Japanese copy of Mario Kart 64, I remember paying a local importing store about $150 for it and it included a special N64 controller that I made mine and mine alone - nobody else could touch that controller when we played Goldeneye every Friday night.

Or Utawarerumono 2, where I was so into the games that I played the two games back to back for about 8 hours a day for two or three weeks - I did nothing but play those games. I laughed, I cried, I was blown away, and luckily, I didn't get any blood clots in my legs.

Multiply that by about 2,000. My collection isn't just games. It is history. My history. The game's history. The industry's history. I can run my fingers down the spines of these games and be taken back to some memory - almost all of them fond.

I have built a library of video games that teenage me always wanted. My mom hated video games, and we were a poor single-parent family... so I had to wait until adulthood to stsrt buying and playing my own stuff. I was a foolish young adult, trading and selling stuff on a whim and not appreciating it like I do now.

Like you, every game in my library is attached to some life event or memory. As I make my way toward 50, I consider it important to keep those memories alive and cherish them.

At the same time, I’ve been building toward my ultimate divorce from modern console video gaming. Quitting modern shit doesn’t mean quitting video games altogether. For decades, I loved video games, but stuff happened that gradually made me hate them. With this collection, I can go back to when I thought video gaming was awesome. No DLC or patches or firmware updates. Just gaming with little to no waiting.

Ridaxan

I probably have about 30 physical games left (got rid of 200+ titles over the last couple of years) between PS1/PS2/NGC/PS3/Xbox360/WiiU.

PS4 I'm fully digital. 50+ games at this point.

Daymos

8 switch, 10 ps4, 15 3ds, and I would guess there's a solid 200 n64, ps2, ps3, gameboy, gamecube, wii, wii U, and DS games in the closet. I got rid of my entire nes, snes, xbox, and xbox360 collections since those consoles were dead.

I like buying digital but moving forward as Switch gamers anything that sparks my wifes interest on switch I'm going to buy physical instead of obvious reasons.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
From NES to PS4 I have a shit ton. Old PC games included as well. I miss the old huge PC game boxes:messenger_downcast_sweat:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

I appreciate your response (more than you may realize). As I have an imported copy of Crisis Core for PSP on my shelf. The very last video game my late father purchased for me. I purchased the Japanese Saturn versions of X-Men vs. Street Fighter and Marvel vs. Street Fighter. Those games I played in the arcade and when I moved to this state. Just staring at their box art takes me back to a time when my mother would take us to the mall and she would go shopping while I went and played at the arcade. That arcade is now a department store and that machine is probably in someone's basement at another arcade somewhere (possibly spare parts). I have two copies of Silent Hill 2 due to one being faulty. I'm taken back to when I preorded it at Babbages, putting $5 down, and picking it up. I still remember the ride to pick up the game with my dad. The same goes for Metal Gear Solid 2 too.

abbyabs

PS4- 5

I tend to sell most single player games and move onto the next one to many games to play these days, If i really wanted to play it again I will just buy it at cheaper price .

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
A collection of unplayed games is not an accomplishment. It’s nothing to be proud of as far as I’m concerned. It’s just a proud display of money pissed away. I’ve played way too many and spent a lot on it to recognize it could’ve became a serious problem before I put an end to it. Same goes for any kind of collector, don’t care if it’s pops toys or amiibo. A display of useless shit that someone actually spent money on.

anzhar

ps1 (2) tekken 3, premer manager 98

ps2 (4) hsf2 anniversary, alpha anthology, pro evo 6, club football Liverpool fc

ngc (8) mario kart double dash x 8 (in process of selling , have 8 consoles and did have 8 broadband adapters but sold them)

og xbox (1) championship manager 02/03

ps3 (50?) have everything digtally, but also have sealed copy of all the physically released fighting games (but not the sent seiya type fighters, I don't class them as fighters)

xbox 360 (1) never owned the console but have a sealed copy of Capcom digital collection for sf2 hdr

Vawn

Banned
Just physical? This generation:

PS4 - 69
Switch - 22
Xbox One - 0 (I own Cuphead and Ori both digitally)

Garnox

Phew, pretty thorough list you have there. I have no idea on what my library is broken down by, but if I had to venture a guess, I’d have close to 100 physical titles from SNES-current.

All my NES titles I gave to my brother.

sublimit

Banned
Too lazy to count.

Here is my collection. It's not much but i play videogames since the 80s. Sadly i'm poor and have no job, thats why i can't buy a game every month. But the collection is my hobby and i don't buy digital games. What i buy, i play.

Sorry for pictures.

That's a very nice collection.Lots of gems in it!The only thing i don't like is that they are stacked! >_<
And i hope you find a job that you like soon! :)

Last edited:

silentstorm

I think i have a few, but haven't touched them in a while and i've been pratically digital nowadays.

Mostly because while i am sparing money for a Switch, i no longer own all my old systems like my old GB or PSP and at the moment only have a laptop...that has no CD/DVD/Blu-Ray drive at all, so i literally can't play psychical games with it even if i wanted to right now.

That, and a lot of games i play are indie or from small developers and tend to either not get physical copies or they are only done in Limited Runs so there is that as well.

KiteGr

I have them spread in in different houses, so I'll post the immediate available.
157 PS2
92 PS4

Incoming PS3, PS1, SNES, GBA, DS, PSP and PSV
I won't bother with GBC or PC as I can't find most of them, and PC's DRM makes all games digital now days anyway...

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Probably at least 2,000 overall. 215 PS4 games is my most recent contribution to my lifelong collection. I've got walls and walls of Atari, NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Genesis, etc.

tav7623

As far as physical games go I've got about 332 physical games (see breakdown below) not including several games that I've got pre-ordered/backed via Kickstarter.

NES - 14
SNES - 4
Super Famicom - 1
Gameboy -4
Gameboy Advance - 2
Nintendo DS - 3
Nintendo 3DS - 15
Nintendo Wii - 8
Nintendo Wii U - 33
Sega Genesis - 15
N64 - 10
PS1 - 29
PS2 - 62
PS3 - 30
PS4 - 47
PS Vita - 4
Xbox - 2
Xbox 360 - 10
Xbox One -28
PC - 11

Rare/Limited Releases:
The Last Story LE (Wii) w/pre - order soundtrack
Devil's Third (Wii U)
Bayonetta 2 w/Bayonetta 1 game disc (Wii U)
Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE Collector's Edition (Wii U)
Tomba (PS1)
Castlevania Chronicles (PS1)
Friday the 13th: The Game Steelbook case (KS exclusive item) signed by Tom Savini, Thom Matthews, & Tom McLoughlin (I plan to have Kane Hodder add his Autograph to it next month)
Evil Dead Regeneration signed by actor Ted Raimi who voiced Sam in the game (I'm gonna try to get the other lead actor Bruce Campbell to sign it next month)
Soldner X-2 w/Soundtrack (LRG PS4)
Claire (LRG PS4)
Momodora: Reverie in the Moonlight (LRG PS4)
Lone Survivor (LRG PS4)
Night Trap Remaseterd (LRG PS4)
Y's Origins (LRG PS4)

Preordered/Kickstarter (KS) Physical Games:
Shenmue 3 (KS PS4)
Bloodstained (KS PS4)
Sundered (KS PS4)
Xeno Crisis (KS Sega Genesis)
Project Sense (KS PS4)
Jak & Daxter HD (LRG PS4)
Jak 2 HD (LRG PS4)
Double Switch Remastered (LRG PS4)

Last edited:
I keep two master tables, one for physical games and one for digital games, that is just the game name, console, series (where applicable), date purchased, and whether I've played it or not (which I'm not particularly good at updating). I keep separate yearly purchases tables which keep track of which games I bought and what they cost (when a preorder ships, I copy its line from the purchased table to the master list). Then I have multiple other tables which tabulate everything from those two to produce stuff like monthly spending graphs, how many PS4 games I have, how many game I buy per year, and so on.

I consider gaming hardware to be a secondary purchase that belong on my yearly non-gaming budget spreadsheet (I collect games and only games, the hardware is just there to play the games).

It was a pain making it in the first place - I had to go through my collection and note about a thousand games. But my collection only ever grows, never shrinks, so I only have to update the spreadsheet when I get something new... which is often, but not daily. I think I only bought 5 games in January.

Damn. That is much more complex than mine is! Mine doesn't have date purchased (a little late for that but I keep all my receipts in an email folder so it isn't too bad). I wish I could cross refer spreadsheets like you do.

That's true. My hardware is a basic sheet of whether it is modded, Price of purchase and whatnot. Although perhaps I should add it in a non-gaming budget.

Likewise here! It is good once it is up and running but I do sell games when I either complete them 100% or they no longer interest me. I also have a separate Screenshot Folder for fun now.

Consoles:

Atari 2600 - 2
Sega Genesis - 2
NES - 5
SNES - 7
N64 - 7
NGC - 24
Wii - 6
PS 2 slim - 13
Xbox 360 slim - 24

Handheld:

GB '89 - 3
Sega GG - 1
PSP 3000 - 1
GBA - 9
NDS lite - 10 + 100 classic books
3DS xl - 10

Last edited:

Norse

2 - panzer dragoon orta & jet set radio future

Wish I had large collection like some of you so I could sell them for cash lol

God of War 3, BF3, GT5, Dark Souls, Kingdom Hearts 1.5HD, Halo 3, Halo Anniversary, Persona 4 Golden.

8 physical PS3/360 games.
~150 Digital PS3/PS4/Vita games.

elCT

Neo Member
I am proud to say that now I own just one physical game (Arms for Switch). Went fully digital and can't be happier. Bought Arms only because I wanted it and it had a discount big enough to make me buy a physical copy.

Top Bottom