• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Much Money Do We Think iOS Games Actually Make?!

Haunted

I don't see how it's crazy. It's actually something they are considering (and probably working on behind closed doors). I'm not the only one who thinks it would make sense and could probably work if they get it right. They could theoretically base it on 3DS, which would mean they'd have a pretty damn strong software lineup right out of the gate. You really think a smartphone that plays all DS, DSi, 3DS, DSiWare, VC and eShop games wouldn't sell?
Without the App Store? Without the Google Play store?

I absolutely think it wouldn't sell. You're vastly overestimating both Nintendo's brand name and their expertise in the area if you think they can just enter the phone market successfully like that.

Ulairi

Banned
Oh, you're one of those.

So if Sony was losing money overall, but their gaming division itself was profitable, it wouldn't matter, we would say gaming market is not profitable, because who cares if there are other reasons for the losses, all that maters is they're there.

Unless you have the numbers indicating exactly what part of the losses is "the unhealthy dedicated gaming handheld market's fault", I'm sorry but I don't agree with that way of thinking.

But I guess asking for real information instead of sensational bullshit is just making up excuses, sorry about that.

I think one can say the market for traditional gaming as a units sold may shrink over last generation but I thought Nintendo will still pull in a huge amount of profit from it and that is by the definition of a healthy market.

Vinci

Danish
I'm postulating that the handheld market will shrink this generation. It's justa hypothetical, though. Last gen was fantastic for Nintendo, in all phases.

Okay. Let's speak hypothetically. What if the handheld market were to shrink, but Nintendo's system performs roughly the same as its last handheld generation while Sony's performs less well? Does that mean the market is unhealthy and Nintendo should abandon ship? I mean, obviously, they would prefer it grow from one generation to the next, but that's not always an easy thing to do... in any industry or market.

EDIT: Furthermore, what if this new handheld generation allows Nintendo to enter more competitively into the DD area? Is it still a loss if the 3DS were to sell less than the DS?

Ulairi

Banned

I absolutely think it wouldn't sell. You're vastly overestimating both Nintendo's brand name and their expertise in the area if you think they can just enter the phone market successfully like that.

I agree with you. I think you're underselling the power of Nintendo's brand but I don't think Nintendo has any interest in creating their own mobile phone platform or phone. That would require a huge amount of resources on a big gamble. I think they are much more comfortable and it's much smarter for them to continue to build their own devices and sell their games like they always have. Anyone who thinks that Nintendo should even try to create a mobile phone OR or mobile phone is being very silly. I could possibly see them using an open source mobile OS as the platform OS but the device would still be a non-mobile phone.

wsippel

Banned

Why would they need the App Store or the Google Store when they already have thousands of games of a much higher average quality?

Ulairi

Banned
You do realize how silly that argument appears to reasonable people right?

You're not reasonable and it is a perfectly valid argument. If it is OK for someone to say that "I would love to play Mario but I don't want to carry an extra device around to do so" and that's why they really like the iPhone then it is perfectly reasonable to say "I don't mind carrying around an extra device because I really like playing on a device with buttons". Both are personal tastes and both are equally as valid. Only to completely delusional Apple fans would one say that it isn't reasonable.

Vinci

Danish
You're not reasonable and it is a perfectly valid argument. If it is OK for someone to say that "I would love to play Mario but I don't want to carry an extra device around to do so" and that's why they really like the iPhone then it is perfectly reasonable to say "I don't mind carrying around an extra device because I really like playing on a device with buttons". Both are personal tastes and both are equally as valid. Only to completely delusional Apple fans would one say that it isn't reasonable.

To be fair, his seems to be backed by some evidence whereas yours is more of a personal opinion. I can say this because I'm reasonably sure that more people game on touchscreen nowadays than they do anything with buttons, so I imagine the numbers are on his side - not 50/50 as your comments seem to allege.

Odrion

Banned
I think that the handheld market has changed, but no, I don't think going for iOS is a good investment. That whole marketplace reeks of being in a bubble.

What I think they should've done was make a cheaper alternative to the iPod Touch and target a younger demographic. Maybe they can turn the 3DS into that, maybe not.

SmokyDave

Why would they need the App Store or the Google Store when they already have thousands of games of a much higher average quality?

You wouldn't know it to look at the pace of Virtual Console releases. I guess that's the biggest indicator that Nintendo won't be dropping ROMS on iOS, they barely put them on their own service.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar

Hey man whatever helps you sleep at night, thankfully I live and work in the real world.

M3d10n

Okay. Let's speak hypothetically. What if the handheld market were to shrink, but Nintendo's system performs roughly the same as its last handheld generation while Sony's performs less well? Does that mean the market is unhealthy and Nintendo should abandon ship? I mean, obviously, they would prefer it grow from one generation to the next, but that's not always an easy thing to do... in any industry or market.

EDIT: Furthermore, what if this new handheld generation allows Nintendo to enter more competitively into the DD area? Is it still a loss if the 3DS were to sell less than the DS?

A big part of the overwhelming success the DS had over the GBA was caused by the DS Lite going "viral" among a completely new audience which is not guaranteed to stick around forever, specially now that it's being courted by smartphone gaming. If those people move elsewhere, dropping back to GBA levels would not be strange.

You wouldn't know it to look at the pace of Virtual Console releases. I guess that's the biggest indicator that Nintendo won't be dropping ROMS on iOS, they barely put them on their own service.

Cold blooded. Anyway, I think only a few old ROMs have strong sales potential on their own. Even if all of the VC was on iOS for .99, I'm sure a lot of games would just sit there.

Bundles like Sega's are a much better way to get them selling.

Ulairi

Banned
To be fair, his seems to be backed by some evidence whereas yours is more of a personal opinion. I can say this because I'm reasonably sure that more people game on touchscreen nowadays than they do anything with buttons, so I imagine the numbers are on his side - not 50/50 as your comments seem to allege.

My comment doesn't allege any numbers. There are more than 100,000,000 Nintendo DS, tens of millions of PSPs, millions of Vitas and 3DS, millions of XBox 360, almost 100,000,000 Nintendo Wii's, millions of PS3, millions of PS2s, and there are millions of PCs that people game with. All of those have buttons. The numbers do not matter when it comes to a personal choice. There could be 2 billion iOS devices and all 2 billion iOS devices could be used to play games and there could be 10 million Nintendo 3DS devices. If someone likes to play on a device with buttons their personal choice is just as balid as someone who doesn't want to lug around an extra device. It's a personal choice and they are equally as valid.

Smokeydave said that he doesn't really want to haul around extra devices and one of the reasons he loves his iPhone is that he can play games he enjoys because of it. I, do not mind carrying my 3DS with me. My choice is no more valid than his choice we just have a different personal preference. That is the point I'm trying to make and it is perfectly reasonable.

Yes, Nintendo should make a SMARTPHONE.

Is everyone seeing this stuff? Is this real life? Can someone confirm I read what I just read? Again, you can't make this shit up.

Yes, Apple should make a SMARTPHONE.

Is everyone seeing this stuff? Is this real life? Can someone confirm I read what I just read? Again, you can't make this shit up.

Of course i am just taking light jibe but did we see the Apple of today in 2002? How about Google or Samsung?

If Vita had a SIM card and worked as with 3G is it considered a smartphone if you were able to make calls to other people with it using vo-ip programs?

The phone part of the "smartphone" is probably the most redundant and commoditive part of the phone that it is basically an after thought. Todays smartphones are just microformfactor personal computers now that can perfrom phone functions. I don't see why a gaming device cannot add phone functionality just how the iPod added phone functionality to their device.

It may be time to think outside of the box, there may be further disruptions to the telecommunications market and it may come from asia and not america. the writing is on the wall already with f2p companies in korea and china being part of this big change (as well as hardware vendors such as samsung and htc) and soon maybe nintendo will enter this market with their own platfrom based on their current portable offerings and future online software platforms.

a 3DS redesign that is more smartphone in design (clamshell but detachable second screen) but like the asus transformer for those who only want to have more limited gaming experiences. I am not saying this kind of thing will happen but did people really see apple being the top in phones 10 years ago? Did we see iOS beating Windows 10 years ago? what do people think will happen in 10 years in the OS space and who will be the biggest players as convergence of technology seem to be bringing all of these big tech firms together.

I remember when I had my first 3g touchscreen facechat smartphone and it was made by motorola in 2003

A9202.jpg

specs

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_a920-517.php

I thought that 10 years from then that we would get something like the Galaxy SII today but I didn't know that it would first come from apple. I also thought that windows would be the popular OS and that AMD would be the GPU and Intel the CPU most dominant in the smart phone space. In 2003 Apple announced the safari web browser and launched iTunes, the previous year they had just released the iPod which had still yet to take the world by storm. Most of us really did not see it coming and even if we did, we did not know from where it was coming from

I know people are talking a lot about the current platforms of iOS and Android like they will be the current incumbents for generations to come but it might not even last ten years and most of these big companies may know this to be true and are preparing for changes. Nintendo has been around since the 80's (the 1880's) and they would like to steer their ship long into a calm blue ocean for as long as they possibly can, but entering a turbulent and violent storm in a red ocean that is now the portable entertainment space is not something they are averse to as it is part of the cycle. You can be sure that nintendo has done some r&d with the smartphoen market and will enter the market if they can disrupt their way into it. Taking on apple head on is not the way they will do it of course but it will be done in an indirect way and on their own terms.

Ulairi

Banned
Hey man whatever helps you sleep at night, thankfully I live and work in the real world.

You're such a troll. You have no actual response but a troll response. I live and work in the real world and I'm able to carry about a 3DS and game on it. What does that have to do with anything again? It doesn't. You're just trolling and that's fine. Enjoy living under your bridge.

wsippel

Banned
The appeal of the app store is not limited to just games.
And the eShop isn't limited to games, either. Right now, games obviously make up the vast majority of titles, but developers are free to develop creativity and productivity apps as well.

Ulairi

Banned

Does Nintendo even support the virtual console service anymore? The Wii is 6 years old and they still do not have their own library up on it. It's a total joke.

The average ios game makes $86,000, but the median was only $2400 in a survey of 250 game developers which means there are a few games making good money and a lot of games making little money. Developers made more from in game advertising than from the actual game sales. In game advertising revenue is included in these numbers.

http://maniacdev.com/2011/10/survey...e-2400-average-86315-per-game-last-12-months/

This is 6 months old

In 2011, apple paid 2 billion to ios developers for 10 billion downloads, but that would include all the free fart aps and dosen't include revenue from in game advertising.

jcm

Good question. I think you need to look deeper and further to answer it. Why is the market shrinking? Will it stop shrinking once Nintendo finishes eating Sony's share? Markets in general should be growing just due to inflation and population growth. If the market is shrinking, you need to take a good hard look at it. Maybe in our hypo it's just disillusioned sonyfans leaving the market, but it's otherwise healthy and growing. That's probably ok. If the market is shrinking due to replacement with other, growing entertainment markets, then that's bad for Nintendo long term.

I mean, at some point this is all hair-splitting and navel-gazing, because who really cares whether you or I think a market is healthy? And even if you care, Nintendo could make billions of dollars in an unhealthy market. And Sony has proven they can lose billions in a healthy market. But sometimes it's fun to discuss unimportant things, so here we are.

I don't understand the question.

Vinci

Danish
A big part of the overwhelming success the DS had over the GBA was caused by the DS Lite going "viral" among a completely new audience which is not guaranteed to stick around forever, specially now that it's being courted by smartphone gaming. If those people move elsewhere, dropping back to GBA levels would not be strange.

'If those people move elsewhere' seems more like an assumption than any sort of actual market research. Though I'm less than enthused with the 3DS's value proposition compared to the DS's, and thus could see it selling less, I don't think this has anything to do with audience loyalty - and everything to do with Nintendo bringing out something that is simply less inspiring to the wider audience. This does not mean it's impossible to appeal to that larger audience with a different product - be it the Wii U or otherwise. In fact, many would have likely said that it would be impossible for the DS to appeal to that audience - and yet, here we are.

I think this is another example of people assuming loyalties onto people that are either weaker than imagined or virtually non-existent. The rule is simple: Make something appealing that cannot be easily adopted by a competitor and people will buy it. Doesn't matter who makes it.

And the eShop isn't limited to games, either. Right now, games obviously make up the vast majority of titles, but developers are free to develop creativity and productivity apps as well.

But why would they? That's what I'm saying.

Good question. I think you need to look deeper and further to answer it.

They did. This led to the development of the Wii. Which I allege would've sold just as well regardless of the iPhone or iPad existing.

As for my question about DD: Nintendo needs a capable DD service. The 3DS and Wii U are allowing them to develop the foundations for one. This is inherently valuable going forward. So I think, from a long-term perspective, this is a value-add for the firm regardless of whether it pays off significantly this generation or not.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Of course i am just taking light jibe but did we see the Apple of today in 2002? How about Google or Samsung?

If Vita had a SIM card and worked as with 3G is it considered a smartphone if you were able to make calls to other people with it using vo-ip programs?

The phone part of the "smartphone" is probably the most redundant and commoditive part of the phone that it is basically an after thought. Todays smartphones are just microformfactor personal computers now that can perfrom phone functions. I don't see why a gaming device cannot add phone functionality just how the iPod added phone functionality to their device.

It may be time to think outside of the box, there may be further disruptions to the telecommunications market and it may come from asia and not america. the writing is on the wall already with f2p companies in korea and china being part of this big change (as well as hardware vendors such as samsung and htc) and soon maybe nintendo will enter this market with their own platfrom based on their current portable offerings and future online software platforms.

a 3DS redesign that is more smartphone in design (clamshell but detachable second screen) but like the asus transformer for those who only want to have more limited gaming experiences. I am not saying this kind of thing will happen but did people really see apple being the top in phones 10 years ago? Did we see iOS beating Windows 10 years ago? what do people think will happen in 10 years in the OS space and who will be the biggest players as convergence of technology seem to be bringing all of these big tech firms together.

I remember when I had my first 3g touchscreen facechat smartphone and it was made by motorola in 2003

A9202.jpg

specs

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_a920-517.php

I thought that 10 years from then that we would get something like the Galaxy SII today but I didn't know that it would first come from apple. I also thought that windows would be the popular OS and that AMD would be the GPU and Intel the CPU most dominant in the smart phone space. In 2003 Apple announced the safari web browser and launched iTunes, the previous year they had just released the iPod which had still yet to take the world by storm. Most of us really did not see it coming and even if we did, we did not know from where it was coming from

I know people are talking a lot about the current platforms of iOS and Android like they will be the current incumbents for generations to come but it might not even last ten years and most of these big companies may know this to be true and are preparing for changes. Nintendo has been around since the 80's (the 1880's) and they would like to steer their ship long into a calm blue ocean for as long as they possibly can, but entering a turbulent and violent storm in a red ocean that is now the portable entertainment space is not something they are averse to as it is part of the cycle. You can be sure that nintendo has done some r&d with the smartphoen market and will enter the market if they can disrupt their way into it. Taking on apple head on is not the way they will do it of course but it will be done in an indirect way and on their own terms.
In a market where Windows Phone 7 is a distant third, burning billions of dollars just to carve out some very meager form of survival, I doubt Nintendo would consider smartphone development for even one second.

And if we're talking a post-smartphone device.. It still seems pie-in-the-sky unlikely for Nintendo to be a driver of that, based on how much R&D is being done in silicon valley by other players already.

tinfoilhatman

You're such a troll. You have no actual response but a troll response. I live and work in the real world and I'm able to carry about a 3DS and game on it. What does that have to do with anything again? It doesn't. You're just trolling and that's fine. Enjoy living under your bridge.

Get on any bus\train\plane anywhere in the country and do a count of iOS devices versus dedicated gaming devices, to NORMAL people not a forum full of "hard core" gamers which equal out to about .002% of society your argument sound totally bonkers.

Wiktor

Get on any bus\train\plane anywhere in the country and do a count of iOS devices versus dedicated gaming devices, to NORMAL people not a forum full of "hard core" gamers which equal out to about .002% of society your argument sound totally bonkers.

the ammount of people who would care about iOS ports of Nintendo games is most likely a lot lower than that .002% of society and most iOS users do not care about games on their devices all that much anyway, angry birds, cut the rope...whatever's popular currently is enough for them. The ammoun that actually regularly follows what's being released on the devices is propably extremely small minority.

RedSwirl

So analysts are suggesting:

- Nintendo makes games on iOS, sells them for cheap
- People runs and buys Nintendo games on their iPhone iPad and iPod, loses interest in 3DS/Wii
- Nintendo's games on their own hardware starts selling less and less because customers can get games on iOS cheaper
- Nintendo hardware sells less, this 3rd party stops making games on Nintendo hardware, which leads to loss in 3rd party royalty for Nintendo
- Nintendo hardware becomes inviable business for them. Nintendo goes 3rd party!

Makes a lot of business sense to me.

Nintendo should just troll anaylsts by making a full blown Mario game on iOS and start selling it for $29.99 and see it flop.

I think a big part of the problem is that a lot of these analysts and other people of this opinion don't see the difference in value and content between your average iOS game and your average traditional game. I wonder if a lot of them even play games at all. Even then, they're analysts, they should at least be looking at the goddamn numbers.

My brother got converted over to this opinion when he bough Soul Calibur on his iPad and it played just as it did on the Dreamcast. After that he seriously asked me why they wouldn't just sell Modern Warfare 3 on iOS. I had to remind him that Soul Calibur originally came out 13 years ago.

tinfoilhatman

Welcome to Japan.

Yep I understand that Japanese public still do allot of traditional portable gaming but their what 15% MAYBE 20% of the overall market, probably more like 5-10%?

Also last I heard iOS gaming was picking up steam in Japan pretty quickly , not that I really care I'd rather shoot myself that play most Japanese type games

jman2050

Yep I understand that Japanese public still do allot of traditional portable gaming but their what 15% MAYBE 20% of the overall market, probably more like 5-10%?

Also last I heard iOS gaming was picking up steam in Japan pretty quickly , not that I really care I'd rather shoot myself that play most Japanese type games

Mobile gaming has been a staple in Japan for a long while now. If anything, it's the west that's late to the party.

Odrion

Banned

But they're not a good audience to go after. Look at the Wii, or how only a handful of companies are making good money on games.

tinfoilhatman

the ammount of people who would care about iOS ports of Nintendo games is most likely a lot lower than that .002% of society and most iOS users do not care about games on their devices all that much anyway, angry birds, cut the rope...whatever's popular currently is enough for them. The ammoun that actually regularly follows what's being released on the devices is propably extremely small minority.

"he ammoun that actually regularly follows what's being released on the devices is propably extremely small minority"

Relative to what?

Also one thing I think your missing is most iOS gamers have ZERO interest in having AAA type games on their devices like you said cut the rope, angry birds shit like that is probably what most of these people want yet larger AAA "like" games seem to do just fine(realtive to the rest of the gaming market)

Well, the money that Nintendo get from their games is quite big. He receive the developer and producer part of the games and also they sell hardware because of their games.

Nintendo sell hundreds of thousand of games, at 40$, each month, even in the slowest months. Usually from games that has been published months or years ago, and that they're still at full price.

The amount of games that they should move in iOS, to make worthy to lose the exclusivity of the games on their systems it should be VERY huge.

Angry Birds is the game that gets thrown around the most for high sales. Here are a bunch of other games that have done pretty well on the service...

Jetpack Joyride
Flight Control
MotoXMayhem
Draw Something
Sword and Sworcery
Game Dev Story
Run Roo Run
Scribblenauts
Tiny Wings
Mega Jump
Doodle Jump
Plants vs. Zombies
Anomoly War Zone
FieldRunners
ShadowGun
Wheres My Water?
Infinity Blade
Real Racing 2
Death Rally
iShoot
N.O.V.A
Tetris
Bejeweled
Cut the Rope
Fruit Ninja

I'm only pulling from a small segment of games released on the platform that I'm aware of as well. To be number 1 on the charts on the iPhone, 3 years ago you had to sell about 22k copies a day. I don't doubt that the number 1 position is over 100k now. Yeah, Nintendo probably cannot sustain itself at their budgets selling games at $1 but lots of smaller developers have been able to do so.

stuminus3

The real question is how many of those 200 million iOS device owners would buy a full-fledged Super Mario game. I'd be willing to bet that it'd probably be roughly the same as would buy it on a Nintendo system. If it was considerably more, it would probably be because the game was priced by iOS standards, in which case "lol". If the games were priced at 3DS prices... well, "lol" again. Hey, if Nintendo can release a Mario game to Super Mario 3D Land standards at 0.99 and make even close to as much money as they can right now, well, all power to them. Well, other than the fact it's literally impossible to replicate a Super Mario 3D Land standard experience on an iOS device.

tinfoilhatman

The real question is how many of those 200 million iOS device owners would buy a full-fledged Super Mario game. I'd be willing to bet that it'd probably be roughly the same as would buy it on a Nintendo system. If it was considerably more, it would probably be because the game was priced by iOS standards, in which case "lol". If the games were priced at 3DS prices... well, "lol" again. Hey, if Nintendo can release a Mario game to Super Mario 3D Land standards at 0.99 and make even close to as much money as they can right now, well, all power to them. Well, other than the fact it's literally impossible to replicate a Super Mario 3D Land standard experience on an iOS device.

The game is already made, I think were talking about ports of existing old games which they've already made their money back on many times over.

In regards to Nintendo putting games on a smartphone or tablet, I'm not sure how I'd feel about it. I mean, I'm all for supporting gaming on a smartphone/tablet but it just doesn't "seem right" to have a Nintendo game on a non-Nintendo system. As silly as it may sound it seems sacrilegious, lol. And I'm not even much of a fan of Nintendo anymore.

Though from a business perspective it makes a lot of sense as I can see their games selling incredibly well on iOS, as an example.

It will probably never happen so there's really no point in discussing it but it's just weird to think about.

moggio

Banned
To answer the question with a completely irrelevant example, Gunman Clive has made close to 10 000$ in it's first three weeks of sales on iphone. I bet Nintendo is really jealous of that kind of money; still decent enough for me though

Isn't that just a rip-off of Lucky Luke on the GBC?

RedSwirl

The game is already made, I think were talking about ports of existing old games which they've already made their money back on many times over.

In that case, how much extra money do those re-releases actually make? Enough to be worth devaluing a 1st party brand on its original hardware?

salpa

Banned
I like how you're ignoring this post just to have another pissing match. Not that anyone should have expected better.

Edit: it even seems like that's total LTD revenue (up to Summer 2011) for the App Store, not just for 2011 as it is for Nintendo?

Not sure if anyone else replied to this, but you are correct, it is LTD:

The company re-iterated that it has paid developers over $2.5 billion cumulatively since the App Store’s inception. This is after Apple’s standard 30 percent cut, meaning total App Store revenue before the break-down is almost $3.6 billion in aggregate.

"In aggregate" == in summation, in total.

Nintendo made more revenue this year than the app store has made it's entire life.

Top Bottom