• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How old is your current car?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Like the thread title says, how old is your current car and how long do you tend to keep your cars?

I currently drive an 11 year old 2010 Toyota Camry and I’ve owned it for 6 years. The mileage is fairly low still (125k), but the creaky plasticey interior has plenty of creaks and rattles and sometimes I think about upgrading to something newer and more luxurious. I barely drive it these days due to the pandemic though.

Before this car I had a 1994 Toyota Camry and it was 20 years old when it finally kicked the bucket (engine died). Never had a single rattle and had like 241k miles. It did have other issues though, like one of the rear doors wouldn’t open and one of the windows would no longer go down.

belmarduk

It’s a 2017 Toyota Yaris. It’s a decent car but I’d rather have an Aygo (hard to get because they were never released in the US)

DESTROYA

2003 Infinity G35 and love it , less than 90000 miles and runs great.
Don’t plan on upgrading since it runs and looks almost new .

96 jeep cherokee sport for the weekend when I wanna get another noise ordinance ticket, a mile or so out in the distance, and a new honda accord for the weekdays. Prefer the Jeep all day everyday, but only get ~12mpg. I'm hauling like 2000 pounds of audio and birch wood at any given time.

Patrick S.

Banned
I don't earn a lot of money and I am the only bread winner in my house because my latina wife is too busy watching telenovelas and getting fat to be improving her German language skills or look for a job.

I have a 2007 Skoda Octavia Combi 1.8 TSI I bought in 2017 with 140k km that has 208k km now.

And I have a 2001 Opel Astra Coupé 2.2 with 140k km that I bought as a summer car with the idea of maybe putting a supecharger on it, but other than fixing some accident damage on and respraying one of the side panels and respraying the trunk lid that was a bit rusty in some spots I haven't messed with it yet. Dunno if I'll go through the hassle of getting the car the inspection it needs to be able to get tags for it or if I'll just sell it.

Kenpachii

7 years i think, i never drive it. only time i drive it is to the garage to get a new battery and derust the brakes once a year rofl.

Last edited:

Lupingosei

Banned
5-year-old Toyota Aygo, I love it it is soo much fun. Happy little car and people also like it, I got so many compliments over the years for it.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
96 jeep cherokee sport for the weekend when I wanna get another noise ordinance ticket, a mile or so out in the distance, and a new honda accord for the weekdays. Prefer the Jeep all day everyday, but only get ~12mpg. I'm hauling like 2000 pounds of audio and birch wood at any given time.

That's a dope car

That's a dope car
Got her on 15k watts w/ 2 18's, doing hairtricks out the wazoo.

qJzfeCM.jpg
FyOLpSd.jpg
m05DyBJ.jpg

Last edited:

Durask

Daily drive 2017
Weekend car 2015

Always have an urge to buy a Tesla but I really like my daily drive so getting rid of any of my cars is not an option and 3 cars would be kinda crazy.

Last edited:

Glip_Glop

2018 Mustang GT. Bought it new 2 years ago and it has 14,780 miles. Just got the oil changed on Sat, thats why I know the mileage lol.

*EDIT* Since others are posting their “weekend” car, 2015 Jeep Wrangler. Bought it in November 2018. I use it when I’m fishing or when the weather is shitty. The Mustang has 448 HP to its wheels, even with the nannies on, it doesn’t play well in any kind of rain down here in FL.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
2011 mini cooper clubman Hampton edition. Bought it new in 2010. Don’t have many miles on it (still under 60k) so in no rush to get rid of it. With most cares being replaced by suvs in the us not much out there I like as well. So nice not to have a car payment that’s for sure.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
I probably got the oldest car here. 2007. Don’t give a shit about cars but I’m due for a new one in the summer. I’d probably hold onto this as long as I could if it was just me.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
few months old mazda cx30, traded in a 5 year old mini cooper s that was far too expensive to maintain.

lachesis

2017 Toyota Prius Prime. Saved me a lot of money on George Washington Bridge toll over past 3 years.
It's boring as hell, but I think I will drive it as long as I find other alternative to drive into NYC every day from where I live.

I've been dreaming about learning to drive stick shift and get a MX5 for fun.
But with demanding work and single father hood, I haven't really gotten a chance nor excess money like that. Saving for any rainy days, retirement and to have enough when my daughter needs any financial help in her future have been my utmost priority post divorce.

Isuzu MUX 2015, Been using this car for five years now. runs smoorh and a bit wider, pretty good for roadtrips as well.

Ra\/en

2012 Honda civic. It has been cheap and reliable so far but the road noise (i do a lot of highway driving) is rather obnoxious. I am often tempted to get something else, but I save so much money by driving it.

paparazzo

Also in the '06 Corolla club. Runs like a tank for the most part, but I'm getting tired of fiddling with my BT adapter all the time and the A/C seems to have some sort of issue, so I kinda want to upgrade; just not sure if now's the time.

Anki

Banned
You guys have daily and weekend cars?
Anyway I have 2008 Opel Astra, bought it used 3 years ago, runs like a champ.

xrnzaaas

2009 Fiat Bravo, no serious issues with the car so far.
My partner drives a VW Polo that's several years older and she already had a few massive jobs including an engine replacement. She's probably going to switch to something reliable soon, maybe a Toyota Yaris.

Twenty years old. Don't care to upgrade, but my wife certainly wants to.
I mean if the car is working well there's absolutely no reason other than safety concerns. Modern cars are much less reliable and they're not built to easily last 10+ years.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
just got a new (used) vauxhall corsa on Wednesday. it's from early 2016 and had 27,000 miles on it.

2016-Vauxhall-Corsa-VXR-001-1080.jpg

my previous car was 15 years old and had ~70,000 miles on it. got it when it was 3 years old with 24,000 miles. so have only done 46,000 miles over the last 12 years. only really use it for getting about the city (work, shopping, visiting family). i obviously never used it for going far. if i was going to another city i just got a train.

so far what i'm enjoying most about my new car is being able to listen to something other than the radio! my 12v plug was broken so couldn't even put a bluetooth gadget in. my phone automatically connects to the built in bluetooth so i've been listening to spotify all the time! also my old car only had 1 working speaker lol. it has Apple Carplay so using navigation (even if it's Apple Maps) is much easier.

it feels so good to drive without all the noise my old car made. this one hardly makes a noise at all. i hated driving the old car and would happily walk instead of using it if i could. i want to drive my new car everywhere but so far only have got to use it to go to work/shops. i can't wait for lockdown to end cause i'll be driving everywhere! before covid i wanted to go driving through the countryside and visit some places but didn't have any faith in the car and expected it to break down at any second lol.

Last edited:

Paasei

Lancia Ypsilon from 2016. I have it for 1,5 years now. Used to be a car you'd get while your own was being worked on in the garage.
Ended up asking how much he wanted for it if I traded my old car in. It had 8k Km on it, as it was only used for this purpose.

Last edited:

Amory

I have a 2011 BMW 3 series

The car feels pretty old nowadays, for sure. There's no LCD display for any of the controls, no bluetooth audio (though weirdly you can do bluetooth phone calls, so idk why music doesn't work), no modern conveniences like radar adaptive cruise control...etc.

But it still drives fine and I paid it off many years ago, so I don't have much interest in a new one.

BigBooper

2016. My previous daily car was a 1994 I had since 2000, which I sold last year. I tend to hold onto them for a while.

TylerD

2006 BMW 330ci with the ZHP performance package and a 6spd manual with ~ 123K miles. Had it since September 2012 and still love it. It's also been paid off for 6 years which is cool. It has Apple carplay/navigation/etc... (my large screen iphone mounted on the dash). As Tavarish would say, "I am the warranty". Pretty much every job has been documented in detail on Youtube or the internet.

I've been test driving various compact crossovers and will maybe buy something in addition to my 330 if/when I have to go back to commuting.

Top Bottom