• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"How the fuck was I supposed to know that" moments in video games

It's still not conclusively 'solvable', right? There's still no definitive way to reach the end as far as I know.[/QUOTE]
It ends,
You just have to do the ending,
Its semi complicated,
And requires patience if it doesnt work the first time,
Go through the door and try again.

eot

Banned
I'll probably get shit for this, but I had a ton of those when I tried to play (well I did finish it) A Link to the Past. Like how to unlock the bird fast travel, just wtf. I admit I wasn't paying as much attention as I perhaps should've (because I was already not that into the game at that point), but I would never have known to go dig for the flute in some super specific spot. I had a few more moments like that, in particular I missed medallion you get by throwing something in the water. When I got to the place where I needed it (turtle rock?) there was of course no indication where to get it. At that point the options are a) search both overworld maps aimlessly b) look it up.

Other M pixel hunts. The game just throws you into first-person mode and laughs at you. It stands out as probably the most undertested inclusion in any major Nintendo franchise because the solutions are exactly the sort that are obvious to the developer or someone who has played the game already, but completely opaque on the first run.

According to Ron Gilbert, the one puzzle in Monkey Island 2 where you use a monkey as a wrench confused absolutely every player who didn't speak English natively or otherwise missed the pun. It taught him an instructive lesson about constructing puzzles on puns.

Sean

Banned
1rhPwpF.jpg

the thread.

This shit was pure evil, I was stumped on it for days as a kid.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure the game tells you to look there. It was annoying that you had to have the jewel case. I haven't played this since I had a ps1 but how does the digital version work with that 'puzzle?' Internet I guess?

Simon's Quest was the one I thought of and the first reply got that. Really though there were a ton of Atari/NES era games that have this issue. Games like ET and Raider of the Lost Ark are really hard to figure out.

You can find it in the manual available from hitting the PS button

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I remember there being some parts of Dark Spire on the DS that made no goddamned sense to me and I NEEDED an FAQ for. I suck at those types of games really. I get lost super easy, but this game was totally hardcore. I loved the look of it. To this day one of my favorite art directions ever but, boy howdy, was it mind-bending!

BigFwoosh

The last section of PT. Seriously, if that one video is right about the way to get it and how it was deciphered, that's just not something I ever would have figured out on my own.

They tell you this in the game. If you call Campbell or Naomi over and over again they will explicitly tell you to look on the back of the game box. And I think if you STILL keep calling them, they will tell you the actual code itself.

... Now what to do if you were renting this game? I guess this was their attempt at anti-piracy or anti-rental. I think we all had dial up internet at the time, it would've been a pain in the ass to look this up online.

My vote would be Super Metroid. I never played that game as a kid, just as an adult. It seems like the strategy for that game is "put bombs everywhere, scan everything, shoot missiles at everything". I did not enjoy wandering around too much in that game.
Having played this game for the first time within the year the o my part that had me scratching my heading was using a super bomb to blow up that one glass tube. Everything else is pretty straightforward in that you just go to where you haven't before.

In Blaster Master, after getting the hover ability from the 3rd boss, I never knew where the fuck to go afterward. You'd think the entrance to area 4 would be somewhere in area 3, but no, instead you have to go all the way back to the start of area 1--the very beginning of the game--with a fully-powered hover gauge, and then jump up and use all your hover energy to just barely reach a hidden platform, and then jump up to several more hidden platforms above it until you find a door way above the starting point that contains the entrance to area 4.

There is not a single hint in the game that you have to do that, so the game effectively ended for me after area 3.

Uh...I guess there's no hint per se but from the very start of the game you can see a platform above you that is too high to reach. I generally consider that a hint to get up to at a later point in the game.

But I mean, I understand not thinking to go back and check when you're a kid. :)

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Yeah dude. A lot of us were kids at the time :p Also I had never played a game that referenced the real world before it.

I guess that's why games nowadays highlight relevant parts of in-game text. But to be fair the game did break the 4th wall on this and sort of did it again later on with Psychomantis.

You guys must've lost your freaking minds on the Psycho Mantis boss fight, huh?

Argonomic

In Prince of Persia 2, the original not sands of time, you had to let the end boss kill you in a certain way.

Quite a way to get stuck.

nero2082

Although it's not a full game, this thread has P.T. all over it. Like seriously, without the internet how would most people figure out that a clue is hidden in the pause menu lol!

that fucking pause menu in PT was the first thing that crossed my mind

Agraavan

In Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, in order to see the true ending, you have to complete a set of tasks that the game never tell you to. That's fine because if you are a completionist, you'll eventually do it.

But the worst offender is that after you complete this prerequisite, you have to return to the very first Extra Ops (which you have no business at this point) to find a character who was not there before in a place you don't usually go.

And the game never tell you one iota of that.

SerTapTap

Oh, isn't there a Fez puzzle we STILL don't know the "right" way to solve, that thing with the items in the menu screen? We know the solution but I'm not sure where you're supposed to find the solution, people we just trying crap.

The last section of PT. Seriously, if that one video is right about the way to get it and how it was deciphered, that's just not something I ever would have figured out on my own.

IT was deliberately obtuse but still super BS, I gave up on it after the "crash".

Zodiac Spear chest trick in FFXII.
Getting to inverted castle in SotN.

What was the trick here? I don't recall ever looking this up, doesn't it just happen pretty naturally?

taybul

World tendency events in Demon's Souls. How the friggin fuck.

A lot of this game was shrouded in mystery early on but I really liked that. I liked returning to an area I already beat and seeing a red phantom and getting my ass handed to me.
You guys must've lost your freaking minds on the Psycho Mantis boss fight, huh?

At least for the fight I think I remember the game essentially telling you exactly what you needed to do after a while.

malfcn

In Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, in order to see the true ending, you have to complete a set of tasks that the game never tell you to. That's fine because if you are a completionist, you'll eventually do it.

But the worst offender is that after you complete this prerequisite, you have to return to the very first Extra Ops (which you have no business at this point) to find a character who was not there before in a place you don't usually go.

That was a bit frustrating.

KyleCross

The forced stealth section late in Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 where you have to use your mist ability to get through. The game up to that point had only ever had you use that to pass through bars and to avoid attacks. Game gave you absolutely no hint that you suddenly needed to use it in this really random and poorly designed scenario.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

I know what you're talking about... but are you sure the game never tells you? I think if you listen to the optional tape recordings (which are like LONG) there's messages in there that tell you the requirements.

I don't think it's completely hidden, but the hints are all buried deep in optional stuff that you need to go back to that one mission.

I've mentioned this before . . . .

The train boss in Uncharted 2. You absolutely cannot kill him with guns & grenades. You have to do a QTE. I spent over an hour blowing him up with grenades and completely saturating him with bullets. But he will NEVER die. You have to do the QTE. (which is annoying on the hardest level because you have to get the timing just right)

QUOTE=Inferno313;133781945]I was literally stuck in the Fire Temple of OOT for years as a child because I didn't realize how to swing the hammer horizontally to knock the totem poles out of the way.[/QUOTE]
Totem poles? You just hit them on the right or left side. No need for horizontal front attacks.

BiggNife

From Professor Layton and the Curious Village:

067T.gif

067B.gif

fuck this shit seriously

the letters correspond to locations on the keyboard and the bites are supposed to point to which letter you're supposed to actually use. So the G becomes a T, since the bite on the chocolate is above the G and T is right above G on a QWERTY keyboard.

adj_noun

Taken from another thread but still relevant >:-( :

Welcome to Oz my nightmare

So young me is playing the Wizard of Oz graphical text adventure. And you'd think I'd know what to do, right? I mean, it's the Wizard of Oz and you're Dorothy. You'd think I'd know how to follow the plot.

And I did. For the most part.

Wizard_of_Oz_Apple_screenshot.png

Pictured: You are standing in an crashed house east of a wicked witch, with a crooked front door. There is a small dog here

Until I got to the gates of the Emerald City.

Bastard guards wouldn't let me in. No matter what I did, they would NOT let me in. I screamed. I begged. I pleaded. I swore as colorfully as young lil' me could. They didn't recognize any of my commands. My companions were no help. Finally, after days of trying to figure out how to enter the forbidden city, I gave up.

Something like two years later I had a dream about that dopey game for dopes. I woke up with an idea: I should ask Boq, the munckin that meets you when your house lands in Oz, about how to get in.

THAT WAS WHAT YOU HAD TO DO.

Wouldn't you know it, if you mention Boq's dumb name you can get into the stupid goddamn Emerald City of lies and tears.

Two years. My brain had been running a subconscious subroutine on that "puzzle" for TWO YEARS before I was finally able to figure it out. That Munchkin at the beginning of the game had been holding out on me and I've been salty ever since.

Screw you, Boq. I won in the end.

6fA5r7Q.jpg

blakep267

dark souls. After I got out of the prison, and got to fire link shrine, I kept going downstairs and running into these skeletons that kept respawning after I killed them. I wasn't really feeling the game anyway so I deleted it. I was watching a walkthrough a few months later and apparently I was supposed to walk around a ledge and go the opposite way to continue on.

How the fuck was I supposed to know that

Also the way to kill the skeletons required a special weapon that I couldn't get until later on.

How the fuck was I supposed to know that

Im not asking for hand holding, but at least give me some indication of whats going on

Jarnet87

A lot of MMO stuff, even in the most accessible ones like WoW. But then, the social nature of the game means that you're meant to discover more esoteric or obtuse things by virtue of socializing and communicating. Then, the 1 person who discovers it spreads the word and chats about it, etc.

(I'm not counting the resources practically every WoW player uses to find things out, like WoWhead, or back in the day, thottbot, because those are effectively outside the game, just like any online resource or guide for other games)

Dat Star Wars Galaxies Jedi.

vypek

Wait...was that was actually solved with 100% accuracy?

Top Bottom