• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to Earn an Entire Season worth of Characters in Street Fighter V

In Conclusion:

If you don't want to do any of this stuff, that's fine. That's completely fine. I'm not here to tell you how to spend your time, the aim of this thread is to dispel the notion that if you happen to buy SFV without the season passes, you're completely screwed out of earning FM without online play.

The real problem has always been that most FM in the game is an extremely limited resource, and none of what you've posted negates that. Sure, SF5 is generous if all you want to unlock is a few DLC characters. But maybe like a lot of us you want some more stages or costumes. The default game is really light on both of those categories, so luckily (?) there's plenty in the shop!

Stages:
3 that shipped in the game but are locked, 40K each
7 extra releases, 70K
2 seasonal stages, also 40k?

Story Costumes (these shipped with the game day one): 40K each
This starts at 'only' 16 characters, but with each new character that count grows and it will eat up some of the new FM that character can earn you. (Can I point out how strange it is to have a non-2D fighter with no included-free-with-purchase secondary outfits? Namco, Sega, and Tecmo have been including tons of additional costumes for their fighting games for literally decades now.)

And obviously there's tons of extra colors, titles, etc. We'll ignore them for this comparison, but a lot of players are going to want those rare colors!

So you're looking at 1,330,000 Fight Money for all of this, with only some of the stages being actual new, post-release content. Let's be gentle and say you only want around half of this content. That's simply not possible with the ~500,000 your approach gives us, and obviously you're not going to be able to afford a single additional character on top of that. Just the story costumes alone -- which were in the game the moment it launched, and cannot be bought with anything but Fight Money -- are going to cost you 640,000 FM.

Again, if all you want to unlock in SF5 is a few DLC characters then yes, Fight Money is great. But I'd wager the vast majority of fighting game players are interested in some of that other content, and it's hard enough to grab that even without considering DLC characters. That's why we complain, and our criticisms are entirely justified.

(Another obnoxious factor: if you buy a character with Fight Money then you won't get any of that back if you decide to buy the Season Pass down the road. A lot of games do this with DLC, not just SF5, but it's still unnecessary and consumer unfriendly. I'd personally love to pick up Kolin with FM and then maybe grab the pass when the whole thing is actually released, but that would only be depleting an extremely finite source. Giving an automatic refund would encourage me to engage more with the game, which probably gives Capcom more potential revenue sources.)

How much of that was actually fun to play though?

Looks like a busy list you have to take care of from how I read it.

But it's cool for people who don't want to pay to have the option not to.
This really gets to the heart of the matter. If the genuinely fun content in SF5 gave reasonable amounts of Fight Money then nobody would be complaining. But actually fighting against other players is an incredibly slow grind. Hell, fighting against friends gives you basically nothing! Try to have fun playing SF5 and Capcom punishes you with minuscule Fight Money earnings. This isn't how practically any F2P (!) game functions. If I play with friends in Heroes of the Storm, Awesomenauts, League of Legends, Smite, whatever, I get their Fight Money equivalent and can buy more content doing so.

FSLink

Banned
This really gets to the heart of the matter. If the genuinely fun content in SF5 gave reasonable amounts of Fight Money then nobody would be complaining. But actually fighting against other players is an incredibly slow grind. Hell, fighting against friends gives you basically nothing! Try to have fun playing SF5 and Capcom punishes you with minuscule Fight Money earnings.
Your post is great. To add onto the bolded, the loading times and netcode also makes this more of a chore than it should be.

Raitaro

I don't think the OP mentioned this but this year Capcom has been giving away free FM fairly often if you watch certain CPT events through their Capcom Pro Tour or ELEAGUE pages. Of course, this is PS4 only but if you're not a PC player that's like an extra 15k or so per event. Plus, they recently gave a 50k bonus for just logging in.

That's right, I keep forgetting about this. Could you perhaps explain in a little bit more detail how this works? Do I just load up the CPT or Eleague page on the PS4's browser or do I need to log in somewhere with my SFV / CPT account?

gelf

This is a great summary.
Everytime I read somewhere "do the trials" I immediately turn arround.

I wouldn't say I'm bad at SF5 but I'm not really good either and I haven't managed to clear trials for even one character.
Same my mind glazes over when someone says "just do the trials". The vast majority of them are very difficult for me and frankly I don't enjoy doing them to the point that I find it stressful.

Anyway it's a nice guide. I don't think the fight money is really close to being the biggest issue with the game though I do wish the stages were cheaper as unlike the characters there are no ways to earn some money back when you buys those.

do we know if there will be season 2 (or 3) story mode later on?

tenor.gif
Seriously, the one we got was barely decent and received as such. I doubt we will see them try this again. An arcade mode or reworked survival would be less work.

But good breakdown OP. Sadly this method, like others mention leaves very little room for the story costumes, extra colors, stages, or titles. If your JUST after characters then sure I guess. Also them planning to add extra challenges for FM behind the capcom cup season pass irks the hell out of me. Blah blah blah it supports the scene, but its also two ugly costumes, an awesome stage, and some colors for a very high price. Everything about this game's dlc options are expensive but the game itself has not improved in the minor aspects that matter for me.

Though I do enjoy it when I take a minute to fire it up.

So what do you want? DLC for free?

If a meager amount of time is worth more to you than your money you can just buy the DLC. If you a few minutes a week logging in to play the game is doable then the DLC can be earned for free. If you don't want to do either than you can just wait until the season passes are on sale (and they do go on sale) and get them on the cheap.

If that doesn't satisfy you than I don't know what will aside from Capcom just making everything free which isn't going to happen.

If you read my original post, I stated I wasn't complaining. It's an observation, I even said capcom has to make money, too. This is the problem with GAF these days, people don't read...

That's right, I keep forgetting about this. Could you perhaps explain in a little bit more detail how this works? Do I just load up the CPT or Eleague page on the PS4's browser or do I need to log in somewhere with my SFV / CPT account?

I could be misremembering but here's what I think it was.

It was a site like "live.eleague.com" or something. You opened it on any browser of your choice, and log in with your PSN (which I believe had to be linked to your twitcH). You then watched the twitch stream. The site then automatically gave you FM as watched the thing.

That's what I did for the Capcpom Cup anyway.

It's almost nine hours spread out over fifty two intervals doing boring busy work. People have things to do, that doesn't include logging onto SFV every week to do some mindless random chore every week to get enough FM for 3 measly DLC characters. YES, THIS IS f2p MMO level of shitty grind

What does this even mean?

I don't really see how it's different to older fighting games/games with unlockable content of this variety in general. Like Tekken 3 with it's finish the game 9 times to unlock everyone etc. or TimeSplitters with it's finish all difficulties, and get the highest rank in each challenge to unlock everything.

I think they're saying, if you don't have time to turn the game on for ten minutes every week to get the weekly rewards, you're probably not playing the game much anyway.

Sheroking

The real problem has always been that most FM in the game is an extremely limited resource, and none of what you've posted negates that. Sure, SF5 is generous if all you want to unlock is a few DLC characters. But maybe like a lot of us you want some more stages or costumes. The default game is really light on both of those categories, so luckily (?) there's plenty in the shop!

Stages:
3 that shipped in the game but are locked, 40K each
7 extra releases, 70K
2 seasonal stages, also 40k?

Story Costumes (these shipped with the game day one): 40K each
This starts at 'only' 16 characters, but with each new character that count grows and it will eat up some of the new FM that character can earn you. (Can I point out how strange it is to have a non-2D fighter with no included-free-with-purchase secondary outfits? Namco, Sega, and Tecmo have been including tons of additional costumes for their fighting games for literally decades now.)

And obviously there's tons of extra colors, titles, etc. We'll ignore them for this comparison, but a lot of players are going to want those rare colors!

So you're looking at 1,330,000 Fight Money for all of this, with only some of the stages being actual new, post-release content. Let's be gentle and say you only want around half of this content. That's simply not possible with the ~500,000 your approach gives us, and obviously you're not going to be able to afford a single additional character on top of that. Just the story costumes alone -- which were in the game the moment it launched, and cannot be bought with anything but Fight Money -- are going to cost you 640,000 FM.

Again, if all you want to unlock in SF5 is a few DLC characters then yes, Fight Money is great. But I'd wager the vast majority of fighting game players are interested in some of that other content, and it's hard enough to grab that even without considering DLC characters. That's why we complain, and our criticisms are entirely justified.

(Another obnoxious factor: if you buy a character with Fight Money then you won't get any of that back if you decide to buy the Season Pass down the road. A lot of games do this with DLC, not just SF5, but it's still unnecessary and consumer unfriendly. I'd personally love to pick up Kolin with FM and then maybe grab the pass when the whole thing is actually released, but that would only be depleting an extremely finite source. Giving an automatic refund would encourage me to engage more with the game, which probably gives Capcom more potential revenue sources.)

This really gets to the heart of the matter. If the genuinely fun content in SF5 gave reasonable amounts of Fight Money then nobody would be complaining. But actually fighting against other players is an incredibly slow grind. Hell, fighting against friends gives you basically nothing! Try to have fun playing SF5 and Capcom punishes you with minuscule Fight Money earnings. This isn't how practically any F2P (!) game functions. If I play with friends in Heroes of the Storm, Awesomenauts, League of Legends, Smite, whatever, I get their Fight Money equivalent and can buy more content doing so.

My whole issue with your line of thought is other games don't offer the FM solution at all. You're just being asked to spend the money on title updates or individual characters with no other way of unlocking them.

Regardless of how you look at this, SFV is one of the cheapest fighting games to keep updated with the meaningful DLC.

If you're going to criticize anything, how about Guilty Gear Xrd? Buy the game, buy the games half-baked successor a year later, buy the games DLC update a year after that. $100+ dollars to stay up to date with Guilty Gear in the same general timeframe that SFV has been available.

Raitaro

This is indeed a thing that bothers me too as I decided against buying the season 2 pass initially but would now buy it if not for the fact that I already spent my FM on the characters released so far. Guess it's in their benefit not to refund FM for this as that lowers the chance a player like me would fork over cash to be able to buy the new stages I'm still missing as well.

Same my mind glazes over when someone says "just do the trials". The vast majority of them are very difficult for me and frankly I don't enjoy doing them to the point that I find it stressful.

Same here. They are near impossible for me and it kinda frustrates me that there is so much uncollected FM waiting for me...

I could be misremembering but here's what I think it was.

It was a site like "live.eleague.com" or something. You opened it on any browser of your choice, and log in with your PSN (which I believe had to be linked to your twitcH). You then watched the twitch stream. The site then automatically gave you FM as watched the thing.

That's what I did for the Capcpom Cup anyway.

I see. Thanks for answering. I don't have a twitch account so that would be the first step I guess.

Garlador

Survival on easy only takes like 5-10 minutes.
It's not hard, just dull. You can only play Survival for so long...

To bring up a competitor, Injustice's worlds throw in modifiers to keep things interesting. Altering speed, or granting buffs, or avoiding obstacles, and that variety can make a basic mode fresh and exiting. Variety is the spice of life.

I'd rather play hard but interesting and varied modes instead of easy and banal ones. And I played Survival. For HOURS. I grew so tired of it. It's just not a very interesting or fun mode for me.

Fraeon

If you consider the SP content tedious now (and I agree that it is), I don't think an arcade mode would help much there. You'd essentially get easy survival mode with some numbers reconfigured and the powerup system removed.

But then again I thought most of the SP content in IJ2 was tedium as well and I couldn't even bother with having the AI grind boxes for me.

Arkeband

Banned
You also get 1000 FM for every level up with each character. There's more free FM available right there.

Personally I just use the fight money for colors, stages and story costumes.

I just buy the season passes out of convenience.

"That's more free FM"

I dunno what the bar for "free FM" is when that's literally the vanilla way to grind FM.

Garlador

Why is arcade not?
Because it typical only lasts 8 matches or so, so you can swap characters more frequently, the difficulty curve is better and you don't have to pound on moronic AI for 20 or 30 rounds just to get to the point where you got the right challenge, you typically get a nice boss fight at the end to test you, they're great for smaller doses of time and let you pick up where you left off should you lose, etc.

C'mon. Arcade Mode has been the standard mode for a reason. It's the most accessible and flexible mode in a fighting game.

Why is arcade not?

To me, it's because the AI is stupid on survival. You can beat easy by spamming one move, and it's basically impossible to lose, and normal is the same as easy , before a huge difficulty spike at the end. Then you combine that with the amount of opponents and no retry, and you get something that's not fun for casual (or any really) players.

7-10 2 round fights with increasing difficulty and the option to retry is the ideal format.

Sheroking

Hi. I'm Nick. I almost exclusively play traditional Arcade modes, and have for nearly 20 years since the Arcade days. That's my bread and butter fight mode.

Hi Nick. If you're really buying fighting games to play dull-ass Arcade modes for years on end, I have no idea what to say to you.

That is the dullest sounding thing I've ever heard.

Platy

Survival normal is not that simple =P

Hell,as a casual fighting game fan, I even found some characters easy survival hard because I don't know how to do basic stuff with them

Rymuth

Is it? I mean it's been over a year and there's still no arcade mode. The game is still lacking single player content. I disliked the modes that are there which is why I dropped the game. The characters and stages were never the issue.

It's one of the biggest points, yes, see the posts I quoted and thread it came from. I do believe Arcade Mode is coming and even when it does, people will fall back on 'You can't unlock the characters, it's impossible!!' when it drops.

It's almost nine hours spread out over fifty two intervals doing boring busy work. People have things to do,

Same shit has been said about Destiny. Lot of weeklies and lot of dailies in order to access the real meat of the game (The raid)

My question is to you is this, if you're the type of person who can't even spare five minutes a day to do a simple challenge then I doubt you really wanted to play this game in the first.

Yeah this is how I've been getting my FM. Bought most of S1 and 2 characters just doing this.

Only problem for me is Survival mode Normal. I suck at fighting games so the difficulty gets kicked up from like a 5/10 to a 15/10 during those last five fights in the mode. But beyond that it's surprisingly easy to get a ton of fight money. I'm looking forward to that rumored second story season just for this tbh.

FSLink

Banned
Hi Nick. If you're really buying fighting games to play dull-ass Arcade modes for years on end, I have no idea what to say to you.

As a hardcore competitive fighting game fan and player, I love arcade modes. It's a no pressure and short single player experience that I can use to just beat up on moving enemies rather than training mode (which yeah you can turn on the AI but it's more fun with an end goal)

Survival in this game wouldn't be as bad if the difficulty curve was better. I'm good at fighting games but the difficulty seriously feels like 40 rounds of extremely easy difficulty where I can just mash HP or HK, then 10 rounds of the AI reading your every input. And to make matters worse, you waste so much time getting to the actual challenge and you lose due to unfortunate RNG and not being able to heal. And on top of that you can't even spend points to continue at all.

Garlador

How old are you? I ask sincerely. I grew up in arcades. I sunk hundreds of quarters into Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat climbing the arcade ladders, then spent hundreds of hours with the console ports doing it again.

Just yesterday I played through Arcade modes in Injustice. Last week I pulled out Soul Calibur II and cleared a few Arcade runs with Link and Taki.

How I play fighting games isn't shockingly weird; it's how a large portion of players do it.

I discovered too late that you get rewarded for looking at demonstrations. However I will say that doing Survivor on Normal is still torture regardless of points.

I think the missions they release every week is the best way to earn. After a few months of playing casually every odd week I can afford a new character.

I wonder who should be my next character Abigail or Ed? I already have Kolin and Akuma and have no care for Guile as I prefer Charlie.

gelf

It's not hard, just dull. You can only play Survival for so long...

To bring up a competitor, Injustice's worlds throw in modifiers to keep things interesting. Altering speed, or granting buffs, or avoiding obstacles, and that variety can make a basic mode fresh and exiting. Variety is the spice of life.

I'd rather play hard but interesting and varied modes instead of easy and banal ones. And I played Survival. For HOURS. I grew so tired of it. It's just not a very interesting or fun mode for me.
I've not played Injustice but I will say I was more than happy playing the similar sounding MKX towers to earn Koins. It was a lot more enjoyable then survival mode is in SFV.

I can't stand those first 20 or so fights. It's mind numbing, and then when the difficulty ramps up and I end up losing I have to suffer those early fights again. I quite enjoy fighting challenging AI but in modes that actually have a continue option when I fail.

Karsha

I said it before and I repeat it, no new character should be paid DLC in a fighting game, it kills the balance and the matchup knowledge. Make the stages,music, skins whatever you want as a paid dlc but keep the characters and balance patches for free. Use the in game currency for colors or art gallery like Kof and Tekken 7 do .

The way capcom is treating this game is pretty scandalous tbh, 60$ for the initial game with 16 characters and more money for every costume/ character / stage they release. Its like the worst f2p game except that you have to pay a lot for the initial game too.

I said it before and I repeat it, no new character should be paid DLC in a fighting game, it kills the balance and the matchup knowledge. Make the stages,music, skins whatever you want as a paid dlc but keep the characters and balance patches for free. Use the in game currency for colors or art gallery like Kof and Tekken 7 do .

The way capcom is treating this game is pretty scandalous tbh, 60$ for the initial game with 16 characters and more money for every costume/ character / stage they release. Its like the worst f2p game except that you have to pay a lot for the initial game too.

wut

Fraeon

I said it before and I repeat it, no new character should be paid DLC in a fighting game, it kills the balance and the matchup knowledge. Make the stages,music, skins whatever you want as a paid dlc but keep the characters and balance patches for free. Use the in game currency for colors or art gallery like Kof and Tekken 7 do

But KOFXIV got paid DLC characters and Tekken 7 has them in the form of Eliza (if you didn't preorder) and Geese.

And seriously, I'd rather get my balance patches free and then have to pay for characters as opposed to the previous model where I couldn't even try the changes out unless I bought another game for €30-€60.

And really, if you consider the game boring busywork now, no mode is going to change that for you unless it's like Tekken Bowl where you're essentially paying for another game.

Rymuth

The deluxe edition went on sale as low as $40. That's forty dollars for 28 characters with enough FM to buy the next 6.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
With 2.0 they gave Survival a new image in the main menu with Alex and Juri and I thought awesome, maybe they mixed it up a bit! Like, include DLC characters and stages, alternate outfits, maybe even mix up the order of opponents. You know, simple stuff.

Nope, still same old mind-numbing Survival.
At least on Normal, don't know about the other modes.

AEREC

Im only purchasing the season passes with real money but for stages I want to purchase using fight money.

Right now my problem is knowing which characters Ive beaten survival with since that data isnt saved in the PS Plus cloud and all singleplayer content was reset when I upgraded to a PS4 Pro.

Is there any way to tell who Ive already completed survival\story\etc... with?

Feeroper

I find it difficult to believe the level of boring arcade mode that exists in past Street Fighter games is the difference between playing the game and dropping it.

At this point, you're either playing online, have invested friends for offline/attend an offline scene or you're not going to keep playing.

This is 100% the reason I have dropped the game. It may be "boring" as I assume you are into the online competitive scene, but there are a ton of people that aren't. Survival mode is not the same thing at all, its awful, the story mode is junk - I just wanted what every fighting game has - a standard arcade mode. Every time I see a new SFV thread start here with whatever news about the game, I always check to see if the Arcade mode is part of that.

Given the massive demand for it I figured it was a no-brainer to create and implement an arcade mode, but they have stubbornly stuck to their guns.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
With Abigail, there are currently ten DLC characters. Using your method you can only buy little more than half of the DLC characters. Even if you do all the weekly's, at 6500 thats 52 x 6500 = 338000 FM. A whopping 3 DLC characters for a years work. This is free to play MMO level of shitty grind.

If you did all the above from launch you should have enough FM to get all ten characters. However, in a year and a half you will have an additional ten DLC characters, and in another year and a half ten more. Since there is no more general story mode, limited trials, demo, etc... You will lag behind and not be able to get all the DLC characters free. Also, It leaves no FM to get titles, costumes, stages etc... I'm not complaining, its just an observation. Obviously, Capcom has to make money too.

If you come to the game late you can get the base game and at least one character pass for way less than 60 dollars. They often sell the deluxe package with both character passes for less than 60 dollars. If I were an SFV holdout, that's a deal I would jump on. 28 characters to earn FM with means you're all set for the next 2 seasons of characters or as many stages as you want.

On the general topic, I might include a disclaimer that normal survival is time consuming and suddenly difficult at the end, which will be a problem for new players or those using an unfamiliar character. OP should include tips about exploiting the AI, e.g., they are extremely susceptible to crossup jump in combos.

Feeroper

How old are you? I ask sincerely. I grew up in arcades. I sunk hundreds of quarters into Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat climbing the arcade ladders, then spent hundreds of hours with the console ports doing it again.

Just yesterday I played through Arcade modes in Injustice. Last week I pulled out Soul Calibur II and cleared a few Arcade runs with Link and Taki.

How I play fighting games isn't shockingly weird; it's how a large portion of players do it.

This is exactly it! This is how I play fighting games too - I also grew up in the arcades when SF2 & MK took them by storm.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Survival normal is not that simple =P

Hell,as a casual fighting game fan, I even found some characters easy survival hard because I don't know how to do basic stuff with them
The CPU basically cant block on easy so it really shouldn't be an issue no matter what character you use. You could win the whole thing with jump hk -> crouch hk.

The way Capcom is treating this game with its dlc is actually better than other developers. It may be a grind after a certain point but which other fighting games offer a chance to get all their dlc characters for free? Tekken, kof, bb, gg, MK, injustice, smash, and so on do not.

Step 6: Watch the Character Demonstrations

A recent addition. Each character gets a series of demonstration videos. Watching them should net you 500 FM per character - 16 x 500 = 8000 FM

The character demonstrations give you more than just 500 FM a piece.
The pop-up says 500 FM, but I ended up earning maybe 20k FM running through all but 4 of the season 2 character demonstrations. The SFV unlockables guide says that you also earn 1k XP, which explains the difference.

Great post, though.

The CPU basically cant block on easy so it really shouldn't be an issue no matter what character you use. You could win the whole thing with jump hk -> crouch hk.

I did exactly this for a handful of characters yesterday, while watching Twitch. Jump HK, crHK, repeat.

All that grind (especially for characters) would be acceptable in a free to play game.

If you bought the game at launch, you got 16 characters. SFIV had 3 more at launch, but it wasn't a huge difference.

How is having the option to play the game to unlock characters (you can buy them if you want to) worse than?
SSFIV: £25 at launch
AE: £10.99 for DLC, and I think £20 at launch for physical
USFIV: £20 at launch

Keeping in mind that each update split the player base, too.

Again, this is ignoring the fact that 99% of players won't actually use all the characters anyway, and are just getting them for completion sake.

I agree that you can get a lot of fight money by simply playing and your guide is great.

The bollocks comment by the other Gaffer was for someone saying they got six characters in a day.

I got all six characters using Fight Money from scratch in about 11 and a half hours. Not all in one sitting, admittedly but someone earning six in one day is not that unbelievable.

That's including the first batch of Trials though, which some may struggle with. I reckon that doing all the Normal Survivals would take up the bulk of the time (as well as being the least enjoyable part). I only did five of them to earn six DLC characters and they take ~25 minutes each. If you were to do the other 11 base characters' Normal Survival as well it'd take an additional 6.5 hours or so, assuming no failures. That's the only part of earning Fight Money I felt was truly a grind (Its not so bad when you complete each character as you earn them, though).

It might be possible without touching Normal Survival at all now that Season 2 combo trials are out.

Here's an absurdly long video playlist of me working through it as evidence:

Street Fighter V: Fight Money Quest: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAefg7D_HSkCd032RhXgSzcISLOO47x2u

Fight Money in single player is very generous. They need to offer more for online play to draw players back. The challenges are a step in the right direction but it's still meagre.

Of the 1.5 million FM I've earned on my main account I reckon less that 100k is from online wins. And I've played a lot.

tzare

as many have said, seems the problem of the game is the not convincing offline game modes and the relatively slowness to play an online match (loading times plus matchmaking) that makes you get bored playing the game. Add to that the quantity of fight money you get (maybe could give you extra FM to win 2-0,ending with a EX o super move, or XX consecutive wins, things like that,
I have been playing for not very long and i already feel too automated and boring, or just long waits for online matches.
Maybe add modes with team match (like KOF), or arcade mode variations with items...., etc.... that gave you decent fight money while providing different and varied challenges would make people enjoy the game more instead of finding it dull and leaving it behind.

It would also be nice to have temporary offers for FM, just like now first season characters are discounted and PS Store, they could do the same for the in-game store, and allow temporal 'packs' get 5 characters for 400000FM money for example.

But i cannot complain, i got the game for 20€ and since i don't like many of the characters and couldn't care less for costumes or stages (at least for the price the ask you for), i am quite happy i can earn the FM to buy the characters i like.

There's room for improvement though.

FSLink

Banned

With how expensive it is per character during development of fighting games....no.
I mean it'd be nice of course but it's unrealistic.

Rymuth

On the general topic, I might include a disclaimer that normal survival is time consuming and suddenly difficult at the end, which will be a problem for new players or those using an unfamiliar character. OP should include tips about exploiting the AI, e.g., they are extremely susceptible to crossup jump in combos.

That's why I included the bit with the OP about podcasts. I never did Survival Normal consecutively. It's been a daily or even weekly effort. Just 10 minutes on SFV before jumping unto another game.

I will say that the jump HK --> crouch HK worked for most characters (just gotta put as much distance between them before doing it, the CPU oddly never sees it coming) - A few characters like Dhalsim can't exploit this, of course, so I resorted to spamming HK and crouch HP

Ucchedavāda;243984165 said:
The character demonstrations give you more than just 500 FM a piece.
The pop-up says 500 FM, but I ended up earning maybe 20k FM running through all but 4 of the season 2 character demonstrations. The SFV unlockables guide says that you also earn 1k XP, which explains the difference.

When I finish Survival on Normal, I usually earn 10k as opposed to the guide's 9k (probably because I didn't do the trials) - I do concede that my calculations may not be perfect but you should still be able to buy 6 characters of your choice following this method.

petran79

Banned
If you bought the game at launch, you got 16 characters. SFIV had 3 more at launch, but it wasn't a huge difference.

How is having the option to play the game to unlock characters (you can buy them if you want to) worse than?
SSFIV: £25 at launch
AE: £10.99 for DLC, and I think £20 at launch for physical
USFIV: £20 at launch

Keeping in mind that each update split the player base, too.

Again, this is ignoring the fact that 99% of players won't actually use all the characters anyway, and are just getting them for completion sake.

Upgrading from SFIV to USF4 was cheaper than buying the complete package of SFV.

Murdamonk

Im only purchasing the season passes with real money but for stages I want to purchase using fight money.

Right now my problem is knowing which characters Ive beaten survival with since that data isnt saved in the PS Plus cloud and all singleplayer content was reset when I upgraded to a PS4 Pro.

Is there any way to tell who Ive already completed survival\story\etc... with?

Are you sure? I am pretty sure that the content is saved on your CFN account. I have made the switch from Ps4 to PS4 Pro too, and all my stuff was still intact.

There is a flag next to the ones that you have already completed.

Top Bottom