• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to Earn an Entire Season worth of Characters in Street Fighter V

How in the fuck is a casual player supposed to beat all 30 stages of Normal Survival in 10 minutes? Much less with every character.

Edit: Outside of that part, the guide is solid, and proves that it technically can be done, but also highlights the fact that Capcom hasn't done shit to make getting FM any less of a chore. The story mode came out a year ago. They had a one-time login bonus when CFN2 came out, and there are challenges for folks that paid for the CPT dlc, but the system still sucks.

Playsage

It's almost nine hours spread out over fifty two intervals doing boring busy work. People have things to do, that doesn't include logging onto SFV every week to do some mindless random chore every week to get enough FM for 3 measly DLC characters. YES, THIS IS f2p MMO level of shitty grind
The FM system is clearly designed to reward people who plays it regularly.

If you can't even bring yourself to spend an hour weekly on it, you are probably not committed to the game.

So, a question gets raised:
Why do you even care about the new characters if you are not looking forward to playing this game?

Pompadour

That's right, I keep forgetting about this. Could you perhaps explain in a little bit more detail how this works? Do I just load up the CPT or Eleague page on the PS4's browser or do I need to log in somewhere with my SFV / CPT account?

On your PC or phone go to either live.capcomprotour.com or live.eleague.com and connect to your PSN account. Once that's done, you basically have to retweet tweets from these pages, share FB links, vote in polls, and watch the stream for an hour. All very easy stuff.

I find it difficult to believe the level of boring arcade mode that exists in past Street Fighter games is the difference between playing the game and dropping it.

At this point, you're either playing online, have invested friends for offline/attend an offline scene or you're not going to keep playing.

So the game does less than even the old Street Fighters. That's bad, but what's worse is the game is trying to exist in a world where other fighters have come a long way in terms of what players can expect for their money. When you have developers like Namco, Arc System Works, and NRS giving you plenty of content for your dollar, Street Fighter V is just terrible in comparison. This isn't even recent, they've been delivering that for 5+ years now and Capcom just can't or won't catch up. They used to try. It was called Street Figher Alpha 3. Now they are so used to people just giving them money because of the Street Fighter brand power.

Rymuth

How in the fuck is a casual player supposed to beat all 30 stages of Normal Survival in 10 minutes? Much less with every character.
Hi, I'm a casual.

I beat the Normal Survival by jumping HK and then crouching HK. I did it by tackling one character's Normal Survival a day.

What else do you wanna know :)

Pompadour

Time isn't really the factor here but rather being good enough to do it with every character. Easy Survival is pretty brain dead so I think most players can beat that with little effort. Normal might require some basic knowledge of the character and game, though.

Really, all you need for Normal Survival is a jump-in combo that you can do over and over.

Shin

Banned
So if I understand this correctly the way SFV works is...
The more you play the more you're rewarded, by doing so you're also prolonging the experience (the game itself as well as honing your skills in the process), yeah?
Why is that an issue or am I misunderstanding something here in it's execution, though other games have similar systems they don't "lock" characters behind "achievements".
If people complaining about that then I don't know what to say, it's basically an MMO like system, I can't fault Capcom for trying something different - if I understood this all correctly.

Upgrading from SFIV to USF4 was cheaper than buying the complete package of SFV.

Even counting the initial cost of vanilla SFIV in the first place, which I assume (I never had that one) would have been a full price game, so £35-£4

Also, you have to keep in mind that these updates were mandatory if you wanted to keep up with the game. Let's say I mained and only played Ryu; I'd still need to buy each version to keep up with the multiplayer scene for it. If I only used Ryu in SFV, then the cost of the game is all that matters, and I'll never be playing an outdated version.

ViviOggi

People calling this a great thread because they see lots of numbers? The OP's premise doesn't match the data, quite the opposite actually. This list very much proves the critic's core point: players have to go out of their way completing mind-numbing SP modes over and over again for a finite amount of FM that amounts to about one season of DLC characters. It is known. The issue is what you can gain past that - for regular MP play - which, as the OP themselves states multiple times, is very very little.

Good guide. The deluxe edition is currently £55 on PSN (lol), So I think I'll bookmark this for later reference when the price feels less like a 14" dildo.

Hi, I'm a casual.

I beat the Normal Survival by jumping HK and then crouching HK. I did it by tackling one character's Normal Survival a day.

What else do you wanna know :)

So it took you about 3 weeks? That's rough. Still don't see how folks would do it in 10 minutes considering there are 30 fights.

sibarraz

Banned
The FM system is clearly designed to reward people who plays it regularly.

If you can't even bring yourself to spend an hour weekly on it, you are probably not committed to the game.

So, a question gets raised:
Why do you even care about the new characters if you are not looking forward to playing this game?

The problem is, you already spent 60 dollars at launch (and less after all the sales that you have gotten) why do you have to grind to unlock characters in an already barebones game?

1 hour weekly of boring grinding is still a lot if you have a full time job, and that hour could be used in actually learning the game. Is bad that of all the modes that the game has, the most rewarding in money are the less rewarding in time and in learning the game

I don't mind the season pass model, but what triggers me is that is so expensive, for me the base game was $25 in a sale, the season pass 1 costs $40 in my country, Season 2 the same, with that money I bought KOF XIV and GG XRD rev 2 with all the DLC. Meanwhiile, Tekken season pass only costs me $25 and even though it only has 2 characters I still fell that the price is worthy since at least the full game is for the most part complete. Also I'm not even including the CFT yearly DLC which is very expensive for what it offers

Raw64life

The content of the OP reinforces why I won't buy this game until I can make a single purchase and get all the content available. The content of the OP sounds like the opposite of fun to me. I just want to buy the game, turn it on, and have access to all the characters.

Sayad

Edit: Outside of that part, the guide is solid, and proves that it technically can be done, but also highlights the fact that Capcom hasn't done shit to make getting FM any less of a chore. The story mode came out a year ago. They had a one-time login bonus when CFN2 came out, and there are challenges for folks that paid for the CPT dlc, but the system still sucks.
With most characters it can be done spamming one or two patterns. "Casual player" is pretty ambiguous though, say, a casual player who can throw fireballs with Giule and know how to use his V-Skill and flash kicks, would have no problem beating Normal survival mode just running away, throwing fireballs and countering jump ins with a flash kick. A casual player just spamming buttons, not willing to understand the character's moves or even take a moment to check them probably wont be able to finish survival on normal.

When I finish Survival on Normal, I usually earn 10k as opposed to the guide's 9k (probably because I didn't do the trials) - I do concede that my calculations may not be perfect but you should still be able to buy 6 characters of your choice following this method.

I'm not trying to refute you.
I'm was just saying that you earn more FM using this method than what you estimated. That, if anything, supports your post.

Fraeon

The content of the OP reinforces why I won't buy this game until I can make a single purchase and get all the content available. The content of the OP sounds like the opposite of fun to me. I just want to buy the game, turn it on, and have access to all the characters.

If playing the game sounds like the opposite of fun for you then maybe it won't be fun even if you had all of the characters? Just a thought.

And how many hours are steps 1-9 likely to take? 10. 20. 100?

It's all well and good as a premise that they're technically earnable, but if it's an unreasonable amount of time for a lot of people, it's not really a good argument for me.
About 18 hours for everything (calculating in my head by estimating timing a bit).

If somebody thinks 18 hours is too much time to be invested to earn $30 worth of DLC, then they're playing the wrong genre.

Pompadour

People calling this a great thread because they see lots of numbers? The OP's premise doesn't match the data, quite the opposite actually. This list very much proves the critic's core point: players have to go out of their way completing mind-numbing SP modes over and over again for a finite amount of FM that amounts to about one season of DLC characters. It is known. The issue is what you can gain past that - for regular MP play - which, as the OP themselves states multiple times, is very very little.

If this is an issue you can pay for the DLC. It's an option with SFV whereas it's mandatory for every other fighting game I can think of. No one is forcing anyone to earn FM.

And it's really not much of a grind, certainly not more grindy than unlocking characters in other games. I believe it took longer to unlock characters in vanilla SF4 and I remember it taking longer to grind enough to get Raven in Xrd.

Gaining enough FM is pitifully easy if you don't want everything in the game for free. You can buy SFV now for $18 and reasonably get every DLC character, including future ones, for free.

The only merit in your argument I see is that some of the singleplayer stuff is mind numbingly boring, which is true. I'd much rather prefer daily login bonuses, first match won bonuses, and in-match challenges a la 3SO, DSR, or MKX than playing the singleplayer stuff. But the easiest FM is tied to singleplayer, unfortunately, which is boring. But that isn't a knock against the FM model nor does it make it impossible to earn FM. Your actual complaint is that the singleplayer content isn't fun. These are two different things.

You can do that but you'll need to wait until 2021.

Rymuth

It is known. The issue is what you can gain past that - for regular MP play - which, as the OP themselves states multiple times, is very very little.

You've completely disregarded how I've said there are other ways to earn FM. The weekly challenges, provided you kept up with them, should have you set up by the time the next character drops. Otherwise, you can just use the money to pimp your main.

And really, though, do you need to buy *every* character?

Ucchedavāda;243985332 said:
I'm not trying to refute you.
I'm was just saying that you earn more FM using this method than what you estimated. That, if anything, supports your post.

D'ohohoho, no worries, mate. I knew your heart was in the right place. I was just making excuses for any potential critiques down the line.

petran79

Banned
Even counting the initial cost of vanilla SFIV in the first place, which I assume (I never had that one) would have been a full price game, so £35-£4

Also, you have to keep in mind that these updates were mandatory if you wanted to keep up with the game. Let's say I mained and only played Ryu; I'd still need to buy each version to keep up with the multiplayer scene for it. If I only used Ryu in SFV, then the cost of the game is all that matters, and I'll never be playing an outdated version.

I too unlocked Ibuki and Juri with FM. I'll probably stick to those two for a while. Rest of DLC characters didnt impress me. Except Urien.

Problem is that I play fg games mostly on a laptop for offline play. I have a desktop PC too. SFV is the only game I did not install on laptop. It would be pointless

KingBroly

Banned
Normal Survival is bullshit. If you think the ramp up at Stage 13 is bad, just wait til you see the ones at 24 and 27. It's not fun, it's grindy as all Hell and if you make 1 mistake you gotta start all over again.

Sorry TC you typed up all that to convince haters that don't even own this game. And have no interest at all to read what you have to say imo. Imo you wasted time and effort.

Raw64life

If playing the game sounds like the opposite of fun for you then maybe it won't be fun even if you had all of the characters? Just a thought.

A bad thought. I don't want to do grinding in fighting games. Grinding is not fun for me unless it's in a Dragon Quest game. I want to buy a game and play any mode I want, with any character I want, for as short or long as I feel like. That's what sounds like fun to me personally.

You can do that but you'll need to wait until 2021.

Except for SFV, gonna be more like a 3-4 year wait.

Yep.

About 18 hours for everything.

If somebody thinks 18 hours is too much time to be invested to earn $30 worth of DLC, then they're playing the wrong genre.
That's a piss poor return on time investment for grind through stupid tasks. If it was for actually playing online people would be praising it.

A bad thought. I don't want to do grinding in fighting games. Grinding is not fun for me unless it's in a Dragon Quest game. I want to buy a game and play any mode I want, with any character I want, for as short or long as I feel like. That's what sounds like fun to me personally.

If you don't want to grind, you can just buy the characters with real money.

There's no difference between buying a character pass and upgrading to the newer version of older Capcom Fighting games, apart from the fact if you don't like a set of characters, you're not required to buy them if you want to face the same online competition as everyone else, be playing with the same character balance as the tournament standard.

Take MvC3 for example. In my opinion, it would have been fantastic if they upgraded everyone who owned MvC3 to the UMvC3 balance patch, and added the option to either buy the new characters, or unlock them by playing game.

Neoxon

Even though I bought the Character Passes, I've been able to get most of the stages & all of the story costumes that I wanted with Fight Money (I paid for the Christmas bundle to save money on the costumes & save FM on the stage) through most of what you said, OP.

Also, Abigail may be my ticket to beating Hard & Extreme Survival thanks to his insane amount of health.

I remember PC mods to make extreme mode survival 1 round with 1 hit kills, but Capcom caught wind of it and docked FM from cheaters.

Pompadour

Upgrading from SFIV to USF4 was cheaper than buying the complete package of SFV.

SF4: $60 + $40 + $20 + $20 = 140 Vs. SFV: $60 + $30 + $30 = $120

Note that the cheapest method for SFV where you still get everything as soon as it's released also includes multiple character costumes whereas only the AE and Ultra characters had their costumes included (I think, that might not be true for SF4).

Note that you aren't forced to upgrade as SFV's model doesn't split the playerbase whereas SF4's does.

Note that you can still buy DLC a la carte, unlike SF4, or earn what characters or stages you want with FM.

Now, if you're doing some semantic gymnastics with your statement and what you mean is "Upgrading from SF4 to USF4 was cheaper" because you can technically skip SSF4 and AE then congratulations on being clever. Or if what you really mean is that the necessary upgrading from SF4 to USF4 is cheaper than buying every single piece of DLC in V then that's also correct. However, those comparisons would be apples to oranges.

How much of that was actually fun to play though?

Looks like a busy list you have to take care of from how I read it.

But it's cool for people who don't want to pay to have the option not to.

Bingo. It's a slog of a grind fest and incredibly unfun to earn fight money in this game. A lot of CAPCOM stand just can't admit that some of their business practices suck.

Astral

Survival Normal is not a reliable way to earn FM from what I remember and it's probably not even worth doing. The last two fights are really cheap and if you're unlucky, you've just wasted a good 15 minutes you could've spent earning FM in some other mode or having fun online or something.

Neoxon

I said it before and I repeat it, no new character should be paid DLC in a fighting game, it kills the balance and the matchup knowledge. Make the stages,music, skins whatever you want as a paid dlc but keep the characters and balance patches for free. Use the in game currency for colors or art gallery like Kof and Tekken 7 do .

The way capcom is treating this game is pretty scandalous tbh, 60$ for the initial game with 16 characters and more money for every costume/ character / stage they release. Its like the worst f2p game except that you have to pay a lot for the initial game too.
Ironic that you mention Tekken 7 & KoFXIV as both games have paid character DLC.

It's possible, especially with the 2nd round of trials.

Out of the 9 DLC characters released so far, I have 6 of them only using FM, with enough to buy another at the moment.

Unfortunately it might be a while before I do since none of these new characters do it for me. Hopefully Guy's master is pretty cool and changes that.

Granted, that means I don't have all the stages but characters>stages for me.

Forward

Don't you know that you've got to EARN the right to have access to the whole game? What? Did you think that initial $65 was payment enough? $65 let you get your foot in the door. Now you have to work for it. Grab your boot straps and dig deep.

Jawmuncher

As soon as I saw Hard More Story and Survival Mode easy I hoped out. Both of those modes are cheap as hell.

I'd rather pay.

Lulubop

Don't you know that you've got to EARN the right to have access to the whole game? What? Did you think that initial $65 was payment enough? $65 let you get your foot in the door. Now you have to work for it. Grab your boot straps and dig deep.

This is disingenuous af, just like all ypur SFV post all shit post.

Rymuth

From your post history, I can see that you're interested in getting Destiny 2 via the Nvidia deal. Can we expect this amount of complaining when Raids and Strikes are closed off for you because you haven't put in the work?

Bro what's wrong with you?

Like why are you even here? Why not do something you love instead of obsessing over something you'll always hate?

myco666

Normal Survival is bullshit. If you think the ramp up at Stage 13 is bad, just wait til you see the ones at 24 and 27. It's not fun, it's grindy as all Hell and if you make 1 mistake you gotta start all over again.

Normal Survival is okayish. Just bit boring. You also have to make more than one mistake to lose.

You got the whole game at launch. Post launch content being paid is not really that odd. You even get all the modes for free that Capcom will add in.

Timeaisis

It's just that easy!!

Some of us bought SFV to casually play with friends. Those are the people that feel gypped to all hell right now. I'm one of them.

It's just that easy!!

Some of us bought SFV to casually play with friends. Those are the people that feel gypped to all hell right now. I'm one of them.
Why? You got specifically what you paid for. From day one at knew dlc was coming and that you can either pay for it or earn it with fight money.

Karsha

Ironic that you mention Tekken 7 & KoFXIV as both games have paid character DLC.

Tekken tag 2 gave all the characters post release for free and as for right now has only one character as dlc (and during evo a lot of people were bitching that Elise users got far because no one knows the match up since only a few have her). Kof is a different case since the fans kept writing to snk about those characters but Ill give you that.
What you have to consider though is that both of those games have a lot of content and aren't developed only toward the online community, also tekken's grind is WAY more generous than the one in sf .

Having a new character every 2 month just kills the balance in a fighting game especially if they are behind a pay wall.

Fix survival in 2 easy steps.
1.) Buy a continue for 100k. Second continue will be 200k and so on.

2.)Add the DLC fighters to the rotation.

Top Bottom